Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... it's not over yet.
Cannonkeys is doing extras for the deskmats soon I think...

MKEU still has preorders open...
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/keycaps/epbt_221/

:stare:

i don't need it i don't need it i don't need it i already have 2 other sets and around $500 floating around in the GB aether cloud right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Unsinkabear posted:

This was actually my initial plan, I even asked Royal Kludge if they had a numpad coming (no luck). But all the discrete numpads I found in my initial searching either had reports of jankiness over time, chiclet keys with microscopic travel, or price tags almost as high as a full keyboard from the same manufacturer. And forget making them match if you don't go the latter route.

Also, some people seem to dislike the numpad drifting around the desk separately and not always being in the same place relative to your home keys. I don't know how much of a problem that actually is, but I can imagine myself being grumpy about it some days, so that also made the integrated left side more appealing. I can def settle for 75% + separate pad on the left if I have to, though

Good to know. Maybe trying to do that at such a low price point is what sunk it?

Just get a small form factor gaming keyboard and a second work keyboard, it'll be fine I promise.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

interrodactyl posted:

Just get a small form factor gaming keyboard and a second work keyboard, it'll be fine I promise.

You're all terrible influences.

Stroop There It Is posted:

I mean, my Varmilo numpad is... fine? if you just want a standard mech numpad. I got it used from mk.com for like $20 though so maybe you wouldn't want to pay more like $50 for one. And obv it's prebuilt and not a kit.

Thanks, dunno how I missed these. I don't see any used ones, but the new ones still seem to be a pretty good deal (prebuilt is preferred, lol). I found several cute ones for $50 or less... there are almost too many keycap options and pad variants to scroll through, actually.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Good to know. Maybe trying to do that at such a low price point is what sunk it?

Probably the opposite, it had a MSRP of $200. Added, Cooler Master, I think, didn't know how to market it well. Like, not a gaming board, really more of an enthusiast board for someone who knows what's up. It launched back in 2014 and was discontinued in 2016. I've spoken with someone who has spoken with the person at Cooler Master that was largely responsible for it and it was definitely a labor of love project for them. Ya, I know, large game of hearsay there.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Can anyone rec a cute 60% keyboard? I'm flexible on the price point, just want something with a nice look that I can take with me on the go.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The Electronaut posted:

Probably the opposite, it had a MSRP of $200. Added, Cooler Master, I think, didn't know how to market it well. Like, not a gaming board, really more of an enthusiast board for someone who knows what's up. It launched back in 2014 and was discontinued in 2016. I've spoken with someone who has spoken with the person at Cooler Master that was largely responsible for it and it was definitely a labor of love project for them. Ya, I know, large game of hearsay there.

Weird, for some reason I had it in my head that it cost half that. Thank you for the backstory, even if it is a little sad.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 15, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doc Fission posted:

Can anyone rec a cute 60% keyboard? I'm flexible on the price point, just want something with a nice look that I can take with me on the go.

The tm680 seems to be a current community darling and comes in a sparkly teal they call "tiffany". It's 65% rather than 60 but it's got the highest cuteness factor I've seen recently

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

mewse posted:

The tm680 seems to be a current community darling and comes in a sparkly teal they call "tiffany". It's 65% rather than 60 but it's got the highest cuteness factor I've seen recently

Wowzers, it IS cute. I need to start thinking through which keycaps I'd match with it but otherwise TY for the link!

Will accept other recs too in the meantime :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

These are both gorgeous but they have the numpad on the right side. What got me so excited about the Epomaker is the very compact right side and the numpad on the left. It's confusingly listed on the same page as the (completely different) traditional layout, with only one letter different between their names, but you can see it here:

I want to be able to play shooters with nothing in the way of my mouse hand, and also simultaneously mouse and numpad when working in excel. It looks glorious. Is there anything else out there with a layout like that?

The Viendi 8L is entering group buy on the 22nd for a whopping $388 before tax and shipping, and the EXT65 from AeKeyboards via Keyboard Treehouse is going into round 2 soon - but these are 65% layouts with southpaw numpad so don't have the f-row in case using a separate layer for those is a no-go.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Wowzers, it IS cute. I need to start thinking through which keycaps I'd match with it but otherwise TY for the link!

