Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Titmouse T-shirt this week is fantastic. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh Tendi is the most competent of the main four, it's just that they wrote her into a hole where she doesn't get to do anything (probably why they wrote her out of that hole this episode. Then it's Rutherford. Then it's a bit of a toss up depending on the writer of the episode but obviously if you had to pick between Boimler and Mariner to have as a teammate you would pick Boimler and Season 2 made a well judged adjustment so that Mariner isn't the main character anymore and the stories have been less concerned with trying to make her look good.

e: also Rutherford isn't carefree, his whole character is that he acts carefree as a cover for deep insecurity.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 14, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress it, bought this one and the Three Ships shirt.

And I’d say the main four are all more or less equally competent, it’s only their confidence and ambition that sets each of them apart.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 14, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In an already fantastic episode, the scene where the second beluga asks Rutherford to get in the water and the first one snaps at him about how they already asked, was honestly a highlight.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
impressive commitment to realism wrt cetacean sexuality

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Season 2 had a whole subtle thing where they repeatedly demonstrated that Boimler is actually ridiculously competent and getting even better, it's just hard to see under the personality.

I reckon the end of the show they're going to get promoted off Cerritos and then there's going to be a flashforward with Boims getting his first command and it'll be Cerritos, with Mariner and Tendi and Rutherford becoming XO, science officer and chief engineer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 14, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

It's been a whole season, it's arms got tired :(

There was a whole dang refit at the end of season 1. They lost a nacelle and everything.

Kesper North posted:

impressive commitment to realism wrt cetacean sexuality

I had the exact same thought myself.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 14, 2021

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Lower Decks is so good. Tons of details and layers going on. I can't wait for season three. It's so nice to have a Trek with character development.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't help but point out that Mariner pulled the EXACT SAME bullshit on her mother that she did on Boimler in Pleasant Fountains. This isn't so much a complaint (that's just consistent characterization) but a hope that she gets her comeuppance and grows out of that need to hold others back.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I just want to say that the whole scene where the ship is flying through the debris field and Mariner gets sucked out only to have the Andorian girl save her was so radical. Like just ejecting the front of the ship and flying “open cockpit” was so insanely cool. This show rocks.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ashpanash posted:

:nws::nms:

For posterity.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I haven’t been this emotionally invested in Trek characters since the end of DS9.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
How come the comedy cartoon show is doing better Trek than anything else?

Is it because they aren't trying too hard?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think it’s a DS9 situation where McMahan is generally being left alone while Kurtzman and co are focused on running the tentpole shows into the ground.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

I think it’s a DS9 situation where McMahan is generally being left alone while Kurtzman and co are focused on running the tentpole shows into the ground.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it's just that Mike McMahan reveres and gets Trek.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t call Rutherford serious at all.

He's serious about running diagnostics!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Kurtzman is an EP on Lower Decks and every other modern Trek show.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most of the time, the executive producers are just there to handle the finances and/or budget, especially if there's multiple EPs on a show

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reminded of this post.

Brawnfire posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Lower Decks, actually; the dogged insistence on sticking that uniform and pin on whatever body analogue any given alien, cyborg, robot, blob, or mist may have.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Berman was an Executive Producer of DS9 too. It doesn't mean that he was all that involved in the day to day work. First Piller and then Behr were the showrunners, and had a lot more to do with DS9 than Berman. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were true with Kurtzman and McMahan on Lower Decks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think that Lower Decks understands that Trek is as silly as it is serious, and cranks the silly up, but also manages to tell good Trek stories.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Well that was a good 2 seasons of star trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Epicurius posted:

Berman was an Executive Producer of DS9 too. It doesn't mean that he was all that involved in the day to day work. First Piller and then Behr were the showrunners, and had a lot more to do with DS9 than Berman. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were true with Kurtzman and McMahan on Lower Decks.

I just think it’s silly that this thread continually goes out of its way to construct conspiracy theories about why they like this particular Kurtzman-era Trek show and not the others. It’s like the Star Wars fans who heap praise upon The Mandalorian and insist it was made in some secret bunker far away from the prying eyes of Kathleen Kennedy.

The actual explanation is probably closer to this;

MikeJF posted:

I think it's just that Mike McMahan reveres and gets Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kinda surprised that they never brought up the idea of Archimedes self-destructing before letting herself impact. Systems were down but you can always phaser an antimatter pod, and it's what they'd do rather than destroy a planet. But 25 minutes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

another post-season interview: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-trek-lower-decks-season-2-finale-mike-mcmahan

quote:

Deep Space Nine has a lot of characters like that too, if you ever wanted to throw some of them in there I wouldn't mind.

