Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
BZ on Xbox is pissing me off. I randomly get movement glitches where your character keeps moving forward and backward for a half-second past when you let go of the stick. I think there's supposed to be a little momentum, but it's really really obnoxious sometimes. It happens when I'm in my base, swimming, and on land, and it's not controller drift because everything else works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There's a Beacon Manager?! I just discovered the beacon manager! I can keep the locations of the old signals on my map, instead of leaving beacons there. I can hide the camera beacons! I can change colors of beacons to say, give a common color for bases! If I'd known about this 20 hours ago, I wouldn't have made 20+ beacons!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No you would have just made more beacons, knowing that they could be toggled.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Never enough beacons.

They are the true map.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Survivor's Log posted:

I don't think I'm alone here, and I'm not talking about the sea creatures trying to eat me. Something is hunting me - at least two somethings, because I intercepted another radio signal, which means that there's a second something out there to be talked to. It says there's only one target left. I think they mean me.

That means all the others are dead now. Not that I ever saw any of them alive. I've been here so long. So long. So alone. Maybe I'm just going mad... but I can't take that chance. I don't think my base by the lifepod is safe now. I've been here too long. It's too visible.

I'm setting up a fallback base. If you're human, and are looking for me, I found this great spot DCCLXXX meters, two notches Santa of Cowboy from Lifepod 05. It's difficult to see, but it's still reasonably accessible. I've moved half my supplies and resources there. I've split up and hidden my fleet, I don't want to cluster them all in one spot anymore. I just have to hope that it's enough, if the worst comes to worse.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 14, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that from the game? I can just about parse it but I haven't ever found anything like that when I played.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Could be a time capsule role play.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:( I was just trying to add flavor to my post saying that I decided to expand one of my bases, and move half my stuff there, because I legitimately am concerned about those creepy radio messages. The spot I found is 780 meters from the pod in the direction two notches north of west, and it's a good spot, at the edge where three biomes meet, but sheltered by high cliffs and giant coral mushroom trees, making it hard to spot.

They made me paranoid enough that don't want to leave all my stuff in one location anymore, even though the gamer part of me is pretty sure nothing will actually happen to my base.

Anyway, aside from that, is there a way to grow my own Table Coral from samples?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 14, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Anyway, aside from that, is there a way to grow my own Table Coral from samples?
As far as I can remember, I don't think so? On the bright side, the regular coral to make bleach is seemingly infinite per node. Which is why I probably tended to make my initial hobo base near some.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 14, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Section Z posted:

As far as I can remember, I don't think so? On the bright side, the regular coral to make bleach is seemingly infinite per node. Which is why I probably tended to make my initial hobo base near some.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, too. Just empty your inventory save for your knife, and go hog wild.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Subnautica is easily in my top 3 games of all time and I finally picked up Below Zero. It's pretty good so far, but what I really want now is for the buildings and QOL improvements to be back ported to Subnautica. Large rooms and glass ceilings in particular

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Omnicarus posted:

Subnautica is easily in my top 3 games of all time and I finally picked up Below Zero. It's pretty good so far, but what I really want now is for the buildings and QOL improvements to be back ported to Subnautica. Large rooms and glass ceilings in particular

Yeah, definitely feel the same way, also that it should be fairly trivial to do? Pretty much zero of the mods I glanced at for Subnautica looked interesting to me, but I'd love something that ported the BZ stuff over.

I had a bit of a reverse culture shock when I went back to Subnautica and tried to use the emergency float thingie - it's borderline useless in the original game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wasn't the next planned update going to sort of get the first game closer to the functionality of BZ?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Plenty of small but very useful Subnautica mods.
Better Scanner Blips - so they are larger the closer to you they are
PDARadio - So you dont have to keep running back to your base to hear a message, especially cause they always come up after you just left
Power Order - to let you set to always use a specific power generator first
Cyclops Docking - to let you connect to your base to keep from moving all your batteries back and forth for charging
Base Clocks - so you know the suns about to set and to sleep before heading out

I run about 20 total SN mods and 27 BZ.
Just makes life easier, but I can see how someone wouldnt want a massive inventory, I just like to cut out grinding.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OgNar posted:

Power Order - to let you set to always use a specific power generator first

Pet peeve (aside from the bizarre power implementation in general) but also isn't there an objectively 'correct' order for this? Thermal->Solar->Bio->Nuke? Thermal is always-on and free so there's no reason not to tap it, solar is free but cyclical so its battery savings are valuable, and for bio/nuke there may be some preference but one is renewable and the other's overkill (but not wasteful if underutilized iirc).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats generally how I have it, though if I recall Nuke generates power whether its being used or not (like the rods have a life, I could be wrong on this though), so I tend to take out the others if I have Nuke there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really wish there was something in vanilla SN that let you connect lockers to your fabricator, and anything you wanted to make can be pulled from your stash.

