Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

iospace posted:

Headed up to Anderson on Wednesday to only buy paper, maybe test drive some pens and ink.

Watch me come back with a pen and ink anyway.

Clear Eco or 580 with Diamine Red Dragon.

Good pens and good ink, future you is correct about "test driving".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keetron posted:

Good pens and good ink, future you is correct about "test driving".

There's a few inks and papers I do want to test, for real.

I also want to handle an urushi pen, because I want to know if I have the allergy to it or not, but eh.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

iospace posted:

There's a few inks and papers I do want to test, for real.

I also want to handle an urushi pen, because I want to know if I have the allergy to it or not, but eh.

Urushi is only allergenic in liquid form.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted:

Urushi is only allergenic in liquid form.

I've been told it can be allergenic as a solid if you have an extreme enough allergy.

Knowing how my skin is, there's a chance I may but eh. Want to check anyway.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I mean, if the pen is pretty enough, you can always wear gloves.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Finally, an excuse to buy some leather writing gloves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I realized I'm the worst at cleaning my pens regularly, so I tallied everything up and when I inked it last and blah blah blah.

21 pens in working order, 1 that has a new nib on order, 1 dead dead pen, 14 ink bottles, and a bunch of lamy, monteverde, and platinum carts laying around.

Oh, and three Rhodia A5 dot pads (one of which is full), two Rhodia hardcover A5 webbies, my Galen Leather notebook (300 pages of 52 GSM Tomoe River, the good stuff), and two Endless Notebooks, both with 68 GSM Tomoe River.

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 11, 2021

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear Pilot,

Please take a trip to Platinum and ask them to show you how to make a converter.

Sincerely,
iospace

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

iospace posted:

Dear Pilot,

Please take a trip to Platinum and ask them to show you how to make a converter.

Sincerely,
iospace
Funny, I just spent way too much time cleaning ink out of the body of a metro that I left forgotten on its side for a few months and had the same thought.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have you heard the good word about our lord and savior, a blunt cannula and syringe

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Pilot knows how to make a converter. The one that they had before their current one was pretty good! They just refuse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just bought a Pilot that doesn't need a converter :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

I just bought a Pilot that doesn't need a converter :smug:

Post that bitch.

I got a few new things.

My pen rolled over the writing and welp

Heath posted:

Have you heard the good word about our lord and savior, a blunt cannula and syringe

yes, I have, and it's so stupid that you have to do that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

iospace posted:

yes, I have, and it's so stupid that you have to do that.

I thought that too at first, now I feel like any other filling method is needlessly messy and fussy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

iospace posted:

Post that bitch.

I can't because I literally just ordered it. However, it looks just like this...but clear. My plan is to eventually pick up a 743 with an FA nib and do a swap

But that's not to say I don't have anything new to post.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

I can't because I literally just ordered it. However, it looks just like this...but clear. My plan is to eventually pick up a 743 with an FA nib and do a swap

But that's not to say I don't have anything new to post.

Nice.

Also, I somehow went to Anderson and did NOT get a pen.

How I don't know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Attention all!

I have found my dad's old fountain pens. I'm cleaning them now (doing an overnight soak at the moment), and would like help IDing them.

One's a waterman, the other is unknown. Both are going to get serenity blue though!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

T-T-T-T-TRIPLE POST

I love you bulb syringes. You clean out pens so drat quick.

Here's the Waterman:

Don't know if it's gold color or actually gold (considering the lack of a purity marker, likely just a coating), but it's a fine.

Writes pretty well too:

It had a converter in it that still worked! So that was nice

And the mystery pen:

No marking in regards to tip size, no branding, nothing. Just the body shape to go off of. It takes international standard cartridges, but a spare converter I had was a smidge too long for it, so I have a Monteverde Black short cartridge in there.

It's writing!

But I don't know if it's lack of ink to the nib at the moment due to "hasn't had time to saturate the feed" or there's still stuff in it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

From the look of it, I'd say that the mystery pen is a kit pen he either made or purchased from someone who turned it. I'm pretty sure this is the kit it was assembled from: https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Woodturning-Fountain-Finishes-Multi-Packs/dp/B0781YKPQ5. Nothing special, unfortunately, but if it writes well then it's a good find!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The Waterman is a Laureat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Talked to Dad, he did confirm he got the kit pen at an art fair, was told it wouldn't work with a converter (barrel is too short), and got the Waterman instead.

Thanks for the IDs!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I should round up my pens and get a pic for the new collections forum, but mine aren't very impressive.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In somewhat sad news, Nock is shuttering their operations and has earmarked all remaining inventory for 50% off clearance. They had a great run from the Kickstarter era to current but they cited in their last announcement time and money aren't working out for them. If you've been looking for some nice pen storage, I have a few of their things and can vouch well for them, including their notebook covers. As they say, get 'em while they're hot.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

aldantefax posted:

In somewhat sad news, Nock is shuttering their operations and has earmarked all remaining inventory for 50% off clearance. They had a great run from the Kickstarter era to current but they cited in their last announcement time and money aren't working out for them. If you've been looking for some nice pen storage, I have a few of their things and can vouch well for them, including their notebook covers. As they say, get 'em while they're hot.

Ya, the writing was kinda on the wall which is a shame. Their Kickstarter campaign late last year went well and I like the rewards I got and the reward that was done under the Pen Addict label a couple years ago is one of my favorite A5 notebook cases (the Burton); I do like my SEED covers as well.

