Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My lovely BiL has been out of the hospital for a while. Covid absolutely wrecked his poo poo, he has days he can't stand for very long, gets out of breath doing very basic things, and needs a CPAP machine now (but he refuses to use it).

In addition, because he took no precautions at all and the majority of my wife's family is unvaccinated, he most likely spread it to:

My father-in-law
FiL's wife
FiL's brother and his wife

FiL refuses to get a covid test but says he feels the sickest he's ever felt in his life. FiL's wife tested positive when she got a random test at work, then really quickly developed pretty severe symptoms and feels like absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got my booster today. Feeling pretty good about that. Just gotta wait a few weeks for these antibodies to kick in and I'll be feeling a lot better about being out than I had been.

e: I will let you all know soon if my balls get huge

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Just got a note from the preschool (after multiple outbreaks) that they're requiring 3 years old and up to wear masks while indoors.
ours has cutouts for eating (3x/day), sleeping, and playing outside, so I'm sure it's a Very Effective Precaution

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

legooolas posted:

Fortunately toddlers are well known for being generally helpful and compliant.

Kids are very susceptible to peer pressure. My friend's kid's preschool class had no problem with masking all the time but they were mostly 4.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/American-Pandemic-Preparedness-Transforming-Our-Capabilities-Final-For-Web.pdf

I thought this was a good read. Very ambitious plan for how to prepare for the next pandemic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Got my booster today. Feeling pretty good about that. Just gotta wait a few weeks for these antibodies to kick in and I'll be feeling a lot better about being out than I had been.

e: I will let you all know soon if my balls get huge

Did you schedule an appointment or just walk in?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i hope 'denial' works!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Got my booster scheduled for next Monday.

Hurray for being a fat piece of poo poo I guess?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Great news Marge! I'm purposely gaining 61 pounds so I can get on disability a vaccine booster!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lol, the plan is vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics, plus monitoring and “communication”. Not a single mention of addressing the ability to implement nation-wide non-pharmaceutical interventions.

So basically, we’ll continue to be hosed by every transmissible epidemic.

E: Even the Obama administrations’ pandemic playbook acknowledged the potential need for large-scale mandated NPIs, even if we promptly ignored it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Stickman posted:

Lol, the plan is vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics, plus monitoring and “communication”. Not a single mention of addressing the ability to implement nation-wide non-pharmaceutical interventions.

So basically, we’ll continue to be hosed by every transmissible epidemic.

E: Even the Obama administrations’ pandemic playbook acknowledged the potential need for large-scale mandated NPIs, even if we promptly ignored it.

You don't understand. Implementation of wide scale mandated NPIs, while undeniably effective, wouldn't capture the imagination and inspire the American people like the Apollo mission did and would also not have a pricetag of billions of dollars.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Early side effects from this booster....I feel sluggish as hell and like I'm high or on ambien or something. I'm pretty dumb normally but this feels above that.

e: balls not big yet

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Early side effects from this booster....I feel sluggish as hell and like I'm high or on ambien or something. I'm pretty dumb normally but this feels above that.

e: balls not big yet

Are you getting legit 5G Ultra Capacity now or still getting 5G Extended Range?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

Are you getting legit 5G Ultra Capacity now or still getting 5G Extended Range?

My 5g feed is starting to feel a little crisper but it's not quite all the way to ultra capacity yet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia setting a new national record!! Not in a good way though

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1448408236365737985

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/victorian-coronavirus-covid-19-data

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Here's the especially scary bit.

quote:

Within these new cases, there were 1,245 newly impacted households, so we will see these cases continue to generate further cases amongst their contacts in the days to come.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f0820cb74c3e552

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"Melbourne Australia made headlines today, but not the good kind, like you want."

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Got an email from my capitalist overlords to be fully vaccinated or to have an accommodation in place by Dec 8, 2021.

"Compliance with the vaccination policy is a condition of continued employment."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Here's the especially scary bit.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Got an email from my capitalist overlords to be fully vaccinated or to have an accommodation in place by Dec 8, 2021.

