Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Nobody cares about scalpers to be fair. They pretty much run the show now

I hate to say it, but yep this is correct. Most people do not care about scalpers. You can prove this with Ebay sales for the current consoles and how many have sold. There is really no shortage of new PS5s, and Series X's being released, they are just getting gobbled up instantly by scalpers and sold on ebay at an almost 100% markup, and people are paying that price to have these systems. 10's of thousands of people are doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

Has anyone ordered an 8bitdo pro 2 from Aliexpress?
I've always gotten them on Amazon, but that is their official store and it's fine if you can accept the arbitrarily long shipping delay from China.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pro tip for Pro 2: Check out Best Buy. I was there last week and found one on the shelf. The website even had it in stock.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

Nobody cares about scalpers to be fair. They pretty much run the show now
I don't think any of the console manufacturers "like" scalping or are intentionally trying to encourage it. The cut that scalpers take is something that Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony don't see at all, whereas with a regular console sale they may see licensing revenue from additional games sold with it that people can afford less.

At best they are totally ambivalent regarding scalpers, or they'd like them to go away but are slow as molasses dealing with it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

An extra £1.40 a month for online F-Zero X and Operation loving Winback is an absolute bargain and I'll have no whinging about it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what, literally what, i mean actually, seriously what are you talking about

This new generation of fly by night, poseur fans who don't listen to Nintendo's investor meetings live and in Japanese. shaking my drat head

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll wait until they add Snowboard Kids before I purchase the Expansion Pack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've always gotten them on Amazon, but that is their official store and it's fine if you can accept the arbitrarily long shipping delay from China.

Yeah, it's just amazon.ca basically has nothing but scalpers, and I guess maybe I could order from .com but I don't know if I'd get stuck paying more?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How TF do you make a big ACNH update and not streamline online features.

It's the one thing keeping me from playing more. I want to have tons of visitors but it suuuuuucks.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I know everyone is busy with strong opinions about Nintendo doing Nintendo things regarding online, but which of these games should I pick up and play next that are on sale

Blashpemous
Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Monster Boy and the Cured Kingdom
Monster Sanctuary
Moonlighter Complete Edition

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

You’re delusional if you think Nintendo cares about scalpers at all. They actively encourage scalpers with artificial scarcity on almost every piece of hardware they release, as long as someone is paying for it they don’t care.

I wonder how common it is for a business of their level of brand cache to prefer to sell out of a thing, rather than to accidentally over produce a thing.

(I'm referring to their non-console offerings, btw)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 15, 2021

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Still lolling at the idea of a boardroom full of Japanese businessmen watching the YouTube thumbs up/down ratio and getting more and more frantic as phones start to ring

drenched in flop sweat, a business executive presses the red button to initiate Nintendo's "Defcon 1" protocol - a limited time $5 discount on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Digital Only)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Shyfted One posted:

I know everyone is busy with strong opinions about Nintendo doing Nintendo things regarding online, but which of these games should I pick up and play next that are on sale

Blashpemous
Monster Sanctuary

blasphemous

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shyfted One posted:

Blashpemous
Monster Sanctuary

Monster Boy.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Question for anyone else playing Dungeon Encounters: does anyone have any spotify recommendations for music since this game did not include a soundtrack beyond two songs?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

How TF do you make a big ACNH update and not streamline online features.

It's the one thing keeping me from playing more. I want to have tons of visitors but it suuuuuucks.

The AC interface has to maintain user/item connections in real-time across the entire island. It's not the net code that sucks, it's sort of unavoidable because of the basic game design.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's it, I'm selling the thread to the Nintendo Bread guy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

That's it, I'm selling the thread to the Nintendo Bread guy.

What? I don't want it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder how common it is for a business of their level of brand cache to prefer to sell out of a thing, rather than to accidentally over produce a thing.
Nintendo is uncommonly conservative when it comes to these types of decisions.

