Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really like how they have you crisscrossing the maps and by doing this set just the right pace for exploration, boss fights and EMMI zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Calidus posted:

I think I figured out my gripe with the end game, I had no idea if I should be using Ice Missile, Plasma Beam or Missile storm on the last couple bosses.

Missile storm does less damage per missile but it's significantly easier to aim. I think 3 storm missiles is almost the same as a regular one, so if you can get three or more lock on definitely go with that.

I usually use storm missiles even if I don't have enough locked on to make up the difference since you can fire while jumping and don't have to be rooted in place to aim.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

stev posted:

Why do publishers do this? What could they possibly have to gain? Is it just to blackmail people into not quitting until the project is done?

I wouldn't be surprised if this came from the MercurySteam side of things rather than Nintendo. A huge exposé about bad working conditions and abusive management at the company was published after the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2, and a lot of the people that were to blame for that never left the company. :(

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

stev posted:

Why do publishers do this? What could they possibly have to gain? Is it just to blackmail people into not quitting until the project is done?

Yes

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Humerus posted:

Missile storm does less damage per missile but it's significantly easier to aim. I think 3 storm missiles is almost the same as a regular one, so if you can get three or more lock on definitely go with that.

I usually use storm missiles even if I don't have enough locked on to make up the difference since you can fire while jumping and don't have to be rooted in place to aim.

Ice + Supers is 400 damage, Storm Missiles are 100 each, iirc.

So they're a DPS loss, but you don't have to worry about lining up shots or whiffing hits.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JordanKai posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this came from the MercurySteam side of things rather than Nintendo. A huge exposé about bad working conditions and abusive management at the company was published after the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2, and a lot of the people that were to blame for that never left the company. :(

Ugh, gross. :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BisbyWorl posted:

Ice + Supers is 400 damage, Storm Missiles are 100 each, iirc.

So they're a DPS loss

Everything I know is a lie

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
man this game owns. i finally got the screw attack so i assume i'm pretty close to the end of the game.

i actually managed to get power bombs out of sequence, but the game just said "you cannot use this yet" which is kinda disappointing. i didn't even really go out of my way to get them

i didn't think experiment Z-57 was as tough as everyone says, and i loved how you see it so many times earlier in the game and it leads to a massive set piece fight. the bosses are top notch, they remind me of dialing in Contra 3 back in the day.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

We need a Raven Beak version, but this will suffice.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
OK, done with item collection and all of the speed booster puzzles- debating whether I actually want to try and speedrun after whatever happens on Hard Mode run. Can't be that bad to at least get it under 4 hours if it doesn't count the time you spend randomly dying to bosses or EMMIs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryOutstandingLEDPupper--VnHMM9r9iXW3bIp

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
The fact that you can’t skip the intro when starting a new game+ is actually gonna drive me insane.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the morph ball bombs after what felt like an eternity, and now i see why they kept them from me for so long

Infinite bomb jumping is back

Time to dust off my diagonal double bomb jump skills i used to sequence break Zero Mission *cracks knuckles*

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

The problem is only when you find a way to not take the obvious path and go through a 1 way teleporter you weren't supposed to go through until getting space jump, but because the game does a lot of closing off every path except for the one in front of you, you just assume that it was intentional and you're on the designed path. 3 hours later and watching a video of someone playing the game let me know I had done a speedrun trick and I needed to get back to where I went off course.

I don't mind the way they designed it, but I spent most of the game thinking "ok, where do the devs want me to go now" as opposed to just going where I wanted to explore. Game is good and tight, but there is very little chilling and exploring for the sake of exploration, which I've really enjoyed about a lot of Metroidvanias lately.

If you're talking about the teleporter I think you are, you can get out of it with just a double jump. You double jump towards the right wall, use a wall jump for your third jump, flash shift back to the right and wall jump again, which puts you in vertical range of the other wall enough to wall jump off that, and over the top.

Or you can infinite bombjump your way up if you're good at infinite bombjumping. But it seemed no place ever stood out as needing that to me. All the sequence breaks I did relied on jumping after a slide or weird shinespark tricks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok, it seems that diagonal bomb jumping is, uh, slightly more difficult to do with a thumbstick than with a d-pad

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

If you're talking about the teleporter I think you are, you can get out of it with just a double jump. You double jump towards the right wall, use a wall jump for your third jump, flash shift back to the right and wall jump again, which puts you in vertical range of the other wall enough to wall jump off that, and over the top.

Or you can infinite bombjump your way up if you're good at infinite bombjumping. But it seemed no place ever stood out as needing that to me. All the sequence breaks I did relied on jumping after a slide or weird shinespark tricks.

Not the Yellow one, but Green. You get there early by shinesparking across the water. Need the screw attack to get back out the ceiling or power bombs to get through the floor. I just took it to mean I was supposed to continue from the only side I could continue from, which you are, but not until after you get space jump.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HenryEx posted:

Ok, it seems that diagonal bomb jumping is, uh, slightly more difficult to do with a thumbstick than with a d-pad

Yeah lol, vertical is dead easy though

e: Actually, can you even diagonal bomb jump in this? I haven't tried

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 14, 2021

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you can somehow map directional input to your d-pad instead, it's probably pretty doable, since it's really just the same mechanics as normal vertical bomb jumping, except that you need to do precise right / left movements in between laying bombs.

Got the "> block" power up and i am not a fan of a button activated speed booster. And a thumb stick, really? I can tolerate it for the cloak since it's not a button you need to hit while doing anything else, really, but stick clicks in general are terrible, especially the ones on your movement stick. ESPECIALLY if you need to move while clicking the move stick.
I much preferred the old "move for x seconds and get fast" method of activation

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I looked up online how to get early bomb and early grapple. I thought slide jumps would be a tremendous pain in the rear end to do, but honestly they aren't that hard. I think the hardest thing about early bomb is that you have to slide jump in an EMMI zone so you have to make sure the EMMI isn't around when you try it. I'm sure later there will be breaks with the speed booster (I've already seen a couple of videos with creative use of shinesparking) that I'm just not good enough to do, but I'm glad that so far most of the sequence breaks that have been discovered don't require super human dexterity and months of practice to hit effectively.

I'm also shocked that someone found the Kraid quick kill. I have no idea what the gently caress made someone think "Hmmm maybe I should bomb this block in a boss fight that normally doesn't have bombs!"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RBA Starblade posted:

No, I mean you should be able to grapple beam the shield out of his hand. It's begging for it!

The shield chozo fights seem exactly like all the other chozo fights, jump over their head, air dash, spam missiles, they turn around to face you, jump, air dash, spam missiles. Do they even get a new move? They're a lot of fun to dumpster on, I'm hoping hard mode adds moves to bosses and it's not just a % buff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SalTheBard posted:

I'm also shocked that someone found the Kraid quick kill. I have no idea what the gently caress made someone think "Hmmm maybe I should bomb this block in a boss fight that normally doesn't have bombs!"

If you go back to the room later the bomb tube is still there, and will unceremoniously hurl you into the middle of the lava pit. It's not a stretch to guess at the purpose it serves once you know it's there and that sequence breaking is possible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

That method would not work well with Dread's level design and with how Speed Booster works in this game. You'd constantly be hearing the speed booster charging up every time you started moving which would get tiresome to say the least.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you go back to the room later the bomb tube is still there, and will unceremoniously hurl you into the middle of the lava pit. It's not a stretch to guess at the purpose it serves once you know it's there and that sequence breaking is possible.

Yeah, and you can see it labeled on your map so it just took an observant player to spot it later and then go back and figure out the sequence break.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Final boss:

Is there any way at all to shorten the flying phase? Almost every fight has a way to shorten the encounter (even the other phases of this boss!) but I can't find any trick for his airborne and it takes forever. I'm tired of spending minutes jumping around him to dodge the drat machine gun.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

YorexTheMad posted:

Final boss:

Is there any way at all to shorten the flying phase? Almost every fight has a way to shorten the encounter (even the other phases of this boss!) but I can't find any trick for his airborne and it takes forever. I'm tired of spending minutes jumping around him to dodge the drat machine gun.

Charge your seeker missiles while you're space jumping around him during the attack. On the descent when you're going around, you can break out of your space jump and get extra locks on him while falling. You should be able to get about 2-3 locks this way!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat! hardmode attempt came in at 4h57m. I knew I wasn't gonna hit it, but not by that much... :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

drat! hardmode attempt came in at 4h57m. I knew I wasn't gonna hit it, but not by that much... :(

:( :hf: :( Right there with you.

HenryEx posted:

If you can somehow map directional input to your d-pad instead, it's probably pretty doable, since it's really just the same mechanics as normal vertical bomb jumping, except that you need to do precise right / left movements in between laying bombs.

Got the "> block" power up and i am not a fan of a button activated speed booster. And a thumb stick, really? I can tolerate it for the cloak since it's not a button you need to hit while doing anything else, really, but stick clicks in general are terrible, especially the ones on your movement stick. ESPECIALLY if you need to move while clicking the move stick.

