Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Oddhair posted:

Thought the building was a crazy wing in the thumbnail.

That’s my deck, but don’t give me ideas.

Edit: shameful page snipe. Have a pic of the Abarth at the drag strip

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

I've done a 6 hour road trip and a bunch of short spirited drives now, and I'm still really digging it. It feels notchier in a good way. Haven't done the valve delete yet, but I did get rid of the assist spring and added a diy stop. Now I'm debating the pros/cons of a weighted shift knob...

Thanks for the trip report, ordered one too :hfive:. Had it in almost a week now and I don't love it but I deffo like it. The 'feel' side isn't perfect but it's a nice improvement, and the functionality side is great - finding while there's rev hang sometimes, a lot of time there's none so I'm getting some smoother shifts from the throw being faster and not missing the engagement timing. Think there's a full shifter (or maybe just some of the bushings and stuff that's available) replacement in my future, but for the price and dummy/free time friendly install, I'm diggin' it! Between that, the spring removal, and clutch stop cleaning up the shifting I..might be real happy with the car and done touching anything for a while? Pretty groovin' now for uhh checks notes dropping off and picking up kids during rush hour.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

1900 miles in 4 days in the EP3. 690 miles each way to North Carolina, and two days of driving on the Dragon and adjacent excellent roads. A+ will return in a hot hatch again.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Imperador do Brasil posted:

1900 miles in 4 days in the EP3. 690 miles each way to North Carolina, and two days of driving on the Dragon and adjacent excellent roads. A+ will return in a hot hatch again.

Boy, that’s a sleek little monster. What you running under the hood?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Boy, that’s a sleek little monster. What you running under the hood?

The motor is a stock K20. Some bolt-ons - intake, header, high flow cat, exhaust. Mostly it’s the suspension and brakes that makes it more fun: Bilstein/Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Eibach sway bars, camber arms, and some SS steel lines with upgraded pads and rotors.

Wheels are Sparco FF1 with 205/55/15 Dunlop Direzza tires.

Slow car fun.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slow car fast owns

Hell ya man! One day I’ll trek out and hit up the dragon

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

After a three week break away from the city, I’ve been enjoying the poo poo out of dropping a gear into a mid-level rev range and tearing off into the sunset.

I think I’m finally at peace with the goals for the FiST: put a tune on, but keep it bone stock and mint. I doubt I’ll ever make money out of it, but I really don’t need much more from 0-40 mph. In twenty years, mine will be one of the last that went unmodified. Given the stock performance I’m ok with that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

After a three week break away from the city, I’ve been enjoying the poo poo out of dropping a gear into a mid-level rev range and tearing off into the sunset.

I think I’m finally at peace with the goals for the FiST: put a tune on, but keep it bone stock and mint. I doubt I’ll ever make money out of it, but I really don’t need much more from 0-40 mph. In twenty years, mine will be one of the last that went unmodified. Given the stock performance I’m ok with that.

Yeah, 6 weeks into FiST ownership and it’s honestly plenty fast for me. IDK where it gets all the “slow car” hate, it’s flat through twisties and on ramps and, to quote RCR, it has no problem merging.

Not thrilled with some of the paint and trim quality, but the fixes seem relatively affordable/doable. I too plan to just drive it into the ground. Maybe turn it into a race car or something in the future if its value/condition tank.

Ford’s idea of quality definitely isn’t the same as, say—Honda’s idea of quality, but so far I’m willing to forgive because the car is just that fun.

For me, I definitely plan on getting some smaller rims in the future (Boston-area streets are not fun with the big shoes)- looking at 16” Terras in white or grey- and I’ll probably do a suspension refresh in 25k miles or so.

The big question for me is—B4 or B6? The price delta isn’t huge between them. Assuming B6 is “20% stiffer than B4” and B4 is “factory replacement” for what is already a pretty stiff and handling-focused setup, would B6 on a FiST be loving unbearable?”

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
the only people who say it is slow are people that live their life a quarter mile at a time on the internet via spec sheets

e: Why do you want to replace the stock ones?
You probably won't notice the difference other than in your wallet unless you drive them back to back, but I think the why matters in this case

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 12, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

the only people who say it is slow are people that live their life a quarter mile at a time on the internet via spec sheets

e: Why do you want to replace the stock ones?
You probably won't notice the difference other than in your wallet unless you drive them back to back, but I think the why matters in this case

Because the car is from 2015 and it will need fresh shocks to keep driving well?

So if the price difference between drop-in OEM spec vs “upgraded” is like $25 per wheel I may as well see if upgrading is worthwhile?

