Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Never seen anything excepcional here in the forums against paradox or their devs who post on SA

People here criticize games, tv shows, movies, artists, companies, anything, and be often pretty harsh. I never seen anything out of the normal directed to paradox, if anything I would say they get an easier time than most cause a lot of people here love their games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There was a dev who got pretty disheartened about how negative the Stellaris thread was. I don't remember who it was, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

There was a dev who got pretty disheartened about how negative the Stellaris thread was. I don't remember who it was, though.
It involved the thread title, right? It got changed fairly quickly if I remember correctly.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The Imperator release didn't go great for Johan, but that wasn't limited to just these forums. And they've done a pretty amazing job improving the game and addressing the criticism since.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

Isn't most of the crankiness/animosity towards paradox here mostly just against them as a whole or their various studios and not the individuals (except maybe for upper management since it is part of their job to be responsible)? It's not like anyone here is calling out for LordMune or Wiz personally to be burned at the stake for every single thing paradox has ever done wrong. I mean I called the people who did Leviathan incompetent and I stand by that, because it is bad, but if one of the people who worked on it would for some bizarre reason post here I would NEVER harass them or blame them personally for it. (but I definitely could have tried to phrase that whiny post better).

Oh, and I'm sorry and apologize for misreading the post previously.

I mean, goons were out here calling johan incompetent to his face over imperator/eu4. So, no, it wasn't mostly just against paradox as a whole, nor about any of the scandals. Paradox devs get poo poo on a lot here just in general.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jazerus posted:

the devs that post here are by and large not managers. the ones that are managers are either johan (who imo is a valid target given that this is, in many ways, his company even if he doesn't run it) or wiz, who immediately came out in support of the union. also at this point almost all of the paradox dev goons were goons first and became paradox devs later...i don't see the point in aiming criticism at them rather than the people who made the culture they were hired into, especially when they're all apparently in the union.

that’s sort of what I’m saying? I think we agree. The devs can only do so much vis-a-vis the management, and I think goons shouldn’t lay off discussing the myriad allegations against Paradox because the devs - who may well not be involved - might get upset. That doesn’t make sense.

And unfortunately, despite his forum superstar status here (see the post above), I completely think Johan had to have been complicit, especially with how close he was to Fredrik. And if not, ideally more information will come out exonerating him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You don't actually know what's going on and a dead internet comedy forum is not remotely an appropriate place to ask about this sort of stuff.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Goons shouldn't criticize bad games or talk about corporate misogyny because it might upset goons who work with the company" is a weird take.

It's fair and square not to attack these goons personally and directly, because thats just stupid.

But if one of them gets upset about people making GBS threads on Rome or stellaris, that's on them, not us. And if they get bummed out at us discussing these serious accusations of harassment and misogyny, they simply should take a step away from the forums and focus in helping their affected colleagues.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
We don't have to hold off on discussing the allegations because of the devs, no one's saying that. But we shouldn't bother asking the devs for more details, nor should we expect them to tell detailed stories about it. People whose real identities are linked to their forum accounts are not going to tell us non-public information about poo poo that is currently getting their employer lots of negative press.

I don't think anyone's saying we can't be mean to the Paradox employees who post here, they're just saying that we shouldn't be surprised if the Paradox devs stop posting here because they decide they have better things to do than get yelled at on an internet forum.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Sure is a lot of people imagining posts that didn't happen here.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Alchenar posted:

You don't actually know what's going on and a dead internet comedy forum is not remotely an appropriate place to ask about this sort of stuff.

no one is asking folks anything? What

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
You can criticize a paradox dev but only if your regdate is before theirs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LordMune posted:

Eh. My experience is that I've moved on to positions of greater responsibility so I'm slightly more careful about what I say/have less time to say it, but that's the only relevant internal change. The tone of online discourse absolutely impacts willingness to engage.

As mentioned, certain (ill-defined) public displays of disloyalty towards your employer are illegal in Sweden, so don't take silence/obliqueness on this issue from me or anyone else the wrong way. What I can say personally is that, uh, I'm a member of the union. CK3's content design team was majority-female for a long stretch while I ran it, and I worked hard to make sure that they were heard and seen. I recommended a woman to succeed me as content design lead on Stellaris. And there are others who share my values and priorities at PDS.

