Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Where's woke bi superman when you need him?

You can't get people to kill pigs for gently caress sake, don't think you have enough x-ray machines or medically trained people to check if immigrants are the right age or not.
Irradiating children for sovereignty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What was that murder recently where the papers were like "Oh he was such a sweet boy! Look at the pictures of him as a child!"?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

You can't get people to kill pigs for gently caress sake, don't think you have enough x-ray machines or medically trained people to check if immigrants are the right age or not.

That's not really the point anyway, is it?
The point is it provides an excuse for some Tory donor to get a fat contract to run the service.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

SpaceCommie posted:

Searching "Somalian" on twitter shows the best of British fash demanding the explusion of all forins and saying Patel(!!) is too soft on migrants.

Crikey. Stared into the abyss a bit. Further confirming my decision to mostly stay off the hell hole that is twitter.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

Surely the primary goal for Patel would be just exposing migrants to potentially harmful levels of rays? Results of the scans are secondary to that.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm pretty sure when John Hutton was the MP in my area his personal security was bristling but likely due to him being defence secretary? I once had him on a train I was working and one of them was asking me about connections, his job was simply to travel from Milton Keynes up to Ulverston as additional support on the train (which was very quiet mid morning) and immediately travel back to Milton Keynes when Hutton left the train.

Tim Farron travelled about on his lonesome though.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Mebh posted:

Crikey. Stared into the abyss a bit. Further confirming my decision to mostly stay off the hell hole that is twitter.

I had to delete my account and block it on my phone or I would have reached Glinner levels of bananaism.

Horrible, horrible place, yet could be great fun when banging on about deeply average Kiwi all-rounders, or poo poo Welsh 1990s footballers.

It was better when the far right were corralled safely on Stormfront.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately I don't think that was ever the case, they're probably the same people talking about football.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh so he isn't white, guess Keith can start turning the big racism dial while gobbling the tory front bench then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WhatEvil posted:

Seeing it reported on twitter that the killer is a Somali man.

Get ready for racism!

Maybe it will be further reported on twitter that the killer is a trans person and instead of racism it will just be a torrent of transphobia?

Not that you could tell.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Jess Phillips: 'I genuinely can’t think of a bad word to say about him'
Our reporter Max Stephens is at the Cheltenham Literature Festival where MP Jess Phillips is promoting her book 'everything you really need to know about politics, my life as an MP'.
She said: "I genuinely can’t think of a bad word to say about him, and that is not the case of lots of my colleagues from all sides of the house.
"He was just a nice and really friendly man.
"Why anybody would want to attack somebody like this I have no idea, but then there is no rhyme or reason to it.
“But the way it makes me feel as a Member of Parliament it’s a sort of blankness, I don’t know how to feel or process it.
“It brings back horrendous memories of the same feeling when my friend Jo Cox was shot and killed.
"And it is a mixture of shock and genuine shock that just blanks you out.
"I have had about 700 messages from journalists and newscasters since it happened and it was announced literally an hour ago that he had died.
"I don’t have the space in my brain to think about the big implications to our democracy of these things or what the solutions are to what possibly could have gone wrong in this case.
"It’s just shock, I feel very very shocked and you have to try and not let that quiet shock turn into despair or immediately risk assess everything.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sure they'll give David Amess's killer this treatment in the papers:

https://twitter.com/Shaimaakhalil/status/1106817529568260096

E:
loving hell.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1449049353243533315?s=20

'"He also had an outstanding record of passing laws to help the most vulnerable," he adds.'

No he loving didn't, and neither do you Boris, you absolute oval office.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It does say something about what their perception of an ordinary white man is, that I'm sure would be super reverse racist and misandrist if anyone but them hinted at the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly the absolute best time to talk poo poo about people is when they're dead, because what the gently caress are they gonna do about it?

Doing it while they are alive is also good because then they're around to hear it, but when they're dead is easier, utterly baffling why people are averse to it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly the absolute best time to talk poo poo about people is when they're dead, because what the gently caress are they gonna do about it?

Doing it while they are alive is also good because then they're around to hear it, but when they're dead is easier, utterly baffling why people are averse to it.

Also once someone is dead you can completely judge the sum total of their actions as a person (short of resurrection or revelation of previously unknown facts) and so won't have any redemption or degeneration in future and it's quite right to offer a judgement on what sort of a person they actually were.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Irish wakes has a bit of this, you hear stuff that you wouldn't hear about the dead person, good and bad.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My old MP Oliver Colvile is currently in the news talking about the 'death threat' he received in 2017.

The context for said death threat:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40815354

quote:

A Labour supporter told a Conservative general election candidate that "assassination was too good for him" and told him to jump off a high bridge.

Julian Isaacs, 59, admitted sending threatening Facebook messages to former MP Oliver Colvile in May at Plymouth Magistrates Court.

Afterwards Mr Colvile slammed the sentence of 80 hours community service.

Isaacs was also ordered to pay £85 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.

Speaking afterwards, Mr Colvile, who was MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport from 2010 until May, criticised the sentence, saying: "It's appalling. It's a form of terrorism.

"He should be sent to prison."

The court heard that Isaacs, of Stonehouse, Plymouth, made the comments in response to a post by Mr Colvile on his Facebook page during the election campaign.