The fact that this game (unlike fusion) doesn't require any really overtly difficult/precise shinesparks to be executed in the main game or even during many of the sequence breaks already found makes me ok with clicking the stick for it actually. That and the fact that the controls are responsive as gently caress and just general movement feels loving great such that the "Hold button to dash" from super metroid feels real dated now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The fight against two Chozo warriors is so tough for me. I can't do much else than frantically try to get away hoping I get enough time to get a lock-on without stumbling with the controls.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm not agile enough to use all the buttons and movement/commands effectively at right times.

It's probably gonna look like magic to see someone speedrun this game after it's been properly routed.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

YorexTheMad posted:

Final boss:

Is there any way at all to shorten...
Storm missiles are the answer to this and all the other fights that you want to shorten. Just hold R, look at the boss, dodge a bit, and unload.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

Final boss:

if I remember correctly, he has nearly as much HP as the other three forms combined in that phase. I think it was something like 15000 HP. It's a battle of attrition there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there a good guide on how to shinespark up a diagonal path and retain your momentum? Do you have to shinespark diagonally or do you spark straight at it? I'm trying to do Early Gravity suit and I got the first trick to get there, but the second one is 2 shinesparks up diagonal paths but you have to chain them together.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

The fight against two Chozo warriors is so tough for me. I can't do much else than frantically try to get away hoping I get enough time to get a lock-on without stumbling with the controls.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm not agile enough to use all the buttons and movement/commands effectively at right times.

It's probably gonna look like magic to see someone speedrun this game after it's been properly routed.

remember to use the Flash Shift; I forgot about it during a lot of the tough fights

it recharges near immediately and you can use it three times at once to basically reposition yourself however you want

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a good guide on how to shinespark up a diagonal path and retain your momentum? Do you have to shinespark diagonally or do you spark straight at it? I'm trying to do Early Gravity suit and I got the first trick to get there, but the second one is 2 shinesparks up diagonal paths but you have to chain them together.

spark straight at the slope and you'll go into a Speed Boost state after which you'll have to press down to store the shinespark again once you get up the slope or wherever you want to store spark again

sparking

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 14, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

TeaJay posted:

focusing my fire on one chozo at a time really helped me. if i could get a couple hits into the other one, great, but i mostly kept my eyes on one and followed it. dodging the attacks from both is hard enough without actively trying to kill them both at the same time.

e: also flash shift is great against the chozo. you can dodge a lot of their attacks by simply flash shifting behind them. and don't be afraid to use the entire room when you fight. jumping between the platforms and down low makes it much harder for them to hit you with their beams and charge shots.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

If it's that area where it's a short charge through a door, essentially you shine charge straight at the sloped surface. See this crude diagram: -> /

TeaJay posted:

What other posters have said, just remember that whenever YOU change platforms, they will adjust accordingly. This can let you control their movements somewhat and get free hits in as well.

If you get the screw attack early they're hilarious to murder. :unsmigghh:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I know, I know. It's one of those "how the heck do I do this in a fast paced fight" control things.

As soon as I complained I got through and then got stuck to another one of these (with the melee counter gimmick, which is drat hard for me as well) I always do it too early.

I still kinda prefer this type of fights where the bosses don't necessarily have that much health, but it's down to your execution to finish the fight. They just do so much damage your execution has to be top-notch.

e: I don't have the screw attack at this point although the water area had a lot of secret walls you could break with it, so I guess it's possible to get it.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 14, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/nameoftheyear/status/1448403917713248261

https://twitter.com/CaptainMolasses/status/1448439687060852749

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

uPen posted:

The shield chozo fights seem exactly like all the other chozo fights, jump over their head, air dash, spam missiles, they turn around to face you, jump, air dash, spam missiles. Do they even get a new move? They're a lot of fun to dumpster on, I'm hoping hard mode adds moves to bosses and it's not just a % buff.
I'm almost positive they crank up the animation speed on the two recurring minibosses, and it kinda makes them a massive pain in the rear end

TeaJay posted:

From my experience, the silver one either has less HP, or is specifically weak to storm missiles. Focus fire on that one first, and you're golden.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Complaining about the fights always works since I'm making progress again

The fight with the big claw tentacle monster part 2 was probably one of the most intense ones I've had in a long time. I think some fights in Hollow knight gave me the same kinda thrills.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

samus should play for the NBA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Final boss defeated...
Only took me like More than an eternity to finish the game.
In my defense, I enjoyed getting lost way too much.