Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Play posted:

I know I'm sorry GPUs have very little to do with free games except that they can play them

They used to come with a bunch of free games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Free games??
Maybe we should have a thread about it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

OgNar posted:

Free games??
Maybe we should have a thread about it.

Don't we already have one of those? This is the Classic GPU thread.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Large Testicles posted:

Don't we already have one of those? This is the Classic GPU thread.

Are we going full circle back to PC Simulator? (which I've claimed but not tried)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Are we going full circle back to PC Simulator? (which I've claimed but not tried)

It's weirdly fun. Like, it shouldn't be and I would never have paid for it but :shrug:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My latest GPU came with a free game. It was Anthem, and the download code expired after like 7 days so I never got around to redeeming it. It's probably for the best.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I got a card with Anthem, and by the time the rest of my PC parts arrived to use it the game had cycled over to something better like Metro Exodus. However, when I tried Anthem I actually had some fun with it and the flying felt really good, especially if you stayed close to the ground. Pity the rest of it was a hot mess.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If we are talking about free game fhat come with hardware purchase…

Once in a while, I would window shop on Cyberpower PC website to see what extremely expensive PC you can build with infinite money.:sparkles:

Usually, some brand or product would display their offer for purchasing that specific hardware in the custom build page.

For example, I found the Intel Gamer Days bundle that give you Humankind and Crysis trilogy for purchasing a qualifying intel 10th or 11th gen CPU.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks for the PTSD. I worked as a Loss Prevention manager at Best Buy for a while and people were constantly opening the graphics card boxes and stealing the codes for free games, we had to return the cards at a loss since we couldn't sell them as new. Also had people buy the cards, redeem the game and then return the card.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To bring this full circle:

My latest GPU came with a code for Outer Worlds, which is on

THE EPIC GAME STORE

Needless to say, I did not redeem that code and chose instead to burn my house down rather than give Epic my precious email.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

To bring this full circle:

My latest GPU came with a code for Outer Worlds, which is on

THE EPIC GAME STORE

Needless to say, I did not redeem that code and chose instead to burn my house down rather than give Epic my precious email.

You say that like there's another option, which we all know is ridiculous.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I got some Call of Duty and wanted to give it away, but it was tied to the GPU (via geforce experience) so the code was refused if someone else wanted to use it...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The least free game I got was Watch Dogs 2 with my 1070 years ago. I claimed it and have yet to actually install or play it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

The least free game I got was Watch Dogs 2 with my 1070 years ago. I claimed it and have yet to actually install or play it.

FWIW that was one of the rare free games posted in this thread that I actually fully beat. It's pretty fun! I also beat Control, really enjoyed that one too.

And now I'm actually having a pretty tough time recalling any other free games from this thread that I beat. Hell, even installing and playing them is unusual, so seeing one through to the end is really something special

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

timp posted:

FWIW that was one of the rare free games posted in this thread that I actually fully beat. It's pretty fun! I also beat Control, really enjoyed that one too.

And now I'm actually having a pretty tough time recalling any other free games from this thread that I beat. Hell, even installing and playing them is unusual, so seeing one through to the end is really something special

I got Hitman 3 somehow, I think it was this thread, and it's a great (if short) playthrough. Control was great too, especially if you like SCP articles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

timp posted:

If you actually beat a game you get for free i think you're legally obliged to leave this thread. We don't do that here.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

*tugging collar intensifies*

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

I got Hitman 3 somehow, I think it was this thread, and it's a great (if short) playthrough. Control was great too, especially if you like SCP articles.

Oh yeah, I did beat Hitman as well. I even bought the DLC for Control and Hitman because I enjoyed them both so much. But you must be talking about the first Hitman (2016), which was definitely free on the EGS at one point. I'd be really surprised if you got Hitman 3 free because it just came out this year and AFAIK it's still like 50-60 bucks.

Also I did beat GTAV but I don't really count that cause I'd already beaten it once back in 2013

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

timp posted:

When does it pick up? I tried Control but was bored with trudging around a big office for a couple of hours. Oooh and office, but with floating dead people? Meh. Though I will try it again if it gets awesome close to that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

When does it pick up? I tried Control but was bored with trudging around a big office for a couple of hours. Oooh and office, but with floating dead people? Meh. Though I will try it again if it gets awesome close to that.

Control is my favorite game of last year - It's definitely slow but the story is amazing, very Fringe meets X-Files meets Lovecraft. Plus a surprise crossover with Alan Wake in the DLC.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

You should definitely keep playing until you at least have the ability to rip chunks of stone of the wall out and catapult them at jabronis with your mind. If you don't like the game after that then it's just not for you.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

timp posted:

Oh yeah, I did beat Hitman as well. I even bought the DLC for Control and Hitman because I enjoyed them both so much. But you must be talking about the first Hitman (2016), which was definitely free on the EGS at one point. I'd be really surprised if you got Hitman 3 free because it just came out this year and AFAIK it's still like 50-60 bucks.