Will accept other recs too in the meantime :)

Not really high on the cute factor, but VERY high in the quality-for-the-price is the Bakeneko60: https://cannonkeys.com/products/bakeneko-60?variant=39314464800879

They restock every few weeks and sell out pretty quick, but they are incredible value.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Do you have one of these? It looks like a cheaper GMMK pro which is very appealing. Is it possible to reprogram the 3 buttons at the side? I need regular access to both numbers and a F2 so Fn access is inconvenient.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ijyt posted:

The Viendi 8L is entering group buy on the 22nd for a whopping $388 before tax and shipping, and the EXT65 from AeKeyboards via Keyboard Treehouse is going into round 2 soon - but these are 65% layouts with southpaw numpad so don't have the f-row in case using a separate layer for those is a no-go.

It's not a deal breaker but the f-row is definitely preferred. I use the volume, media, and mic controls there daily. Some games use F1-F4 for quick target selection or un-mappable things like scoreboard. And I also use tilde in report-writing, which tends to get dropped so the the escape key can move down on those 60-65% layouts.

I know not everyone does all of that, but it's odd to me that people still want to drop that f-row on boards that include arrows and a numpad and are essentially just compact fullsize. It seems like it's just being done as a checkbox item because it's the fashion right now, without much actual consideration being given to how it fits into those particular designs and their productivity-focused use case. Is it just about the aesthetic? Because even there, to my eye the numpad but no f-row style looks oddly looooooong.

Anyway, that's my morning rant. How does using a separate layer for all that stuff I mentioned initially work? It must be less of a hassle than I'm imagining for this to be so common.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 15, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Weird, for some reason I had it in my head that it cost half that. Thank you for the backstory, even if it is a little sad.

No worries, thank you for thanking, I feel sometimes responses just disappear into the void.

I’ve used a mechanical since around 2013 or 2014, and fell down the rabbit hole in 2017. While there’s a bit of this info on Desk Authority and other places, really what finished out the picture was my speaking with the previously mentioned person last year. Around then I actually picked up a new Novatouch from the remaining stock Originative bought out from CM. Its gut sits in a Norbatouch at the moment along with a Masterkeys Pro S in another.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm doing it now on a 65% and its basically holding (or toggling if you prefer) an extra key that you bind in VIA to switch layer.

Alt F4 becomes Fn Alt F4 for example. I also don't get removing the F-row (don't get me started on 40% keyboards) but it's kinda helpful for me as I don't have a lot of vertical desk space atm due to a graphics display tablet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Do you have one of these? It looks like a cheaper GMMK pro which is very appealing. Is it possible to reprogram the 3 buttons at the side? I need regular access to both numbers and a F2 so Fn access is inconvenient.

I don't have one. The seller claims they can send you software to remap keys but it's a crapshoot with random asian stuff.. it might get QMK support down the road

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

Tofu60 and some nice keycaps.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Keychron might be the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I ordered a K10 end of September, got it last Friday. Charged it all up, played with the LEDs, etc. Connected it to my laptop via Bluetooth and from anything more than a foot or so, the bluetooth just sucks. Dropping connections, repeated keystrokes, just not working at all. Then I noticed a high pitched whine from the LEDs too.

I contacted support on Tuesday. First they asked me to take a video of the BT not working. Then they asked me if it worked on other things like my phone. Then whether it worked on the cable.

They offered me a 50% discount if I just used it on cable, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a wireless keyboard.

I asked for a refund again, and they asked me if the LED problem happened when it was on the cable. Yes, it happens when the LEDs are on. So to recap, Bluetooth LED Keyboard where the Bluetooth and LEDs are busted.

They tried to get me to take the 50% refund again, and I told them I want a full refund or I'd be doing a chargeback.

It's been a week since I got this thing, and I went back to my wired keyboard after a day. They have a 7 day return policy and I feel like they're just trying to run out the clock. So I'm doing a chargeback now, which is going to take a month. Why is it so hard to stand behind the product? "Oh, I'm sorry to hear your Bluetooth isn't working. We can send a replacement or do a full refund". That's all I wanted.