That's good to hear! Keep it up! :toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lady Radia posted:

no one is asking folks anything? What

DrSunshine posted:

Paradox Goons: Have you witnessed anything like this in your meetings and teams? Do you have women employees in your team? What do you do to include their input?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cease to Hope posted:

Stellaris has become maybe my favourite Paradox game by now, so that dev is hopefully happier now (even if the last patch/DLC or two just added stuff nobody cares about).

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh i did miss that. Very dumb post

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Zeron posted:

The Imperator release didn't go great for Johan, but that wasn't limited to just these forums. And they've done a pretty amazing job improving the game and addressing the criticism since.

I’ve stopped posting much on the internet after imperator unless i really have to. However, these forums were not exactly that hostile though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Grevlek posted:

Youre safe this time Johan......

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If I've got Archangel's reg date beat both here and on the PDX forums, does that mean he is obligated to make a Communist Germany path? It does, doesn't it?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Grevlek posted:

Oh it's loving on now

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mans posted:

"Goons shouldn't criticize bad games or talk about corporate misogyny because it might upset goons who work with the company" is a weird take.

You're right, that is a weird take, so it's a good thing that nobody has ever posted it here.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grevlek posted:

*Looks at Johan's regdate*
I can live with this.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I feel like there's a lot of talking past eachother the last page or so. I think the two things everyone can agree on are, 1. Paradox's management has been openly complicit with sexual harassment and belittling on a fundamental scale for years, if not since founding, and 2. Paradox's CEO is literally being "wow this is such a shock" after coming back into power when the last woman CEO stepped down, despite allegations against him directly, and that's Really Bad.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Johan said he's a member of the union, so he's definitely not management. His role sounds more like a technical lead than a personnel manager anyway

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay the thing to remember is that Paradox Interactive started out as a 7 man studio that achieved escape velocity from the bankruptcy and breakup of Target Games. There's an in-between moment where Fredrik gets brought in to advise on strategy for Paradox Entertainment and when the board decides to double down on making unsuccessful AAA games rather than repeat the successful grand strategy formula he buys out the video games division which I believe includes Johan (does this story seem familiar?).

So without really having any detail as to what's going on, rather than assume individual malice it seems more likely that Paradox just did what hundreds of other small companies that experience rapid growth have done, which is that they didn't quite get right the necessary cultural shift as they grew and had a core who kept on acting like they were a company half dozen guys taking on the world rather than a medium-to-large international enterprise with hundreds of employees.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh fair points as they may be that still ultimately rubs me as apologia, you could just not be misogynist in the first place maybe

edit: nvm I think I understand the point you're making better. Still not exactly exonerating for anyone involved tho

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 15, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I'm not trying to make claims either way, the point is more that as outsiders it's not productive to assume malice or demand names for the pitchforks (the pitchforks in question being angry posts on the internet rather than a formal/union process in Sweden that might actually make things better). The thing that is useful for us to understand as outsiders are the structural problems that lead to this happening, because that's more likely to have relevance to us in our real lives.

e: /\/\ I do get what you are saying, but I suspect having a policy of 'just try not to be misogynist, okay' is probably a part of how Paradox has ended up with all these accusations.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 15, 2021

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Alchenar posted:

Okay the thing to remember is that Paradox Interactive started out as a 7 man studio that achieved escape velocity from the bankruptcy and breakup of Target Games. There's an in-between moment where Fredrik gets brought in to advise on strategy for Paradox Entertainment and when the board decides to double down on making unsuccessful AAA games rather than repeat the successful grand strategy formula he buys out the video games division which I believe includes Johan (does this story seem familiar?).

So without really having any detail as to what's going on, rather than assume individual malice it seems more likely that Paradox just did what hundreds of other small companies that experience rapid growth have done, which is that they didn't quite get right the necessary cultural shift as they grew and had a core who kept on acting like they were a company half dozen guys taking on the world rather than a medium-to-large international enterprise with hundreds of employees.

rather than assume individual malice on behalf of the perpetrators? Uh are you serious? I get this isnt an issue with them using an UNPROFESSIONAL WALLPAPER, something you care deeply about, but

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Part of the problem is that policies have to address two separate scenarios for bullying/harassment.

(1) people who know exactly what they are doing and revel in it. Honestly I don’t think there are a lot of people like this but it’s not zero either.