Also I did beat GTAV but I don't really count that cause I'd already beaten it once back in 2013

Weird, I know for sure I didn't pay a dime for it, I got it for free somehow, and legit, because it's on my EGS account

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hitman 3 was bundled with Intel CPUs and certain Razer laptops at one point, that's the only way you could have got it for free I think

unless you just have the starter pack and mistook it for the full game :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Basically immediately after that, I think? It sounds like you didn't make it out of Chapter 1.

Though tbh I was instantly on board from the moment the game pulled its magic trick less than five minutes into gameplay so YMMV.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Basically immediately after that, I think? It sounds like you didn't make it out of Chapter 1.

Though tbh I was instantly on board from the moment the game pulled its magic trick less than five minutes into gameplay so YMMV.

Very much so. I didn't make it too much into whatever the spoiler was. I know I made it that far, but it didn't grab me.

timp posted:

You should definitely keep playing until you at least have the ability to rip chunks of stone of the wall out and catapult them at jabronis with your mind. If you don't like the game after that then it's just not for you.

This however, is something worth trying!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Thanks for the reminder that I got Control on EGS way back and never got around to even installing it

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

John Murdoch posted:

Can you spoiler what this is for me? I made it like four hours into the game and don't recall anything I'd particularly call that.

Edit: Phone posting is hard.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Presumably raytracing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Duderclese posted:

Can you spoiler what this is for me? I made it like four hours into the game and don't recall anything I'd particularly call that.

Edit: Phone posting is hard.

If I had to guess they're referring to Jesse walking in on the Director dead and finding out she's now the director

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i was thinking they meant the building shifting around you

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i was thinking they meant the building shifting around you

which is cool but they never actually use non-euclidean environments again after that one time in the intro

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

repiv posted:

which is cool but they never actually use non-euclidean environments again after that one time in the intro

There's the ashtray maze which is pretty similar in a way.

But yeah a lot of people liked it but to me Control was just okay. It was content poor and while the combat wasn't awful it wasn't great either. Powers were fun but get pretty rote as you go along. A lot of what I was thinking while playing through the game was 'drat, they could've done SO MUCH more with this but they didn't.'

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Almost my exact thoughts barring that sequence being the best sequence of the year for me, even if the rest of the game was good not great.

However for free it is one of the absolute best pulls this thread has had.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Okay yeah, that all makes sense. I played until just before you unlock the flight power. (Not a spoiler it's in preview videos)

But I did every side mission possible and it was just... Underwhelming combat and mediocre story. Definitely had a strong x files vibe.

Edit: phone posting: still very hard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it gets crazier and crazier as you unlock your powers. Once you can fly, use telekinesis, mind control, create a goddam Dr. Doom from Marvel vs. Capcom rock barrier and psychically change your gun into a sticky bomb launcher it is a blast.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fuzz posted:

Same card and same game here. Small world.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dogstile posted:

If you actually beat a game you get for free i think you're legally obliged to leave this thread. We don't do that here.

As far as free games the only one I beat was Plague Tale: Innocence. I liked it and will probably play it again, even though it's fairly limited.

On the plus side it didn't waste a lot of time in repetitious stuff. I started playing Ghost Recon for some reason and drat it got old in less time than it took me to finish Plague Tale.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I played the copy of Mutant Year Zero I got for free on Epic. I even beat it. Using the free tier of GeForce Now. Seriously considering the dlc even, once I find a job.

Why did I use GeForce Now? Because my laptop is from 2012 (Toshiba Satellite i7-2860QM/GeForce GT 630M/8GB RAM). If it came out during the ps3/xbox 360 era I'm usually just fine, but anything much newer it struggles. Indie games are usually fine, but anything 3D is a crapshoot; Mothergunship is stable 30fps at 720p, PC Building Simulator sits around 10-15fps at the lowest settings. I feel like I would be fine except for bottleneck on the video card honesty, but there is no way to upgrade it to my knowledge. On the various benchmark sites for games my processor and ram always well exceed the required, just the video card barely even registers on the graph.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 16, 2021

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Not a free game but you can get a free $10 coupon on Epic just by updating your communication preferences. Did it a little while ago and the coupon was sent pretty much instantly.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/connect-and-save-subscribe-to-epic-games-emails-and-get-a-10-dollar-epic-coupon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Sadly the coupon expires in a month so I can't hoard it forever