Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RBX posted:

Yes they really should've had a currency exchange in the subtitles for us foreigners.

It doesn't help that wons are worth so little that you constantly have super high inflated numbers. Borrowing 10.000 won sounds a lot more significant than borrowing $8.44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The way I heard it described, at least with Yen, is that it's like me saying "can I borrow 10,000 pennies" instead of $100.

As for the Old Man, he was safe in any game where a circle minion was determining his fate. He wasn't killed in the marble game, so he wouldn't have been killed for breaking his umbrella. Like's already been said, all they'd have to do is wait until the last winner left and then kill everyone except the Old Man. If we could have differentiated between minions, then we'd probably have seen the same guy assigned to the Old Man in every game. He did well in both Redlight, Greenlight and tug-of-war, but knew what to expect ahead of time. Part of his thrill was the risk, but he was also enjoying watching everyone risk their lives from the perspective of another contestant rather than a spectator.

This show is already a monster hit, I wonder if it would have been bigger or smaller had Netflix released episodes every week instead of all at once.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Is gang activity as common as Korean media makes it appear? Or do K-dramas love throwing gangsters and loan sharks in all over the place as a quick and easy character archetype? I haven't watched a lot of Korean shows and movies, but I think all of them except Parasite had a gangster in the cast or at least someone who was having trouble with gangsters.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It's one of the easiest conversions possible: just chop off the last three zeros. ₩10,000 is about $10. That is how I did it when I was in Korea shortly before the plandemic.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I don't think old guy cared about 'cheating', he just wanted to have fun. He wouldn't let himself be shot because he wanted to watch the rest of the series. I find it interesting that he voted to stop the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

temple posted:

I don't think old guy cared about 'cheating', he just wanted to have fun. He wouldn't let himself be shot because he wanted to watch the rest of the series. I find it interesting that he voted to stop the game.

He'd run tons of these by this point he KNOWS full well that people will come crawling back after ending the game. Of course he'd vote to end it, it makes it all the sweeter when they return to die.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The more I think about it, the more the old man twist annoys me and seems pointless. I don't think it added enough to the overall story or themes.

I would have preferred if he'd just been a sick old man, and had actually sacrificed himself in the marble game. Could have been a powerful moment if he'd decided to do it because he was given a chance by Gi-hun the previous games, when most others had ignored him and seen him as old and useless. To have a chance of solving some of modern societies problems like climate change, we're going to need people to make sacrifices to give future generations a better chance.

The old man dieing in the marble games was perfect for Gi Hun's character development. It was a perfect parallel of his relationship with his mother. Gi Hun cheated against the old man to take his marbles (stole the credit card from his mother), and then is confronted by the old man knowing all along that he cheated (his mother reminding him of how he canceled their social security to go gambling) only for the old man to sacrifice despite everything and give him his last marble (his mother hiding the fact that she has diabetes to keep on working to provide for him).

You could probably argue that the twist serves the purpose of testing Gi Hun's character growth, but it does so at the cost of an otherwise perfect moment

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

RBX posted:

nothing they did or said seemed implausible unless you're really naive.

oh brother :rolleye:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
The English dubbing is so bad my wife and I almost gave up on the show 30 minutes in. Just awful, distracting. Had to turn dubbing off and subtitles on to save it, I can't imagine why that's not the default.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The whole security apparatus on the island seemed...bad? Like the facial scanner in The Mandalorian that only looked for prohibited faces rather than permitted ones. They can track every air tank in the dive cave, but any Kim, Park, Lee, or Choi can put on someone else's mask and gain unfettered access to high security areas.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RBX posted:

The complaining about the VIPs is amusing. Is it because they're American? They're speaking English but in a Korean dialect which tells me it's on purpose for the Korean/foreign audience to easily understand what they've saying.....but it's also funny. I think of most hyper rich dudes behind closed doors act like Tom Cruise on Oprah that time. nothing they did or said seemed implausible unless you're really naive.

I don't think anyone is confused that they were going for 'weird out-of-touch billionaire' but they simply did a poor job of it. The performances were just not good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

jackpot posted:

The English dubbing is so bad my wife and I almost gave up on the show 30 minutes in. Just awful, distracting. Had to turn dubbing off and subtitles on to save it, I can't imagine why that's not the default.

I dunno what Netflix’s stats on foreign shows is, but back in the day when anime used to be sold in separate subbed and dubbed versions, the dubbed versions would usually outsell the subbed version by 3 to 1

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

The whole security apparatus on the island seemed...bad? Like the facial scanner in The Mandalorian that only looked for prohibited faces rather than permitted ones. They can track every air tank in the dive cave, but any Kim, Park, Lee, or Choi can put on someone else's mask and gain unfettered access to high security areas.