Interesting. I guess I should watch Deep Space Nine — I'm just kidding. It's interesting, Deep Space Nine is really, really important to the show. It's almost like how you can't look at the sun directly at the sun, because there's been little things, little character pieces of info that we've been getting about some of our leads because of Deep Space Nine. I loved Deep Space Nine. I think in Season 3, you shouldn't be too surprised if there's a little bit more DS9 action happening, or at least people referring to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

Kinda surprised that they never brought up the idea of Archimedes self-destructing before letting herself impact. Systems were down but you can always phaser an antimatter pod, and it's what they'd do rather than destroy a planet. But 25 minutes.

Its possible that phasers weren't working either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah they got mega emp'd

Shoulda used their corbomite bomb

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the shows have always been very hand-wavy about energy scale, but it may also have been too late to self-destruct; e.g. the yield would be so high it would still cause essentially the same effect as a surface detonation or decaying orbit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, but the antimatter pods clearly were, I'm sure there's some way to rip the wires out with a crowbar.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Bloop posted:

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah they got mega emp'd

But then, of course, antimatter containment should have failed and they'd have blown up long before that.

Best not to think about it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1443727920858480646

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

But then, of course, antimatter containment should have failed and they'd have blown up long before that.

Gravity and antimatter are the two systems that never fail.

It makes sense that the pods are basically ridiculously redundant and maybe even have standing containment fields in their structure that still work even without power.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Explains why they kept putting that high-sensitivity mic near his taint

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was a really good finale. I have some thoughts both positive and negative though:

Positive:

- They set up so much cool stuff to pay off. I hope they drag out Rutherford’s weirdo mystery for so loving long. I want the long game on this one.
- I *LOVED* everyone’s group dynamic in this episode, and honestly every episode since the Starfleet party where they all ended up in that Kirk bar.
- SONYA GOMEZ!!! I loving missed connecting the name to the character when I watched today, which is so embarrassing because I literally watched her TNG episode like two weeks ago. It gave her “Don’t worry about it I’ve done worse bla bla” line so much more meaning once I realized who it was!

Negative:

- The cliffhanger came out of nowhere and just felt kind of weird. I get that they wanted to do a cool setup but I think this one was a miss in terms of flow of the episode. It felt like a record scratch rather than a genuine cliffhanger. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have done it, and it’ll at least give us a going in story for S3 but I don’t *love* it.
- Has Tendi actually been portrayed as being super gifted? If so I think I just kind of missed it because she’s been a super background character. Her reassignment also felt like it came out of left field, but mainly because I was left thinking like.. “ok, I guess??” Not complaining about seeing her on the bridge or away missions though, just felt odd.

I want to show this to a friend but they’re only casually acquainted with Star Trek. I’m a little worried that a non-insignificant portion of the humour is still a little too predicated on knowing what they’re making fun of — I find that my biggest laughs still happen when they send off some Trek trope, but I might try it as an experiment.

I’d love to read any reviews of LD from the perspective of someone for whom this is their first Trek, or the first Trek they’re actually consuming in earnest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IIIIIIT'S NAKED TIME!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

It makes sense that the pods are basically ridiculously redundant and maybe even have standing containment fields in their structure that still work even without power.

I'm not 100% I understand the physics, but I believe if antimatter pods are room-temperature superconducting magnets, the magnetic field would be persistent with close to zero need for energy input. The magnetic field could stay active for many years without power.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I love this show. I just wish we weren't going to have to wait another 9 months or so for the new episodes. Also wonder if the Rutherford stuff will tie into Freeman's arrest somehow. Possibly S31 messed with him and for once the people in charge actually remember they are supposed to be bad guys.

Lower Decks also does a fantastic job of showing off the ships. They had some great extended shots of the Archimedes leaving space dock. Billups exploding in a rant at the captain got a good laugh at me. And then on the smaller scale, loved some of the smaller call backs from earlier episodes (Boimler seeing the koala bear when he almost died). And super small scale, I for some reason got a kick out of Jennifer's space suit having small extrusions for her antenna.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not 100% I understand the physics, but I believe if antimatter pods are room-temperature superconducting magnets, the magnetic field would be persistent with close to zero need for energy input. The magnetic field could stay active for many years without power.

If it was pinning via the Meisner effect it would be doing work, which would make the superconductors begin to heat up and eventually lose their superconductivity without an active cooling system. Of course, that's only in the case where there's gravity - in freefall there's no force to counteract so no work needs to be done to maintain a pinning effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't get the koala joke!