In one message he told him to jump off the Tamar Bridge that crosses between Devon and Cornwall.

"I did mean it literally," Isaac said.

"I do not regret anything".

Julian is a FB friend of mine :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Tory; Boris has found a way to ignore Brexit & Covid for another day, possibly even a whole weekend... crisis averted. :thumbsup:

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

fuctifino posted:

My old MP Oliver Colvile is currently in the news talking about the 'death threat' he received in 2017.

The context for said death threat:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40815354

Julian is a FB friend of mine :)

Does there not have to be a threat that you'll do something for it to be a death threat?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fatelvis posted:

Does there not have to be a threat that you'll do something for it to be a death threat?

Not in our post-truth society. The intended perpetrator just needs to be on the left and/or non-white

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

fatelvis posted:

You'd think so, but JK Rowling also made headlines a few months ago for receiving a death threat when someone tweeted “I wish you a very nice pipe bomb in your mailbox” at her.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I was wondering why the world felt a little brighter today...

Angela Raynor was right.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/kan_sappa/status/1449007768090861576

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
One down.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

where's poundland?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
thishighstreetdoesnotexist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was in the cleveland center the other day and the "50th year celebrations sign" right in the middle of all the vacant units was the perfect little soupcan of irony spice.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The United States has better high streets than the UK tbh. Granted most of America's high/main streets are in wealthy areas but still much nicer than the high streets in wealthy towns in the UK.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Skeletome posted:

glad the oval office's dead, get hosed you homophobic poo poo

Love this.

What always concerns me about this forum is how weirdly passive aggressive you all are. A man died today and whether you believed in his politics or not it is not right for someone to walk into a place and stab someone to death.

So, if I was walk in and murder you Skeletone what would you like people to say about you? That you deserved it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who had 21.30 for the first hand-wringing liberal

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Aginor posted:

Love this.

What always concerns me about this forum is how weirdly passive aggressive you all are. A man died today and whether you believed in his politics or not it is not right for someone to walk into a place and stab someone to death.

So, if I was walk in and murder you Skeletone what would you like people to say about you? That you deserved it?

That man killed hundreds of thousands with supporting austerity. He's lucky his death was relatively quick compared to the slow humiliating indignation of dying under austerity. Every Tory is a piece of scum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I were worried about what people would say about me when I am dead, I would endeavour to be a better person when I was alive. Fortunately I endeavour to be dead after something kills me, so I am not overly concerned about it either way.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chuka Umana posted:

That man killed hundreds of thousands with supporting austerity. He's lucky his death was relatively quick compared to the slow humiliating indignation of dying under austerity. Every Tory is a piece of scum.

Hey! I don't like him! You're confusing me with someone who gives a drat about politics. I've got different ideas about things should be run. However, he didn't kill those people with his bare hands. Despite the fact he's a an elite etonian scumbag nobody deserves to die choking on their own blood. Marching into a place and stabbing a person to death takes a different kind of person. We have a problem in this country because we are to accepting of things. It's time to do the Aussie system and let the right one in.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Social murder is murder and the actions of the state to take money away from those who need it most to put it into the pockets of the rich is violence.

gently caress Tories, I'm also glad the oval office's dead.

Don't give a gently caress if he didn't kill those people with his bare hands, makes no difference.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

If I were worried about what people would say about me when I am dead, I would endeavour to be a better person when I was alive. Fortunately I endeavour to be dead after something kills me, so I am not overly concerned about it either way.

They would struggle with me to be honest. I'd give a massive bingo card with a thousand sqaures and only one of those nice things would have been said by me.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Aginor posted:

i mean, if my politics were as awful as the murdered guy's, and if i'd done as much harm as him by being in the position of power and allowing my awful politics to demonstrably worsen people's lives

then yeah, i'd hope people would have the clarity to call out my lovely legacy even if i get stabbed to death over something completely unrelated or whatever

in any case, "speak no ill of the dead" is bullshit, imo - it's decorum poisoning at best and usually cynical whitewashing attempts otherwise

Aginor posted:

Hey! I don't like him! You're confusing me with someone who gives a drat about politics. I've got different ideas about things should be run. However, he didn't kill those people with his bare hands. Despite the fact he's a an elite etonian scumbag nobody deserves to die choking on their own blood. Marching into a place and stabbing a person to death takes a different kind of person. We have a problem in this country because we are to accepting of things. It's time to do the Aussie system and let the right one in.

lmao nice trolling, 8 out of 10 almost had me there

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

WhatEvil posted:

Social murder is murder and the actions of the state to take money away from those who need it most to put it into the pockets of the rich is violence.

gently caress Tories, I'm also glad the oval office's dead.

Don't give a gently caress if he didn't kill those people with his bare hands, makes no difference.

For sure. By why celebrate somebody with different agendas doing the killing for you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I think that killing people by the thousand in a detached, unthinking way is actually much worse than killing people with your bare hands. Certainly the former causes far, far more misery in the world, and goes far more often unpunished and even outright rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Aginor posted:

However, he didn't kill those people with his bare hands.

He helped kill tens of thousands of people through social murder, including some of my friends.... but we're supposed to show decorum?

:allears: