Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wrr posted:

Oh drat the Gavin is what the APC in the original C&C is based on isn't it?

Yep. A truck with tracks. Why go half-track, when you can have the whole track?

It was the lightest, most basic vehicle needed to keep up with armor. Earlier vehicles with the same form factor ended up being as heavy as a tank. Huge engines, heavy transmissions, and steel armor that still wouldn't hold up to heavy machine gun fire. Weight for no practical protection.

The immediate predecessor of the M113 did pioneer the "power-pak" concept. Open up the front hatch, and the whole engine and transmission pulled out on a shelf.

Modern perspective: US light infantry liked the Stryker, because it's better than marching around or riding in a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wrr posted:

Oh drat the Gavin is what the APC in the original C&C is based on isn't it?

Don't call it that. That's not its name.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

McNally posted:

Don't call it that. That's not its name.

The proper name is Command and Conquer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A 'G' is a 1000
Greek numerals A = 1
Roman numerals VI = 6
And N = 50

1000+1+6+50
GAVIN = 1057

M = 1000, so

M113 = 1113

Thus, we have mathematically proven M113 > GAVIN

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Tunicate posted:

A 'G' is a 1000
Greek numerals A = 1
Roman numerals VI = 6
And N = 50

1000+1+6+50
GAVIN = 1057

M = 1000, so

M113 = 1113

Thus, we have mathematically proven M113 > GAVIN

The Roman numeral for 50 is L.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Edit i misread the weird post.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Who tf is Gavin

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

Who tf is Gavin

Oh, some chucklefuck took it upon himself to give an "official" name to the M113 and chose to name it after LTG James Gavin

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My favorite tank is the Longstreet

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone whose favorite tank isn’t the Sherman with a flamethrower bolted on is so far beyond wrong that it’s ridiculous :colbert:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/o5rut5/i_fixed_mike_sparks_cartoon_about_the_gavin/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Light infantry broke my knees and back but I’d rather do that for five years than the year I spent in an armored unit.

gently caress tracked vehicles forever. I’d rather walk and recon for IEDs with my feet.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Who tf is Gavin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G49cXZnj61Y&t=23s

McNally posted:

Oh, some chucklefuck took it upon himself to give an "official" name to the M113 and chose to name it after LTG James Gavin

LTG James Gavin isn't a racist or white supremacist or confederate is he?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Wrr posted:

LTG James Gavin isn't a racist or white supremacist or confederate is he?

According to Wikipedia he was a proponent of integrating the military.

But that's not a no.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

McNally posted:

According to Wikipedia he was a proponent of integrating the military.

But that's not a no.

Inside the belly of the Gavin there is no room for race to separate us; we're all one and the same, like at the end of Volcano (1997) (Or was it Dante's Peak?)

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

quote:

On Jan. 6, 2021, a Donald Trump supporter named James Mault took part in the attack on the U.S. Capitol.

On Jan. 18, the FBI interviewed Mault about his role in the riot that day.

Mault, who was known to online sleuths as #IronWorkerGuy because he was wearing a helmet with a bunch of stickers referencing New York unions, soon lost his job.

What takes it into idiot territory:

quote:

Then, in June, James Mault joined the U.S. Army as an active-duty soldier.

and

quote:

But the events of Jan. 6 occurred during a short window over the last eight years when Mault was not in the Army. He first enlisted in 2013 and was an active-duty soldier until 2016, once deploying for a year to Kuwait, Buccino said. From 2016 to 2020, Mault served in the Army Reserve.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-mault-capitol-attack-trump-army-military_n_6168753de4b065a54971c1d6

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Davethulhu posted:

...short window...

...From 2016 to 2020...

Whether or not this period is what they meant with the phrase "short window", this period of time was not one I would have described as feeling...short...or having passed quickly...
Quite the opposite really.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SerthVarnee posted:

Whether or not this period is what they meant with the phrase "short window", this period of time was not one I would have described as feeling...short...or having passed quickly...

A few days ago I had the realization that 2021 has flown by at warp speed compared to 2020.

2016 to now has been a lifetime of poo poo happening.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SerthVarnee posted:

They definitely did not refer to 2016 to 2020 as a short window. They said he stormed the Capitol during the short window he wasn't in the Army, sometime in 2020 to early 2021.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

End of Dante’s Peak Brosnan, Hamilton, a kid, and maybe a dog are trapped in a mine, and radio for help with an impossibly small ELF transceiver.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

End of Dante’s Peak Brosnan, Hamilton, a kid, and maybe a dog are trapped in a mine, and radio for help with an impossibly small ELF transceiver.

