Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is a bad version of Tymna in Grixis still good? I guess we'll see.

These look like poo poo and I suspect the UBRG partners friends forever are going to be CEDH playable, but the good news is that if they ever get Drake to play on that YouTube show that Post Malone was on there's at least one commander he'll be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

These look like poo poo and I suspect the UBRG partners friends forever are going to be CEDH playable, but the good news is that if they ever get Drake to play on that YouTube show that Post Malone was on there's at least one commander he'll be interested in.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

All the universes beyond stuff really doesn't bother me at all tbh. Like yeah the lore and settings of MtG are cool but non-canon stuff doesn't change that and the core mechanics are what makes it so good anyway.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Reminder that these mechanically unique SL cards will be reprinted about six months after the SL via The List in a normal magic set with normal magic appropriate name/theme.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-universes-beyond-update-2021-06-07

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Weatherlight was reputedly terrible, but after that there wasn't much story for the longest time, unless you wanted to go read the books. Except for that period from 97-01 until like, maybe the start of the gatewatch in 2015, most people only knew as much about the 'story' as could be gleaned from the cards, and there wasn't enough on the cards to put it all together. But the flavor was popular with the people playing, and had overarching boundaries ranging from Mirrodin to Lorwyn such that it felt like a diverse multiverse while still being a fundamentally fantasy game. The latest changes go against that constant, which is jarring people who've been involved with the game for a substantial length of time, even if they never cared about the specifics.

idk, some of the planes have already stretched the boundaries of what a fantasy card game called "magic the gathering" might evoke that the recent announcements just feel like they stopped pretending.

I think the main difference is that the crossovers explicitly spill over into different brands, which people had always compartmentalized into separate parts of their brains before. The IGN article talks about "lore burnout" which I hadn't really considered before but makes sense, so maybe people will just get used to it on the basis of having too much other poo poo to track.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

All the universes beyond stuff really doesn't bother me at all tbh. Like yeah the lore and settings of MtG are cool but non-canon stuff doesn't change that and the core mechanics are what makes it so good anyway.

Same, my only complaint is they didn't do them for cool franchises (poo poo I like). I have a pretty good tolerance for ugly rear end cards. I hope that the Street Fighter cards are good.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 14, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aranan posted:

Reminder that these mechanically unique SL cards will be reprinted about six months after the SL via The List in a normal magic set with normal magic appropriate name/theme.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-universes-beyond-update-2021-06-07

It's bullshit they just put them in "The List" in the first place and not just as a rare or mythic in the actual set itself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

It's bullshit they just put them in "The List" in the first place and not just as a rare or mythic in the actual set itself.

We'll see. They said that they're going to make them more common than other cards in The List so this might be a Nexus of Fate situation where even though you can't technically open it in a set and get it in your Mythic slot they'll at least be reasonably priced.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Same, my only complaint is they did them for cool franchises (poo poo I like). I have a pretty good tolerance for ugly rear end cards. I hope that the Street Fighter cards are good.

Same, looking forward to the LotR set too

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk, some of the planes have already stretched the boundaries of what a fantasy card game called "magic the gathering" might evoke that the recent announcements just feel like they stopped pretending.

which planes are these?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The weatherlight saga was unpopular? poo poo, I thought it was rad with a bunch of cool characters you followed through all sorts of adventures and neat worlds. Mercadia was a not great set but the setting was rad, Rath was a great setting, etc.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chakan posted:

e: leaving my stuff intact, but geez this article goes into so much. I don't see anyone really getting into the biggest issue I have with magic, that cards are getting so complex and have so much text on them. Ragavan is the poster child, but at least it's mostly a triggered ability I guess.

Every year for the past 5+ years, Maro says they're concerned about the high complexity levels of sets and every year the sets stay complex. I'd suspect their focus group testing is telling them to simplify but real-world data is showing it doesn't matter unless it gets to Time-Spiral set levels.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Every year for the past 5+ years, Maro says they're concerned about the high complexity levels of sets and every year the sets stay complex. I'd suspect their focus group testing is telling them to simplify but real-world data is showing it doesn't matter unless it gets to Time-Spiral set levels.

I think Questing Beast is about as complicated as I want a card to get. There's a shitload of text on the card and it does a bunch of different things (Vigilance, Haste, Deathtouch, can't be chumped, damage prevention doesn't work, hits Planeswalkers collaterally?) but it feels awesome to cast and play with. The STX deans that have tons of text on them and the punchline is a card that's barely even limited playable are such a waste. If you're going to make me read, it better be worth it!

https://scryfall.com/card/stx/152/kianne-dean-of-substance-imbraham-dean-of-theory

Like what the gently caress is this?? You couldn't remove one hoop from either side of the card? School sucks.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 14, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want cards that read like Yugioh cards

Port Relinquished into Magic and let's work from there

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam posted:

Is a bad version of Tymna in Grixis still good? I guess we'll see.

Oh boy mechanically unique secret lair cards again

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Valentin/Lisette is great and just waiting for the meta to become friendlier to creatures, and is also a fun commander

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have absolutely no idea how Yu-Gi-Oh works. Would watching the anime help

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Weatherlight was a ST:TNG knockoff the way that the Gatewatch is an Avengers knockoff

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Not at all. Ygo has like 1 keyword and it's not good, everything else is spelled out. Just walls of text, and a relatively tiny texbox.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yugioh is playing Storm such that you end up with creatures that have 8 separate copies of Force of Will on the board bolted to them at the end of your turn and saying "your go".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

whydirt posted:

Weatherlight was a ST:TNG knockoff the way that the Gatewatch is an Avengers knockoff

The airship was cool though

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

The anime is 1 step removed from preschoolers going nu-uh I'm invincible in terms of actually resembling the rules of the game. Shout outs to the episodes that rely on physics engines in. VR.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

I was like 13 when I realized the heart of the cards was Yu Gi just stacking his deck like the kids who thought they were being sligh while cheating at the lunch tables playing magic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think Yugi's hair looks pretty stupid. Also I didn't realize until now that the manga/anime came first and then they made the TCG based on it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I was like 13 when I realized the heart of the cards was Yu Gi just stacking his deck like the kids who thought they were being sligh while cheating at the lunch tables playing magic.

Joey is the only duelist who legitimately plays on a level playing field, Yugi has literal puzzle magic to draw what he needs and Kaiba bullies people with his money.

Marik coasts on a chicken while torturing people for kicks, the game is whack

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think Yugi's hair looks pretty stupid. Also I didn't realize until now that the manga/anime came first and then they made the TCG based on it

Apparently it was all sorts of different games at first until they eventually, but pretty early on, did a riff on Magic that was really popular so they just rolled with it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

which planes are these?

mirrodin, kaladesh, ixalan, not to mention the design of stuff like urza mechs

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want cards that read like Yugioh cards

Port Relinquished into Magic and let's work from there

Unironically Relinquished is really easy to do as a Magic card. Pay a cost, exile target creature, Relinquished has the types, effects, power and toughness of all creatures exiled by its own effect. Place one creature exiled by Relinquished in its owner's graveyard, Relinquished becomes indestructible this turn.

Make it a Colorless or White/Black Angel horror.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mirrodin, kaladesh, ixalan, not to mention the design of stuff like urza mechs

All those settings are cool as hell though.

If magic actually existed we wouldn't still be in the middle ages so why not extrapolate that and see what you can do with the concepts instead of yet another Tolkien rehash?

Hey magic can make a rat grow to the size of a house or you can have an artifact that makes time go backwards, but a car? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Artifice has always been an important part of Magics setting, though the post-industrial-revolution-ness of Kaldesh is somewhat qualmsome. I don't get the complaint about Ixilan though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Artifice has always been an important part of Magics setting, though the post-industrial-revolution-ness of Kaldesh is somewhat qualmsome. I don't get the complaint about Ixilan though.

the core conceit of ixalan is dinosaurs vs pirates

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

should it instead have been dragons vs knights, for the 39th time?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Oh, ok, that makes sense.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

should it instead have been dragons vs knights, for the 39th time?

Check out their username

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Check out their username

Lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not sure you guys are actually disagreeing with each other lol. Magic has had a bunch of different sets with a bunch of different themes and aesthetics. TWD and ST stuff is weird but it's not that out of place in a game that's all about being a super wizard that can warp between different worlds, and even if you absolutely hate them how often are you actually playing against them? I've seen Rick like five times in two years.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Check out their username

lmao

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

all i know about yugi-oh is he could suspiciously top-deck any card he needed. i only saw the early episodes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

all i know about yugi-oh is he could suspiciously top-deck any card he needed. i only saw the early episodes though

So can literally every single one of my opponents