Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rich people only fail upwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Pattonesque posted:

it really is amazing how badly they hosed up, like they're not screwed financially or anything but you'd expect the people who created probably the most popular series ever would be more in demand.

They also likely burned a lot of bridges going by stories of how they treated some of the actors. I used to figure they were merely just hack fuckups, but after I heard about them doing stuff like pulling mean-spirited pranks on Alfie and the nasty poo poo they said to Ian Mcelhinny, I genuinely hate their guts. There are writers/directors/producers who would kill to have such a list of brilliant actors who were excited about a fantasy show's source material as they had.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

They also likely burned a lot of bridges going by stories of how they treated some of the actors. I used to figure they were merely just hack fuckups, but after I heard about them doing stuff like pulling mean-spirited pranks on Alfie and the nasty poo poo they said to Ian Mcelhinny, I genuinely hate their guts. There are writers/directors/producers who would kill to have such a list of brilliant actors who were excited about a fantasy show's source material as they had.

Maybe one day there will be a Whedon-style reckoning.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

"You're fired! Haha just kidding!" is an insanely hosed up prank to pull on someone and perfectly illustrates what kind of thoughtless dopes these two are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They made fun of Selmy’s actor because he actually knew the books and killed him off in an embarrassing way.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Human Tornada posted:

"You're fired! Haha just kidding!" is an insanely hosed up prank to pull on someone and perfectly illustrates what kind of thoughtless dopes these two are.

Imagine being in your '40s and working with consummate lifetime actors who try to tell you "hey my character would probably do this" and your response as the showrunner of the most beloved piece of television is "lol why do you care so much, loser?" These guys were my 4th grade bullies and they never grew up.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when they leaked the first half of the season and the cliffhanger people were left on was "They wouldn't kill off Barristan like that would they?"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah the time when half the thread went "those leaks must be fake, no script written by professionals will ever be this stupid", how naive we were.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was on Team "Peasants throwing poo poo at Dany's naked corpse", the superior bullshit script.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The fanfic stuff was better in some ways. I think I read two of the fake leaks and both of them had the battle against the dead taking most of the season.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TOOT BOOT posted:

The fanfic stuff was better in some ways. I think I read two of the fake leaks and both of them had the battle against the dead taking most of the season.

bobjr posted:

I remember when they leaked the first half of the season and the cliffhanger people were left on was "They wouldn't kill off Barristan like that would they?"

They had the chance to do a lot of objectively cool poo poo that everyone would have liked but were like "nah we gotta split to make our show about how awesome the Confederacy was"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I was on Team "Peasants throwing poo poo at Dany's naked corpse", the superior bullshit script.

Lmao I forgot about that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I remember the Big Prediction for Dany amongst her fanbase before S8 was that she would die in childbirth.

Hahaha, it was worse. IT WAS SO MUCH WORSE.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

I remember the Big Prediction for Dany amongst her fanbase before S8 was that she would die in childbirth.

Hahaha, it was worse. IT WAS SO MUCH WORSE.

That would have honestly been worse in terms of tired and uninspired tropes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That would have honestly been worse in terms of tired and uninspired tropes.

She lost the will to live/died of a broken heart/Alligators got 'er.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, it sucks because you can see how the ending they went with would make some kind of narrative sense if Jon Connington was there, refusing to ring the bells in surrender.

Too bad they left that whole plot line out so Sansa could be raped a few more times because reasons.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Series should've ended with Cersei losing because Dany burned everything down, Dany realises everyone likes Jon more because she's a monster so she has him put up for execution. S8 ends with a stark getting their head cut off just like s1

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

They had the chance to do a lot of objectively cool poo poo that everyone would have liked but were like "nah we gotta split to make our show about how awesome the Confederacy was"

Those dudes hosed up so bad, they got kicked off of doing a modern Star Wars project, which says quite a lot about how bad GoT became near the end there

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Those dudes hosed up so bad, they got kicked off of doing a modern Star Wars project, which says quite a lot about how bad GoT became near the end there

secretly the funniest thing about this is their Westworld cameo in which they were both chopping up a dragon, because it was clearly filmed before S8 came out and they were probably like "lol people are gonna crack up at this"

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Was this ever actually confirmed to be true, though? I mean, I want it to be true because gently caress those dipshits, and obviously the timing of it seemed like more than just coincidence, but AFAIK the official story was that they signed a more lucrative deal with Netflix, and simply didn't have enough hours in the day for SW as well. Maybe that's just PR bullshit, but then again, is your average Disney exec really going to give a poo poo that some whiny nerds are upset about Daenerys or whatever, when the simple fact is that the show continued to pull in massive numbers of viewers right to the very end, and made a shitload of money? I know the whole S8 backlash seemed like a big drama thing at the time, but I kind of feel like it was probably just a tiny blip on the radar for hopelessly-up-their-own-asses Hollywood types and their corporate masters.

But I do want to believe . . .

