Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I love how he can't resist giving the kitty a pat after getting it situated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A small voice is fretting about if they got the tranq dosage correct and what if it wakes up.

A much, much louder voice is yelling about those big kitty paws and clapping.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah I remember doing this, too - maybe 8th grade chemistry. Just took some bowls with Aluminum and Iron Oxide (?am I getting this right?) and set it off in the school yard. Bowl of molten metal.

My wife loves to blow up dead bugs that kids find. They compete all year to find the biggest dead bug then she lets the winner set off the reaction in her fume hood.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
E: Quote != Edit

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

That's not what a scab is. A scab is someone who goes to work for a company while there is a strike. These are current, non-union employees who are being told to do this work. My mom did that while she worked for a pen company. The workers went on strike so she had to go from the office to work in the factory. There are still ways to support the strike by doing the bare minimum and sabotaging the actual scabs.

All scabs are strikebreakers but not all strikebreakers are scabs. Depends if they're management or not in this case.

You're right, though, allies in labor who do not have union projection can still help support the strike. Slow rolling work doing things to hamper production is cool in good. White collar style workers without a union contract can just be fired if they try to strike. Even worse in right to work states.

Answers to unionize all labor of course.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
If you want to get all mad and/or depressed, please read up on the history of labor and unions in the Pacific Northwest like I did!
It gets even worse once you realize that the Portland Police Union and others like them are now the only unions remaining with any teeth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s context for the John Deere strike.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1448605991826857984

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TotalLossBrain posted:

If you want to get all mad and/or depressed, please read up on the history of labor and unions in the Pacific Northwest like I did!
It gets even worse once you realize that the Portland Police Union and others like them are now the only unions remaining with any teeth.

Including stuff like actual wars with the national guard, bombing, etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"Again?! You're such a dingus."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

zegermans posted:

I love how he can't resist giving the kitty a pat after getting it situated

that sleepy murder machine would be getting a tummy rub if I were nearby #yolo

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Mustached Demon posted:

All scabs are strikebreakers but not all strikebreakers are scabs. Depends if they're management or not in this case.

You're right, though, allies in labor who do not have union projection can still help support the strike. Slow rolling work doing things to hamper production is cool in good. White collar style workers without a union contract can just be fired if they try to strike. Even worse in right to work states.

Answers to unionize all labor of course.

Serious question: Why is unionisation such a hot topic in America compared to elsewhere. Or am I just seeing more news from America but it is the same everywhere? I notice in a lot of EU countries unionisation and workers rights doesn't require striking much. Although the French love to strike A LOT and from what I understand their labour laws are better than a lot of others. Does stronger regulation on labour laws protecting workers decrease the need for striking/unionisation?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Serious question: Why is unionisation such a hot topic in America compared to elsewhere. Or am I just seeing more news from America but it is the same everywhere? I notice in a lot of EU countries unionisation and workers rights doesn't require striking much. Although the French love to strike A LOT and from what I understand their labour laws are better than a lot of others. Does stronger regulation on labour laws protecting workers decrease the need for striking/unionisation?

Unions are a slippery slope to full-on red gay communism (ie they cut into profits)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lascivious Sloth posted:

A lot of Americans are dumb and susceptible to corporate propaganda and believe in the myth of the rugged individualist.

Also something about GM making really lovely cars from the 1970s through 2010s.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Unions have a habit of representing minority workers and negotiating to give them more wages and benefits. Support for unions started falling in the 1960s. Maybe you can figure out the connection.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Deteriorata posted:

Unions have a habit of representing minority workers and negotiating to give them more wages and benefits. Support for unions started falling in the 1960s. Maybe you can figure out the connection.

Minorities are communists!?!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

tree doge sleepy :kimchi:

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I'd also like to point out too that Aerial Saw (which is what a helicopter carrying those blades is called), while cool as gently caress to watch at work, is not nearly as effective in the long term as you'd think. Reason being is that, yes, aerial saws definitely cut back trees and what not but trees growing into power lines is a tiny, tiny proportion of outages. 1%-2% of outages are caused by grow ins. Spoilers for nerd poo poo: As the tips of the shoots near the power line, the power lines induces current flow in the tips of the shoots, killing the meristems.

The biggest causes of outages is usually mechanical interventions: that is, trees or bits of them failing and falling through power lines, snow loads/freezing rain/etc causing parts of trees to end up sagging onto power lines, or people themselves causing outages, eg somebody runs into a pole with a car. When you take an aerial saw to a right of way, you're not really trimming smartly and you can cut back huge amounts of the canopy of the trees, causing trees to die off left and right. Mature trees really can't take that much in the way of trimming (usually less than 1/4 of the canopy in good years), so inevitably with the aerial saw, someone has to go out at six months and mark more trees for cutting.

While this is correct, you are forgetting that these are not separate issues: trees growing limbs too close to power lines don't have to touch the lines immediately, they can cause problems later if the tree or branch falls off or snow bends them down in a storm or blizzard. Proactive trimming is the cheaper way of solving this than calling workers in the middle of the night in the middle of a blizzard when fallen trees and snow have blocked all roads.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Corporations have been fighting unions for well over a century in the US and they have been very successful. Warfare, murders on a wide scale, intimidation, public relations campaigns. The public perception has been very carefully groomed to what it is now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, in Europe unions have power because (I assume) they have strong legal protections and they use the power to keep the legal protections in place. In the US the feedback loop runs in the opposite direction.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The strike I'm shocked we haven't seen is stevedores. I can't believe there will ever be a time with more leverage

They're probably not allowed to or something

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

A lot of Americans are dumb and susceptible to corporate propaganda and believe in the myth of the rugged individualist.

When an American sees someone whose job has good benefits / retirement / sane hours, their thought is not "my job should treat me better," it's "that guy should have it as bad as I do."