Do you not replace the shocks on your car after driving on them for a while (usually like 100k miles, but I’ve seen ppl recommend 50k depending on the car and driving environment)? Do you not flush the transmission fluid? Doth thou not rotate the tires?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Honestly if I can get control arms cheap enough I might replace those too (or get them cleaned up and sprayed? Can I do that?)

Mine look like they’ve been in New England for six years

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got B4s on Michigan roads, and I still have all my teeth. B6s just mean you’re better equipped to sidestep those pot holes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

Because the car is from 2015 and it will need fresh shocks to keep driving well?

So if the price difference between drop-in OEM spec vs “upgraded” is like $25 per wheel I may as well see if upgrading is worthwhile?

Do you not replace the shocks on your car after driving on them for a while (usually like 100k miles, but I’ve seen ppl recommend 50k depending on the car and driving environment)? Do you not flush the transmission fluid? Doth thou not rotate the tires?

I asked because if you're replacing them for comfort there is a different choice to be made than if you want to improve your pothole slalom

and no, I don't rotate my tires because they wear evenly :chef:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I asked because if you're replacing them for comfort there is a different choice to be made than if you want to improve your pothole slalom

and no, I don't rotate my tires because they wear evenly :chef:

I do a lot of driving, ~2k miles/month, I live in MA, I really enjoy the sporty character of the car. I put a lot of miles on it, but it’s still fun to drive. I enjoy doing it, it doesn’t feel like a chore. It’s harsh tho. The car doesn’t take potholes or road imperfections comfortably. I already mentioned my plan to downsize from the stock rims.

If the B6 were just a simple “all-around improvement” it’d be a no-brainer swap. But IDK how “20% stiffer” is gonna feel in a car like this, or if that shorthand rule really applies for this particular range of kits that are for the Fiesta ST specifically.

Hell, I should double check that Bilstein’s tiering isn’t based on the regular Fiesta (it’s not, I’m 90% sure)....

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The monotube Bilsteins feel significantly more sophisticated than the twin-tube ones, they feel unflappable.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The lady at the chick fil a entered my Pontiac vibe GT as a red crossover. I have never been so owned in my life.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

What are everyone’s thoughts on this car:

$10k - I talked to the owner and he said it was a deer impact that totaled it out. He sent me pics of it as well and it didn’t look like the insurance co should have totaled it to me. All front end damage; hood, bumper, fenders, radiator etc.

It’s about 2 hours away or I’d have gone to check it out already. It looks pretty good and the mods seem decent. I’m always hesitant on branded titles but it’s thousands cheaper than any other FiST I’ve seen.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Look at it, drive it, and inquire about the upgrades. It sounds like it’s just intercooler and CAI, but might have oil catches and/or other stuff. How long has he has the tune on? What’s the life on the clutch?

It’s as risky as any other used car, but the wear will be greater because it’s been hooned. If the price is right and you like it, I don’t think it’s worse than any other FiST.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
paint job looks shite, look at that mismatch between fender and passenger door

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/iwViYhMfWWI

give me the Type R

give me the new Integra that’s most likely based off of this

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really like how that looks. A similar integra with a stick shift would be amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

I really like how that looks. A similar integra with a stick shift would be amazing.

no confirmation about it being similar, but Integra 2022 is a 5dr hatch and it is apparently coming with a manual

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Please be cool. That civic hatch looks so good to me, don’t mess this up!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Yup, Integra will have a manual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDFE92gA3Ag

I hope the auto is good and not CVT or slow slush box. Really like that new Civic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I haven’t been this excited about an Acura in 20 years

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does the type R have AWD or will the integra have FWD guaranteed?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
AWD and DCT are the anti-TypeR

If they end up going that way we know Honda has lost the plot

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I was getting it goofed with the Focus RS I think.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t think the Integra gets away with being AWD and keeping the fanboys happy, but I could be wrong, esp after they came through with the manual after the Supra didn’t

They’ll have to differentiate it from the Civic, and I hope it’s not exclusively in interior quality

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
What is interesting about the new Civic? It seems to have the same powertrain as the previous one, and they made the hatchback look like a sedan. I guess the Integra will be interesting, but isn't it just going to be an expensive Civic SI?

In that segment, I think the Kia / Hyundai stuff is more interesting.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rusty posted:

What is interesting about the new Civic? It seems to have the same powertrain as the previous one, and they made the hatchback look like a sedan. I guess the Integra will be interesting, but isn't it just going to be an expensive Civic SI?

Nice interior, at least.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the interior is nice and it seems like people love the ride quality so I am sure it is a nice car.