Anyway. Suck it Keychron. Open to suggestions on a good wireless keyboard - I want to be able to switch between profiles easily, since I use it on my work laptop and my home PC. Mechanical (obviously) - I'm using Cherry Reds right now, something similar would be great. Full size is my preference, I use the numpad a lot. LEDs would also be nice, it's going to be winter soon and that means like 18 hours of darkness per day here in the north.

Antioch fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 15, 2021

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... it's not over yet.
Cannonkeys is doing extras for the deskmats soon I think...

MKEU still has preorders open...
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/keycaps/epbt_221/

oh poo poo! maybe it was another good vaporwave set I missed out on

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There are no good wireless mechanical keyboards, unfortunately. And yeah after mulling it over I decided buying a K2 was a mistake and returned it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of keychron they've announced the Q2 (the 65% version of the Q1) and what is going on here

insert key just floating off into space for some reason

mewse
May 2, 2006

repiv posted:

speaking of keychron they've announced the Q2 (the 65% version of the Q1) and what is going on here

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

My guess is that it's supposed to show off a novelty or artisan? But agree that the placement is weird

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I suppose it could be for a knob option like the Q1, but they still haven't actually released the Q1 knob PCB yet

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Antioch posted:

I've had this experience as well. The USB mode stopped working after 6mo on a K4 I bought, and wouldn't ya know it? Must be my fault somehow.

Never buying keychron again

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've just ordered some tangerines and switch films, and got some 55g springs to mod some of my extra U4's with :shepspend:

I do NOT need another hobby like this after photography and 40K jfc,

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I've had this experience as well. The USB mode stopped working after 6mo on a K4 I bought, and wouldn't ya know it? Must be my fault somehow.

Every interaction I've had with Royal Kludge support has been wonderful. While I haven't asked to return this one yet and don't know if I will, I do notice their return policy is 30 days from delivery. That's the best I've seen anywhere so far, so I'd be surprised if they were dicks about it. They also somehow got my $75 free shipping keyboard to me from halfway across the world in like... three days.

I know I'm new here, but I vote we make them the new value pick. :shrug:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I tried to use a keychron and realized it didn’t work, tried to return it and they said sell it to someone else.

Never buying from them again either.

I’m waiting on kiwis and bobas with 62 gram springs before I order a board and considering my options. I still think GMMk pro is probably the right call, but the pro community calling it a good “budget board” has me being a moron feeling peer pressure lol.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 15, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I tried to use a keychron and realized it didn’t work, tried to return it and they said sell it to someone else.

Never buying from them again either.

E. That'll teach me to read

Unsinkabear posted:

Every interaction I've had with Royal Kludge support has been wonderful. While I haven't asked to return this one yet and don't know if I will, I do notice their return policy is 30 days from delivery. That's the best I've seen anywhere so far, so I'd be surprised if they were dicks about it. They also somehow got my $75 free shipping keyboard to me from halfway across the world in like... three days.

I know I'm new here, but I vote we make them the new value pick. :shrug:

Hey, I'm glad you're experience was good, truly! When the board worked, it was nice enough, and I'm not about to denigrate or deny a good experience like yours

But a keyboard that did nothing but sit on a desk and never get unplugged/used lightly shouldn't have core features like "connecting to a computer" break. It's a design flaw, and one that should be easy to fix. It's a bit baffling as they have a support page specifically for this issue and many complaints on Reddit

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 15, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lmao holy poo poo

"Uhhhh it's broken, so you should fleece someone else to get your money back"

Wow.

Sorry, to clarify it didn’t work for me. It wasn’t hot swappable, and I hated the switches.

So it wasn’t that it was broken. Still, no return within two days of me getting it? WTF.