But, there's been no new product releases for a while, they dialed back to web store only from having dealers, Brad bought out his partner, and Brad has a lot of plates spinning with Spoke, the blog, and so on.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In other news, I see that Bullet Journal v2.0 is starting to make the rounds, which, are people in on that jam? I feel like a lot of folks have ended up getting into higher-end stationery and fountain pens specifically as a result of being introduced to Leuchtturms etc. via Ryder and co.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

aldantefax posted:

In other news, I see that Bullet Journal v2.0 is starting to make the rounds, which, are people in on that jam? I feel like a lot of folks have ended up getting into higher-end stationery and fountain pens specifically as a result of being introduced to Leuchtturms etc. via Ryder and co.

I am an old and I feel that a bullet journal made it a bit of a chore to journal at all. I hope it helped more people than it disappointed.
I learned to write FP when I was 7. It was a mess but my teachers kept at it. Thank you Meester Muller.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Honestly, I found it to be confusing after I watched the video :shobon:

Like do I ever need good reasons for more notebooks?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah Bullet Journaling is one of those things that works better in theory than in practice. The new one seems to facilitate the worst aspects of BuJo-ing (spending more time formatting and decorating the list of things to do than actually doing any of the things on the list)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The original bullet journal was "I have ADHD and it turns out it's helpful to just write down every goddamn thing in a book I carry everywhere, with a little table of contents near the front to remind me where I put everything, and maybe different bullets so I can tell my 'this happened's from my 'to do's".

But then Pinterest and Instagram happened and it became about 'spreads', which is pretty but really makes it executive dysfunctional if you've got swiss cheese brains.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Everett False posted:

The original bullet journal was "I have ADHD and it turns out it's helpful to just write down every goddamn thing in a book I carry everywhere, with a little table of contents near the front to remind me where I put everything, and maybe different bullets so I can tell my 'this happened's from my 'to do's".

Oh, seems I do bullet journalling but without the index in the front. I do have ADD and use a weird system of earmarks, dots, crosses and only keeping one topic on a page. And then my book is full and I gently caress around with two books for a few weeks.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Everett False posted:

But then Pinterest and Instagram happened and it became about 'spreads', which is pretty but really makes it executive dysfunctional if you've got swiss cheese brains.

Yeah, “bullet journaling” started as a very broad description of a useful pattern, and as happens so often to broad descriptions of useful patterns, it got eaten by a (or a few) specific implementation(s) that waaaaay over specified everything and is now so overloaded a term as to be meaningless.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Keetron posted:

Oh, seems I do bullet journalling but without the index in the front. I do have ADD and use a weird system of earmarks, dots, crosses and only keeping one topic on a page. And then my book is full and I gently caress around with two books for a few weeks.

This is also how I do it. Just cram poo poo in with my own weird shorthand and call it good. Decoration never extends beyond an not-so-elaborate skull or calligraphied "gently caress" in the margins during a Zoom meeting where I want to die (all of them)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Everett False posted:

Reminds me of what happened to agile software development

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

There is no system so simple that it cannot be made complex for the sake of showing off the complicated thing you did.

I got a couple mid-size bottles of Ferris Wheel Press inks for my birthday last week (April Showers and Edward Gardens), I think they're pretty. :3:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

You have some pretty good taste in inks and your picture reminded me that I should be glad with the stigma of nail polish on men else I would be all over that poo poo.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So is “Bullet Journal 2.0” a revised system or just a new edition of the physical journal?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The new hotness has arrived, a clear Custom 823 with a broad nib.

The very first thing I did when the pen showed up was slap in a three slit ebonite feed, so of course Emerald of Chivor was the first ink i reached for. As I've said, my ultimate goal is to put a FA nib in it and have some fun.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 19, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

So is “Bullet Journal 2.0” a revised system or just a new edition of the physical journal?

So there was this thing that people do: make lists and have some way to keep track of what is a task to do, what is a point to remember and maybe retrieve later, what needs a follow up, etc. People use different symbols for each type of task, everyone kind of makes up a simple or elaborate system that works for them.
Along came the internet and some people thought about the list more than the things on the list and that is fine. However, they made nice video's and articles and so on about it and notebook makers were all over that poo poo as selling notebooks is what they do, so along came the dotted notebooks in troves. And then more people got into making awesome looking little pieces of art and posting it all over the internet instead of doing the things actually on their list and that is fine, cause that is how the world turns, drat us with our fancy pens are partially in this same strange sub culture of stationary lovers.
And then the marketing people and book makers and so on took it a step further, finding out what people most like about making lists that look nice and designed a system so that if you "buy our stuff and feel better", you too can make an instagram worthy todo list. Instead of doing the loving things on your list. That is basically BJ2.0 and the comparison with agile software development was so spot on, it stung a bit. Now all we need is clueless managers realising people don't achieve task because the to do list they are using is not fancy enough and we will get Scalable Bullet Journals For Enterprises, which will increase your productivity by 876858645%, all you have to do is hire me as a consultant to teach your people how to write a collaborative, scalable and TargetList to Accelerate your Key Objectives into the Stratosphere. We don't use BulletJournal anymore, it is too weaponized, we use TargetList(tm) that I happen to have trademarked.

Yes, I am angry about things. Two more days at this job.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I’m aware of the general trend and how it’s mostly dumb people focusing on the wrong things (very much like agile development!).

I was just wondering if “2.0” there’s been any practical changes to the method outlined in the book or if it’s just people gushing over a new print of the physical journal conveniently sold by the same company. Google seems to indicate the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There are some additional shorthand markers to make drawing specific line lengths easier that appear to be baked into the page layouts to more rapidly set up pages for various things, kind of like how the Hobonichi Techo has little extra dots to help with page guides. I couldn't see much of a difference otherwise but I might pick one up because why not.