Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Merkinman posted:

An interesting thing about the video game medium, is if a particular part is too difficult, then the individual can't experience anything further in the game. That's not the case with something like a book, where if a person doesn't know a word, the book prevents the reader from reading ahead anyway, or a movie that just stops because the person didn't understand what happened.

Kind of a bad analogy. If you don't have the literacy to parse themes, contextualize events, notice parallels, and stuff like that you can "read to the end" while getting nothing out of the book other than "Gregor Samsa was a bug I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My own childhood one was "I don't understand what Micheal Crichton is talking about with all these kissing parts, but these dinosaur carnage parts are loving awesome."

Only thing that has frustrated me about Dread is control-related, yeah. The grapple doesn't feel great and any time I need to aim the grapple manually quickly during a fight where I'm also using missiles can still cause me to hesitate because it hasn't become natural-feeling. Bits with storing a shinespark and going between a ball and back precisely feel a bit muddy sometimes with an analog stick too, where she stands up or crouches when I didn't intend to move it that far. The EMMI chases seem just about right though... I die a few times each time, but they are short enough to let you figure it out before it becomes frustrating. They don't trap you in those rooms with them for too long.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

GI_Clutch posted:

Can't wait for Nintendo to announce the "Oops! All Shinespark Puzzles!" DLC for Metroid Dread.

I love the Shinespark puzzles they feel real good to execute

https://twitter.com/YesterdayIsSuck/status/1448851989673103363

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the dread controls are perfect

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

Another success for Nintendo in a decades-long streak of not making any mistakes

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How's the water though?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Willo567 posted:

David Jaffe hasn't been relevant since God of War 2. He made an average Twisted Metal clone, directed the remake of Twisted Metal that only had three playable characters, and directed "Drawn to Death" which killed his studio and you can't even play anymore due to Sony shutting down the servers for it.

Also funny how he's whining about gatekeeping and difficulty when Twisted Metal featured this
https://twitter.com/PoisedLegsPR/status/1447844798233292803

God of War didn't get truly great until after he left, too

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hatty posted:

Ahhhh that's how you get that. I didn't know you could wall jump without losing the speed boost.

Also who gives a poo poo about David Jaffe or what he thinks about a Metroid game

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

hatty posted:

I'm kinda miffed about this one shinespark puzzle where I see what they want me to do, can't quite pull it off, and there's a nice long hallway in the background that would completely trivialize the challenge if Samus would just break the 2D plane.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 15, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Stux posted:

i'm amazed at how good it feels. sometimes i'll just stand around and shoot at walls because aiming and shooting is so much fun lol

super metroid is overall my favorite metroid, but hoo boy will it be hard to go back to after 10 hours of dread

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Animal crossing is finally adding goddamn Gyroids. The game is finally out of early access

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

God of War didn't get truly great until after he left, too

the third game happened after his departure so that series’ disease clearly wasn’t contained just to him

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Momomo posted:

I'm having some amount of difficulty with Dread, but that's almost entirely because I keep standing in place trying to fire as many missiles at the boss as I can, and only dodge at the very last minute. I have a feeling the game would be pretty easy if I was just more patient.

This seems generally true, you get wrecked very fast if you're just trying to plant and face tank. If you mostly avoid attacks successfully and plunk a few missiles at the boss every couple seconds your damage output is way lower but you will survive, and surviving while wearing down the boss gets you the counter opportunities you need to just blast it with dozens of missiles unopposed.

