Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
semver doesn't work because the difference between a bug fix and a breaking change is whether or not you feel like bumping the major version number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
also cuz half the projects using "semver" actually just use 0.x releases because they cba to use semver

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

every change is a breaking change. especially the bug fixes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if your library is constantly adding new functionality but never fixing any of the old broken stuff then it's a good candidate for semver

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
semver just means never releasing patch releases because lol at bothering to backport poo poo after you've merged in new features

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
if you care about anything other than "will compile successfully after upgrade", semver has nothing to offer you. you pin to a specific version, then you check the change log and/or run your tests to see if things break when you upgrade

when the only thing you want a versioning scheme to tell you is "will compile successfully after upgrade", unless that's enforced by tooling, people will gently caress it up. you check the change log and/or run your tests to see if things break when you upgrade

in conclusion, if you only care about compilation success, set version ranges and use elm. otherwise, pin everything and don't waste your time

(may not work for libraries specifying their own dependencies, as there is rarely a way to say "I am compatible with the following versions of my dependencies" other than semver ranges, so you're kinda stuck there)

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

terrible programming question: if i'm building processes on the same machine that i want to communicate with each other is there any reason to not just use localhost? from what i can gather the OS is smart enough to remove most of the overhead when you use it so it's fairly efficient. i have a series of python modules which will need to communicate with a java machine where they'll be exchanging roughly 100k messages per second, so if there's a way for them to communicate that's significantly more efficient i should probably go with that instead

In case someone else looks at this and needs something easy but maybe less efficient I've used this in the past

https://zeromq.org/

It's a wrapper around unix sockets or tcp that lets you send structured messages or raw data. And it has bindings for python and java

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
rip to pieter hintjens, who followed semver, and wrote something more useful than every python programmer on earth combined

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the 0mq guide is a nice read

I've never actually used 0mq for a non-toy so I have no idea how useful the guide is, but I enjoyed reading it

quote:

All other 3.x versions up to 3.2.1 are only compatible with themselves, which is unfortunate but caused by releases 3.0 and 3.1 which broke the protocol without adding any version information.

welp

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

code:
0MQ version 4.1.2 stable, released on 2015/06/15
================================================

* Bumped ABI version to 5:0:0 since 4.1.x changed the ABI.
welp

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've always used rabbitmq in professional environments. how does it compare to that?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

rip to pieter hintjens, who followed semver, and wrote something more useful than every python programmer on earth combined

I was on a podcast I was invited on (as a regular guest), with Pieter Hintjens being the actual primary guest for the week, and it got derailed so hard the host had to cancel the recording and re-schedule another week with a list of topics not to discuss.

The original recording was derailed because somehow, Hintjens got started on his theory that women just naturally drop out of tech as they get more free because they think differently, with his primary proof being that under soviet rule, tech in the USSR was 50-50 in genders, and after the soviet union fell, it got out of balance. Therefore women who felt freer just got different jobs they liked more and we should embrace that. (most of my derailing was just about asking things like "what's so special about real estate where the ratio is still 50-50? Are they less free?" to try and have him painted into a corner, and eventually just turned more and more antagonostic by calling it loving dumb or something)

I never liked him much after finding out about these sort of hosed up views, and his whole bit about men work like this, women prefer work like this set of growing :biotruths: theories always sat weird, and he never backed down.

It's cast in a weird light after he had his voluntary euthanasia but I'm sort of glad that old podcast didn't turn into an extra platform for this poo poo.

There's no real point to my post, it just sent me down memory lane.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk sounds like he might have a point for a sample size of 1 because no woman wanted to work with him and given the choice, left the entire industry instead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jfc... good on calling him out tho

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MononcQc posted:

I was on a podcast I was invited on (as a regular guest), with Pieter Hintjens being the actual primary guest for the week, and it got derailed so hard the host had to cancel the recording and re-schedule another week with a list of topics not to discuss.

The original recording was derailed because somehow, Hintjens got started on his theory that women just naturally drop out of tech as they get more free because they think differently, with his primary proof being that under soviet rule, tech in the USSR was 50-50 in genders, and after the soviet union fell, it got out of balance. Therefore women who felt freer just got different jobs they liked more and we should embrace that. (most of my derailing was just about asking things like "what's so special about real estate where the ratio is still 50-50? Are they less free?" to try and have him painted into a corner, and eventually just turned more and more antagonostic by calling it loving dumb or something)

I never liked him much after finding out about these sort of hosed up views, and his whole bit about men work like this, women prefer work like this set of growing :biotruths: theories always sat weird, and he never backed down.

It's cast in a weird light after he had his voluntary euthanasia but I'm sort of glad that old podcast didn't turn into an extra platform for this poo poo.