Most companies (for example, Disney) would rather overproduce a widget to ensure wide and ease of availability, and take a loss on the amount that goes to deep discounts, consolidation, etc. The trick here is to try to find the optimal amount to produce so that you still make a profit, but you just know going in that there's going to be some volume sold at loss.

Nintendo never likes to produce at a loss. Their goal is to make a profit on every widget produced, even if that means occasionally under producing compared to demand. They just don't like red on the books. This is why they have a Scrooge McDuck-sized money bin and can weather the storms they do encounter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You say that about Disney but don't forget the infamous Disney Vault of the 90s

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Disney vault is actual artificial scarcity, not like Nintendo hardware or the latest iPhone or whatever when everyone likes to bust out the term they heard and think they know what it means.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
see also: the "limited time" Mario All Stars release

Spellman
May 31, 2011

romanowski posted:

aside from the price of the consoles themselves this has never been true. wtf are you talking about

Nintendo markets themselves as giving you the most value for the cheapest price. They always front with this (in their mobile games, hardware offerings). Xbox and PS generally promote their hardware as premium everything, and they're unafraid to say it

My cousin just bought a Switch. She asked what controller we played Mario Kart with before she bought her Switch. I said it was a Pro Controller. She looks it up. "$100?!" She is shell-shocked. She didn't understand that I used Amiibos to unlock furniture in Animal Crossing. She doesn't realize a lot of the content in Smash was DLC. It generally doesn't occur to the normie, the mom, etc. that the Switch is a bit of an investment to do all the things you or your kid might want to do with it. She saw the price of the hardware and didn't consider these costs. Now she will be dropping another 40 or 50 bucks on Animal Crossing with the NSO+ and DLC, for what she thought was going to just be an $80+20. So, $150 on Animal Crossing for her, over a month and a half. And she's not necessarily caring about N64 or Genesis games, so it's not extra value for her

Nintendo has this legacy and it's stuck with them, even when their money vacuum is on turbo-suck

Spellman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 15, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lastdancer posted:

Question for anyone else playing Dungeon Encounters: does anyone have any spotify recommendations for music since this game did not include a soundtrack beyond two songs?

Good news every 10 floors you get another battle track

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spellman posted:

Nintendo markets themselves as giving you the most value for the cheapest price. They always front with this (in their mobile games, hardware offerings).
No they don't. lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

Nintendo markets themselves as giving you the most value for the cheapest price. They always front with this (in their mobile games, hardware offerings).

:goofy:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Defending a corporation is dumb

But lol if you think ps+ is a better value and you don’t even get Mario 64

Not much point trying to debate which is the better value because even if both services cost the same with one of them you are going to be naturally compelled to pick up a couple 50 dollar controllers to go along with it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ps+ would be immediately improved if i could pay half price and not get the garbage plus games. nso value clearly ahead of the game on every front. thank you, nintendo

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Spellman posted:

Nintendo markets themselves as giving you the most value for the cheapest price.

I don't remember Nintendo doing this at any point during my life. Their games have always been expensive and rarely do they put first-party games on sale.

quote:

They always front with this (in their mobile games, hardware offerings). Xbox and PS generally promote their hardware as premium everything, and they're unafraid to say it

Xbox may have done this, but Sony has always sold their consoles at a loss. Sony even came up with their "greatest hits" idea to sell old games for $20.

quote:

My cousin just bought a Switch. She asked what controller we played Mario Party with before she bought her Switch. I said it was a Pro Controller. She looks it up. "$100?!" She is shell-shocked.

