Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
They're fine really, they're not going to be as smooth and durable as the lacquer and you still don't really want to be huffing the alcohol fumes but I do just fine with a respirator and cracking the window when I want to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I do only car models and mainly I've painted the bodies with Tamiya Spray cans, which are lacquer paints. I've recently got into airbrushing and I've started experimenting with Tamiya lacquers paints that come in the jars. I've used Tamiya acrylic jars for a long time but not for the body but mostly other things like suspension and interior bits.

My question is, do the acrylics work well through an airbrush for painting the body? Is there any noticeable difference between them and the lacquer paints? I don't have very good ventilation in my apartment so I'd prefer to use the acrylics if I can as the lacquers are getting me high as a kite. I know Tamiya acrylics aren't "true" acrylics since they are solvent based and not water based but they still seem to have way less fumes.

I haven’t used the lacquer paints in the jar but the acrylic paints do ok through an airbrush for the body of the car. I tend to use mr hobby leveling thinner with mine to assist with smoothness.

You should look at getting yourself a decent p2 mask for spraying and think about doing it in an area that has plenty of ventilation cause it’s not good to be breathing that poo poo in consistently.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

nitsuga posted:

934 is well under way now, but I really don’t like painting the rubber bits on the car’s body. Some of it went well with the paint marker, some didn’t. I’ve been able to scrape most of the splotches thankfully. Will do more and try smoothing things out with a mini brush.

Are you painting the black trim freehand? That might be why the line isn't smooth. I did a similar 911 model but I masked off the area with tape and got a very clean trim line. You might want to get some Tamiya tape it's safe to put over painted surfaces.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Are you painting the black trim freehand? That might be why the line isn't smooth. I did a similar 911 model but I masked off the area with tape and got a very clean trim line. You might want to get some Tamiya tape it's safe to put over painted surfaces.

Yeah, that was it. I taped things for a second round that turned out a lot better. I’ll plan on starting with that next time. The Tamiya tape really is great.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Grumio posted:

Haven't heard from our resident boat builders in a while, any updates?

I've been restoring a 1917 No. 1 mk. III Lee Enfield from a cut down sporter to its original military configuration. I work on boats in the winter, mainly.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Fearless posted:

I've been restoring a 1917 No. 1 mk. III Lee Enfield from a cut down sporter to its original military configuration. I work on boats in the winter, mainly.

Post it here.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm shocked, I only snapped once piece trying to get this absolutely bastard wiring done.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

As a weird flex for Tamiya tape, we put a temporary cover over the bright led control panel in our bedroom. It gets flipped up and down twice a day, bending the tape along the seam.

Six years later, I finally had to replace the tape as it had split.

Tough stuff!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Done.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm shocked, I only snapped once piece trying to get this absolutely bastard wiring done.

this is beautiful

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've done a number of Revell car models and never really had any issues with the decals. But the decals for this 70 Plymouth AAR Cuda model I'm working on have some weird kind of issue with the glue. I cut them out, dunked them in some water and after about 10 seconds the glue started to coagulate and turn yellow. I applied the decals on the body anyway and I was able to rub away most of this weird yellow glue but there was some on the underside of the decal that I couldnt remove and now it's dried and looks ugly as hell. This is pre clear coat:

Anyone know why it's doing this? Maybe the kit has been sitting around for a long time and they are just old decals. There's probably nothing I can do about these decals but in the future is there anything I can do about this?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Month 4 for the agora models leopard 2a6 done.

I have to be careful of the time I put together the parts due to the tracks requiring a hammer for assembly which isn't a good idea to wield late at night in an apartment. If you look in the lower right corner, you can see the linkage parts that need to be assembled together for making the tracks. Those are currently spares that I suspect will come back to being needed on assembling the last pads together for a full loop. There are three of each for every pack.

Need to catch up on the enterprise d next though. I'm already 2 months behind with it. For some reason, I'm more excited for the leopard though. I guess because it'll be an rc vehicle when it is done instead of a light up display like the enterprise.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Zoukei-Mura is reprinting some of their OOP kits:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1999

Think im gonna grab the 1/48 J7W1

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Month 4 for the agora models leopard 2a6 done.

I have to be careful of the time I put together the parts due to the tracks requiring a hammer for assembly which isn't a good idea to wield late at night in an apartment. If you look in the lower right corner, you can see the linkage parts that need to be assembled together for making the tracks. Those are currently spares that I suspect will come back to being needed on assembling the last pads together for a full loop. There are three of each for every pack.