"Compliance with the vaccination policy is a condition of continued employment."

This is a good thing

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Between the flu shot and the Covid booster I am not transmitting 5g as a hot spot. Thanks science!!

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

If you're not watching the on-going Vaccine Advisory board, there's an upcoming meeting on October 26th. This will be the one discussing EUA of Pfizer's vaccination for the 5 - 11 year old age group. If any of you wanted to get you public comments in or even have a chance at presenting something at the next meeting.

Here's the full page for the meeting announcement: https://www.fda.gov/advisory-commit...ng-announcement

Again there will be a section for Oral Presentations:

Those individuals interested in making formal oral presentations should notify CBERVRBPAC@fda.hhs.gov and submit a brief statement of the general nature of the evidence or arguments they wish to present, the names and addresses of proposed participants, and an indication of the approximate time requested to make their presentation on or before October 19, 2021.

For any goons who want to send in written comments and not necessarily present there's more information in the full meeting announcement page, you'll want to get those in before the 21st but the FDA will read everything submitted through the 25th. For those who want to write without necessarily posting any personal information since these are publicly available, I highly suggest following the instructions under the Written/Paper section and follow the confidential information part.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

America's Dr., Sanjay Gupta had the good sense to go on Joe Rogan and it went swimmingly

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1448478540685463552

Lots of "Joe Rogan DESTROYS CNN DOCTOR" takes and clips floating around today, etc.

gently caress Joe Rogan, man

edit: But also, lol at Dr. Gupta thinking it was a good idea to go on that podcast, Rogan might have dumbass beliefs, but his job has been to talk for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, for the past 20 years, he kinda ran circles around the good doctor

edit 2: I am also unsurprised US Comedy Royalty Rob Schneider is antivaxx
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1448544477895823361?s=20

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
funniest thing rob schneider did was get called out for being an unfunny piece of poo poo on southpark decades ago

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man this booster floored me last night. Chills and then really hot and then bad headaches. Wasn't a good time. Hit me harder than either of the first two shots did.

I feel a lot better today though.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

fartman posted:

funniest thing rob schneider did was get called out for being an unfunny piece of poo poo on southpark decades ago

I liked when people criticized the Deuce Bigelow movie and Rob said they couldn't criticize because they didn't have a pulitzer. So Roger Ebert pipes up, says he has one, and then shits on the movie.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I've had both doses and next week will mark two weeks since my second, but I feel like I'm going to be wary going inside to eat at a restaurant for a very, very long time. Anyone else feeling the same way?

I'm double-vaxxed and living in a region with less than 2 new cases per 100k per day and a 78% vaxx rate and still not doing indoor dining, gym, movies, etc. I am doing patio seating with other vaxxed folks again now that cases are down.

Then again, I'm seriously considering asking my triple-vaxxed but at-risk parents to build a bubble-boy setup in their family room for when I fly to visit them at Christmas, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

purplestuffedworm posted:

I'm double-vaxxed and living in a region with less than 2 new cases per 100k per day and a 78% vaxx rate and still not doing indoor dining, gym, movies, etc. I am doing patio seating with other vaxxed folks again now that cases are down.

Then again, I'm seriously considering asking my triple-vaxxed but at-risk parents to build a bubble-boy setup in their family room for when I fly to visit them at Christmas, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Oh man where is this region that's incredible numbers

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

poll plane variant posted:

We're pretty close to this in Toronto right now, less than 70 new cases a day in a city of 2.8m and we have had indoor dining/gyms/movies/schools for 4-6 weeks with cases declining almost the whole time.

Most of the new cases ( 3/4 or so ) are in unvaccinated people.

It's pretty great, once we get the under-12s vaxxed it's going to be full on opener up time.

e: I just checked and we're 82.1% double vaxxed in Toronto for people over 12.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hm. My country relaxed (almost) all restrictions on the 29th of September, and to my surprise, nothing much seems to have happened as a result.
I must say I was expecting at least a minor spike as nightclubs resumed, indoor dining went back to normal (albeit slightly less densely packed) and railways and theaters went back to packing every seat.

I'm the only idiot with a mask in the supermarket or on the bus.

Sitting pretty at 60 cases per million.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~SWE

They made one further relaxation today, that fully vaccinated individuals are no longer recommended to take a covid test at any cold-like symptoms. We should still stay home an isolate until symptoms pass but there is no quarantine recommendation past that. Of course, unvaxed peons should continue to test on presentation of symptoms.

I'm guessing what's going on is, the vaccines work? Or should I expect it to explode after more delay than 2 weeks?
We're only at 79,4% double-dosed (over-16s) and I was expecting that more would be needed to have some semblance of control without meaningful NPIs.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

poll plane variant posted:

:spain:

The 78% is out of total, including under-12s. Probably could have been higher, too, if there'd been enough vaccines to start on the most skeptical/apathetic groups (30-39 and 20-29) before the traditional August holidays.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another Bill posted:

We're pretty close to this in Toronto right now, less than 70 new cases a day in a city of 2.8m and we have had indoor dining/gyms/movies/schools for 4-6 weeks with cases declining almost the whole time.

Most of the new cases ( 3/4 or so ) are in unvaccinated people.

It's pretty great, once we get the under-12s vaxxed it's going to be full on opener up time.

e: I just checked and we're 82.1% double vaxxed in Toronto for people over 12.

And given the first dose numbers we're on track for at least 85% two doses eligible, if not somewhere between 85% and 90%.

That's not to say it's been perfect. Opening schools hasn't seemed to have contributed to a spike in the rest of the population but something like 30% of cases are in schools (despite school aged children being like 17% of the population). But Pfizer submitted to Health Canada not long after the FDA so we should have most of them vaxxed by the start of the winter semester.

Either way yeah if you look outside the US there's definitely places that show that a high enough vaccination rate and like, minor to moderate NPIs seem to be enough to get things under control. Like other than the masks life basically feels like normal to be honest. We've got masking inside and capacity limits but indoor dining and bars are open, you can go to the movies, gyms, etc... Like really the only thing I can think of that I can't really do right now is have a party with more than 25 people indoors but it's not like I'm even comfortable with 25 to begin with yet so...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Quebec is 90% eligible single dose, 85% fully vaxxed, I’m double vaxxed, and yet I caught a breakthrough covid infection. gently caress.

First day was sneezing and sore throat, day 2 was less sore throat, more congestion, day 3 has been no sore throat, very little congestion, but coughing and tired.

Neither vaccine dose did much but make me a bit tired so I guess I didn’t have a strong enough immune response.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Got my Pfizer booster tonight, kind of on a whim since I have tomorrow off.

The 5G never kicked in very strong.

naem
May 29, 2011

wondering about dose three myself, would be nice if there were better like info etc

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

"Melbourne Australia made headlines today, but not the good kind, like you want."

I'm not going to let a Frisky Dingo reference slip through my fingers.

I'm in Oregon and the mask mandate compliance is good in the Portland area but it's slipping a little at my workplace. The cubicle in front of me and one next to me are now vacant so there's that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The mexican Covid czar says wearing a face mask is "selfish" because... gently caress, I don't know? I'm not fully parsing this - because it allows people who wear masks to chastise those who don't or something ?

then they clap for him and give him flowers lol

https://twitter.com/goliveros/status/1448497899193651200?s=20

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ccs posted:

Quebec is 90% eligible single dose, 85% fully vaxxed, I’m double vaxxed, and yet I caught a breakthrough covid infection. gently caress.

First day was sneezing and sore throat, day 2 was less sore throat, more congestion, day 3 has been no sore throat, very little congestion, but coughing and tired.

Neither vaccine dose did much but make me a bit tired so I guess I didn’t have a strong enough immune response.
Some symptoms abating by day 3 sounds like a pretty good response to me

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

naem posted:

wondering about dose three myself, would be nice if there were better like info etc
Well it won't make me less immune, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Desperately hoping the vaccines start to lower the infection rate soon.