In-universe justification could be that mook's security devices do not have other mook's face records to keep with the whole anonimity thing. Buuuuut, since they implanted players with some sort of tracking/ID device, you'd assume mooks would have the same instead of their ID's being tied to their masks.

The real reason is plot convenience, otherwise the cop would be detected 5 minutes into infiltrating and that would be the end of that storyline.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

In-universe justification could be that mook's security devices do not have other mook's face records to keep with the whole anonimity thing. Buuuuut, since they implanted players with some sort of tracking/ID device, you'd assume mooks would have the same instead of their ID's being tied to their masks.

The real reason is plot convenience, otherwise the cop would be detected 5 minutes into infiltrating and that would be the end of that storyline.

Facebook linked employee badges to their social media platform so when the site went down so did their building security access, so honestly the stupidest security system in the world isn't the most unrealistic part of Squid Game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
One of thje billionaires was clearly chinese, spoke mandarin and everything. One of them sounded euro. Clearly intended to simply be an epstein-esque cohort of plutocrats.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Smythe posted:

One of thje billionaires was clearly chinese, spoke mandarin and everything. One of them sounded euro. Clearly intended to simply be an epstein-esque cohort of plutocrats.
He spoke bad Mandarin, if anyone else was wondering. Like it was his second language. Korea Hollywood, like real Hollywood, doesn’t care about getting the Chinese right.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RBX posted:

The complaining about the VIPs is amusing. Is it because they're American? They're speaking English but in a Korean dialect which tells me it's on purpose for the Korean/foreign audience to easily understand what they've saying.....but it's also funny. I think of most hyper rich dudes behind closed doors act like Tom Cruise on Oprah that time. nothing they did or said seemed implausible unless you're really naive.
What do you think the word dialect means?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Vegetable posted:

He spoke bad Mandarin, if anyone else was wondering. Like it was his second language. Korea Hollywood, like real Hollywood, doesn’t care about getting the Chinese right.

lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

having a terrible security system that is easily infiltrated and subverted is more realistic

that they left the dive tanks there so that they can be used later is :discourse:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also people joke about the mask hierarchy and poo poo but that's accurate social commentary

real life literally works like that where you put on a costume designating your social status and suddenly everyone must respect you or can poo poo on you lmao

many people have escaped prisons using costumes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For example, if you are dressed like a waiter, that means people of any economic status can come in to your place of work, verbally abuse you, and then decide how much you get paid based on how much you groveled to them

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

For example, if you are dressed like a waiter, that means people of any economic status can come in to your place of work, verbally abuse you, and then decide how much you get paid based on how much you groveled to them

And in turn the waiter is allowed to gently caress with your food. It’s a delicate roleplaying ballet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm really tempted to try and grab one of these pink soldier costumes off Amazon with a square face mask but something tells me it's going to be late if I did since it's coming from China. It says it'll arrive before Halloween but I have my doubts...

Also, it's not like I have a Halloween party to go to but a stupid part of me thinks it would be pretty fun to go to work and drive around town in that get up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just wanted to chime in, for anyone just starting this show, like me, I just wanted reiterate what has been said probably many times before; I'm really enjoying this show in it's native Korean. I tried the English dub for a few minutes but was put off almost immediately by it. This surprised me as I'm usually a huge baby with an idiot brain that doesn't like subtitles, but I found myself quickly adapted to it. It forces me to pay more attention to what's going on and try to listen to the inflection and tone of the actors.

So if you're hesitant or worried you won't be able to follow along without an English dub; please do not worry. If I can enjoy it (remember: idiot brained baby here), you can too!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like dubs often for animation but it's way way too jarring with live action. Even if the acting is good I can't deal with the disconnect.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm pretty flexible when it comes to dubs vs subs though I usually prefer dubs just because I like to shitpost/play MOO2 while watching most TV. But in this case the subs really are a must. Not only is the acting bad, everyone sounds the same to the point where it can be hard to tell who is talking unless you are looking at the screen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 15, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Regarding the VIPs the one thing that striked me as odd in-universe is that they continue on to watch the final game as if the facilities had not been infiltrated by a police and almost killed one of them. I wouldn't expect them to go into a panic at the prospect of being exposed since they are probably so rich they believe they can bribe their way out, but at the very least with how they were portrayed you'd expect them to go "call your manager" mode and demand someone pay for that incident

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Binged the series last week, loved it. Only thought to look for a thread on it today and quickly read through it.