Switch Pro controllers are $70.

quote:

She didn't understand that I used Amiibos to unlock furniture in Animal Crossing. She doesn't realize a lot of the content in Smash was DLC. It generally doesn't occur to the normie, the mom, etc. that the Switch is a bit of an investment to do all the things you or your kid might want to do with it. She saw the price of the hardware and didn't consider these costs. Now she will be dropping another 40 or 50 bucks on Animal Crossing with the NSO+ and DLC, for what she thought was going to just be an $80+20. So, $150 on Animal Crossing for her, over a month and a half. And she's not necessarily caring about N64 or Genesis games, so it's not extra value for her

Nintendo has this legacy and it's stuck with them, even when their money vacuum is on turbo-suck

Animal Crossing is $40 at retail and only $25 for the DLC (which is not necessary at all unless you like the idea of the DLC). You don't need NSO+ to play it. You only need regular NSO ($20/year) to do cloud backups and visit each others' islands.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nintendo have generally had a greatest hits budget rerelease thing on their consoles and I'm surprised they haven't yet

I mean are people really still spending sixty bones on Kirby Star Allies

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Xombie posted:

Xbox may have done this, but Sony has always sold their consoles at a loss.

they both do

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Xombie posted:

I don't remember Nintendo doing this at any point during my life. Their games have always been expensive and rarely do they put first-party games on sale.

Xbox may have done this, but Sony has always sold their consoles at a loss. Sony even came up with their "greatest hits" idea to sell old games for $20.

Switch Pro controllers are $70.

Animal Crossing is $40 at retail and only $25 for the DLC (which is not necessary at all unless you like the idea of the DLC). You don't need NSO+ to play it. You only need regular NSO ($20/year) to do cloud backups and visit each others' islands.

When I bought my GameCube, I bought it for 100 bucks, and like, 4 first party Players Choice titles, off the shelves, brand new, for 100 bucks. Also I live in Canada, sorry for no price conversion, I took a shot at the American price with tax

**Also, he retailers, whether or not the game had "Players Choice" on the package, just lowered the price to $24 across the board. So I got a fresh copy of Metroid Prime for 24 bucks with no ugly branding

My cousin doesn't follow Wario64 or whatever

Spellman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

You say that about Disney but don't forget the infamous Disney Vault of the 90s

I heard Disney spent seventy BILLION dollars to get all the Fox stuff. Is that true?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

enojy posted:

Jelly Boy is so weird. I thought it was going to be the Japanese game Jerry Boy. They played it on Gamecenter CX; it seemed like a tongue-in-cheek way of poking a little fun at Japanese pronunciation, since the premise involves the main character Jerry being turned into a blob of jelly.

Nope! Jerry Boy was released as Smart Ball in the US, while Jelly Boy is indeed an entirely different game about a boy made of jelly. Two games about jelly boys.

jerry boy pwns. i rented smart ball as a kid a ton of times and jerry boy is way cooler. (has a bunch of story scenes between levels that they removed entirely for the NA version; much better box art)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shyfted One posted:

Blashpemous
Monster Sanctuary

Monster Boy followed by Blasphemous

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

When I bought my GameCube, I bought it for 100 bucks, and like, 4 first party Players Choice titles, off the shelves, brand new, for 100 bucks. Also I live in Canada, sorry for no price conversion, I took a shot at the American price with tax

the gamecube sold extraordinarily poorly and they were forced to cut its price heavily. that also included the games. ive solved the mystery for you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

enojy posted:

Jelly Boy is so weird. I thought it was going to be the Japanese game Jerry Boy.
Wow cool casual racism bro.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Spellman posted:

Even with the price conversion, the controller is the same price as other current-generation controllers.

The Gamecube retailed for $200 USD when it was released, but the PS2 was also cut to $200 by the time it did.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stux posted:

the gamecube sold extraordinarily poorly and they were forced to cut its price heavily. that also included the games. ive solved the mystery for you

Yes, that's why I mentioned the money-vaccuum, which is set to on or off based on how successful Nintendo is. I'm the least confused person here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Spellman posted:

**Also, he retailers, whether or not the game had "Players Choice" on the package, just lowered the price to $24 across the board. So I got a fresh copy of Metroid Prime for 24 bucks with no ugly branding

Okay but what exactly is Nintendo doing that’s sneaky exploitive price gouging, or whatever? Selling $25 dlc for a game after releasing a huge free update? Selling other stuff unrelated to animal crossing, like new controllers?