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd never read the books so I thought hey good move cutting out that Young Griff guy Martin loves to keep adding more bullshit to his story oh wait it was an integral part and they likely would've known that from Martin's notes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They said they cut the Iron Islands characters to focus on the Dorne plot because they could only do one, only to bring in Euron at the very end as a different character, and ended up wasting the entire Dorne plot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny they cut all this stuff when not only did very little happen in the latter seasons but they cut down the episode count. Oh also HBO would've let them adapt the entire story. How many showrunners or directors would kill for that chance.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Drunk in Space posted:

Was this ever actually confirmed to be true, though? I mean, I want it to be true because gently caress those dipshits, and obviously the timing of it seemed like more than just coincidence, but AFAIK the official story was that they signed a more lucrative deal with Netflix, and simply didn't have enough hours in the day for SW as well. Maybe that's just PR bullshit, but then again, is your average Disney exec really going to give a poo poo that some whiny nerds are upset about Daenerys or whatever, when the simple fact is that the show continued to pull in massive numbers of viewers right to the very end, and made a shitload of money? I know the whole S8 backlash seemed like a big drama thing at the time, but I kind of feel like it was probably just a tiny blip on the radar for hopelessly-up-their-own-asses Hollywood types and their corporate masters.

Even if the show pulled in huge numbers til the end, it was a critical disaster and basically destroyed any interest in the franchise. Especially after the reception of the sequel trilogy, I've gotta imagine that even your business-minded Disney exec is going to worry about letting these two clowns take on Star Wars and, again, possibly get bored with it by the end and poo poo out something that puts the rest of the world off of Star Wars for the foreseeable future. Plus, they were banking on a certain amount of "star power" from being able to put "From the Creators of the blockbuster hit show Game of Thrones" on the poster, and now that association is gonna bring negative appeal, if anything.

I dunno if it was confirmed or not, but it doesn't seem at all implausible. I don't know how these guys could have done a better job of convincing anyone in the business that they're hacks not to be trusted with your valuable IP.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“Darth Vader forgot about the force”

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Disney has shown itself to be mercurial for a major corporation. Remember when they tried to drop James Gunn because he posted a bunch unfunny 2011-style "dark humor" tweets that literally everyone in TV/movies was doing at the time? I have to believe that after they saw the backlash against Thrones that they were not excited about giving their new baby to those guys.

This may be apocryphal so take it with a huge grain of salt, but I remember hearing stories that Thrones was one of the few occasions where many of its network higher-ups were actually genuinely devoted superfans of the show and that they were just as pissed as anyone else.

I know I brought it up before, but my PLCB still has a massive display of GoT-brand Johnny Walker whiskey in the store and I don't think anyone has bought a single bottle in the two years it's been there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drunk in Space posted:

What Disney is definitely going to care more about than putting asses in seats is merchandizing, and bad enough word of mouth on one thing can kill merchandizing for years.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I got the impression what sank D&D with Disney and Netflix was in their negotiations and dealmaking more than the last season. They were trying to play both producers off each other and making promises behind their backs that they were going to prioritize Star Wars/their Netflix show, and when the studios caught on they both got pissed off.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Drunk in Space posted:

The thing that you have to understand about Disney is that they care about only one thing: optics. The Brand is the only thing that matters to them: they are completely apolitical and pragmatic.

Whatever boosts The Brand gets more. Whatever tarnishes The Brand is immediately excised. Saying they had a ~conscious uncoupling~ is easier to sweep under the rug, so that's what they did. No drama, just done.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny they cut all this stuff when not only did very little happen in the latter seasons but they cut down the episode count. Oh also HBO would've let them adapt the entire story. How many showrunners or directors would kill for that chance.

Yes. HBO wanted to give them two more 13-episode seasons with a full budget but D&D insisted on half seasons for the final two.

And while that is not only lovely for us, who wanted more high quality content, they also basically imploded a gigantic employer, ending thousands of regular, steady job so that they could gently caress off to their Confederate fanfic bullshit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Disney has shown itself to be mercurial for a major corporation. Remember when they tried to drop James Gunn because he posted a bunch unfunny 2011-style "dark humor" tweets that literally everyone in TV/movies was doing at the time? I have to believe that after they saw the backlash against Thrones that they were not excited about giving their new baby to those guys.

This may be apocryphal so take it with a huge grain of salt, but I remember hearing stories that Thrones was one of the few occasions where many of its network higher-ups were actually genuinely devoted superfans of the show and that they were just as pissed as anyone else.

I know I brought it up before, but my PLCB still has a massive display of GoT-brand Johnny Walker whiskey in the store and I don't think anyone has bought a single bottle in the two years it's been there.

