Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Nice. Does the stage have any depth?

That’s probably the only moderate disappointment. I was hoping for a big holographic 3D sound stage with the planar driver, it represents some sense of depth, but isn’t exceptional in that regard. It does have good height though, but most importantly it has a good sense of imaging, like live sets properly sound like a band on stage with different positional cues. For a $200ish set I think it definitely holds its own in terms of sound stage and imaging on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

Nice. Does the stage have any depth?

your mom’s got a stage with depth

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thats not useful broseph

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

That’s probably the only moderate disappointment. I was hoping for a big holographic 3D sound stage with the planar driver, it represents some sense of depth, but isn’t exceptional in that regard. It does have good height though, but most importantly it has a good sense of imaging, like live sets properly sound like a band on stage with different positional cues. For a $200ish set I think it definitely holds its own in terms of sound stage and imaging on the whole.

Thanks for that. Much appricated.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok, had the day off work and the weather was poo poo so I've been listening to the Timeless all day today. The sound stage is notably better with wide bore tips, even more so if those tips are foam instead of silicone. This is the only set I have where the super wide bore Comply T600 tips don't fall off the stem when taking them out of my ears, and it's a really good pairing.

New toy syndrome and all, but I think these are the best IEMs I own. If they make a "pro" version of these with like a fully 3D sound stage they'll be world beaters.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got a Razer Kraken X. It claims to have hidden eyewear channels. What are those? The fit is a little on the snug and my ears hurt from my temple tips getting squished.

That said how do you fit a headset? Should you fit it so your earlobes are inside the earcups? I found that I could pull out the band but it gets sort of loose at that setting and I don't have a good seal.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

I got a Razer Kraken X. It claims to have hidden eyewear channels. What are those? The fit is a little on the snug and my ears hurt from my temple tips getting squished.

That said how do you fit a headset? Should you fit it so your earlobes are inside the earcups? I found that I could pull out the band but it gets sort of loose at that setting and I don't have a good seal.

It says "over-the-ear headphones" so yeah, you should be able to fit the whole ear inside the cup. Otherwise just do what works for you in order to get comfy and get a good seal. But by the sounds of it it's a bit small for you, maybe someone can recommend a 3rd party cushion that are bigger or switch headsets all together.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This is probably asked a lot (or maybe not) but is there a go-to third party tip for the airpod pros? My right ear is not happy with any of the sizes - small is too small and doesn't block out sound, medium only works if I hold it in and it'll eventually pop out, and large is too large. :(

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

This is probably asked a lot (or maybe not) but is there a go-to third party tip for the airpod pros? My right ear is not happy with any of the sizes - small is too small and doesn't block out sound, medium only works if I hold it in and it'll eventually pop out, and large is too large. :(

I know that both Spinfit and AZLA make Airpod Pro specific tips now, and both of those brands of tips are generally quite good. Might be worth a look.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A while ago I ordered a Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X after the release announcement marketing blitz and I think I can offer some impressions.

The marketing blurb seems pretty accurate on them. In brief - excellent build quality, deeper (comfier) pads than the old series. 2x detachable cables included. Costs more than the models it replaces and not a gigantic leap forwards but a definite improvement. Think it was worth the money.

Sound? Like a fixed 990 pro. Less extreme treble & bass. Not to imply it's lacking in either, it's still bright and bass slams hard. No sibilance.

Overall - if you have an older 770/880/990 pro and you're happy with what you have then don't rush to upgrade until the old one breaks (in 10 years?). These are an upgrade though. I read an opinion that placed them between the 880 and the 1990 if that means anything. I own an 880 pro but not a 1990 so doesn't mean much to me.