I play on Switch, so I can't mod it in, unfortunately.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I trampled the Prawn Suit through the Lost River and found the Disease Research Facility. Or rather, I left a Beacon, then turned around and left since I was full up on stuff and I wanted more maneuverability. I'm still exploring it. I have learned that the next breadcrumb leads beyond the limit my faithful "Mothy" can go.

Pretty funny that it's brighter down there than it is at the 150 feet mark in the Barrens.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I trampled the Prawn Suit through the Lost River and found the Disease Research Facility. Or rather, I left a Beacon, then turned around and left since I was full up on stuff and I wanted more maneuverability. I'm still exploring it. I have learned that the next breadcrumb leads beyond the limit my faithful "Mothy" can go.

Pretty funny that it's brighter down there than it is at the 150 feet mark in the Barrens.

Yeah, without mods, that’s it for your moth. There’s a good area for a base with thermal vents down there. A nice calm peaceful area, you’ll know it when you see it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, without mods, that’s it for your moth. There’s a good area for a base with thermal vents down there. A nice calm peaceful area, you’ll know it when you see it.

Yeah, here I was, thinking I was so smart and unique by setting up my base there, then later on, I'm seeing that practically everyone does that (as they should, great place).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I suddenly have the urge to work much faster on the main plot!

I explored a bit farther and found two or three directions to go. One led to an area which only went below 900 feet. I wasn't going to explore that without a vehicle. I found a second passage which was actually incredibly wide, and led on a gentle slope up to near the surface. Unfortunately, I had already dropped my only two beacons, so I had to take a careful compass and distance bearing in order to find my way back. (It was 1500 meters, about 1.5 notches East of Northeast.) I have the idiotic idea of carefully taking the Cyclops down to explore. Of course, there is the slight issue of the really ANGRY Leviathan thing down there, but one issue at a time.

At the very least, I should load the Cyclops close, loaded with supplies, and head in in something less obtrusive to find a spot to set up a base which can serve as a place with a renewable supply of food and water.

I successfully found my way back with some Beacons, and marked the entrance, and an unexplored shipwreck along the path.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Serephina posted:

Pet peeve (aside from the bizarre power implementation in general) but also isn't there an objectively 'correct' order for this? Thermal->Solar->Bio->Nuke? Thermal is always-on and free so there's no reason not to tap it, solar is free but cyclical so its battery savings are valuable, and for bio/nuke there may be some preference but one is renewable and the other's overkill (but not wasteful if underutilized iirc).

Remember, whenever you're dealing with power 'order' issues, 'thermal' is deceptive, insofar as it only 'counts' if you have a thermal plant directly connected to your base. Since thermal plants can only reach, like, 2 or 3 meters directly, and you'll use power transmitters to actually connect them to your bases, you need to place *power transmitters* up where you actually think of thermal as a power source. This can get a little weird if you place power transmitters close enough, on a base that also has them, to solar panels, too, though, so best to keep them on 'the other side' of the base from any you have.

So the best order would be power transmitters->thermal->solar->bio->nuke.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

OgNar posted:

Thats generally how I have it, though if I recall Nuke generates power whether its being used or not (like the rods have a life, I could be wrong on this though), so I tend to take out the others if I have Nuke there.

Nuclear reactors store up to 2500 power at a given time (solar gets 200, bio gets 500, thermal gets 300, if I recall correctly), and provides said power at a rate of roughly 4 points per second, WAY faster than any of the other power sources. Each rod contains 20,000 units of power.

So a nuclear reactor powering a base with a constant sizeable power draw, which generally only happens with a bunch of fancy exterior lighting (which is still the one thing that kind of annoys me outright about the game's design, exterior lights being such a huge non-relenting power draw), or your hanging around constantly withdrawing large bottles of water from water purification units, and one rod, would run out of power in, like, 80 minutes.

Rods have no expiration date, though, they only deplete when all their stored energy gets poured into the nuclear reactor. I've had small/medium out of the way bases powered only by a nuclear reactor and a single rod that lasted without breaking a sweat or ever using up a single rod over dozens of hours, because I only stopped by occasionally to recharge my power cells, batteries, and grab a couple bottles of water, without ever suffering a brownout or a hitch in the process, even charging, like, 4 power cells and 4 batteries and with a water filtration unit or two running at the same time, due to that huge pool of 2500 and 4 more pouring in per second.

Obviously, renewable sources of power are limitless, so in the long term, they'll always outdo a nuclear reactor for efficiency (especially thermal, since it requires no upkeep and doesn't stop drawing power half the time), but nuclear power can be *very* useful, and it's well worth the resources in many bases where any other source of power besides bio is unavailable, particularly given that bio charges sloooooooooooooooooooooow, so any strain risks brownouts on your bases.

