Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

the spyder posted:

Episode 2 is now out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBv-u_owDYQ

I've decided to split these up going forward- what I consider a normal few hours of work ends up still being waaaay to long of an episode for Michael to focus on. I'll aim for 20ish minutes.

I'm definitely learning as I go - like the "reduce background noise by x percent" button in iMovie....

As someone who hasn't had a car to work on in years, it's kinda cathartic watching simple service/maintenance videos like this. Also makes me envious that I didn't have a lift back when I did do my own work. Where'd you get that shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I believe the shirt came from Blipshift, I'll check.

More truck updates.

I found this product called Aluminum Brightener, which I am sure is common in the truck/detail world - I've just never needed it. I originally bought it for the FD wheels, but it did not work as I hoped. So I tried it on the truck wheels. Man these things pop now. Also, this poo poo is hilarious dangerous. I probably spent 20 minutes diluting it after washing it off. Next time I'll grab some baking soda to neutralize it. It's one of those products I read the MSDS for and immediately went "I can't believe I'm still allowed to buy ACID this strong."

The cheap used OEM grill I bought off eBay arrived. Outside of some scrapes, it's in decent shape. I sanded it and gave it several coats of SEM Trim Black.

After the paint cured for 24 hours, I grabbed the tractor and pulled the bumper.

The eBay lights I ordered also arrived. Install was painless, except a few broken clips. I better order a few while I'm thinking of it.

And with that, the sun went down.

Here are some better-ish daytime photos.

I can't wait to get that fender dent popped out.

I'm happy with the change, the chrome really dated the truck and this stock lower-trim grill fits my use better. Now I just need a winch....
Next up - new front seat upholstery.

Who's ready for Halloween?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 4, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

Where'd you get that shirt?

the spyder posted:

I believe the shirt came from Blipshift, I'll check.
Correct.

Edit: Found it, looks like that color was iii.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 4, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Did you ever print a new seat-button cover for the Tesla? :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, if thats the superior brand aluminum brightener, I had a dude that would buy that poo poo 5 gallons at a time and thats not even their strongest acid. It will absolutely gently caress you up if you gently caress around with it though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I bet that aluminum brightener would make an aluminum horse trailer shiny... Then I'd just have to shoot some clear to keep it that way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It would also show every single scratch and dent but if you're prepared to deal with that...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cakesmith handyman posted:

It would also show every single scratch and dent but if you're prepared to deal with that...

I showed my wife a video of spraying aluminium brightener on a trailer fender and she went all doe-eyed on me so I guess the trailer is getting treated.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I’ve got some aluminum bits from my ‘79 RX-7s engine bay I think I’ll use some on. Probably easier than blasting them.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
I mean just because I have absolutely no experience with a rotary engine, no local connections in Tennessee area with rotary engines, or any business doing any kind of automotive repair... It's only $1,800, what's the worst that could happen????

2004 rx8, cat stolen, needs seals, non running. $1,800

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Knowing absolutely nada about rotaries but being in TN that rx8 sounds like it’s worth scrap value to me. Or no more than 6-800 bucks.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Condimentalist posted:

I mean just because I have absolutely no experience with a rotary engine, no local connections in Tennessee area with rotary engines, or any business doing any kind of automotive repair... It's only $1,800, what's the worst that could happen????

2004 rx8, cat stolen, needs seals, non running. $1,800

Let's be honest here, I'm not a Rx-8 guy. But I'll tell you that car is worth $500-800 in my area. The missing cat is a deal breaker IMO.

If you want some straight forward, no bullshit advise - Kevin is local and is your best bet. https://rotaryresurrection.com
He regularly buys/flips/parts cars - so if he hasn't bought it yet, there's a reason. He's got an attitude, be warned.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tune Up Part 2 is up. Looks like there will be a part 3 as we address ignition and that pesky coolant leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eDZvNJmoG0

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Thank you for the information!! I'm really trying to find a Miata but who knows if I'll ever pull the trigger on that 😅

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I needed a light box to take photos of my nuts, I mean bolts. Hardware kits. Small parts. Whatever.
Quickly made this tonight with a LED shallow mount light with adj color temp from Home Depot.

Kwu-al-i-ty.

Ooops forgot the banana for scale. I'll have to find a plastic one.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 14, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks great

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I haven't had time to do much. We had a 32F evening in the forecast so I decided to drain the water from the F250 and change the water pump.
It was not that bad. The fan fought me the most, mainly because my shoulder is not happy and dangling that monster over the engine and trying to align it sucked.
I used the brand new motorcraft pump I had ordered a few months back. Refilled with the diesel specific coolant and let it heat cycle.

Beautiful evening - but drat it was cold that night and the following.

But like everything on this truck, it fought me. The ~20 mile old thermostat housing square-Oring was apparently one time use. It leaked after reassembly. I thankfully had ordered two and swapped it last night. No leaks that I could find in the dark. I drove it up our closed road and there's still so much to fix.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

I needed a light box to take photos of my nuts, I mean bolts. Hardware kits. Small parts. Whatever.
Quickly made this tonight with a LED shallow mount light with adj color temp from Home Depot.

