Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

who the gently caress is dave chappelle

Time to log off from your compuserv account, grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

indigi posted:

I’ve only seen a few of zahler’s movies but I did notice that all the minority actors were playing bad guys/morally corrupt characters. like yeah he portrays racist white guys as bad but like. cmon. fun flicks though

This is not true

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Good soup! posted:

i will not, actually

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Good soup! posted:

Mfer posting from a jitterbug

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

LGD posted:

that you're helpfully getting KJU's exclusive pop culture takes raw and unfiltered via state media?

idk that even people on the NK-defector-propaganda-train are telling people they execute people over smuggled dvds anymore - the last one I watched told an amusing anecdote about a kid he went to school with getting sent home without a shirt because he'd worn imported surplus Team USA Olympic gear he bought at a market without recognizing/connecting the gigantic "USA" english lettering on the front with the public depictions of the U.S. (but that was the extent to which anything happened)

This is why I enjoy watching Yeonmi Park, because she'll just make things up like "North Koreans don't learn the truth about cars until they're adults. Children are taught that they are magic beasts, tamed through the power of Juche" or "North Koreans don't know Africa exists, and think that all black people are American" or 'There is no word for 'Love' in North Korean. I didn't learn people could love one another until I came to America" and folks in the West will just nod and say "the horrors this poor woman has gone through"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is why I enjoy watching Yeonmi Park, because she'll just make things up like "North Koreans don't learn the truth about cars until they're adults. Children are taught that they are magic beasts, tamed through the power of Juche" or "North Koreans don't know Africa exists, and think that all black people are American" or 'There is no word for 'Love' in North Korean. I didn't learn people could love one another until I came to America" and folks in the West will just nod and say "the horrors this poor woman has gone through"

Her interview with Rogan was hilarious. She was talking about how North Koreans had to move around a 5,000+ ton train around the country by hand to go places.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

lol at her wikipedia article especially how she ended up being a popular Fox News guest

quote:

Park described her education at Columbia University as "brainwashing", citing examples such as learning gender-neutral pronouns to not offend anyone of different sexual orientation. [41][42] She then said on Fox Business that "our education system is brainwashing our children to make them think that this country is racist and make them believe that they are victims. It’s time for us to fight back. Otherwise, it might be too late for us to bring the glory of this country back."[43]

She believes the U.S. is a "tolerant country" and she criticized American track and field athlete Gwen Berry for turning away from the national anthem at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in protest of racial and social injustices.[44] In the summer of 2020, during the George Floyd protests in Chicago, Park and her son were attacked and robbed by three African-American women while white bystanders prevented her from calling the police. Park described to Joe Rogan how she is "speaking out" and becoming "the enemy of the woke" when one of the black women who robbed Park scolded her for equating her skin color to a thief.

The white bystanders at their stores also agreed with them and did not come to her rescue. The police managed to apprehend one of the three perpetrators, Lecretia Harris, she pleaded guilty to unlawful restraint, but prosecutors dropped the robbery charge as part of the plea deal.[45] However, among other discrepancies, CWBChicago reports that the perpetrators of the robbery alleged to have involved Park were in fact Lecretia Harris and another man, not three black women.[46]

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Judakel posted:

Mfer posting from a jitterbug

ALL. SENIOR. CITIZENS. SHOULD. HAVE. LIFE. ALERT.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/snyder_all/status/1448995922843684868

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Apparently its called Morbid

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

glad to see you've joined team snyder, welcome to the cult comrade

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Communist Thoughts posted:

That's not the true crime podcast my partner listens to but the one she does is these two American women going "ohmigawd, I love her glasses they're like SO cute. She looks like, a real 90s kid you know?
Anyway her body was never found but her 6 year old brother did find her severed head in their pool and killed himself"

Is this the Redscarepod?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Soyfacing over someone being murdered.

https://i.imgur.com/M0BSoTd.mp4

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1448751386062200832

daniels right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he was probably part of the problem. I’ve been going to bars since I was literally 13 and have never seen a fight take place in one. maybe it’s different on nonce island

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

he was probably part of the problem. I’ve been going to bars since I was literally 13 and have never seen a fight take place in one. maybe it’s different on nonce island

oi i'll fookin glass ya ya bloody pillock.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"yeah it's cause of all the fighting i swear"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
While it's not a political priority by any stretch, I'd like to see mass media be good with race, gender, and identity without a making a huge show of how good they are with handling race, gender, and identity.

