Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chronosynclast posted:

Speaking of everyone's favorite three-eyed prisoner, I was recently reading Death Troopers and came across the following passage:

quote:

Being cautious became harder; soon you needed eyes in the back of your head -- which some of them actually possessed. Two weeks earlier in the mess hall, Trig had noticed a tall, silent inmate sitting with its back to him but watching him nonetheless with a single raw-red eye in the back of its skull.

What do you think? Coincidence, or well-hidden cameo?

...my god.

edit: Adding the quote because of the snype. Everyone needs to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is Death Troopers the one that had the screaming lungs or brains or whatever? I remember that being the one book in the old book thread that actually sounded pretty dope.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's the lung one. It's incredibly silly in a way that works when it's about zombies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Didn’t care for Death Troopers and can’t really remember anything about it. I guess Red Harvest was even worse. Somebody in one of our threads mentioned that the author ripped off Liam Neeson’s “Certain set of skills” speech from Taken. His Darth Maul in prison book is ok though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, Red Harvest is far sillier than Death Troopers, which was already as silly as you can get and still be decent. It probably should have dramatically changed the Star Wars universe, so I kind of assumed that none of it was canon even then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, Red Harvest is far sillier than Death Troopers, which was already as silly as you can get and still be decent. It probably should have dramatically changed the Star Wars universe, so I kind of assumed that none of it was canon even then.

It was just as canonical as any of the other novels -- "C-Canon" if you kept up with the tier system of the time

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

It was just as canonical as any of the other novels -- "C-Canon" if you kept up with the tier system of the time
And it shouldn't have been, because "hey so zombies" totally jacks up the way the universe works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It wasn't even the first time zombies showed up in Star Wars.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Rakghouls were basically zombies by another name, yeah. The big Vector era-crossover even explained it to originally be some ancient Sith Lord's project to create an army of mindless minions. Straight-up zombie plague meets necromancer raising undead armies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not even rakghouls. There were worm zombies in one of the Tales from the New Republic short stories, I think there was a zombie book in Galaxy of Fear and there were Sith zombies in Mystery of the Sith and at least one comic book.

Chronosynclast
Sep 29, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

I think there was a zombie book in Galaxy of Fear

The second book, City of the Dead. Remember that guy who hassled Luke in Mos Eisley Cantina, saying he had the death sentence in twelve systems? He figured out how to make zombies. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan/Legends

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chronosynclast posted:

The second book, City of the Dead. Remember that guy who hassled Luke in Mos Eisley Cantina, saying he had the death sentence in twelve systems? He figured out how to make zombies. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan/Legends
Just when I think I have reached the bottom of stupid old EU stuff... I learn humility. Every time :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone knows about Waru the Golden ham alien and the crying mountain. To get into the real gritty silly you've got to work for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the Galaxy of Fear zombie book was decent but that’s by 20+ year old memory talking. Mainly what I remember about the book is Zak gets buried alive and Bobs Fett digs him up to get answers out of him I think. Also because it was Goosebumps in Space! most of the chapters have scary cliffhangers that turn out to be nothing on the next page. That book has one of the dumbest ones. They land on the planet and leave the spaceport and all of the sudden they’re accosted by mummies. Then the next chapter starts and it turns out they’re just civilians dressed as mummies and this is how they greet visitors to their world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had a shower thought.

Darth Sion is, or was at one point, black. He's Scottish. He's also dead in one eye.

Is Darth Sion the Demoman from Team Fortress 2? He's a black scottish cyclops.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chronosynclast posted:

He's still at it in the Disney Canon, though his "mindless servants" are a little more literal:

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
The decraniated!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hiding from the death sentences he had received, Evazan infiltrated a biofarm on Thannt and stole a pluripleq, a shape-shifting creature, and used it to disguise his face, taking the name "Lopset Yas." "Yas" was soon imprisoned by the Galactic Empire in Accresker Jail, becoming a member of their expendable fighting force in a squad with Chelli Aphra, who nicknamed him "Flopso."

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
People rave about the Aphra comic, and while her character is fun the plot is absolute garbage.

