Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

Those games were New though. Mario got extremely tiny. Basically a differetn genre

um... the nsmb games all use 3d models for the characters which mean its just a forced perspective trick (mario gets further away from the camera)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

b_d posted:

they made 50000 "new super mario bros" games, they could make a few levels for one drat star fox

that's why I said "rarely"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mycophobia posted:

they were also the problem

the button layout specifically and not the motion controls were a small part of the reason why the game was bad but it was mostly bad due to the awful level and route design where almost every stage was a tedious all range mode level and you couldnt avoid doing at least one lovely gimmick level

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ArfJason posted:

um... the nsmb games all use 3d models for the characters which mean its just a forced perspective trick (mario gets further away from the camera)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i don't know, if they do it a million times i wouldn't say it's rare, even if those are all in the same series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They stopped making NSMB games eight years ago.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
"They" don't want you playing New Super Mario Bros. games.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Those games were New though. Mario got extremely far away from the camera. Basically a differetn genre

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

only old super mario games will be made from now on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

"They" don't want you playing New Super Mario Bros. games.

:staredog:

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

mycophobia posted:

thinking about raising some chao

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i still enjoy the original but it only runs at 10 FPS and is barely playable if you didnt grow up with it lol

I hated it when I played it and it made me wish i was at the pizza place with arcade cabinets playing space harrier instead. Alas the skws have taken pizza from us

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm not even sure that star fox 64 is actually good. i remember it being good, but thinking back, a lot of the challenge in getting gold medals was just memorizing the levels so you could shoot at the corners while the screen moved you away from the things you needed to hit to get points. i remember getting almost all of them and then having trouble with sector Z, which i think was one of the actually fair challenges where the thing was just that time was running against you.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

mycophobia posted:

thinking about raising some chao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

i'm not even sure that star fox 64 is actually good. i remember it being good, but thinking back, a lot of the challenge in getting gold medals was just memorizing the levels so you could shoot at the corners while the screen moved you away from the things you needed to hit to get points. i remember getting almost all of them and then having trouble with sector Z, which i think was one of the actually fair challenges where the thing was just that time was running against you.

It runs at like 7 fps so its pretty brutal but the 3ds version running at 15 fps is p deece and fairly chill

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

uh no its great. you can get all the gold medals without doing retarded poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

It runs at like 7 fps so its pretty brutal but the 3ds version running at 15 fps is p deece and fairly chill

outside of aquas the framerate is fine! im not going to sit here and listen to people say star fox 64 is anything less than one of hte greatest games ever made

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

uh no its great. you can get all the gold medals without doing retarded poo poo

i trust myco on rail shooters more than me, so i am going to say that it's good now.

i definitely remember enjoying it but it's been a long time and it seems weird that they were never able to recapture what was good about it. just use the same controls and make some more levels.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im not saying its not great lol i love it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

outside of aquas the framerate is fine! im not going to sit here and listen to people say star fox 64 is anything less than one of hte greatest games ever made

It's the best N64 game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When do we get the N64 games on the Switch

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mycophobia posted:

Thank you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

It's the best N64 game.

don't get too cocky, star fox.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The starfox64 promotion video from Nintendo Power got me so amped up my parents gave me the game a few days earlier than my birthday to shut me up. The video was right, the game rules.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol i'd forgotten about the nintendo power vhs tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLGHdD5NZc

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao thank you, Tato. the Sony guy giving 110 percent but being really bad at it while everyone else kind of half-asses it, lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I had that promo tape too. I randomly got it in the mail one day despite not owning an N64

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm watching the donkey kong country one now and everyone looks and sounds like the bullies from hocus pocus.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 15, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think the guy on the right is the guy who has the story about pulling a guys pants down in the bathroom and getting frowned at by miyamoto.

e: no, it's not him, the pants guy is definitely one of the UK people

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 15, 2021

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That tape, the DK64 one, and the Banjo Kazooie one that was narrated by Jon Lovitz were very important to my childhood. Wanted that weird old Mario plush.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Tato posted:

The starfox64 promotion video from Nintendo Power got me so amped up my parents gave me the game a few days earlier than my birthday to shut me up. The video was right, the game rules.

I had a game magazine with a flipbook animation of an arwing firing a smart bomb printed in the corner of the pages and I spent hours flipping through it in awe of how amazing it looked

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

NienNunb posted:

That tape, the DK64 one, and the Banjo Kazooie one that was narrated by Jon Lovitz were very important to my childhood. Wanted that weird old Mario plush.

The BK one got me so loving pumped for that game. I hadn’t even heard of it before and soon I was making my parents play the soundtrack in the car on my way to summer camp every day.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
the n64 promo video had the weird concept of the world's top gamers/future imp zone mods being invited to NOA HQ to test out project reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGONmVV2gi8

everyone knows Gameface > Extended Play

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
crying from animal crossing news

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Animal crossing ftw

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I had that promo tape too. I randomly got it in the mail one day despite not owning an N64

this is how they got me with Pokemon. kind of devious

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

NienNunb posted:

Animal crossing ftw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

star fox 64 was ftw and i never got most of the gold medals because i sucked rear end :D i also completely love the Snes one, on which i've never beaten the hard route, due to sucking rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

crying from animal crossing news

NienNunb posted:

Animal crossing ftw