Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ooh speaking of which my hours are up and I'm officially an IBEW member. I got to go to a contract signing and vote and everything.

I think in terms of strength of position, unions have workers who are mad enough that they will actually give up a steady income and ignore the lack of safety net almost every worker has. Also it seems (anecdotally here) that the "fat cat" waste management stereotype of union leaders has taken a back seat as diversity increases. I'm extremely bullish on union ability over the next few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Pizzagate 100% was created to discredit the very real facts around Jeffrey Epstein and anyone who believes otherwise is the biggest rube in the world

I think it might originally have been an organic evolution of chan pedo brain reading a pizza menu as directions for child abuse, but once the ball really got rolling, yeah

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1280067845322240002?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Am I wrong here, or does labor (due to the pandemic labor shortage) generally have the best position they've had since like thr 70s?

Seems p drat good tbh

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

stop saying labor shortage. its a loving pay shortage. as evidenced by the strikes and people quitting.

You're right, I just don't see "labor shortage" as such a negatively-loaded term. What's turned out interesting is that in the current climate, the federal minimum wage and the big congressional fight (that amounted to nothing) turned out to be irrelevant. EVERYONE around here is offering $14-15/hour jobs in a $10 minimum wage state and they're having trouble finding takers because the work sucks.

I don't remember a similar situation in my lifetime, so it's a loving nice change.

From June: https://twitter.com/dannydeurbina/status/1408138657664491526

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The fact that a president actually said pay workers more still shocks me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Texas Tired: Did 6 million really die?

Texas Wired: Did anyone really die? Is the Holocaust just liberal propaganda? Tonight, on Tucker

https://twitter.com/ahylton26/status/1448729683332374531?t=TxJUnMptAyuncFDZryaolw&s=19

But you better believe they've got support israel stickers on their f350s

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

facialimpediment posted:

You're right, I just don't see "labor shortage" as such a negatively-loaded term. What's turned out interesting is that in the current climate, the federal minimum wage and the big congressional fight (that amounted to nothing) turned out to be irrelevant. EVERYONE around here is offering $14-15/hour jobs in a $10 minimum wage state and they're having trouble finding takers because the work sucks.

I don't remember a similar situation in my lifetime, so it's a loving nice change.

Ya. Even home depot is raising starting wages.

The pandemic has amplified the pay issue. Who the gently caress wants to risk their life for crap pay.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

Ya. Even home depot is raising starting wages.

The pandemic has amplified the pay issue. Who the gently caress wants to risk their life for crap pay.

On top of that, parents can only justify working (and paying a sitter/care center) for only so little before it doesn't make sense anymore. With COVID taking out so many members of so many families, a shitload of people have to simply stay home because there's nobody around for childcare, or it's unaffordable. The workforce statistics show a ton of women leaving the workforce, likely for those reasons in addition to safety.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If we paid people based on their value to society you’d still have a huge wealth gap, it would just be kind of inverted to what it is now.

The 1% would be nurses and grocery store workers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, don't worry, eventually they'll figure out some quasi-legal way to use Selective Service to FORCE every American to toil for a pittance in service of the Almighty Number. We've always been at war with East Lazyia.

Constitutionality? Feh!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

On top of that, parents can only justify working (and paying a sitter/care center) for only so little before it doesn't make sense anymore. With COVID taking out so many members of so many families, a shitload of people have to simply stay home because there's nobody around for childcare, or it's unaffordable. The workforce statistics show a ton of women leaving the workforce, likely for those reasons in addition to safety.

This one's a huge part of it. Lots and lots of people (primarily women, because that's how our society rolls) are saying "why the hell would I work for the privilege of paying a babysitter to not see my kids and be in the hole on costs?" The numbers just aren't there to support child care costs and a job across a large portion of the economy.

People are making the best available decision in a lovely situation because the pressures that lead to both parents working are still there, but they're getting squeezed on the other end by just not being able to cover the costs of childcare. The decades long trend of having to have both parents work to make ends meet has become a broken system with people being crushed in the middle.

Granted, many are also just choosing to not have kids as a result so that'll be fun times coming up as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

This one's a huge part of it. Lots and lots of people (primarily women, because that's how our society rolls) are saying "why the hell would I work for the privilege of paying a babysitter to not see my kids and be in the hole on costs?" The numbers just aren't there to support child care costs and a job across a large portion of the economy.

People are making the best available decision in a lovely situation because the pressures that lead to both parents working are still there, but they're getting squeezed on the other end by just not being able to cover the costs of childcare. The decades long trend of having to have both parents work to make ends meet has become a broken system with people being crushed in the middle.

Granted, many are also just choosing to not have kids as a result so that'll be fun times coming up as well.

It may be a bit of self-selection given that DC has a high cost of living, but the only people I know who can afford childcare (which even subsidized is still almost the cost of most people’s rent/mortgage) are either GS-15s making $fuckyou money, have a trust fund, have a parent nearby who can help watch the kids, or some combination thereof. I don’t understand how people can afford children even with both parents working.

My wife’s company even moved its offices from DC to VA to get out of paying paid maternal leave as DC law requires. Can’t cut into those profits!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soul Dentist posted:

Ooh speaking of which my hours are up and I'm officially an IBEW member. I got to go to a contract signing and vote and everything.

