Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

I rarely laugh while reading this thread, but this one got me. It’s perfect.

And He Did! October 23, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 28, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 28, 1929

Oaky Doaks May 1, 1936

Mopsy July 8, 1937

Up Front August 12, 1944

If anyone’s near Chicago and interested, the Pritzker Military Museum has a retrospective of Mauldin’s work including “Up Front” and editorial work.

quote:

"Drawn to Combat: Bill Mauldin and the Art of War" features nearly 150 of the Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist’s framed original drawings and published cartoons, as well as personal material from Bill Mauldin’s exceptional career. From May 14, 2021 - Spring 2022.
https://www.pritzkermilitary.org/billmauldinexhibit

Dark Laughter March 19, 1949

Those Were the Days October 4, 1956

Wee Pals January 21, 1966

Dogbert July 11, 1966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

She's gonna get jealous and have to "win him back."

This is the worst possible story.

This storyline is going to make Mary Worth one of my most hated comics.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I love how this comic just straight up admits the Idaville police are a bunch of useless dipshits. Theft of a rare and valuable object? Sounds like a job for a ten year old boy!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I don't think Luann ages at any consistent rate. I think Team Evans just ages her up whenever they get bored. Like others in the thread, though, I would guess she's likely a sophomore in college. She's clearly no longer a freshman, having been there long enough to get a job as an assistant in one class and for Bernice to have gotten hired and then shitcanned as an RA. I'd put her at 19 or 20. I'll be sincerely surprised if Greg ever lets her reach drinking age.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Larson doesn't do too much dialogue, but of the few this is one of my absolute favourites.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (February 14, 1934)

Peanuts (October 17, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft's Stunt Is Going To Make Her Count Every Goddamn Penny. And Then She'll Have To Go To The Bank. Yes, This Happened To Me Once. And No, I'm Not Nursing A Grudge About It. Why Do You Ask?

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater

Out Our Way (August 2-4, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (March 14-16, 1918)

Dok's "Cavalcade Of Headache-Inducing Ethnic Slurs" Duck (October 29, 1913; spoilered because YOU HEARD ME THE FIRST TIME.)

Little Lefty (July 8-10, 1935)

Uncle John is inadvertently being fairer to Marion Davies than many of the people in her life.

Blondie (From Zero) (March 26-28, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 15, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft's Stunt Is Going To Make Her Count Every Goddamn Penny. And Then She'll Have To Go To The Bank. Yes, This Happened To Me Once. And No, I'm Not Nursing A Grudge About It. Why Do You Ask?

Verdict: death by guillotine.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Chako absolutely loves lobotomizing sentient beings

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Jan 30, 1953)

I had a big laugh at this strip, and it got me thinking: Charlie Brown got dunked on for almost half a century and it worked, but why? It was because we routinely got to see Chuck be a human being and express his frustrations with the world at large, but also with himself. Schultz understood that you needed to routinely dedicate strips to characters engaged in self-reflection, because it gives them a modicum of humanity and makes the broad archetype comedy work in the long term.

In short, this is why Peanuts was great for decades and Dustin can suck the entirety of my rear end.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 15, 2021

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eyyy! Eyyy!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I hope Wimpy gets to gently caress the mermaid.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell plus General Protection Fault in: getting to know the new folks (January 26 - February 1, 2004)

It's interesting to compare how the characters are drawn in the two styles.

(Also check out the polyamorous three piggies and wolf in the group scene there :3: )

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 15, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

gently caress off look at this art

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell plus General Protection Fault in: getting to know

It's interesting to compare how the characters are drawn in the two styles.

(Also check out the polyamorous three piggies and wolf in the group scene there :3: )

The pairings are kind of nifty.
Elephant and Donkey, Moose and Squirrel, Fox and Hen, Tortoise and Hare, Spider and Fly, Mongoose and Cobra.

Pelican and Fish. Well, Finding Nemo was the previous year. Is this our first indication that fish are sentient in this world? It stands to reason, if insects and spiders are, I'm just not sure if there were previous depictions.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Is it just me or is Not Peter Griffin being drawn as much skinnier than before?

Okay this one is really good although I can't help but feel we're supposed to think the operator is the rear end in a top hat, not the pirate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon
a lot of dialogue with no visible hands for an italian.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghostlight posted:

a lot of dialogue with no visible hands for an italian.

They must be from Lombardy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

maltesh posted:

Pelican and Fish. Well, Finding Nemo was the previous year. Is this our first indication that fish are sentient in this world? It stands to reason, if insects and spiders are, I'm just not sure if there were previous depictions.