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There is a 'non-specific threat' against my workplace today and we are allowed to take unpaid leave if we are uncomfortable being at work

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

That could be a confusing to those who don't study these things deeply, but GM still makes lovely cars to this day.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

It reminded me of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiplbYDHCU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

FogHelmut posted:

My dad worked for GM in the 80s.

FuturePastNow posted:

When an American sees someone whose job has good benefits / retirement / sane hours, their thought is not "my job should treat me better," it's "that guy should have it as bad as I do."

When there were layoffs (and they had to lay off non union staff first) this was his exact takeaway. Shoulda joined instead of bitching about them taking your money!

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Does home OSHA count? Went to grab my cup off the blender and my girlfriend never twists the destructive part back on, so that's what is left just sitting there.

Is it safe to grab and take off? Maybe. But I'm gonna unplug it first anyway lol

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

IDK how to do timestamps but check at 7 minutes in for the improvised lathe that to my untrained eye seems like a really bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6QD2_eIeQ

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r0uvws78xN1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r0tuoto66Z1r0uzl6.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AceClown posted:

IDK how to do timestamps but check at 7 minutes in for the improvised lathe that to my untrained eye seems like a really bad idea

Nothing really wrong with that, beyond the usual lathe caveats. Using a drill press as a lathe isn't any more unsafe just because it's spinning vertically. You're just really limited in what operations you can do because you don't have a proper tool rest.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

My dad worked for GM in the 80s.

I'm sorry about his substance addictions.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Some Americans will be happy with a pigeon over a barrel fire under a bridge, as long as the person next to them doesn't have a pigeon.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vomit trainer.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Really weird stat that I don't know how to verify myself but someone here France said that union membership (at least in my company) is only like 10-15% of employees

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah I remember doing this, too - maybe 8th grade chemistry. Just took some bowls with Aluminum and Iron Oxide (?am I getting this right?) and set it off in the school yard. Bowl of molten metal.

Yup, that's the traditional mix.

IIRC thermite reactions are possible when you have a metal, and a metal oxide, and the oxide is the nobler of the two metals. Nobility in this case is defined something like "the less noble a metal is, the more energy is released when it reacts with oxygen, and the tighter it holds on to that oxygen afterwards". Which means that moving the oxygen out of the more noble oxide takes less energy than what's released by oxidizing the less noble metal - so when you get going, the process is overall energy positive.

That is: Going from A + BO -> AO + B works as long as A "wants" the oxygen more / B is more noble.

The other somewhat common one is copper thermite, Al + CuO -> AlO + Cu + energy (for whatever number of oxygen atoms goes into those oxides). Copper is a nobler metal than iron, so the energy output is higher and the reaction quicker. I've never seen it in person, but I'm tempted to try - from a safe distance.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Jfc

Woke Pinkertons are truly scum

Ask Al swearengen what he thinks of those cocksuckers.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

Really weird stat that I don't know how to verify myself but someone here France said that union membership (at least in my company) is only like 10-15% of employees

That's because in France you're covered by the union agreements even if you're not a member:

French union membership is at about 8 percent in this picture

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Computer viking posted:

Yup, that's the traditional mix.

IIRC thermite reactions are possible when you have a metal, and a metal oxide, and the oxide is the nobler of the two metals. Nobility in this case is defined something like "the less noble a metal is, the more energy is released when it reacts with oxygen, and the tighter it holds on to that oxygen afterwards". Which means that moving the oxygen out of the more noble oxide takes less energy than what's released by oxidizing the less noble metal - so when you get going, the process is overall energy positive.

That is: Going from A + BO -> AO + B works as long as A "wants" the oxygen more / B is more noble.

The other somewhat common one is copper thermite, Al + CuO -> AlO + Cu + energy (for whatever number of oxygen atoms goes into those oxides). Copper is a nobler metal than iron, so the energy output is higher and the reaction quicker. I've never seen it in person, but I'm tempted to try - from a safe distance.

It's also scary as gently caress, as you probably know, because you can't put it out; all the oxygen in the reaction is in the reagents, so you can't even smother it. Doesn't it also blow up ice or water or something, or is that just a weird thermal shock thing?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

That's because in France you're covered by the union agreements even if you're not a member:

French union membership is at about 8 percent in this picture

how are the points inverted in JP and NZ? people pay dues but aren't in unionized workplaces?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Drone_Fragger posted:

Reminder John Deere is so bad that they prompted several law changes over vehicle servicability because they were trying to sue people for repairing their own tractors and tried to get people charged with cyber crimes for disabling the tractors drm software (that stops you using aftermarket parts).

Anyway you can thank them for why Tesla can’t just remotely brick your vehicle if you use non-Tesla supplied tyres and similar.

Like you have to be a special kind of terrible to piss off so many farmers in so many states that both parties rally to solve the issue at a federal level.

if you think deere is bad you should see their competition

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

American exceptionalism, social and racial conflicts, religious ideology, the Red Scare, consolidation of wealth and income inequality, and pervasive attitudes that everything is and should be a zero-sum game come together to form a uniquely hosed up system. Rampant consumerism and conspicuous consumption have driven us to think that it's preferable to be better than someone than to be equal and both better off. There's also a Protestant-Work-Ethic-style attitude regardless of religious beliefs that self worth is tied to how hard you work; self-flagellation is a virtu.

I don't know if it's been looked at in other countries, but there was a study a few years ago that found well over half of people would prefer to make $50k a year with a neighbor who makes $30k than for both to make $100k.

AceClown posted:

For timestamps, specify hours/minutes/seconds by adding #t=12h34m56s to the end of the URL. You can leave off hours and minutes if they're not needed and you don't need leading zeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can also just go to the video, right click and click the option for copy url at current time.