Gave it to my brother who likes it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

suddenly feeling more glad that i cancelled my Q1 pre-order and got the GMMK Pro instead

despite its stupid faults with the stabilizers still being terrible after multiple batches

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Are the posts above conflating keychron and royal kludge? Are they the same company?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

E. That'll teach me to read

Hey, I'm glad you're experience was good, truly! When the board worked, it was nice enough, and I'm not about to denigrate or deny a good experience like yours

But a keyboard that did nothing but sit on a desk and never get unplugged/used lightly shouldn't have core features like "connecting to a computer" break. It's a design flaw, and one that should be easy to fix. It's a bit baffling as they have a support page specifically for this issue and many complaints on Reddit

To clarify, Royal Kludge is an entirely different brand that I was directed to buy instead of Keychron (by YouTube, not the thread) for these exact reasons (edit: *quality control issues in general, I didn't need the bluetooth personally but apparently there are other snags you can get as well). I believe you and agree that it's garbage, and I'm saying let's all take the collective bitching a step further and actively stop recommending Keychron to budget-seeking newcomers because of this. Especially when there are other brands that don't hate their customers. Royal Kludge and the RK84 have been my personal positive experience, but hopefully they're not the only ones.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 15, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mewse posted:

Are the posts above conflating keychron and royal kludge? Are they the same company?

I need sleep, just disregard.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I need sleep, just disregard.

Too late, already rambled :cripes:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Antioch posted:

I ordered a K10 end of September, got it last Friday. Charged it all up, played with the LEDs, etc. Connected it to my laptop via Bluetooth and from anything more than a foot or so, the bluetooth just sucks. Dropping connections, repeated keystrokes, just not working at all. Then I noticed a high pitched whine from the LEDs too.

I contacted support on Tuesday. First they asked me to take a video of the BT not working. Then they asked me if it worked on other things like my phone. Then whether it worked on the cable.

They offered me a 50% discount if I just used it on cable, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a wireless keyboard.

I asked for a refund again, and they asked me if the LED problem happened when it was on the cable. Yes, it happens when the LEDs are on. So to recap, Bluetooth LED Keyboard where the Bluetooth and LEDs are busted.

They tried to get me to take the 50% refund again, and I told them I want a full refund or I'd be doing a chargeback.

It's been a week since I got this thing, and I went back to my wired keyboard after a day. They have a 7 day return policy and I feel like they're just trying to run out the clock. So I'm doing a chargeback now, which is going to take a month. Why is it so hard to stand behind the product? "Oh, I'm sorry to hear your Bluetooth isn't working. We can send a replacement or do a full refund". That's all I wanted.

Anyway. Suck it Keychron. Open to suggestions on a good wireless keyboard - I want to be able to switch between profiles easily, since I use it on my work laptop and my home PC. Mechanical (obviously) - I'm using Cherry Reds right now, something similar would be great. Full size is my preference, I use the numpad a lot. LEDs would also be nice, it's going to be winter soon and that means like 18 hours of darkness per day here in the north.

I had a not dissimilar experience with a happier ending a year back; I bought a K8 and after about two months, two columns of keys (F3 down to C, and F4 down to V iirc) just completely stopped working in any mode.

Went through the same "Send us a video of it not working" rigamarole, and after a few back and forths I flatly told them that I expected a full replacement, not individual parts that I would have to disassemble the board to replace, and a few days later they shipped me a new keyboard.

Never asked for the old one returned, so I have an 80% functional K8 sitting in a box too.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 16, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

FWIW the Keychron C2 I got for my non-enthusiast husband has been totally fine. Very glad that has been the case with what y'all have been saying about their customer support!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Too late, already rambled :cripes:

Friend, everything's cool and good, no worries haha

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Stroop There It Is posted:

FWIW the Keychron C2 I got for my non-enthusiast husband has been totally fine. Very glad that has been the case with what y'all have been saying about their customer support!

Yeah I must have dodged a bullet with my K2 and K12. Both work flawlessly out of the box. But I didn’t have any issues that required contacting customer support and that seems to be what people are having issues with.

Guess I got lucky?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Either that or we got unlucky

Can't imagine customer service for a thing as nerdy as keebs is a day at the beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I had an issue where the ctrl key on my Kickstarter K3 died and they required a video and a ton of back and forth to even acknowledge that it was an issue. I had to basically threaten to drag them on social media for them to try to fix the issue and ship me a working one. I volunteered to send the old one back but :shrug:

Keychron: decent if you never have to talk to anyone there