Need to catch up on the enterprise d next though. I'm already 2 months behind with it. For some reason, I'm more excited for the leopard though. I guess because it'll be an rc vehicle when it is done instead of a light up display like the enterprise.

Those tracks look good. If you're going to run it, I suggest putting some super glue on the outside of the track pieces you hammer on, oval piece with the 2 holes. I had to do that on my Tamiya tracks to keep those pieces on. Or maybe do the maiden run in doors on carpet where you can find them if they fly off? Think I lost all but a few of my spares before I did that. That was 40 years ago, so maybe the tech is better.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarxCarl posted:

Those tracks look good. If you're going to run it, I suggest putting some super glue on the outside of the track pieces you hammer on, oval piece with the 2 holes. I had to do that on my Tamiya tracks to keep those pieces on. Or maybe do the maiden run in doors on carpet where you can find them if they fly off? Think I lost all but a few of my spares before I did that. That was 40 years ago, so maybe the tech is better.

I'll keep that in mind. But of note though, the perfect oval piece is a middle spacer part that floats. There is a gap in each of the sections where it sits while linked to the two rods. The one with the pinched side is an end connector. One is already put on at the factory with two rods. And you are left to thread it through the pad, that spacer oval, the rest of the pad, and then into the other connector that requires a hammer. It seems to be a tight fit for now judge from the jostling around I've done.

Also, I should have mentioned the time table on this project. Agora Models is a subscription type thing. As such, this all the parts I've been given so far. I'm paying for a 12 month subscription for it (there is a 24 month option as well with half the parts per month). Thus, I'm on month 4 of 12. Gonna be a lot more to add to those tracks assuming that is both the left and right side are being assembled in sync.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Has anyone had any issues putting Tamiya tape over Alclad chrome or their other metallic lacquers? I need to mask off an area that has Alclad on it but I'm afraid I'll mess it up with the tape since I don't think it's the most durable paint around.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
put a protective clear coat layer on top of it before masking

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

put a protective clear coat layer on top of it before masking

I was thinking this and I have Alclad Aqua Gloss to cover it with. My issue is the area that I have to mask off will also get a different type of Alclad lacquer over it so is it safe to put Alclad lacquer over Aqua Gloss?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The trick is to stick your tape on your shirt or something to reduce the tackiness before applying it to delicate surfaces.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'll big up K-UTG tape again. Love this stuff, seals just as well or better than Tamiya, lower initial tack than Tamiya, and you get much longer rolls and wider sizes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've completely switched over from Tamiya tape to K-UTG Gold Tape, from FBS. Works just as well as Tamiya, and available up to 3" wide, and much longer than Tamiya rolls. Available at lots of online stores.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I just detack tamiya tape using the back of my thumb normally. Oddly I haven't had a problem with tamiya tape on zero paints stuff even when its kinda fresh. I have had it happen with tamiya spray cans the most even after a good detack.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So Vallejo liquid mask gets pretty gummy in the spout which makes it hard to dispense. So that causes me to just squeeze it harder. Which causes this to happen:

Oops.

The cool thing is it's super easy to clean. Just give it like 15 minutes to solidify and then just roll it with your hand and it becomes a ball of sticky nastiness.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've done that with a paint bottle.

more than once.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit Hasegawa !

I've gotten the panel lining on my VF-25F's wings as good as they;re going to get (not very) so I'm going for the wing decals. This will let me close up the fuselage and make some major strides in assembly.

It's not just that the larger decals break, annoying as that is I have MicroSol and can get things lined up. It sucks that they do, but I can work around. No, it's crazy decal decisions that drive me mad. The trailing edge of the wing has 4 "No Step" warnings. On two decals - A very tiny "no step" on each end of an otherwise totally transparent, inch long, decal. For no reason.

Just give us the loving markings Hasegawa.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 19, 2021

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Trim them down to just the markings?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Another small update on the RC213V. I'm getting closer to having a number of sub assemblies ready to go into the finished kit. The bit I'm happiest with is the chain becuase it is together and in one piece. I am aware that the stand off for the chain isn't centred but I'll double check it when it comes to assembly so that the screw goes thorough the rear swing arm.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Lookin' good, man. Making me want to grab another bike kit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that is some nice looking metal

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit Hasegawa !