Unloading thirty missiles into the boss right at the start
1) won't kill it
2) you're dead from not avoiding attacks

A successful run against a boss probably takes at least a few minutes, you can't survive that long if you're consistently taking damage.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo online with N64 is $50 a year but includes the new Animal crossing DLC

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Bug Squash posted:

I'm getting powerful flashbacks to the time Jonathan Blow did a live stream of Breath of the Wild, prattling inanely about how empty and superficial the overworld was while walking straight past obvious secrets.
Speaking of JoBlow and Twitter drama, dude recently started posting COVID conspiracy theories on his Twitter. Oops!
https://twitter.com/beakfriends/status/1447653626395176969?s=20

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Expansion Pack pricing

They're also rolling in the Animal Crossing DLC as a bonus

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

50 god drat dollars lol

That’s a bit much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hatty posted:

And the paid DLC for AC is actually enough to get me back in to the game. Holy poo poo, coupled with the free 2.0 update, it's a LOT.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some Super Mario Maker 2 paid content is on the way, which will also be included in the expansion pack online.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whelp I guess I can live without genesis games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfaooooo

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Good thing you don't have to upgrade to the NSO membership and they aren't forcing it on you!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Just heard about the $50 upgraded Nintendo Online thing and came here to say: lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Good thing you don't have to upgrade to the NSO membership and they aren't forcing it on you!

No way!! Thanks for the tip!

Doesn’t make the price less stupid though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hatty posted:

eugh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JordanKai posted:

Just heard about the $50 upgraded Nintendo Online thing and came here to say: lmao

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While yeah, it's a bit much, they're seemingly setting a precedent for including otherwise paid DLC in it. I hope that continues.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I Encountered some Dungeons last night and I've got mixed feelings.

I like the oversimplified design and there's potential for it to get real interesting but for the three or four dungeon levels I mapped I barely took any damage and it seemed like there were pretty obvious "right" approaches to the battles I fought. Granted I'm just starting to be able to afford different types of weapons so maybe monster and party variance will open up the decision space but I worry it might be too easy and become more of a numbers-go-up game than a numbers-go-up game with engaging combat. I'll definitely keep at it for a while since I'm still pretty early according to the very cool total-number-of-tiles indicator.

But also there are a few other design decisions that they're going to stubbornly be wrong about. They made the obviously correct movement scheme locked behind holding a button, so you're basically always holding B in the dungeon, and even at the fastest settings the fights aren't terribly fast so you'll always be holding A through the easy encounters. It'd be so easy to make the combat actually fast and to add an option for the alternate movement mode to stay on all the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If they ever put stuff on that membership plan that convinces me I need it, I'll probably open up my family membership to goons who want in for 10 bucks a year.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-64-controller.html
https://store.nintendo.com/sega-genesis-control-pad.html

new controllers are up for NSO members

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I might buy the Animal Crossing DLC anyway so I may do the upgrade this year. Wonder if they’ll roll spl3toon DLC into it next year

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The higher price will actually be worth it if they start adding in new first party dlcs and partner third party dlcs for free, but you kind of have to actually say "Here's all the stuff you will be getting" you can't just randomly announce stuff as it comes and just expect people to subscribe on blind faith.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

50 quid a year doesn't seem like super expensive

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

MarcusSA posted:

No way!! Thanks for the tip!

Doesn’t make the price less stupid though.

I don't even play online games on the PS4 and I like playing poo poo like Smash, New Horizons and Taiko online, plus I love playing old poo poo on the go, especially N64. Don't know why people are making a big deal about this

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

50 quid a year doesn't seem like super expensive

it's exactly the same amount sony charges for PSN, which give you entire not-retro games every month

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The higher price will actually be worth it if they start adding in new first party dlcs and partner third party dlcs for free, but you kind of have to actually say "Here's all the stuff you will be getting" you can't just randomly announce stuff as it comes and just expect people to subscribe on blind faith.

Or at the least say it’s a possibility. This kind of came from knowhere

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also drat more than doubling it for a one generation move

Gonna be a 100 if they ever do game boy games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Purchased the N64 controller.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Rumble Functionality – Rumble support in compatible games, such as Star Fox™ 64 – no Rumble Pak™ required!

what if i want to use the pak though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

hatty posted:

I might buy the Animal Crossing DLC anyway so I may do the upgrade this year. Wonder if they’ll roll spl3toon DLC into it next year

Oh gently caress, that's how they'll get me. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When they add GB/GBC it goes up to $60 then $70 for GBA.