Edit: Corrected weird autocorrect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's kind of why they rave about it. The plot is better than the average Marvel plot, and then at the end it turns out it was all a scheme to steal poo poo and do a runner while making fun of everyone. It's not complex, or clever, but it is very very fun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the Lego Star Wars: Terrifying Tales special on Disney+, and it was a very fun 45 minutes. I kind of wish that it had been a straight-up animated special as I don't think the Lego gimmick added a ton to it, but I understand why having it as a Lego special was probably an easier pitch. I really liked the segment that's basically an Infinities story of Luke joining the Empire, but my favorite part was the take on Ben joining the Knights of Ren and becoming Kylo Ren. It's a five minute segment in an animated Lego special and its depiction of that story was absolutely better than the "real" story we got in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For those who aren't so much into the High Republic side of things, four non-HR books just got announced:

https://www.starwars.com/news/new-books-revealed

Shadow of the Sith - Luke and Lando looking for Exegol (tying in to Lando's mention of that quest in Rise of Skywalker, presumably)

Brotherhood - Obi-Wan and Anakin in early Clone Wars days, pre-Ahsoka

Stories of Jedi and Sith - an middle grade anthology, sounds similar to the Clone Wars tales of light and shadow book from a while back

Padawan - Obi-Wan as Qui-Gon's Padawan. I guess Master and Apprentice did well enough to warrant a second book of the same time frame

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like it's been forever since there was a non-High Republic book.

Shadow of the Sith sounds like it could be good, especially as a Luke/Lando pairing isn't something we ever got a lot of. From the description, interesting that it seems to confirm that Luke knew about Rey.

The Anakin/Obi-Wan book... eh. I'd be more interested if it was them pre-Clone Wars. I assume this is supposed to depict the "time on Cato Neimoidia" mentioned in ROTS.

The young Obi-Wan book has a good sounding premise. My bet is that the planet will tie into the High Republic series somehow, though.

Of all those authors listed, I think the only one whose name jumps out is Delilah S. Dawson. Funny that we're at the point where she feels like an older established Star Wars author.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the "Business on Cato Nemoidia" that was depicted in Labyrinth of Evil. Obi Wan got high as gently caress on hallucinogenic gasses and imagined he was fighting an entire army of droids while Anakin and the clones kept a safe distance from all his wild swings.

I've been going through older books as well as Tie Fighter and I really miss the Rebel/Imperial arms race that kicked off after the Battle of Yavin. It was cool watching the Empire adapt to Rebel tactics and start implementing proper changes to their battle strategies when the Tarkin Doctrine proved to he ineffective against an organized enemy military.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

After 15 books of hyping it up Nom Anor finally uses his stupid poison spitting eye thing! and then he immediatly regrets it!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pablo showing a bit of how the sausage is made tonight

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1446271151999651856?s=20
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1446272490817294354?s=20
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1446276910359613444?s=20

fake edit: bonus John Jackson Miller

https://twitter.com/jjmfaraway/status/1446282148701483012?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Suddenly it's clear why Rise of Kylo Ren was poo poo.

Also wasn't the stuff that Johnson contributed to Bloodline basically just the "there are Populists who are the space Democrats and Centrists who are the space Republicans" concept?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

Suddenly it's clear why Rise of Kylo Ren was poo poo.
Yeah that comics series was... extremely bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Missed a golden opportunity to make the Space Democrats and Republicans into the Dimoks and the Ripoblus.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Missed a golden opportunity to make the Space Democrats and Republicans into the Dimoks and the Ripoblus.

You can also tell this idea was from pre-2016 because no liberal would use "Populists" in a good way after that.

Anyway, something I thought was interesting I just came across - I used to read Star Trek novels as a kid but haven't dove into them since the 90s. I did vaguely know that starting in 2002 the Star Trek publishing wing started trying to make a cohesive post-TNG/DS9/Voyager continuity for all of their new output, as it seemed like there wouldn't be any few shows or movies to contradict them. But now with stuff like Picard and Lower Decks coming out, the novel continuity is clearly becoming non-canon, so Paramount decided to end that novel continuity and reboot them. But they're putting out a final novel trilogy to serve as a wrap-up for the last twenty years of Star Trek literary canon. And according to one of the authors involved, that was specifically done as a response to the old Star Wars EU getting cut off with no real resolution. I just thought it was interesting to see how Star Wars literature had an impact on Trek literature.

https://daytonward.wordpress.com/2021/09/27/before-all-the-moments-go-asunder/

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I hope it's not an ill omen that the copy of The Final Prophecy i just got came with a huge chunk of the last page torn out of it. :ohdear: The Force Heretic series was a little slow and overlong but overall was pretty enjoyable. Can't wait to see how this whole thing shakes out and then....Bug Time!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

The Shame Boy posted:

I hope it's not an ill omen that the copy of The Final Prophecy i just got came with a huge chunk of the last page torn out of it. :ohdear: The Force Heretic series was a little slow and overlong but overall was pretty enjoyable. Can't wait to see how this whole thing shakes out and then....Bug Time!

