Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Great they're getting the plastic out of the ocean garbage patch. But what's the plan with it next. Just ship it to the nearest land based dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Marenghi posted:

Great they're getting the plastic out of the ocean garbage patch. But what's the plan with it next. Just ship it to the nearest land based dump?

comedy option would be incineration to power the ship

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

trying to colonize different planets in our solar system would be a complete and utter waste of time, orbital colonies are the way to go

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Tried watching the Nature Abhors a Dome video again and nobody warmed me that he literally does the loving Joker laugh repeatedly. What the gently caress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

HerraS posted:

trying to colonize different planets in our solar system would be a complete and utter waste of time, orbital colonies are the way to go

not wrong but they’d all end up like bioshock infinite

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Marenghi posted:

Sell the earned plastic quotas, and the plastic, to a plastic arbitrage company that dumps it back into the ocean

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bowser posted:

Tried watching the Nature Abhors a Dome video again and nobody warmed me that he literally does the loving Joker laugh repeatedly. What the gently caress.

which joker laugh though? there are a lot of them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol WA state officially banned "thin single use plastic bags" but are allowing "thick reusable plastic bags" which meant of course that I went and grabbed some teriyaki and they gave it to me in one of those thick rear end plastic bags instead of just letting me grab just the box o food like they used to.

gently caress

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

HerraS posted:

our hearts will no longer be held down by gravity!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

silicone thrills posted:

lol WA state officially banned "thin single use plastic bags" but are allowing "thick reusable plastic bags" which meant of course that I went and grabbed some teriyaki and they gave it to me in one of those thick rear end plastic bags instead of just letting me grab just the box o food like they used to.

gently caress

I'm one of the few people I see reusing those bags lol, I forgot my canvas one time and now I feel obligated to get as much use out of these plastic bags as I can but every time I go it's all people buying new ones instead of bringing them back

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mayor Dave posted:

I'm one of the few people I see reusing those bags lol, I forgot my canvas one time and now I feel obligated to get as much use out of these plastic bags as I can but every time I go it's all people buying new ones instead of bringing them back

I used one for package stuffing so at least it gets somewhat reused. I've been on the canvas bag train since like 2006 once I realized it was easier on my hands to carry up to my apartment. I've pretty religiously always have one with me lol.

I keep laughing at this stupid rear end "well you'd have to use a cotton bag for 10 years before its better than a plastic bag" bullshits (which are all loving wrong anyway) but im like lol you dumb bitches i've been using the same bags for 15. gently caress you.

The 1$ trader joes bags are god drat beasts. And they look neato

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

gently caress

Maine did this recently too. i really feel like we're ready to take on climate change now

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Paradoxish posted:

One of my college friends went into marine biology and she's the most crack pinged person I've ever met. Nobody in this thread, probably not even Rime, comes even close to the level of doom that I get from her. It's insane.

Yeah, by virtue of having been a very active mountaineer most of my life (until the wind years) a significant portion of my friends are Masters or PhD's in some form of environmental science, from botany to glaciology. They've kept me from going insane via uncertainty as to whether or not I'm sane, over the years.

I get a hearty chuckle when people try to downplay what I post, as a result. If I'm trapped in a well, there are an awful lot of scientists down here with me. :science:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
good luck capturing microplastics with a net

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
any plausible reason to have hope would depend on rich people being OK with losing money

so yeah, it's hopeless

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Homocow posted:

good luck capturing microplastics with a net

I'm sure there's some chemical we can pour into the ocean to dissolve them into nanoplastics

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

gently caress

hawaii did this and it legitimately made a substantially noticeable difference. I used to see those horrible thin plastic bags everywhere outside just blowing around, or pieces of them stuck in bushes and trees and on the beach. I haven’t seen any in years though.

also it normalized just carrying your poo poo out in your hands. I don’t need a bag for this gallon of ice cream and 12 pack, I have two hands I can carry it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where i'm at in california they banned plastic bags and went to only paper or bring your own reusables but then after covid started all the grocery stores went back to the thicker "reusable" plastic bags that entire treats like single-use bags

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Oct 14, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite part of covid was when every grocery store simultaneously banned reusable bags for no discernable reason at all.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This is 100% the plastics equivalent of the CC plant in Iceland, for the ratio of poo poo collected vs. poo poo being pumped into the ocean every second of every day.

LMAO indeed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mediaphage posted:

irl though it’s usually the case that there’s plenty of other stuff for them to digest and so they’ll generally be outcompeted by microbes that don’t end up with these mutations. so while we’ll see limited examples popping up they’re mostly only going to be useful for industrial biodigesters and never imo as a sort of general widespread bug that eats all the plastic.
yep

also a key underlining point thus far is this poo poo only works when you put it into an industrial vat and heat it up to 65c+ (using fossil fuels) to significantly soften it first because at normal temps it's just too chained up to be viable to eat. lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So you always, always, see new renewables projects in the news as "X Megawatts, enough production to power Y Thousand Households! ". The actual power purchase agreements are rarely discussed in the media.

Homework time: find the common factor between these four projects announced in Alberta for next year:

https://www.tcenergy.com/announceme...arm-to-alberta/

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-808552608.html

https://bluearthrenewables.com/shell-ppa/

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/ne...t-with-Dow.html

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they're in alberta, a terrible thing in itself

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

which joker laugh though? there are a lot of them

idk about the video but as an incredibly broken person mine is the busted laugh box from the end of batman '89

Rime posted:

So you always, always, see new renewables projects in the news as "X Megawatts, enough production to power Y Thousand Households! ". The actual power purchase agreements are rarely discussed in the media.

