Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

A pretty nice metro system is being built in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

I remember when EXTRACTION came out on Netflix and they got called out by the gov't for depicting Dhaka as a yellow, grimy shithole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

A pretty nice metro system is being built in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

on elevated platforms I would hope lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

30 hour is nothing. In the 80s I took the good old green colored train from GZ to BJ, it was 2 days 1 night.

I double check the NY to LA train travel time, its 62 hours. I would do it when my kid is older.

i took a 29 hour from chengdu to beijing in the olden days

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, a link from Laos to Singapore is planned by 2030, you would be able to go from Xinjiang to Singapore by only HSR (it would take like 30 hours still).

oh my god :jackbud:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, a link from Laos to Singapore is planned by 2030, you would be able to go from Xinjiang to Singapore by only HSR (it would take like 30 hours still).

oh hell yes I'd love to visit family in SG and then just ride all the way up

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ArmZ posted:

when is the us not saber-rattling though
:hmmyes:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
meanwhile Amtrak is like 50+ hours from California to Chicago!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh hell yes I'd love to visit family in SG and then just ride all the way up

You are supposed to stop by Bangkok and Luang Prabang and Kunming, Dali and do the grand tour.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if China ascending will mean little cargo cult ML parties will pop up all over the world in a reverse 1991 situation when all those lib/Christian dem parties popped up like mushrooms

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if China ascending will mean little cargo cult ML parties will pop up all over the world in a reverse 1991 situation when all those lib/Christian dem parties popped up like mushrooms

Go on youtube and check out the United Wa State.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the eu delenda est

https://twitter.com/europarlAV/status/1448601827902115841

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

What Christian democratic parties?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've got the feeling the EU parliament is very aware that no normal person cares about foreign policy since corona hit. Risk less pandering ahoy

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Centrist Committee posted:

meanwhile Amtrak is like 50+ hours from California to Chicago!

Hey now the average speed is brought down by all the hours you spend stopped yielding to freight trains

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

also to be fair, being stupid enough to hold fair elections after a coup puts her ahead of the average Nobel peace prize winners

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

also to be fair, being stupid enough to hold fair elections after a coup puts her ahead of the average Nobel peace prize winners

Pretty sure she also didn't pay the police the bribes she had promised.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

eSports Chaebol posted:

They were incompetent dumbasses, but the decision to hold those elections wasn't an oopsie that cost them a victory, it was desperate gamble to avoid a defeat far more total. Their hope was that the previous unfortunate accidenting of a bunch of prominent MAS members, supporters, indigenous leaders, and trade unionists was enough to tilt the scales in their favor. Not to mention that while the result of losing that election sucked for them, it's still much better than the prospect of being torn limb from limb that was one of the options in the cards if they didn't hold the elections.

Incidentally, calling the elections fair is... misguided. The Coup Crux Clan did every dirty trick they could get away with, it just wasn't enough to overcome the rekindled support which MAS managed to rally in the aftermath of the coup.

e: Basically, this is attributing to the (admittedly significant) stupidity of the coup government what ought to be much more attributed to the Bolivian people's will to resist them, and the ability of MAS to organizationally recover from a defeat, learn from it, and fight back.

e2: Of course the tweet was deleted already.

my dad has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Oct 14, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That tween was deleted. What are you guys talking about? Bolivia election?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

That tween was deleted. What are you guys talking about? Bolivia election?

the eu parliament account was praising the bolivian coup girlboss like a persecuted freedom fighter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Office Pig posted:

to be fair 'country has lower incarceration rates than america' isn't really much of a bar to clear

north korea also clears it easily even if you go by the poo poo encrusted yeonmi park numbers lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i forget is this the authoritarian strongman who loves putin or the literal nazi who loves western democracy

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i forget is this the authoritarian strongman who loves putin or the literal nazi who loves western democracy

hes the guy that invaded ossetia and brought a russian intervention down on his head, then later ran away to ukraine where they made him part of the government for some reason

