Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really want to find the fucker who engineered "paper is wasteful!" and assault him like the Achewood cats went after the Comic Sans guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

Iqaluit, a city of 8,000 in Northern Canada, has had its water supply contaminated with fuel. There's some speculation that the melting permafrost is shifting and breaking buried pipes, allowing contamination to infiltrate. Still the question of where the fuel came from but that far north there's very few ways to deal with fuel spills: a shovel, lighting it on fire, ignoring it, or some combination of the three.

ok so first it's all natives there, so "people" is pushing it. also natives mostly drink liquor, so it doesn't much matter what the water is like. and when they're not drinking they're mostly huffing gas fumes so that's probably where the gas is coming from. more importantly we should figure out if it's hurting the economy or canada's image abroad

look, what i'm saying is, we started this "truth and reconciliation" holiday thing this year precisely so i don't have to give a poo poo about these sorts of things when they pop up in the news anymore so please shut the gently caress up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really want to find the fucker who engineered "paper is wasteful!" and assault him like the Achewood cats went after the Comic Sans guy

help save the environment by not printing out this email. go green and enroll in paperless billing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

my favorite part of covid was when every grocery store simultaneously banned reusable bags for no discernable reason at all.

but fomites!!!!!!! we have to sanitize every surface or you'll get it, even wearing masks puts you more at risk because you'll touch your face more

that early period was absolutely idiotic

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shipon posted:

but fomites!!!!!!! we have to sanitize every surface or you'll get it, even wearing masks puts you more at risk because you'll touch your face more

Nothing about this has changed op

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they're still out there disinfecting grocery carts. "wash your hands" is always included in every statement about staying safe with covid. airlines are still happily reassuring customers that "high touch areas" like the bathrooms are now cleaned after every flight, a thing that apparently they didn't do before covid. the cdc still says you shouldn't wear an n95. you can't catch covid while you're eating

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

probably useful idiots like the greenpeace types who are just easily puppeted by big petrochem; much like idpol is weaponized by dc liberals you use something feelgoody soundsgoody like oh no we gotta save the trees and whamo, tax credits for rich people.

but plastic is far cheaper for storing containers of salsa, guacs, milk, bag of cheeze nips, and keeps it fresher. can't really have our grotesque atomized americana consumption culture without plastic

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Oct 15, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shipon posted:

ah yes the early period of the pandemic, a particular period of idiocy. much like the early period of the Great War (July to December 1914)

hopefully people will stop being machinegunned the moment they pop their head into a public space any day now

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

Permian. Speedrun. Permian. Speedrun. PERMIAN SPEEDRUN BABY WE'RE LOCKED IN LET'S DO THIS THING!

quote:

Of particular concern from a climate change perspective is the level of carbonic acid in the oceans, which is the result of atmospheric carbon dioxide being dissolved into the oceans. In the 1940’s pH was 8.2, but in 2020, pH had dropped to it 8.04, meaning the ocean is becoming more acidic. If there are no plants to use the ‘carbon’ for photosynthesis, this leaves unused carbonic acid to move the pH downwards. Reports from respected institutes around the globe, flag an acceleration of the ocean acidification process, which will result in the loss of more marine plants and animals, especially those that have carbonate shells and body structures (aragonite) based. These same reports forecast that in 25 years, pH will drop to 7.95 (2045) and with this, they estimate 80% to 90% of all remaining marine life will be lost – that in the GOES team’s opionion is a tipping point; a planetary boundary which must not be exceeded if humanity is to survive.

Let’s be clear: If by some miracle the world achieves Net Zero by 2045, evidence from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) BioAcid report [1] report demonstrates that this reduction will not be enough to stop a drop in ocean to pH 7.95. If the level of marine life (both plants and animal) is reduced, then the oceans’ ability to lockout carbon into the abyss is depleted.
It is clear to the GOES team that if we only pursue carbon mitigation strategies and don’t do more to regenerate plant and animal life in oceans, we will reach a tipping point, a planetary boundary from which there will be no return, because all life on Earth depends upon the largest ecosystem on the planet. Humanity will suffer terribly from global warming, but it must be understood that the oceans are already showing signs of instability today at pH8.04, but pH 7.95 represents the tipping point.