I recommend you run any Beyer pro headphone out of an amplifier that uses wall power. Nothing crazy needed but I don't think a mobile device is going to drive these properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
so who’s excited to drive some unspecified “high-impedance” cans with the new MacBook Pros?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This is gonna be pretty specific but google gave me ads and not really any answers:

I want to buy some wireless BT headphones for my dad to use with the TV for Christmas.
He has recently developed a hearing loss in one ear, so I would also like them to have some sort of balance feature to them.
He also has intense pain from things going into his ear but the outside is good, so the bigger the pads the better.

quote:

Budget - preferably not over $300 aussie dollars
Source - TV
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, bigger the better
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not important, but preferably something that can balance between ears
Past Headphones - unknown

I've found a couple that do this but they all seem very expensive (cheapest from my looking was about $400)

Any recommendations?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

This is gonna be pretty specific but google gave me ads and not really any answers:

I want to buy some wireless BT headphones for my dad to use with the TV for Christmas.
He has recently developed a hearing loss in one ear, so I would also like them to have some sort of balance feature to them.
He also has intense pain from things going into his ear but the outside is good, so the bigger the pads the better.

I've found a couple that do this but they all seem very expensive (cheapest from my looking was about $400)

Any recommendations?

Not bluetooth for a start (lag with video). If you want wireless TV headphones then the Sennheiser RS 120. You'll be able to keep the majority of your budget.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Zenithe posted:

Any recommendations?

Sennheiser RS line is still pretty good. (they used to use the really good Kleer audio tech, but the company died, they're using something similar now though)

Alternatively, you can also get the Sennheiser Flex 5000 and use any headphones/earbuds you have wirelessly. More cost upfront but you can use headphones you already like.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have Sony WF-1000XM3 bluetooth earphones. I have liked them a lot. My problem is that now I am using them for working out, they loosen too much and with sweat etc. I find myself having to re-adjust and push them back in every 5 minutes or more. I'm looking for a replacement, here's what I am after:

- Bluetooth earphones, not linked to each other by a cable either.

- I don't really care about noise cancelling. A decent seal and loud enough music drowns out any noise.

- Comfortable - the most comfortable earphones I ever had were some of the christmas tree style Etymotic ones. I like the little silicone things that brace against the concha and stop things falling out.

- Some sort of Android integration is a bonus, I like that these current ones read my notifications to me.

- Charging case.

Does anything fit this bill? I wouldn't spend more than £300.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Galaxy Buds+ are a hundred bucks and have the little silicone wingtips, in terms of sound quality even my original Galaxy Buds sound better and cleaner than the ever-popular wired Starfields. I'm a long time Etymotic nerd as well as a result of being picky and sold my Airpods Pro because the cheap old Galaxy Buds still sounded better.

This guy's about the most consistent and respected name in the IEM game if you'd like to see frequency response measurements and some other alternatives.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've had the Buds+ on my wishlist for a while now, and I was thinking about asking a friend who's travelling to the states next week to grab me a pair.

I currently have a pair of Jaybirds X2 which I've been using as a general commuting/gym/going out set of IEMs. I don't really mind the cable linking them together. Would a pair of Buds+ be an upgrade over the X2s, sound-wise, or would it just be a form factor upgrade?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Would a pair of Buds+ be an upgrade over the X2s, sound-wise

Yes, unless you love an extreme v-shaped tuning with bloated bass.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have Sony WF-1000XM3 bluetooth earphones. I have liked them a lot. My problem is that now I am using them for working out, they loosen too much and with sweat etc. I find myself having to re-adjust and push them back in every 5 minutes or more. I'm looking for a replacement, here's what I am after:

- I don't really care about noise cancelling. A decent seal and loud enough music drowns out any noise.

- Comfortable - the most comfortable earphones I ever had were some of the christmas tree style Etymotic ones. I like the little silicone things that brace against the concha and stop things falling out.

- Some sort of Android integration is a bonus, I like that these current ones read my notifications to me.

- Charging case.