Okay I looked it up, in Volcano there is a sub-plot about an Black man being hassled by a racist LAPD cop, but the volcano makes them have to work together. then at the end a kid remarks that racism was solved because the volcano ash makes everyone "look the same"

Dante's Peak also has the old lady get roasted in an acid lake or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wrr posted:

That happens right after bad CGI lava sneaks up on her cabin and bursts through the wall like it’s a slasher movie villain. Also the acid lake eats through a steel outboard propeller in about a minute, so how am I supposed to believe that this old lady can hop out of the boat and manage to push it to shore without being disintegrated in a few seconds?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wrr posted:

Okay I looked it up, in Volcano there is a sub-plot about an Black man being hassled by a racist LAPD cop, but the volcano makes them have to work together. then at the end a kid remarks that racism was solved because the volcano ash makes everyone "look the same"

Volcano also has this legendary scene which is just begging to be mashed up with the ending of Terminator 2

https://youtu.be/R01bex9Ejvg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

how big are they normally?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Volcano also has this legendary scene which is just begging to be mashed up with the ending of Terminator 2

https://youtu.be/R01bex9Ejvg

hahaha i know without even looking that this is the dude slowly melting into the lava

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/OZ1RKBZ.mp4

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

how big are they normally?
It was backpack sized. They made a show of Brosnan taking it off their robot and putting it in their truck so it would be there at the finale.

I guess hobbyists have messed around with active antennas that were only around 18”, but there were some stations with buried antennas 30 miles long. Also they need a lot of power.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'm the lit cigarette

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

That man's field of fucks is barren and empty. No gently caress will ever grow there again. And thus he has no fucks to give.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

That happens right after bad CGI lava sneaks up on her cabin and bursts through the wall like it’s a slasher movie villain. Also the acid lake eats through a steel outboard propeller in about a minute, so how am I supposed to believe that this old lady can hop out of the boat and manage to push it to shore without being disintegrated in a few seconds?

Not all acids destroy the same materials at the same speed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Not all acids destroy the same materials at the same speed.
Still, it should make quick work of an old lady.

She was played by Elizabeth Hoffman who played Catherine on SG-1, and is still alive at age 94.

Edit: When a dumb computer glitch disenrolled me on accident from all my classes for my last semester of CC I got stuck in online Intro to Geology. One of the projects was to watch Dante’s Peak and point out as many in Inaccuracies as you found.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 14, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Are ya winning, son?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: When a dumb computer glitch disenrolled me on accident from all my classes for my last semester of CC I got stuck in online Intro to Geology. One of the projects was to watch Dante’s Peak and point out as many in Inaccuracies as you found.

"yes"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you can look that cool doing something stupid than it’s not stupid.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The one memory I have of Dante's Peak is of Pierce Brosnan staring at bad CGI lava and muttering what the hell is that like he's completely oblivious to the fact that lava is that stuff that comes out of volcanoes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I was a geology major, and the geo honors society used to host "Bad Geology Movie Night" where we'd watch bad movies with worse grasps on geology than Hollywood usually has on science. We'd commandeer a lecture hall and projector and buy bulk popcorn to throw at the screen.

"Dante's Peak" and "Volcano" were favorites, along with "The Core" and a couple particularly lousy versions of "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

"Dante's Peak" actually gets a lot of stuff not completely wrong, but then it gets a lot of other stuff really completely wrong too and it's just an awful movie all around.

brains
May 12, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The one memory I have of Dante's Peak is of Pierce Brosnan staring at bad CGI lava and muttering what the hell is that like he's completely oblivious to the fact that lava is that stuff that comes out of volcanoes.

that's actually Volcano and it's not just Tommy Lee Jones but the whole movie, and i swear it's a bit because no one even utters the word volcano until like deep in the 2nd act. iirc there's a scene with news anchors staring at lava saying "we've never seen anything like this before," lol. it's real bad.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

Wyoming doesn’t exist, so it’s basically like being a space guardian.

Has anyone seen a guardian in the wild or are they mythical beasts like unicorns?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did you never shut up about field camp like kids just out of basic training? I double majored in GIS & Anthropology so a lot of my classmates were Geology majors, and they’d all talk your ear off about “this one time in field camp!”

Only other Geology movie I can think of that I’ve seen is the ‘59 Journey to the Center of the Earth. The one I think Raiders of the Lost Ark stole the Boulder chase from, but executed so much better. It’s a decently fun movie despite starring arch-douchebag Pat Boone. We watched it in 8th grade Earth Science. The Core came out that year but I’ve never actually seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

boop the snoot posted:

Light infantry broke my knees and back but I’d rather do that for five years than the year I spent in an armored unit.

gently caress tracked vehicles forever. I’d rather walk and recon for IEDs with my feet.

Curious why. The culture, the unit, the maintenance, the thrown tracks?