:rubby:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it means now we lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
counterpoint: no it wont

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
acid oceans and only the distant memories of whales and fish: fine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Love that we're doing the hl2 future to ourselves and with none of the cool mutants or aliens.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
uh the combine had our best interests at heart; they were trying to stamp out superstition like blind optimism and religion, and understood that malthusianism was correct, thus the reproduction inhibition fields

it's not their fault our dipshit scientists breached a random dimension and brought headcrabs and barnacles to earth, thus making most of the planet a hostile hellhole

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
stupid black mesa scientists suck rear end, OUR scientists didn't need headcrabs and barnacles to make the planet a hostile hellscape, just jobs with the oil companies

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

uh the combine had our best interests at heart; they were trying to stamp out superstition like blind optimism and religion, and understood that malthusianism was correct, thus the reproduction inhibition fields

it's not their fault our dipshit scientists breached a random dimension and brought headcrabs and barnacles to earth, thus making most of the planet a hostile hellhole

hla even shows the combine trying to clean them up! they are trying to fix our mess for us

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

haha holy gently caress

edit: this is so bad it's almost unbelievable. someone debunk this please. that linear red line looks dubious to me, for example.

anyway if it's true hope i live to see it and then immediately check out because YIKES

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Oct 15, 2021

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

so close! nearly there!!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this 200 year project, the 1500 gigaton guillotine, is more incredible than even my wildest expectations

it was only supposed to kill mankind, but it shall execute all life on the planet

it is our magnum opus

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The yellow line is the bacteria that causes the toxicity and its presence in the ocean

Basically plankton eating whales and whatnot are holding in check a type of toxin producing bacteria that would make the atmosphere unbreathable if it took over the oceans due to its predators dying off from ocean acidity

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Oct 15, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Born too late to eat dodo birds, born too early to choke on dinoflagellate toxins

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/3Y87LWA.mp4

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/diversified-energy-natural-gas-wells-methane-leaks-2021/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

haha holy gently caress

edit: this is so bad it's almost unbelievable. someone debunk this please. that linear red line looks dubious to me, for example.

anyway if it's true hope i live to see it and then immediately check out because YIKES

i mean, the basic chemistry looks right. ocean is alkaline right now and was in equilibrium with atmospheric co2. as more atmospheric co2 increases, carbonic acid forms. along with also biochemistry of various lifeforms that would absorb it dying off due to pollution and acidity increasing faster than it adapts or likes.

ph is also a log scale

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

haha holy gently caress

it looks dubious because it's straight, the reality is it's going to be an big lol of an exponential curve down eventually instead of a smooth straight line when this happens ahead of predictions

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frankly the most amazing thing on that graph is the assertion that all marine life and fish will be dead before 2050. Our oceans will be barren, acidic graveyards. That's just an incredible premise. The potential for content is literally unbelievable, I'm not jokerfied enough to truly envision it. Can we drink acid water?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ocean dies, belches up 200 years of excess carbon it's been sucking down

oops! +10 degrees in a decade!

it is doing my head in that the world might literally end right around when i will likely be at the end of my life

am i actually the protagonist of reality? seems likely. wow. did i dream the unive rse omg

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can't wait to be an old gently caress in the climate apocalypse, brains melted to goo by repeated covid infections

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
I CRACK ANEW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

wherrrrrrrrrre is my pinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i am free

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dont mind me just practicing for the acid water by chugging vinegar while attempting to draw a fish from memory

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

and all the haters and losers said we couldn't venusify earth.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Lmao and we were worried about the clathrate ray gun

Lmfao

What a time to be alive and postin' with my digital buddies

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

a mod falls through the earth and into the acidified ocean. taking a chemlight from his belt he spies row upon row of dolphin/whale/everything skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my n***** have u tried nuclear power"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if you are reading this post, you are now obligated to take some time today to pet a dog and/or hug you're family sorry!

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Frankly the most amazing thing on that graph is the assertion that all marine life and fish will be dead before 2050. Our oceans will be barren, acidic graveyards. That's just an incredible premise. The potential for content is literally unbelievable, I'm not jokerfied enough to truly envision it. Can we drink acid water?
It would be more like red tides everywhere, all the time. Not barren at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Dr. Furious posted:

It would be more like red tides everywhere, all the time. Not barren at all!

The category 5 hurricane storm surge that inundates all our coastal areas multiple times a year is going to be extra spicy when instead of the normal toxic poo poo sludge left behind by a storm surge it's literally just a poison makes the affected area a superfund site.

But yeah overall not jokerfied enough to really grasp the implications of this.