Kwu-al-i-ty.

I envy your nuts (see my thread title). Bolts. Whatever.
I shall now go purchase stainless steel ones to outshine you. Heh. Stainless steel balls nuts.
(Neat light box, too)

quote:

Ooops forgot the banana for scale. I'll have to find a plastic one.
Comedy option: go find a 1/6 scale banana.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
With some recent staffing losses, works been consuming about 150% of my time. I need a vacation.... soon.

First, my wife said she wanted one more halloween decoration.

A 12' skeleton was not what I was expecting.
If I can find them retail price next year, I'll buy two or three and have them "crawl" over our outbuildings along the highway.

Here's a fun one for you. I was working on media blasting the red cars wheels for refinishing and got a txt. "Hey, want to look at a 280zx"?
Sure why not? When I got home, a tow truck was in my driveway with this beauty. It's been parked since 2006 in a heated garage. 137k, 5spd, 1980 production date.
It's the least rusty example I've ever seen. Heck even the wire wheels grew on me. Haha.

Since we're idiots, we checked the oil and coolant, put a battery in it, and cranked. It started third crank. On 2006 gas.... I added 5gal of non-E and some seafoam.

I haven't washed it, but the paint is faded on the roof/hood/hatch.
I can't believe the hatch/tail panel isn't rusted out.

The interior is sun faded. The owners wife daily drove it and it shows.

This Hitachi Tape Deck is my favorite part.

PDX folks should recognize this.

It need brakes and a tune up. Otherwise, it's going for sale. Anyone want a 280ZX project?

Before a week+ of solid rain sets in, I wanted to finish installing some loose parts on the truck.
Not pictured, I modified the air box and installed the air filter. Next up was new struts.
Last year I bought new Bilsteins. I figured it would be a two hour or so job. It went surprisingly well.

Don't worry, there's a jack stand behind the tire.

Out of the 4 struts, one rebounded. Yea it was time to replace them.

Shiny!

Looks like a brake job is in my future. I'm really tempted to just toss money at the problem and buy one of those Powerstop $500 complete caliper/pads/rotor kits from Rock Auto.

Just doing this one strut reminded me how out of shape I am. When I got to the driver front I was in for a surprise. The lower ball joint on the knuckle has ~1/2" play.... just held in via gravity and the c-clip. Turns out those giant tires wreaked havoc on everything. Imaging that. $180 later, new parts are on the way from Rock Auto. I won't drive it again until this is fixed. Also learned my front hubs have been locked this whole time... drat it

I had also ordered a new steering stabilizer, the old one was quite malformed.

Amazingly the bracket was installed in the correct place. New one bolted right in and measured to spec.

New rears... I knocked a significant amount of rust off that diff cover. Welp, that can only mean one thing. Time for a Banks Ram Air cover. :D

This was easily one of the best improvements I've made to the truck, outside of pressure washing the interior out and getting it running. The handful of times I drove it previously were... sketchy? Like a tippy boat. I never felt comfortable with more than 30% throttle. Now it handles, like a large boat, but it just feels safer and the ride quality has significantly improved. I actually put my foot down and this thing can move. My F150 is still "faster" off the line, but lol diesel.

I'm not sure what fascinates me about "restoring" this truck. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought it. It's got levels of PO fuckery that just amuse and frustrate me. The amount of abuse it's seen doesn't even come close to anything I could have imagined possible in 95 thousand miles. It's cost double what I planned to fix it. But it's grown on me. It's a stupid farm truck and it's just such a blast to work on/bring it back.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 20, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Now trade it to the guy up the street with the sicknasty flatbed version of the same truck!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Commodore_64 posted:

Now trade it to the guy up the street with the sicknasty flatbed version of the same truck!

I do want his F450 with the flatbed. Mainly because he's 1/2 completed with a 24v Cummins swap.

Next truck will either be a F450/550 with a CAT swap or 7.3 gasser.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I do not need another project but I also really want a 240/280z.

Idea what the asking price will be?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would really love to see this car go to an enthusiast. We've talked a little about value, we both agree it's around $3500 after brakes are fixed/detailed. It's very nice in some areas, but needs TLC in others. In it's current shape I can see it as a $2k car.

When I look at the other years of 280z, 300z, ect - these seem under appreciated. I haven't found a 80's era sports car I could even talk about under $5k recently due to the market.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 21, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That seems like a bargain with current crazy pricing on everything. Sure it has some miles but it looks like it's in good shape.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

The amount of abuse it's seen doesn't even come close to anything I could have imagined possible in 95 thousand miles.

I know rolling back odometers on diesel trucks is pretty common, I'd be shocked if it only had 95k on it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I know rolling back odometers on diesel trucks is pretty common, I'd be shocked if it only had 95k on it.

That thought crossed my mind many times when removing the grime covered original engine.
The vehicle registration history shows a normal increase until it sat from 2014-2019 with a bad transmission. When my trans builder did his tear down, he commented that
it looked to be low miles internally. The engine internals were in good shape and seemingly matched the mileage, but it was obvious the PO skimped on oil changes.

My best guess was Horse/Ranch truck, my friend says loggers truck. All I know for sure is that from ~2005 on after all the stereo/tuner/Banks kit/whee's were added, this truck was beat on every one of the next ~60k miles.

At least everything will be new when I'm done... right? That's the lie I'll keep telling myself. Currently at $400 in new axle seals and ball joints. I haven't checked the rear yet...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 21, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Welcome back to my low effort random photo dump!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today on I have no idea what I'm doing trying to film this nonsense, another video is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zoR47A-mHc

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And because I'm behind - here's the brake episode with me screwing up my audio and waiting over a month for brake pads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ5RyUIrtVs

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today I finally fix the coolant leak that kept pissing $20/gallon coolant on my floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_SCt6Iwfk

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had a quick project for our Rx-8 track car. We needed a higher coolant fill point. I fab'd a quick tank which collects from the high point in the upper rad hose and the steam vents. We'll see how it does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I appreciate the hell out of your videos.

That tank should do the trick. I have the steam line on my C10 run to a tee in the upper radiator hose, but when I'm filling the system I disconnect it and hold it up so air can more easily escape through both.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Man I usually hate shiny stuff everywhere and prefer to keep things looking OEM, but it still hurt a little to see that beautiful aluminum tig work get spray painted. Mine looks like total rear end compared to that. Where'd you buy the weld-in fittings, BTW?

Edit: wait, why is one of the barbs not welded in?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

Man I usually hate shiny stuff everywhere and prefer to keep things looking OEM, but it still hurt a little to see that beautiful aluminum tig work get spray painted. Mine looks like total rear end compared to that. Where'd you buy the weld-in fittings, BTW?

Edit: wait, why is one of the barbs not welded in?

Haha I was hoping someone would catch that. I welded the first one from the outside, flipped it over, and then remembered there’s a step lip for welding them from the inside… so I welded the next one from the inside. My team mates haven’t noticed. Let’s see how long it takes.

Weld on fittings are from aceraceparts- which is now based out of WA.

I’m really out of practice doing TIG. I ran these super hot knowing I was more worried about leaks than stacks of dimes. Also that rad cap took like 3/8” of buildup on each side. Sure as hell won’t go anywhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's awesome, I've ordered from them and they're literally across the water from my place. Aka a 1.5 hour drive :lol:

I had o idea they had cooling system parts too. Or that you could weld the barbs on from the inside...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I appreciate the hell out of your videos.

That tank should do the trick. I have the steam line on my C10 run to a tee in the upper radiator hose, but when I'm filling the system I disconnect it and hold it up so air can more easily escape through both.

Thank you, the encouragement helps. I've got a bit too much going on work wise and I've lost track of what's been filmed, as I can only do a piece here or there - so hopefully I'm putting things together logically.

I'll snap a pic of it installed - our steam line used to feed into a tee in the upper with a pressure bleed off (think air compressor). We would have to put on the tall funnel to bleed/fill the system, end up misplacing the stopper, scramble to shove a ratchet handle down to plug it, and spill coolant in the pits. We'll still fill the system from the radiator cap, but now we can top it off/bleed from the upper tank.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I hate ruining your fine fab work on the coolant pressure tank with this shoty install but the hood was already hacked up and the race is next week ;).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Without the hood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As long as it holds together and doesn't cost us downtime, you know I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random photos, though I haven't been super active due to a cold my daughter brought home.

First I made some random outlet/USB charger outlets for fun.

Next I got the wheels back from the painter, FINALLY.

He does great work so I can't complain about the wait. Originally I bought some RE-71R's for this, but changed my mind and went with a brand new set of DWS 06's.

I even took a quick test drive up the road to bed the pads (and clean the rotors...) - Now I just need the mirrors/gas cap back from paint and it's done!

And since the lift was finally empty it was time to winterize the wifes MSM.

Once it was inside, it became apparent I needed to buff and seal the paint. Half the hood done for reference.

Much better. Swapped on the X-ICE and at some point this winter I'll do a fluid change. It's just rolled over 80k.

Finally a Farm Truck update. I went to start it the other day and *click*. Odd the batteries were full. Oh god, why is the coolant low? THERE'S NO LEAKS???
Tossed a breaker bar on it and nada. It's locked. My best guess, judging by the tiny amount of white smoke at startup, is a leaking injector cup.
So $220 later, I've got new International Cups, OE o-ring kits, and some Loctite 620. Just waiting for my friend to stop by with his puller/installer kit.

I almost did these out of the truck, but I was over budget on the project (haha.waterpump.gently caress) I skipped a few things I thought would be fine. Now I'm wishing
I had just done them when it was easy. So now I'll have to suffer through doing them in the truck, in 50F rainy Oregon weather. Weeeeeeee.