(also, rods really aren't hard to make, the only component that's tough to find is highly abundant in numerous locations, so it's not hard to full a reactor with 4 rods and have enough power to run a massive extravagant base non-stop for hours at a time with only, like, 10, maybe 15 minutes of work)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Subnautica’s atmosphere and world-building (plus the grinning spectre of early access) has all of us fooled, still: there isn’t a reason not to build a nuclear reactor and a rod for it as soon as you possibly can, there’s more uranium on the map than you could ever use, and it’s no longer 1 rod for every 1.3 full water meters or whatever EA was.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Omnicarus posted:

Also the jukebox and placable speakers, please.

That added so much atmosphere to my base.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't the real bottleneck for Nukes something like lead, instead of the green stuff? I can't recall what else it needed for rods, but I never made them since BZ had weird shortages.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I'm now getting scared to check my radio. I do not like some of these messages.

(survivor's log)

The spot I found is 780 meters from the pod in the direction two notches north of west, and it's a good spot, at the edge where three biomes meet, but sheltered by high cliffs and giant coral mushroom trees, making it hard to spot.

They made me paranoid enough that don't want to leave all my stuff in one location anymore, even though the gamer part of me is pretty sure nothing will actually happen to my base.

The radio messages in general do a great job to set the tone and mood of the game. It reminds me of playing through Demon's Souls blind back on the PS3.

You get a few scant details of the world around you. They paint a very bleak picture and leave a lot of questions unanswered.

As you traverse the game's world in solitude, your mind fills in all the blanks. You find the answers. None of them are reassuring. You are alone out here. And it's bad. Real bad.

When you've been playing for a while and you know you're pushing your limits and literally/metaphorically going out of your depth, and then you get those messages, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

It's not a jump scare. It's a slow sinking feeling, and you're trying to ignore everything that's going wrong. I can do this, I can survive, if I just-

▀▖┗▛▄▖▜▚┣ ▜▚┗┣┗┫┓┏┓ ▛▄▖┅┗▖. ┣┗┏▛▄▖▜┏┣ ▚ ▖▞┣┗▖┗┣. ┣┗▖┃▀▚▗┏┏┓. ▖┛▀┗▞┃┏▄ ▛┏┗▄▖▜▚┣ ┅▖┗━▖ ▖┓┫▞┣ ▚ ▛▄┅┗▖ ▚ ▖▞┣┗▖┗┣ ▚┛▘▞━▖┅..

gently caress

oh gently caress

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Warning: :words: ahead.

My plan to take a 40-foot sub into a cave worked out pretty well. I packed it full of supplies, everything I thought I'd need to set up a base. The sonar worked really well at letting me cruise safely through the tunnel... but it drained the hell out of my Power Cells. (I learned that you hear a tone when a power cell depletes.)

I don't know where the spot "everyone" builds a base is at, but I chose a pretty quiet spot at about 680-ish meters down - pretty deep, but not within eyeshot of the Juvenile Ghost Thingee Leviathan. I put down some foundations over a vent and put up a multi-purpose chamber, two Thermal power plants, and some connectors to link on a scanner room and Moonpool.

I did not pack enough copper, which was a problem when it came to building advanced equipment, and I suddenly needed to build a Power Cell Recharger, and there was no copper in sight. After the base was set up, I poked ahead with the Prawn Suit, and made my way down into the lava depths. ...but only far enough to get some Kyranite, because I was approaching crush depth - again. I harvested about 13 units... then realized I needed to build a Modification Station, because the fabricators only created the base item.

I also had several heart-stopping moments, venturing out without my suit to gather limestone chunks from the area right near the Leviathan, desperately hoping to get enough copper without needing to walk all the way out. I discovered that it seems to hunt on sight, and if you hide right behind an object, it doesn't see you and gives up. I also almost drowned because it was a LONG way back to the moonpool from where the chunks were, barely getting in with 6 units of O2 left.

Once I had my equipment, there was yet another setback: You need to have a "Crush Depth Increase" component in order to craft the higher level of it, but my Cyclops "Mammoth" was already sitting UNDER the default crush depth of 500m, which meant I needed to go scavenge up components to make a MK 1 Crush Depth Increase, so I could take out the MK 2 one so I could upgrade it.

On the Cyclops' radar, Yellow triangles are moderate-sized predators, and Red are BIG predators, right?

I'm honestly not really sure what everyone is doing that they need nuclear reactors to keep the lights on. A couple indoor gardens and a Bioreactor does a lot for my needs. Not that I could make one anyway, I'm short one piece of a blueprint.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 15, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the color indicates how mad/alerted the predator is, not size. Red means they are chasing you.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LonsomeSon posted:

Subnautica’s atmosphere and world-building (plus the grinning spectre of early access) has all of us fooled, still: there isn’t a reason not to build a nuclear reactor and a rod for it as soon as you possibly can, there’s more uranium on the map than you could ever use, and it’s no longer 1 rod for every 1.3 full water meters or whatever EA was.