(hey, sometimes I like to naivepost)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

coathat posted:

This is not true

Bone Tomahawk had some uhhhhh interesting choices with the natives

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

glad to see you've joined team snyder, welcome to the cult comrade

i just... why are you people like this?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

indigi posted:

lol did you grow up as a newsie selling papes for a penny each?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Echo Chamber posted:

While it's not a political priority by any stretch, I'd like to see mass media be good with race, gender, and identity without a making a huge show of how good they are with handling race, gender, and identity.

(hey, sometimes I like to naivepost)

good news, the fast and furious franchise is here for you

for example: f9 credits order
dom: mixed race man
letty: latina woman
mia: latina woman
roman: african american man
tej: african american man
ramsey: african american woman
cipher (secondary villain): white african american woman
jakob (villain): white man
han: korean man
elle: japanese woman

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Oct 15, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
BK Kids Club has you covered.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Oct 15, 2021

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

sat on my keys! posted:

a lot of women into this stuff imagine it's teaching them to "protect themselves" from rapists, murderers, and other unsavoury characters, like you'll learn how to spot the Ted Bundys among us by listening to enough podcasts. not to say violence against women isn't real but the lurid framing of a lot of the genre highlights crimes that are statistically very rare. thinking "true crime" is often exploitative and gross means you don't want women to be able to protect themselves!!

this explains the current paranoia over getting 'trafficked'. its amazing how many grown rear end women think every little thing is a sign theyre about to get shipped off to eastern europe or whatever the gently caress

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lol is that a shutterstock photo of a murder victim

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The most uncomfortable part of the movie for me was the entire subplot with Jennifer Carpenter, but I just told myself that that was part of the genre that the film was set in/was emulating.

yeah that was what i was thinking of wrt to comparing him to von trier- "oh you were gonna give a poo poo about this character? gently caress You"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lol is that a shutterstock photo of a murder victim
yeah that's why I assumed it wasn't real. If it turns out to be real I'll edit it out

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Oct 15, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BK Kids Club has you covered.

Yea they're defined by their mutual love of Whoppers, not their identity. Well, except for Wheels.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i've heard that interest in true crime went way up after the oj simpson case. it might've died out afterwards but the jonbenet ramsey case happened right after and it was enough to form a sustaining interest. although, looking it up now, both unsolved mysteries with Robert Stack and the original Law and Order premiered around 1990, a good 4 years before the OJ case, so there was already a bit of kindling there.

anyways, i feel like the appeal of true crime isn't hard to understand: people like mysteries and the best true crime cases are classic whodunnits, full of potential clues and complete with various grotesque characters. people making cheery podcasts about murder cases is definitely a little perverse but i mean, this forum's background is a picture of a deadly riot at the us capitol lol

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

First season of Crimetown was pretty loving good. It isn't about a murder mystery, instead focusing on corruption and organized crime, but it does contain both murders and mystery.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

this explains the current paranoia over getting 'trafficked'. its amazing how many grown rear end women think every little thing is a sign theyre about to get shipped off to eastern europe or whatever the gently caress

the idea that there are international criminal syndicates planning to human traffic doughy suburban moms from the target parking lot is completely bizarre to me.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

all these trafficking "experts" get the whole supply chain wrong

the Eastern European girls get trafficked into the US

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol did you grow up as a newsie selling papes for a penny each?

basically. we knew what places didn’t care about checking IDs as long as you were buying something. I was smoking cigarettes at 11

they wouldn’t let you in on a school night though so they had some morals

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The 2018 Halloween movie owns for having Michael Myers kill a couple of true crime podcasters.

e: editing because I don't call death to podcasters. Just that they should get their rear end kicked in movies

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Oct 16, 2021

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

meet his producer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZPGoeUos4

who did Ben Shapiro's movie as well.

gently caress S. Craig Zahler. And his lovely racist garbage masquerading as neo-grindhouse.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I liked the part in the one movie where Vince Vaughan stomps a guys head off or something. that was fun. also lol buying Vince Vaughan as a golden glove boxer but it worked somehow

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

indigi posted:

I liked the part in the one movie where Vince Vaughan stomps a guys head off or something. that was fun. also lol buying Vince Vaughan as a golden glove boxer but it worked somehow

He was Norman Bates in the lovely Psycho remake. It's funny to think about.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

yeah at first i thought vaughn just loving sucked, terrible casting, but it just takes a minute to get on the same off-kilter wavelength its trying for. i ended up thinking he was really good, probably for the first time ever in his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Bone Tomahawk had some uhhhhh interesting choices with the natives

Yes having a native american being recognized as the most educated character is interesting.