Steve Yun posted:

Episode 9: Gihun gets offered ways to make more money by the bank.

I was struck by the idea that when you have money people give you more money

This is one of my favorite scenes in the series.

Consider Gihun in the first episode. He has no money. He asks for $10. No one will give it to him. In order to get $10 he gets slapped in the face over and over and over and over again.

Fast forward to the final episode. He now has more money than he knows what to do with. He asks for $10. The banker gives it to him no questions asked.

He's given money because he has money.

ymgve posted:

In the final episode, I totally expected that 456 would run out and help the freezing man himself, which would have been a nice "gently caress you" to the old man and his horrible bet. Sad that it didn't happen.

This was my full expectation as well. I initially hated that scene and thought it was wildly out of character for him.

After having a few days to digest it, the Squid Game only exists because the VIPs bet on the outcome. The VIPs voyeuristically watch behind a pane of glass, betting on the lives of people. They fully have the power to stop these games, but don't, because they have a vested interest in watching them play out.

Without realizing it, Gihun has become just like them, voyeuristically watching behind a pane of glass, betting on someone's life. He has the power to go downstairs himself and save that man, but he doesn't, because he has a vested interest in watching the scenario play out.

It's such a subtly sinister final play by the old man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
More random notes

Files:
When the detective is rummaging through all the old files, we see that the games started in 1988, but that they’re called “The Sixth Round” which suggests that they’re part of a series of games around the world (reinforced by one of the VIPs saying that the Korean games are particularly great this year

The shelves from the early years held lots of Betamax tapes, giant videotapes used by broadcasters during the 90’s and early 2000’s. I appreciate the historical accuracy!

The filing system and formatting changes over the years, a very nice subtle touch, because who doesn’t change filing systems and formatting over the course of 3 decades

The spines of some of the file folders say “Squid Archives” suggesting that at least the Korean games are called the Squid Game officially

Although there are several files for each year, it doesn’t mean that there were several Korean games each year. The folders hold different things like construction plans, video catalogs, participant lists, etc)

In one of the files, not only is #001 missing (obviously because it’s the old man) but 3, 4 and 5 are also missing. I don’t know what that means.

edit: opinion
The show obscures Inho's face when the detective looks through the files. I think this was a mistake. They should have shown his face, so that when the Front Man took off his mask, you'd immediately know who it was. Because I didn't know what Inho's face looks like, when the Front Man took off his mask, I wondered "who the gently caress is this guy"

Edit edit: odd detail
Inho gave the detective one of his kidneys.

But he drinks whiskey, one of the things docs will tell you to avoid after losing a kidney?

Edit edit edit: interesting detail
The games probably started in 1988 because 1987 had a giant global economic stock crash, Black Monday

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 15, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Goddamn, it’s like Parasite: The Series

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Mexican squid game looks way more fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFilRkoKWrU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

In one of the files, not only is #001 missing (obviously because it’s the old man) but 3, 4 and 5 are also missing. I don’t know what that means.

Might be part of the 14 people that decided not to return.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
if you pick red packet instead of blue do you become worker???

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

Edit edit edit: interesting detail
The games probably started in 1988 because 1987 had a giant global economic stock crash, Black Monday

I would wager that for Koreans the bigger cultural significance of 1988 is that that's the year the Olympics were held in Seoul? Makes sense given the game theme of the show at least

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Foehammer007 posted:

I know people were speculating this, but I think when we saw the videos of them shown at the start of the first day we saw both packets being picked.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I'm really tempted to try and grab one of these pink soldier costumes off Amazon with a square face mask but something tells me it's going to be late if I did since it's coming from China. It says it'll arrive before Halloween but I have my doubts...

Also, it's not like I have a Halloween party to go to but a stupid part of me thinks it would be pretty fun to go to work and drive around town in that get up.

I ordered a 456, hoping I bump into over people with the guard costumes to complete it, estimated delivery is Oct 26 - Nov 4 which is a bit dodgy though, surely they will try and get them out before Halloween.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Foehammer007 posted:

They seem to be pretty well trained though, likely at least a majority of the crew are experienced with running the games... Trained well enough to shoot people in a crowded / chaotic game without shooting the wrong people... Also without hesitation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

When they revealed one of the guards to be a young adult I thought the twist was going to be that the Korean military was behind/supported the games and was providing young drafted Koreans to be the guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

I ordered a 456, hoping I bump into over people with the guard costumes to complete it, estimated delivery is Oct 26 - Nov 4 which is a bit dodgy though, surely they will try and get them out before Halloween.

I mean, one would hope but when I've ordered things from China before they usually arrive on the later side of those delivery estimates.