The force heretic series always seemed to me like the EU cleaning up loose ends. I agree it was pretty overlong, and would’ve been happy with just Nom Anor scheming for three books. God he rules.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Force Heretic was where I bailed the last time I tried reading through the whole NJO. Almost done with Remnant on this read, so everything from here on out is new to me, and I'm looking forward to finally finishing the series this time. I'm enjoying Remnant more this go around; I'm interested in seeing where Tahiri's story goes, Nom Anor continues to be a fun character, and getting another rare glimpse into the Empire after the peace treaty is neat. It is extremely slow though, and two more books of this feels like it's going to be way too padded, especially for the end of the series.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I remember Force Heretic cleaned up the Ssi-Ruu plot lines a bit, but was it that trilogy that they run into a Yevetha and he detonates his ship in an attempt to kill them? Also implying that the Vong pretty much wiped them out as a species? There were so many sideplots in the NJO so it’s hard to remember in what books stuff happened outside of the major plot beats.

I also read the NJO before Black Fleet Crisis or The Corellian Trilogy so there were so many references to stuff happening that I didn’t get at the time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yep, the Yevetha thing is in Remnant.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don’t remember much Force heresy going on in Force Heretic :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

I don’t remember much Force heresy going on in Force Heretic :(

You think that's bad? I'm still peeved that Boba Fett never fought against a machine that feeds on human souls in Slave Ship! That blurb lied to me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Just finished up The Unifying Force. What a goddamn ride this series has been!

It starts out so middle school edgy and dark and serious but very quickly comes into it's own while bringing in very Not Star Wars elements into Star Wars that i would say worked very well for it in the end.

I feel like since i only read what's effectively the highlight reel of this era (X-Wing, Thrawn, Truce of Bakura) that i was missing out on a few key bits of knowledge here and there but for the most part it was all great stuff.

I've only got a couple lingering complaints/questions at the end of it all

1.Nom Anor Seriously? He just blows up with Shimrra and Onimi? For all of his scheming and all of the times i think he could have or should have died was just so he could fail one last time to kill the Solos and then just get blown up? Kind of a lame way to go for one the best characters in this whole thing. Even Tsavong Lah had a better death and he got beat in 5 seconds by a girl who could only use one hand at the time!

2. C-3PO and R2-D2: In particular the scene where The Falcon crashes into the hedge maze and the ship is overrun and Han and Leia are captured is a pretty drat effective scene at showing how dire things really are since it's the first time Vong Warriors have been gotten into the Falcon and put the heros into real danger. I can accept that they were in need of more sacrifices so they wouldn't have necessarily killed Han and Leia right away but the TECHNOLOGY HATING Vong didn't just smash poor 3PO and R2 into scrap metal? Why waste the time and effort and possibly risk committing heresy by NOT destroying technology when you see it? They spent the better part of 18 other books smashing up droids and throwing the remains into a pit!

3. Jaina and Jacen: no real complaint on the characters themselves but it's kinda messed up how neither of them ended up in a relationship. Danni can do better and Jaina and Jag are a cute couple :(

Time to go from a series that is generally well loved to one that isn't with Swarm War! At least this one is only 3 book and now i have more context for these characters than the first i read them! Pretty sure they were the first post NJO books i read and the first ones i read after i had finish the X-Wing series in high school so i had ALOT of questions :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For Nom Anor, I think a lot of people at the time expected him to have faked his death... but nope.

For Danni, I really liked her character and other than a minor cameo in one of the Swarm books that's basically used to get her off-screen forever, I don't think she's even mentioned again. Without spoiling anything, there's a character in the Legacy of the Force series that I really think should have just been Danni, but I'll mention that once you get there!

It is strange to think that when they came out, the NJO series was so incredibly divisive, and now there... I'd say maybe still a bit, but generally regarded as a classic of the EU. I'd say at the time there were a lot of people who read them and hated them, but now it seems like a lot of the dislike for the NJO is from people who never read them and just didn't like the synopsis they read on Wookieepedia or the like.

Also for what it's worth I think The Unifying Force itself is a really good book, maybe Luceno's best and one of the best EU novels overall, as well as the best of the various potential "ending points" that came out for the overall series over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
NJO overall I think suffered from trying to make Star Wars, in a way, serious. Even the darker moments of something like Empire Strikes Back or Revenge of the Sith are presented in a heightened, melodramatic manner. NJO decided to have full on torture scenes and body horror that, despite being alien, didn't really feel sci-fi or fantasy. It feels grim in places that other Star Wars typically wouldn't. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you're not prepared for and willing to go on that journey....it can definitely be offputting