I think in terms of strength of position, unions have workers who are mad enough that they will actually give up a steady income and ignore the lack of safety net almost every worker has. Also it seems (anecdotally here) that the "fat cat" waste management stereotype of union leaders has taken a back seat as diversity increases. I'm extremely bullish on union ability over the next few years

How much do they gouge you for entrance fee and dues, if I may ask?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Am I wrong here, or does labor (due to the pandemic labor shortage) generally have the best position they've had since like thr 70s?

Definitely, although that's not saying as much given how kneecapped labor's been over the last 50 years.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Aaaaaaand NZ has pretty much officially admitted defeat:

quote:

Today's press release confirmed there are now so many unlinked Covid-19 cases that health officials won't be using subclusters to categorise them anymore.

"Given the number of unlinked cases each day, subclusters are not currently being used in the active management of the outbreak in Auckland. Epidemiological links are being explored during case interviews and whole genome sequencing is being undertaken on all cases, but the focus is on isolating cases and identifying, testing and isolating close contacts," the statement from the Ministry of Health said. 

ALL ABOARD THE PLAGUE ISLANDS

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Am I wrong here, or does labor (due to the pandemic labor shortage) generally have the best position they've had since like the 70s?

no, because they're isolated and disorganized and don't know what their position is. what they have is an enormous opportunity to create the best position since forever, but they will have to rebuild Labor from (almost) the ground up, because I'm not seeing any Jimmy Hoffa 2020 equivelents repping labor on the national stage.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1448784768259313667?s=21

Dude loves talking about the pee tape without any prompting.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bill Clinton in the hospital.

quote:

Bill Clinton has been hospitalized in Irvine, California with sepsis, CNN reports.

According to a spokesperson, he was admitted to UC Irvine hospital’s intensive care unit with a non-COVID-19 related infection Tuesday.

He had reportedly felt ill throughout the day. The spokesperson described the former president as responding well to antibiotics, “on the mend,” and in good spirits.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Bill Clinton in the hospital.

VD finally get him?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

I would like to think so. I just fought to get, and got, my backup a well deserved raise from $84k to $125k, so uh, it seems like there is some power to be had.

Also lol at how much they were willing to give, gently caress the man.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

gonna demand the democratic party mandate the only election ad any candidate is allowed to run is this clip, with their name and approval of this message at the end.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

VD finally get him?

He had just tweeted that he had vital information that would shortly lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

davecrazy posted:

That's the one his wife thinks is fake? :laffo:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Godholio posted:

She knows he's a scat man :butt:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

I would not be surprised if he made his own and insisted she watch them.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

BTW hope no one was expecting any SCOTUS reform

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1448762944075018251

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1448785007036731401

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fifth circuit put a stay pending appeal (without opinion) on the district court judge's finding that SB8 is unconstitutional. They're likely going to rule in Texas' favor saying that the united states has no standing to sue because the people sued cannot enforce the law. The SCOTUS is going let that stand. Meanwhile, we can't politicize the courts because that would undermine their legitimacy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I would love to hear duly nominated and appointed Supreme Court justice Merrick Garland's opinion on the legitimacy of the court.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Very strong

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Vibes off of that one. Gonna be real fun talking about legitimacy of the court when in 2025 McConnell rams through the remaining appointments and we get a 9-0 court.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Twelve bucks a week no entrance fees and they've already fought for me and won me more than 2k in unpaid wages. Can't think of a way it wouldn't be worth it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

She knows he's a scat man :butt:

https://youtu.be/Hy8kmNEo1i8

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cute. This would be far more compelling if Biden hadn’t happily signed this letter once again kneecapping FEPCA to ensure that Federal civilian employee compensation remains entirely uncompetitive with the private sector.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Very strong

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Vibes off of that one. Gonna be real fun talking about legitimacy of the court when in 2025 McConnell rams through the remaining appointments and we get a 9-0 court.

They don’t give a poo poo. A hyperconservative SCOTUS is perfect for panicked fundraising emails to gullible idiots who think their donations have a chance to change literally anything other than enriching the consultant class.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the centrists got what they wanted

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the centrists got what they wanted

Except Biden pulling out of Afghanistan. They were very mad about that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

Except Biden pulling out of Afghanistan. They were very mad about that.

"Couldn't you have waited just long enough for me to enjoy another Evil Christmas and Bacchanalian New Year paid for with MIC blood money?" :mad:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

davecrazy posted:

Good thing this pedophile and his network of pedophiles have nominated two supreme court justices too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This sounds suspiciously like Scab talk to me :colbert:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Soul Dentist posted:

I just got my third Pfizer on Monday. It wiped me out (like the second one). I just felt sore and exhausted. My wife had a really swollen lymph node on the injection underarm as well. It may have been heavy drinking that exacerbated it though. The day after is the worst!

3rd Pfizer hosed me up for ~48 hours.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

VD finally get him?

Very displeased with Clive Owen's portrayal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

bird food bathtub posted:

Are there any states in the US that have kids daycare centrally organized? I was looking at the numbers of the Finnish system where you pay at most 290€/child/month for daycare, and that is if there are two parents who make a total of at least 6600€/month pre-taxes. With less income you pay less, with people with very low income paying nothing.