Let's not forget that Colin Trevorrow was slated to direct The Rise of Skywalker, only to get booted by Disney for "reasons", which absolutely definitely surely had nothing to do with his making GBS threads out The Book of Henry, a film so bad that it doesn't even end up on "so bad it's good" lists. Or when they fired Lord and Miller off of Solo because they were emphasizing the inherent humor in a film about how a young roguish fellow got his start. It's absolutely possible that they decided hiring DnD after they'd tanked GoT in its last season wasn't a good idea.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd never read the books so I thought hey good move cutting out that Young Griff guy Martin loves to keep adding more bullshit to his story oh wait it was an integral part and they likely would've known that from Martin's notes.

Martin has no notes. He didn’t then and doesn’t now. He doesn’t write with any because he’s a moron. After Season 4 he left working on the show because he literally had nothing left to contribute and, by all reports, left the show runners with three bullet points (Shireen is burned, Hodor means Hold the Door, and Bran is King) without any detail on how to get to them because he himself has no idea.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shireen is burned

Almost, it's 'Shireen gets burned before Stannis gets killed.'

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
George didn’t even have a plan for the white walkers, but having a child get burned to death was something he considered absolutely necessary?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yes. HBO wanted to give them two more 13-episode seasons with a full budget but D&D insisted on half seasons for the final two.

Imagine being so lazy that you find yourself in the insanely rare position of a network wanting to give you more time and money and going "nah"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

moosecow333 posted:

George didn’t even have a plan for the white walkers, but having a child get burned to death was something he considered absolutely necessary?

Ironically he was also so obsessed with the game of thrones that he paid little attention to the existential threat looming over Westeros.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let's not forget that Colin Trevorrow was slated to direct The Rise of Skywalker, only to get booted by Disney for "reasons", which absolutely definitely surely had nothing to do with his making GBS threads out The Book of Henry, a film so bad that it doesn't even end up on "so bad it's good" lists. Or when they fired Lord and Miller off of Solo because they were emphasizing the inherent humor in a film about how a young roguish fellow got his start. It's absolutely possible that they decided hiring DnD after they'd tanked GoT in its last season wasn't a good idea.

Remember when they had a project with Pewdiepie and then (understandably) dumped him like a sack of hammers?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Martin has no notes. He didn’t then and doesn’t now. He doesn’t write with any because he’s a moron. After Season 4 he left working on the show because he literally had nothing left to contribute and, by all reports, left the show runners with three bullet points (Shireen is burned, Hodor means Hold the Door, and Bran is King) without any detail on how to get to them because he himself has no idea.

Yeah, people lament D&D not putting in Young Griff or more Martells, or every Greyjoy, or Belwas or JonCon, or this or that, but does anyone honestly think that George has anything approaching a plan for all twenty+ POVs he created? He got greedy and self-indulgent, now he's stuck having promised two half-million-word books when he now needs somewhere like 3 or 4. I am an "essential employee" who has been working twelve hour shifts for garbage wages since the start of the pandemic, and in that time I finished a few short stories, one garbage novel, and am nearly finished one novel I'm kind of proud of, on top of reading and critiquing other peoples' projects. George has had a year of pandemic time and no money worries to sit around and write a book. At this point, if he ever wants the series to finish, he'll have to hire someone sit him down with Scrivener, a time clock, and an editor and co-writer who can call him any time they want.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

That is unironically correct yes.

GRRM doesn’t write with an outline or any notes. He says he doesn’t like writing when he knows the ending and waxes poetically about being a “gardener” which is just a romantic way for justifying his inability to actually do his job as a writer and advance a plot in a sensible way.

The only thing GRRM ever really planned was an original proof of concept he shopped to publishers in the early 90s that outlined a trilogy. A fan found it in a university library a few years back. What was supposed to be the first book turned into three. And the major themes of the second book are currently not even halfway done. And around the central themes (that Act 1 is War of the Five Kings, Act 2 is the second Dance of Dragons, and Act 3 is the war against the Others) almost every single plot is different and tons of random unrelated poo poo has been shoved in on top of it all.

So basically D&D were two edgelord morons who were presented with an impossible task. Finish a story that GRRM has now taken 25 years to barely get halfway through. They could have had the show go for 10 full seasons like HBO offered and it wouldn’t have been much better because they would have had to invent the plot lines and arcs for major book characters that no one, including GRRM, knows what’s going to happen.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 15, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Imagine being so lazy that you find yourself in the insanely rare position of a network wanting to give you more time and money and going "nah"

I hate to defend D&D because they suck and are jackasses. But it wasn’t some lazy decision. Why would they want to deal with the bullshit of having to write two more seasons of plot and character development from scratch for a gigantic sprawling series that they never expected to have to do anything but adapt to the screen?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Because they didn't have to write any of it themselves? :nallears:

They had a super talented writers room at one point and could have relied on a collaboration of minds to come up with a satisfying solution, but in the end they thought it was more important to trick :reddit: than come up with something interesting.

Didn't they admit, more than once, to changing story decisions because they read some random post where someone had figured it out and decided their story had to be ~completely unpredictable~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is pretty funny how each year Martin says he’s had his best year writing Winds of Winter, when it’s been a decade and people reasonably thought it would have come out around season 3-4 of the show.