(2) people who don’t understand where the boundaries are or the impact them being them has on other people. Lots of reasons for this; they could be clueless, slow, low empathy, autistic, from a more conservative cultural background, etc. It seems very likely that games companies are overrepresented with this group.

Usually people in category (2) go through a period of cognitive dissonance and then re-evaluate and become nicer people when they realise they’ve upset someone. Like, re examine and update their idea of what the social rules are. Sometimes it takes more than one instance. I don’t really know anyone who switched over to category (1): every so often someone threatens to but it’s usually just part of reconciling the cognitive dissonance and they eventually rejoin the mainstream.

This means that at any given time a policy is probably not harsh enough for the real problem people and too harsh for the rest. It’s a hard one to solve; deciding where the line is is an inherently social thing and the line is moving all the time whereas the policy is fixed until someone changes it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

rather than assume individual malice on behalf of the perpetrators? Uh are you serious? I get this isnt an issue with them using an UNPROFESSIONAL WALLPAPER, something you care deeply about, but

I mean rather than calling out random devs on social media and demand that they justify why they aren't a terrible person. Or assuming that the people at the top of Paradox deliberately set out to create an environment where sexual harassment is a norm.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 15, 2021

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

calling out random devs on social media is dumb and they’ve already been laughed out of here, but I’m pretty shocked you’re talking about how we shouldn’t believe allegations against Fredrik because “who knows what happened”.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

calling out random devs on social media is dumb and they’ve already been laughed out of here, but I’m pretty shocked you’re talking about how we shouldn’t believe allegations against Fredrik because “who knows what happened”.

I'm not saying we shouldn't believe specific allegations, particularly the ones he's held his hands up to. I'm saying that an awful lot of leaping is being done from 'Fredrik once did a bad thing and got immediately called out for it by HR' to why exactly Paradox evidently has a lovely culture, and I particularly don't think it's helpful to be trying to engage Paradox employees in this leaping when there is a company and union process going on.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
There's value to being judicious about allegations but didn't Paradox rehire Fredrik after all this stuff came out internally and he left? If you believe the allegations against him then Paradox necessarily has a lovely culture.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am surprised. I thought this stuff was almost stamped out here in Scandinavia, but then again I have never worked in very male dominated industries.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hryme posted:

I am surprised. I thought this stuff was almost stamped out here in Scandinavia, but then again I have never worked in very male dominated industries.

Anecdotal and all, but my gf from Russia and woman friends from both sides of the atlantic, pretty much universally find euro, including scandinavian, men to be significantly pushier and more aggressive than in North America. And that's not a compliment to North America. It's a huge problem just swept under the rug. People just shrug and go "well, we must be more progressive than anywhere else, right? Right??"

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I can imagine sexual harassment. But refusing to listen to someone because of their gender just seems alien to me. That seems like the 1950ies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

I'm not saying we shouldn't believe specific allegations, particularly the ones he's held his hands up to. I'm saying that an awful lot of leaping is being done from 'Fredrik once did a bad thing and got immediately called out for it by HR' to why exactly Paradox evidently has a lovely culture, and I particularly don't think it's helpful to be trying to engage Paradox employees in this leaping when there is a company and union process going on.
The story that started all this was 69% of the women surveyed by the union reporting that they had experienced abusive treatment, with Fredrik's actions being but one example of such. People are not extrapolating from Fredrik, the Fredrik stories just support the idea that PI has a lovely culture, since no one in charge seems to care about it outside the bad press.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Alchenar posted:

:psyduck: So you're telling us to ignore the multiple surveys conducted which show there's a systematic cultural issue at Paradox, again, because "we have no idea what's going on"? Again, sorry it doesn't measure up to the wallpaper poo poo you melted down about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

:psyduck: So you're telling us to ignore the multiple surveys conducted which show there's a systematic cultural issue at Paradox, again, because "we have no idea what's going on"? Again, sorry it doesn't measure up to the wallpaper poo poo you melted down about.

No you are repeatedly misreading my posts, which I presume is whatever got you banned and forced you to re-reg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lady Radia posted:

All Alchenar is saying is don't go after individuals that haven't had confirmed knocks against them and blaming or extending blame to them for the systemic culture issue at Paradox. It's not our place to do that. Definitely signal boost stories and reports, but don't witch hunt anyone who just so happens to work for the company.