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ yeah after the maidan he showed up and they made him governor of odessa lol. he did a corruption, got kicked out and had his citizenship revoked. he had previously renounced georgian citizenship so he's a stateless person now

Some Guy TT posted:

the latter

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Office Pig posted:

the eu parliament account was praising the bolivian coup girlboss like a persecuted freedom fighter

They nominated her for the Sakharov Prize For Freedom of Thought which tbh sounds like a thing for right wing psychos so I guess this is to be expected

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/matt_silberman/status/1448669941872353282

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lmao look at the gaming industry everywhere for some real shockers

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://multimedia.europarl.europa....CIAL-PRESSER_vd

They announced 3 nominees. From the remarks:

quote:

The Sakharov Prize is one of the most visible aspects of the work that the European Parliament does for protecting and promoting human rights, democracy, and freedom around the world. Every year, the parliament considers a range of excellent nominations. All are personalities who risk their lives and liberty in defending fundamental rights. This parliament has celebrated and supported personalities like Denis Mukwege, or Nadia Murad, not to mention last year's laureates from the democratic opposition in Belarus. Unfortunately, throughout this past year, freedom of thought has continued to be under attack in many parts of the world. It is important to stress that the parliament stands with all activists who dedicate their lives at great personal risk around the world in defense of these values. It is therefore a vote, not against anybody, but rather a democratic vote by the parliament in favor of the three shortlisted candidates.

If you'd like to learn more about the candidates, you can do so here: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/eu-affairs/20210916STO12702/sakharov-prize-2021-the-nominees

Thread favorites lie within!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Agrajag posted:

lmao look at the gaming industry everywhere for some real shockers

The Chinese tech industry emulating Silicon Valley isn't a good thing

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Maximo Roboto posted:

The Chinese tech industry emulating Silicon Valley isn't a good thing

im pointing out that the tech industry is horrible period from how they treat workers to how they attempt to "disrupt" poo poo

like the latest techbro poo poo of paying the the employer to skip the interview process in order to get a job

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You would think a nominally communist country would be pretty good on labor rights :thunk:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Feldegast42 posted:

You would think a nominally communist country would be pretty good on labor rights :thunk:

are you an anarchist?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Feldegast42 posted:

im a techbro racist

as in i hate techbros and i think they are all subhuman scum

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

they have a right to work, as all good citizens do

e:

quote:

Pinduoduo monetizes primarily through advertising - about 90% of Pinduoduo's revenues come from online marketing services with the remainder coming from transaction services.

On Pinduoduo, users can discover and purchase products from a wide range of sellers. What sets Pinduoduo apart is the social aspect where users can easily share what they have browsed or purchased with their social network, inviting them to join teams of mostly two people within 24 hours to enjoy a lower price. Users get a clear benefit of enjoying a lower price while still having the convenience of getting the product shipped to them individually.

The user experience is anchored around browsing and interactions, as opposed to deliberate, search-based discovery. The company presents users with a personalized feed of products to encourage them to explore, a user experience that is designed to more closely resemble visiting a real-world shopping mall or a bazaar.

lmao

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Oct 15, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Bulk selling, but disruptive

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

The guy who was filmed nervously eating his tie as Georgia got its poo poo pushed in by Russia.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Judakel posted:

are you an anarchist?
Long work hours don't determine whether a country is communist or not, or how communist it is, nor how effectively it's doing communism. Nevertheless, it's a fair criticism in its own way.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Long work hours don't determine whether a country is communist or not, or how communist it is, nor how effectively it's doing communism. Nevertheless, it's a fair criticism in its own way.

not an answer

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Bulk selling, but disruptive

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I suppose that if the question is "who runs things" then it should be assumed that workers would not give themselves bad working hours without need or incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

All that said, the last article I read about 12 hour work days 6 days a week in the tech industry, Vice had basically a single citation and it was a "tech executives" who was working his butt off so I assume he was getting paid more.

The article also mentioned that China has a 44 hour maximum work week but idk about enforcement.