I'm already loving up this beautiful alien world, the reef as a whole is a goddamn rainforest in terms of biodiversity. Marring the landscape with my tin can bases is crime enough against the beauty of nature.

Everything wants to kill me and I will probably die here alone and unknown. But I'm not going to go around leaving toxic slurries that will poison nature's canvas for tens of thousands of years.

Don't be a biospherical hitler that poisons everything on this virgin alien planet longer than humans IRL have done agriculture and civilization. Plug your base into a thermal power plant, you fuckwit

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 15, 2021

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
My deep bases are powered by fully renewable external grow beds. :420: It's a good thing it doesn't matter how withered a sample gets, you can still plant them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I'm already loving up this beautiful alien world, the reef as a whole is a goddamn rainforest in terms of biodiversity. Marring the landscape with my tin can bases is crime enough against the beauty of nature.

Everything wants to kill me and I will probably die here alone and unknown. But I'm not going to go around leaving toxic slurries that will poison nature's canvas for tens of thousands of years.

Don't be a biospherical hitler that poisons everything on this virgin alien planet longer than humans IRL have done agriculture and civilization. Plug your base into a thermal power plant, you fuckwit

lol I’ve never built a nuclear plant in any version of Submautica, that I can remember, because the atmosphere-building made me agree with you completely

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My plan to take a 40-foot sub into a cave worked out pretty well. I packed it full of supplies, everything I thought I'd need to set up a base. The sonar worked really well at letting me cruise safely through the tunnel... but it drained the hell out of my Power Cells. (I learned that you hear a tone when a power cell depletes.)

I don't know where the spot "everyone" builds a base is at, but I chose a pretty quiet spot at about 680-ish meters down - pretty deep, but not within eyeshot of the Juvenile Ghost Thingee Leviathan. I put down some foundations over a vent and put up a multi-purpose chamber, two Thermal power plants, and some connectors to link on a scanner room and Moonpool.

I did not pack enough copper, which was a problem when it came to building advanced equipment, and I suddenly needed to build a Power Cell Recharger, and there was no copper in sight. After the base was set up, I poked ahead with the Prawn Suit, and made my way down into the lava depths. ...but only far enough to get some Kyranite, because I was approaching crush depth - again. I harvested about 13 units... then realized I needed to build a Modification Station, because the fabricators only created the base item.

I also had several heart-stopping moments, venturing out without my suit to gather limestone chunks from the area right near the Leviathan, desperately hoping to get enough copper without needing to walk all the way out. I discovered that it seems to hunt on sight, and if you hide right behind an object, it doesn't see you and gives up. I also almost drowned because it was a LONG way back to the moonpool from where the chunks were, barely getting in with 6 units of O2 left.

Once I had my equipment, there was yet another setback: You need to have a "Crush Depth Increase" component in order to craft the higher level of it, but my Cyclops "Mammoth" was already sitting UNDER the default crush depth of 500m, which meant I needed to go scavenge up components to make a MK 1 Crush Depth Increase, so I could take out the MK 2 one so I could upgrade it.

On the Cyclops' radar, Yellow triangles are moderate-sized predators, and Red are BIG predators, right?

I'm honestly not really sure what everyone is doing that they need nuclear reactors to keep the lights on. A couple indoor gardens and a Bioreactor does a lot for my needs. Not that I could make one anyway, I'm short one piece of a blueprint.

You can pop out the Cyclops depth module, upgrade it, and pop it back in before anything catastrophic happens. Just make sure you deconstruct and rebuild the mod station on the Cyclops.

And yeah, you haven’t found the cool base area, keep exploring the lost river. Look for a blue area.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

lol I’ve never built a nuclear plant in any version of Submautica, that I can remember, because the atmosphere-building made me agree with you completely

Factorio and Satisfactory have broken me. Hey a new pristine world? Pave over it and make Captain Planet cry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Counterpoint to not polluting: its a game.

gently caress it, I'm going full-on Cyril Sneer in this poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Those jerks at Alterra don’t want you to know that you can throw your spent nuclear rods right on the ocean floor and it’s a perfectly legal thrill.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did you know that deconstructing a building releases chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer?

Way to slowly murder all those virtual fish, assholes!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If the environment is trying to kill you, kill it back harder.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The biggest threat to the subnautica environment is the giant rear end defense platforms that 1-shot any spaceship in the vicinity and leave the whole landscape littered with ecological disasters and leaky fusion drive cores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

When you got to the lava area with kyanite, you should have encountered large ore deposits of copper. They're all over the place down there. You do have a drill attachment for your prawn, right?

And you have a moonpool. I'm pretty sure you can remove the depth module from the prawn while it is docked in the moonpool to upgrade it without it taking damage.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 15, 2021