Edit: Also I didn't realize there were people who preferred FWD. Like I have a FWD car but I don't think anyone would complain if they added Haldex to the GTI.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 16, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

the old civic’s exterior design was v polarizing and the interior design was garbage compared to the competition, but otherwise it was mostly a Civic (ie perfect), esp with the manual.

The new Civic gets a massively improved interior and an exterior design that moves upmarket while decisively calling back to classic design elements from the 90s and early 2000s. It’s a Civic (ie perfect).

The Veloster could be a contender but it’s weird and uncomfortable with 3 doors and it’s also fugly as heck. I parked next to a Veloster N the other day and I was flabbergasted by how much better looking I thought my FiST was. Also the DCT has a somewhat recent history of unreliability vs Honda’s rep for relative unflappability.

The Civic has a 50 year reputation for being a perfectly balanced car. Extremely reliable and efficient while being a bit more sporty and stylish than the Corolla, for maybe a smidge more money.

People are extra excited about this one because the Gen 10 always felt a bit ratty, even at the Type R level, when compared to the materials in say—a Golf R. With the more pedestrian Gen 11 models being as nice and well-performing and seemingly high-end as they appear to be, it gets people’s hopes up for the higher spec versions.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I understand, but I think the Civic is just boring and the way the hatch matches the look of the sedan is a weird style choice. To me the more interesting cars aren't the Veloster, but the other new turbo cars they added this year with the new 8-speed DCTs and also a manual in the Elantra N. The K5 GT-line also offers an AWD version and all have 10 year warranties. Normal people who aren't enthusiast will tend toward the known Honda of course, but I am liking the Korean offerings a lot more. I almost want to test drive the Kona-N when it comes out and see if I can put up with the looks. It's almost a Hot Hatch.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

every time i see a new civic i just think "why does something look wrong with that accord? oh, right"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rusty posted:

I understand, but I think the Civic is just boring and the way the hatch matches the look of the sedan is a weird style choice. To me the more interesting cars aren't the Veloster, but the other new turbo cars they added this year with the new 8-speed DCTs and also a manual in the Elantra N. The K5 GT-line also offers an AWD version and all have 10 year warranties. Normal people who aren't enthusiast will tend toward the known Honda of course, but I am liking the Korean offerings a lot more. I almost want to test drive the Kona-N when it comes out and see if I can put up with the looks. It's almost a Hot Hatch.

This is like the opposite of any enthusiast I know. Turbos? Autos? AWD? Warranties?!

It’s absolutely fine of course and I’m not being mean or anything. I’m genuinely surprised :)

Also I just spent more on tyres for my ep3 than I paid for the whole car lol. Ffs

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Bape Culture posted:

This is like the opposite of any enthusiast I know. Turbos? Autos? AWD? Warranties?!

It’s absolutely fine of course and I’m not being mean or anything. I’m genuinely surprised :)

Also I just spent more on tyres for my ep3 than I paid for the whole car lol. Ffs
I didn't know car people were against AWD and Turbos, or warranties for that matter. Maybe I am missing sarcasm, but I thought the N was a car people liked a lot.

Also fwiw, I am comparing the Civic and Civic SI market segment, not like 50k + cars (of which most will also be AWD and turbo lol) .

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rusty posted:

I didn't know car people were against AWD and Turbos, or warranties for that matter. Maybe I am missing sarcasm, but I thought the N was a car people liked a lot.

Also fwiw, I am comparing the Civic and Civic SI market segment, not like 50k + cars.

AWD just trades weight for the ability to put down more power on corner exit so you end up with a car that pushes like a wheel barrow and makes up for it in a straight line. Pretty boring, imo, and more expensive to run in terms of consumables

Turbos are fine, as long as they are sized appropriately, but you inevitably end up with heat management issues

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The evolution of the hot hatch is kind of interesting.

For me it’s all about things like 205 gtis and 182s. Absolute simplicity you can rip up on your drive and fix for pennies.

But now we’re almost at Impreza and evo territory of a few years ago but as a 2-box. I wonder what’s next!

E: I cannot imagine having a golf r or something as a track car and how the consumables would be vs the aforementioned cars. I suppose it’s just that more people now see them as every day things than track cars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BlackMK4 posted:

AWD just trades weight for the ability to put down power on corner exit so you end up with a car that pushes like a wheel barrow and makes up for it in a straight line. Pretty boring, imo, and more expensive to run in terms of consumables
I have just learned that I don't love the wheel hop from FWD cars that can put down more power than they can handle from a stop, even with the LSD. I love my GTI, but one thing I would change is to get the Haldex from the R.