Homework time: find the common factor between these four projects announced in Alberta for next year:

well its alberta so i assume they're using them to power more tar sand digging

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marenghi posted:

use Science Enzyme to turn it into more plastic containers, forever

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

my favorite part of covid was when every grocery store simultaneously banned reusable bags for no discernable reason at all.

It's because exercising your societal OCD about cleanliness means god will smile on you and halt your death by the aerosol respiratory virus that has nothing to do with what you touched

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Engineering a microbe to deal with plastic pollution by metabolizing it into carbon emissions.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Engineering a microbe to deal with carbon pollution by metabolizing it into plastic emissions.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's interesting in the sense of recycling plastic into components, potentially, and remaking plastic - but that's only good for the amount of plastic we'd see if we only kept what was absolutely necessary after we banned most use cases

anyway in re bags a bunch of places here just switched entirely to paper

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mark immune posted:

Engineering a microbe to deal with carbon pollution by metabolizing it into plastic emissions.

humans are already turning into plastic; we don't need a microbe to help us do that

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hey doomers, here's some normie hope

I'll bite, how destructive is the process of making the enzyme? I was really hoping they found/made a microbe that could eat plastic because then it would be our moral imperative to let that microbe loose upon the world.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stereotype posted:

hawaii did this and it legitimately made a substantially noticeable difference. I used to see those horrible thin plastic bags everywhere outside just blowing around, or pieces of them stuck in bushes and trees and on the beach. I haven’t seen any in years though.

also it normalized just carrying your poo poo out in your hands. I don’t need a bag for this gallon of ice cream and 12 pack, I have two hands I can carry it.

my favorite thing about this is seattle fully banned plastic bags like a decade ago and this brought them back though lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when can i eat the microbe to have it get rid of all the plastic polluting my body

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
engineer a nanobot that disrupts the intermolecular force holding humans together

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

engineer a nanobot that disrupts the intermolecular force holding humans together

that's called ebola, op

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rime posted:

quote:

In addition to all the power produced by the Sharp Hills Wind Farm, TC Energy will receive rights to all environmental attributes

quote:

Under this agreement, Pembina will receive both renewable electricity and environmental attributes for an 18-year term.

quote:

Under the terms of the PPA, Shell Energy will purchase the electricity and associated emission offsets from 100 MW of the Project’s capacity.

quote:

Capital Power Corporation (TSX: CPX) announced today a 15-year renewable power purchase agreement with Dow Chemical Canada ULC, a subsidiary of Dow (NYSE: DOW), for 25 megawatts (MW) of capacity and the associated environmental attributes from our Whitla Wind 2 project, currently under construction in southeastern Alberta.

quote:

Environmental attributes are the credits, benefits, emissions reductions, environmental air quality credits and emissions reduction credits, offsets, and allowances resulting from the avoidance of the emission of a gas, chemical, or other substance attributable to the wind project during the term of the PPA, together with the right to report those credits. Environmental attributes are sometimes called “green tags,” “green tag reporting rights,” or “renewable energy credits.” The PPA should make it clear that production tax credits, wind energy incentives (such as those that may be provided under a state program), and any other environmental attributes necessary to generate the quantity of power being sold to the purchaser are not part of the environmental attributes and thus are not being conveyed to the purchaser.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
love to build some wind farms so that i can build a coal plant right next to them, effectively skirting any environmental regulations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stereotype posted:

love to build some wind farms so that i can build a coal plant right next to them, effectively skirting any environmental regulations.

No, you see, you need the coal plant next to the wind farm so that when there's no wind you can use the power from the coal plant to make the turbines turn so people THINK the wind farm is working even when there's no wind. It's all about *appearances*!

In fact, if you were to use the coal plant to make the turbines in the front rows turn *faster* there'd be more wind power blowing force to drive the ones behind it! :downs:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

our hearts will no longer be held down by gravity!

Oh hey Mr. Bezos, nice to see you posting in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

nomad2020 posted:

I'll bite, how destructive is the process of making the enzyme? I was really hoping they found/made a microbe that could eat plastic because then it would be our moral imperative to let that microbe loose upon the world.

Too lazy to read the article, but I assume this is the enzyme recently patented by some prof poking around in the guts of wax moth larva in which case it's already loose. So far wax moth larvae continue to prefer wax to plastic, which is a drat good thing because a lot of beekeepers use styrene plastic foundation for the bees to build their comb on. Bad enough to lose the comb to an infestation of wax moths, having the foundation eaten as well is really going to piss them off.

My bees prefer wax foundation to plastic, unfortunately a lot of wax foundation now is produced in China. There's a number of Canadian ag chemicals I don't want my honey sitting on, I definitely don't want the added industrial pollution China has. It would be worse than growing something downwind of Alberta's Swan Hills hazardous waste disposal facility.

Iqaluit, a city of 8,000 in Northern Canada, has had its water supply contaminated with fuel. There's some speculation that the melting permafrost is shifting and breaking buried pipes, allowing contamination to infiltrate. Still the question of where the fuel came from but that far north there's very few ways to deal with fuel spills: a shovel, lighting it on fire, ignoring it, or some combination of the three.

Rime posted:

It's Alberta, therefore the grift is turned up to 11.

Alberta delenda est.