I've gotten the panel lining on my VF-25F's wings as good as they;re going to get (not very) so I'm going for the wing decals. This will let me close up the fuselage and make some major strides in assembly.

It's not just that the larger decals break, annoying as that is I have MicroSol and can get things lined up. It sucks that they do, but I can work around. No, it's crazy decal decisions that drive me mad. The trailing edge of the wing has 4 "No Step" warnings. On two decals - A very tiny "no step" on each end of an otherwise totally transparent, inch long, decal. For no reason.

Just give us the loving markings Hasegawa.

The VF-1 decal sheet has you construct each one of the roundels with multiple layers. Someone in their design department is a lunatic or older than dirt.

Just about done with this 1/72 Sherman. Everything beyond the base coats and tiny details were done with pigments, which was a neat change of pace. It needs a little something else, but I'm not quite sure what. Probably a couple more fine splatters around the front and back and a bit of dusting on the lower half.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any of y’all do model trains (or is there a thread)? Getting a under the Christmas tree setup going, and was thinking I might do a small layout after the holidays with the parts.

I swear I’m not 60.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

I've done that with a paint bottle.

Go team. :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've spilled stupid amounts of terrible stuff in my model room, it's a wonder I'm not dead.

Terrible stuff: lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol, brass black, glue, wipe-on poly. Probably more that those fumes made me forget.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

blugu64 posted:

Any of y’all do model trains (or is there a thread)? Getting a under the Christmas tree setup going, and was thinking I might do a small layout after the holidays with the parts.

I swear I’m not 60.

Do you want to go big or small? Scale or tinplate (that's what our kind uses to refer to the more "toy" like ones)? How much are you looking to spend?

I do scale modeling, but dropped a few hundred on Lionel last Christmas. Big enough for the cats to not attack.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I was thinking this and I have Alclad Aqua Gloss to cover it with. My issue is the area that I have to mask off will also get a different type of Alclad lacquer over it so is it safe to put Alclad lacquer over Aqua Gloss?

Not sure if aqua gloss is acrylic or laquer based, but you can airbrush lacquer over lacquer or acrylic if you do light coats.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hello again thread, question for anyone who's had experience with lighted model kits. There's a spaceship that comes in both a clear and normal plastic kit, would you suggest drilling out the dozens of little windows of the opaque plastic or masking both sides of the clear? Neither sounds particularly thrilling, but I'm leaning towards the clear kit. Also, I know I need to black out the inside, but I've also seen comments online suggesting making the interior reflective too, or is that more for the pre-LED days? Any advice appreciated.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sash! posted:

Do you want to go big or small? Scale or tinplate (that's what our kind uses to refer to the more "toy" like ones)? How much are you looking to spend?

I do scale modeling, but dropped a few hundred on Lionel last Christmas. Big enough for the cats to not attack.

N scale. Starting with a 4’ x 4’ boards around the tree, but kinda going from there. Went with Kato Unitrack and a basic set + expansion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hello again thread, question for anyone who's had experience with lighted model kits. There's a spaceship that comes in both a clear and normal plastic kit, would you suggest drilling out the dozens of little windows of the opaque plastic or masking both sides of the clear? Neither sounds particularly thrilling, but I'm leaning towards the clear kit. Also, I know I need to black out the inside, but I've also seen comments online suggesting making the interior reflective too, or is that more for the pre-LED days? Any advice appreciated.

as someone still working on a non-clear romulan warbird with like 400 holes to drill

get the clear kit

also paint the insides. I dont know how effective reflective paint is but my experiments in using polished foil as a leaf coating of the interior showed it doesn't work well with hole drilling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've never tried it, but would a clear kit allow you to easily angle the lights so that the interior is illuminated from the correct direction?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i just use toothpicks and hotglue to slightly elevate/angle the LEDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

blugu64 posted:

N scale. Starting with a 4’ x 4’ boards around the tree, but kinda going from there. Went with Kato Unitrack and a basic set + expansion.

I haven't really seen N scale running around a tree before. No reason you can't, of course, and it might actually have some advantages compared to other scales. For instance, you can have a double tracked line and there's no way you can do that with any other scale in that space.

Are you doing one 4x4 square? If so, may I suggest using two 2x4 panels bolted together. That way, if you decide to expand in the near term, you can use the two panels as the ends of bigger loop or segments of more linear layout.