Bose sport earbuds?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So.. I decided I've already tried all the iems in the world.. the best ones. Time to build my own. I got a pair of HBB x Tripowin Mele Iems on the used market. Ripped them apart, removed their driver. Bought a $50 bux pair of Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) 10mm drivers from aliexpress. I did some research and know that these are used in the Tanchjim Oxygen. After screwing around with tuning dampers and acoustic things, I arrived on an IEM that surpasses all my expectations. It's got massive subbass slam.. not too much midbass but also not too little for instruments to have meat to them. The treble was an issue, either it was dull or too much. Ended up because the shell itself mounts the driver at a non-optimal angle. I fixed that and mounted it parallel to the bore tube. End result: I'd pay 400-500 for this IEM and not blink an eye. KILLER!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly surprised it took you this long.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I know right:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
redeyes you're a madman

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks man! Next stop is prolly getting them graphed and go from there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
crin just splooged all over the 7hz timeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCgPrQ8yYJU

i don't think i've seen basically every reviewer line up behind something like this since the blon 03, now i'm really curious. i guess i'll find out in a week!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Im a bit taken back by that. I have a couple friends that bought them and they love them. Wild!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The Timeless owns, no doubt

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Has anybody recently replaced the stock pads of the WH-1000XM4 with thicker third party pads like Dekoni?

If yes, any thoughts? How’s the comfort? Any change to the sound at all?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ZeeBoi posted:

Has anybody recently replaced the stock pads of the WH-1000XM4 with thicker third party pads like Dekoni?

If yes, any thoughts? How’s the comfort? Any change to the sound at all?

I did it on my XM3s, I think it's somewhere in my post history in this thread. Can't say much about sound quality, but they were higher quality, more comfortable and did seal better than the stock pads. They weren't THAT much of an upgrade, so for $40-60 it might be worth your money, but if it costs you $100+ I'd say no. I'm back to stock pads on my XM4s now, and I don't really miss the Dekonis.

A more interesting mod I've seen is putting a strip of 5-8 mm foam (think something like a long very tiny pool noodle) along the inner edge of the earpads. This pushes the pads out a little, to get more distance between the drivers and your ear.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The OP says noise cancelling is a waste. The OP is also over 8 years old. I'm guessing technology has gotten a lot better.

Is noise cancelling still a waste? Specifically for flights. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 559 which seem fine. But I prefer earbuds, usually. Those don't do jack on flights, though. I have a paid of older Klipsch buds that are great unless there is noise around.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

- Charging case.

Sony has Sport versions of their earbuds, WFSP800N, that I actually came into this thread to see if anyone has any experience with them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

The OP says noise cancelling is a waste. The OP is also over 8 years old. I'm guessing technology has gotten a lot better.

Is noise cancelling still a waste? Specifically for flights. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 559 which seem fine. But I prefer earbuds, usually. Those don't do jack on flights, though. I have a paid of older Klipsch buds that are great unless there is noise around.

Noise cancelling owns, ignore OP.

Sony, Bose, and Apple are the noise cancelling MVPs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s nice to have, especially if you’re always around constant low noise like a fan heater, air conditioning or engine on transport.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My assumption about the OP and ANC is that when it was written ANC was probably exclusively a premium feature you were paying extra for. Whereas now you can get wireless headphones with ANC for under $50 so you might as well if you're always in a noisy environment.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

njsykora posted:

My assumption about the OP and ANC is that when it was written ANC was probably exclusively a premium feature you were paying extra for. Whereas now you can get wireless headphones with ANC for under $50 so you might as well if you're always in a noisy environment.

Well, it's the wrong assumption. We have way more processing power and way better algorithms now. It just works better. It still works better against constant noise though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ah OK, so basically ANC sucked then but sucks less now?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

njsykora posted:

That, and it's less hyped now, so manufacturers are honest about what it can actually do.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

njsykora posted:

ANC on most cheap IEMs is still mediocre at best but the really good ANC like you'll find in Sony and Bose stuff is legit awesome.

It's not magic, you'll still hear some outside noise, but it's gotten really good. Especially for transit and flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

E: I've only just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2021