There's no real point to my post, it just sent me down memory lane.

i have no clue who this dude is and clicked the link to his blog and BLAMMO immediate south park avatar. lmao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
was. he got himself euthanized because he had some lovely cancer.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

let this be a lesson as to why you should never have a south park av

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao

e: that was not me btw

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol gently caress you got me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rofl

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hahahaa

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

was talking to a friend about date formatting (lol what is wrong with me) and he mentioned an excellent bug which was that their HR system didn't adjust for daylight time when it came to handling promotion times, so if you got promoted it took effect at 11pm the day before it was supposed to. He reckoned they'd spent 10k of extra money by paying a calculated hourly rate 1hr too soon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
payroll error in your favour, collect $2

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Lord help me, I'm going to learn C solely to create my own Pokemon ROMhack.

Ironically, in college I flunked out of the programming path (twice), and in general just did very poorly in college. And now, part of me can't help but think: would this count as "programming experience"? Does having a finished project, even a hobby one, and practical experience, even for a hobby, make me hireable?

Regardless, even if it doesn't, I'll still be learning C. "Real" programming is just the next logical step after several years of modding video games. I'm already used to futzing around in other dev's custom proprietary stuff, figuring how it works, what I can and can't do, what can be worked around and what has to be worked with. It's been my main hobby for years now. I enjoy it and I'm enjoying the ability to root around directly in a game's code.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt that poo poo their proprietary assembler

in either case its a deec member of a portfolio for firms that hire by portfolio

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
C is great, highly recommend learning it

(preemptive: no self harm in yospos)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

knowing c is good

exploiting c is great

using c is bad

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
writing c is kind of calming with the amount of boilerplate and structure coming only from naming*

*offer not valid when string handling is involved

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you feel calmer while writing it and less calm on segfault #27 or the big cve for anything thats supposed to be secure

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If your boss lets you use C for anything that has to deal with malicious user input, it's their fault.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

was talking to a friend about date formatting (lol what is wrong with me) and he mentioned an excellent bug which was that their HR system didn't adjust for daylight time when it came to handling promotion times, so if you got promoted it took effect at 11pm the day before it was supposed to. He reckoned they'd spent 10k of extra money by paying a calculated hourly rate 1hr too soon.

i wonder if we code more timezone bugs in the uk than elsewhere since the bugs only show up for 6 months of the year

"yeah, they reported it a while ago but then it seemed to go away. they've just called in to say it's started happening again" - member of the support team in late march 🤔

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you feel calmer while writing it and less calm on segfault #27 or the big cve for anything thats supposed to be secure

oh for sure. i'm not saying it's a good language i'm just saying the act of doing it is sort of calmly meditative once you know the language, like turning a 2x4 into a curtain rod with only fine-grit sandpaper

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Chalks posted:

i wonder if we code more timezone bugs in the uk than elsewhere since the bugs only show up for 6 months of the year

"yeah, they reported it a while ago but then it seemed to go away. they've just called in to say it's started happening again" - member of the support team in late march 🤔

I mean I know for sure that for half the year email notifications send 1 hour out because I couldn't be bothered to store/calculate whether DST applied/had changed between adding it and the date it sent

and I actually stopped to think about the problem which is probably like, top 20% of terrible programmers so I'm gonna say "yes, it's all hosed"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chalks posted:

our process that handles running scheduled reports absolutely can not handle when the last run time is in the future so when the time changes, it re-runs and emails the reports every minute for the duplicate hour
it is marked as wontfix as it only happens once a year

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Curvature of Earth posted:

Lord help me, I'm going to learn C solely to create my own Pokemon ROMhack.

Read K&R's The C Programming Language, one of the best programming books out there. That should get you up to speed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but what does C have to do with rom hacks tho, werent they mostly written directly in assembly? & if not, was there a source code leak?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the pokemon rom hacking community is a batshit niche with all sorts of crazy decompilation stuff going on so it wouldn't surprise me if someone wrote some kind of object loader that can link compiled C into a specific set of game boy ROMs without issue

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't read K&R so take this with a pinch of salt but from what I understand it can teach you some very bad habits, since it was written in a very different time and in a very different context.

It teaches you that it's good to use clever tricks like the infamous "while (*p++ = *q++);" (because compilers were stupid and computers were limited but also because people like showing off their cleverness) and also promotes the Garbage In Garbage Out principle (but enough about my posting) which was the original sin that lead to most of the infosec hellscape we have today.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

havent read it in a while, and lmao it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
*poo poo++ maps directly to an addressing mode on the 68k (and I wouldn't be surprised if there was that on the pdp 11 too) and compilers were dumb in those days

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 14, 2021