We had sharks, at least, depicted as either loan sharks (natch) or lawyers.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/14/01

Brenda Starr 5/26-28/47

Smokey Stover 11/21/43

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 10/14/01

Two planes crashed into the World Trade Centre, killing thousands.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (July 10, 1935)

In our hands is placed a power greater than their hoarded gold
Greater than the might of armies magnified a thousandfold
We can bring to birth a new world from the ashes of the old
For the Union makes us strong!

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 05, 1947)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 15, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
And here I was thinking Val had gone an nearly 3 months without getting himself into peril.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 15, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 15, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 15, 1990)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Two planes crashed into the World Trade Centre, killing thousands.

Honestly I'd take Todd the Dinosaur's cartoon on the subject over this week of "you know what I'm talking about".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

They're shape shifters all right

LOOK AT THAT FACE

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 15, 2000)

Jimmy Johnson is such a good writer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Bloop posted:

They're shape shifters all right

LOOK AT THAT FACE

Hapsburgs my droog

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

Penrose may have chosen exactly the wrong person to accompany him on his mission of beast egg destruction. Maggie’s conscience (see Steeple volume 1, chapter 5) is as big as her hair (ie massive).

Here is the relevant panels from issue 5 (split up so as to, hopefully, be legible)

Also, sorry to keep posting from Georgia Dunn's Instagram, but if there are any Rhode Island goons reading this;

Georgia Dunn posted:

The real life BCN Mailman (yes, he is based on a real mailman, my dear friend Nate)’s dog is missing!! Stevie is 11 years old and the beloved pet of Nate’s partner Eve and her daughter Pearl. This weekend the nightmare for all per owners happened—Stevie squeezed under a fence in the Cranston, RI area and has been missing since!

There have been a few sightings, and some folks are even concerned it’s possible someone in the area could have taken Stevie in and not realized he is a much loved pet. (It happens!) If you spot Stevie or see anyone with Stevie, (especially anyone trying to pass him off as their dog… that happens too) please contact the number at the end of this post! He may be missing, he may be taken in, he may be dognapped, but he needs to be home with his family!

I have been trying to get this call for help out on Facebook for a few days now, but I think the algorithms have buried it! That’s why I’m now posting photos here, along with pictures of Nate in the comic when he (coincidentally, strangely enough!) saved baby Beatrix when she was missing! I’m trying to beat the algorithms to get this post in front of the BCN world, to help our resident Mailman!

See the link for more information.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

So Mrs Lord is finally here, and she's quite the glam-bot. I don't think I'm being indiscrete when I tell you that the faculty in Bad Machinery are meant to give the impression that a whole parallel Ryan Beckwith-led series is going on at the same time as Bad Machinery. Perhaps one day I'll have the opportunity to lift that curtain a bit higher.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Sooooo... this was just announced on Tauhid's patreon page:

quote:

BIG News

Like, the biggest! This news is so big I can’t really hold it in any longer. I’ve honestly just been counting the days until I could share this with you guys. But I want to tell my patrons first so, for now, it’s just between us.

Crabgrass is going to be in newspapers.

Yeah, you heard me. The brass ring. The holy grail of all cartoonists (born before 1985). It’s happening. And it’s happening sooner than you think. The fact is Crabgrass has been in development with Andrew’s McMeel (the folks that bring you Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield) since the first strip. This whole time has been spent preparing the comic for its eventual launched in newspapers across the nation. And you were here for I’ll of it. It’s been three years in the making but we’re finally at the last steps. The sales team is gearing up and soon folks will be reading Crabgrass in their favorite newspaper. I feel like I’m not saying it HARD enough. CRABGRASS IS GOING TO BE IN NEWSPAPERS!! There. That’s better.

Also there will be books. You’ve been asking for them and you got ‘em. In fact we’re close to finished putting together the first Crabgrass collection with A&M’s publishing arm. The last month or so has been a blur of getting this enormous ball rolling but things are well on their way. And I want to share my joy with you because you all have been such a large part of making this possible.

Crabgrass is nothing without its readers, especially you Patrons. You are the reason I was able to focus on doing this comic for the last three years and having you in my corner is the only reason being a syndicated cartoonist is a viable career for me. I can’t thank you enough and I sincerely hope you’ll stay with me on this journey.

We did it, you guys. We literally made a dream come true.

:eyepop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

readingatwork posted:

yay!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

It's even worse than that: many banks these days won't even take loose coins anymore, you have to put them into rolls yourself. Or go find a Coinstar machine and turn them into Amazon credit or something, but I don't think there's an entry for that on the restaurant's balance sheet.

And of course, if the penny sock actually is all pennies, there can't possibly be more than a few bucks in there anyway, probably not even enough to cover a halfway-decent tip.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'm so happy for Tauhid, Crabgrass is up there with the best of them.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Awesome, that's great news! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

readingatwork posted: