Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What? Why? How about we get the remake first and see how that is before jumping the fucken gun, man.

This reminds me of the decision to spend 200 mil on making a Blade Runner sequel. Incredible film but at what point did anyone think that would turn a profit? Both System Shock 1 and 2 were financial failures. I'm glad they exist but like-

:confused:

https://twitter.com/GameTripperUK/status/1448273190023794696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Twerk from Home posted:

Scourge felt more like a modern game in that the levels felt more related, Dissolution is more like original Quake itself in that it's pretty disjointed and dreamlike. I remember enjoying Scourge more, but both were good. I did take a break in between them.

Yeah that's a good summary for my take too. At the time of release I was way more excited by Scourge's polish, setpieces, and technical doodads. More recently I'm a little blase about some of that stuff.

And also I'm more appreciative than I was of DoE's weird Quake-y sense of place and its bits of only-in-the-90s level design - including some "crimes"/bullshit, won't deny that, but that also helps make it have a little more challenge and surprise.

Still like 'em both, tho a large part of that is nostalgia in both cases.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What? Why? How about we get the remake first and see how that is before jumping the fucken gun, man.

Go big or go home mate. It's why we have Daikatana and Deus Ex

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

I get what you're saying but at least Romero wasn't stupid enough to spend 80 new ones on a movie tie in for Daikatana before the actual game came out :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

quote:

Ahead of its launch in 2022, Binge.com–the upcoming “Netflix for gaming shows”

I'd be "shocked" if this ever sees the light of day

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Oh yay it's blockchain: https://bitcoinist.com/slates-binge-blockchain-streaming-platform-vs-netflix/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

just lmao

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Looks like their plans have changed a bit and now they will only be using blockchain "for analytics": https://www.c21media.net/news/new-streamer-binge-targets-gaming-world/

I can see where this arc is going.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I hope nightdive got a check for this

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I did not think my kickstarter pledge *checks notes* 5 years ago??? would result in this kind of dumb poo poo. :negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In other news, Halo: MCC has updated with more robot hats and custom game stuff. And also, for the first time ever, the official Halo 3 mod tools. I can't wait to see what weird poo poo falls out of that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8OCtAegCV8

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Nah.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Convex posted:

Sometimes I think about how Deus Ex is just the good Daikatana.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Daikatana the immersive sim

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

In other news, Halo: MCC has updated with more robot hats and custom game stuff. And also, for the first time ever, the official Halo 3 mod tools. I can't wait to see what weird poo poo falls out of that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8OCtAegCV8

I've been waiting a while to let the mods for these build up before diving in. This is great news. I know it's part of the Halo formula but I wouldn't mind some kind of wonky rear end "old school" mod where you can carry the entire unwieldly arsenal and gotta pick up medkits and see how the Halo combat sandbox mutates.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rocket Pan posted:

It's picked automatically from your output. If your display is only 60hz or you've set it as such in the system settings, it will internally just do 60FPS. Same with Xbox Series.

I love the port, but is there a reason that Quake 64 literally triples the install size on PS5? It goes from 580MB to 1.8GB on PS5, which seems like a bit much for an add-on that makes the graphics shittier.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dewgy posted:

I love the port, but is there a reason that Quake 64 literally triples the install size on PS5? It goes from 580MB to 1.8GB on PS5, which seems like a bit much for an add-on that makes the graphics shittier.

Are there big fancy dumbass splash screens

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

verbal enema posted:

Are there big fancy dumbass splash screens

Doesn’t seem like it. The only guess that makes sense to me is the funniest one though: All the textures have pre-baked filtering and are super high resolution so they didn’t have to implement a 64-style trilinear filtering shader.

Which would also make sense of the “texture filtering” option not really doing anything when Q64 is active.

e: Wait, on closer inspection, texture filtering does change things, the filtering option is forced on regardless of the menu selection when the mod is activated, but it can be turned off afterwards.

Now I’m just confused. :thunk:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 14, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Weird, on PC the Quake 64 addon is just 100mb.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

Daikatana the immersive sim

"I can't leave without my brother Paul"

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Dewgy posted:

I think this is allocating all the space for all mod downloads. This seems to just be the way to do UGC downloads on PS5.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

spongeh posted:

I think this is allocating all the space for all mod downloads. This seems to just be the way to do UGC downloads on PS5.

I'm not entirely clear on how the download folders work on PlayStation, but this is probably it. I believe we currently allocate 1GB for that folder if I'm understanding the manifest correctly. For some reason we can't just write data to a designated folder on any platform, it's kinda weird.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oooooh, apparently the SPV3 team are starting work on a version for Halo 3. Godspeed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

"I can't leave without my brother Paul"

loving consolification ruining a critical story branch

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spongeh posted:

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm not entirely clear on how the download folders work on PlayStation, but this is probably it. I believe we currently allocate 1GB for that folder if I'm understanding the manifest correctly. For some reason we can't just write data to a designated folder on any platform, it's kinda weird.

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks! :tipshat:

Now all there is to do is light a fire under someone’s butt to get more mods available to make it worth it. I suggest getting in touch with whoever made the Timbler mod and get that added to the list ASAP. :haw:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Not quite relevant but you're on PS5 so
https://twitter.com/BethesdaSupport/status/1448689814920994819

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Aw sweet, I've been wanting Seige of Avalon.

I'm new to the thread, what's so bad about Witchhaven?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm new to the thread, what's so bad about Witchhaven?
https://youtube.com/clip/UgxmdhmMi7BlWzLbPWd4AaABCQ
Just for a taste.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Dewgy posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks! :tipshat:

Now all there is to do is light a fire under someone’s butt to get more mods available to make it worth it. I suggest getting in touch with whoever made the Timbler mod and get that added to the list ASAP. :haw:

We're working on it! We obviously couldn't get people in advance since the game was unannounced but there are a few irons in the fire currently.

e: That is working on mods, not the Timbler mod heh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Halo games are doing a free weekend of Steam. Gonna try/play Halo 4 without having to pay since a lot of people seem down on it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mordja posted:

The Halo games are doing a free weekend of Steam. Gonna try/play Halo 4 without having to pay since a lot of people seem down on it.

Halo 4 multiplayer is decent. Slightly weird if you’re coming from H3 but not bad. Campaign has a few fun bits but is mostly a train wreck

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo 4 was the first title from the new studio the franchise was handed off to, and, well, it turns out Bungie did the opposite of those things for a reason

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Halo 4's campaign and the only reason I can tell you that is because I have the achievements for doing so. It is complete nothing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

I played Halo 4's campaign and the only reason I can tell you that is because I have the achievements for doing so. It is complete nothing.

:yeah:

I can’t remember a thing about it except that it had extremely boring new enemies and weapons.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
so i'm getting that it's a halo game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, more so, which is why even Halo fans rag on it

The main things I remember about it are that the new enemies aren't very good, and that the Cortana/Chief relationship works a lot better as window dressing than as the core arc of act 3

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I played H4 this year for the first time since release and I’ve already re-forgotten most of it.

The new enemies aren’t completely terrible imo. The biggest issue with the knights is they take way too many hits. They’re as time-consuming to kill on normal as they should be on legendary, while not actually being that dangerous because you know, it’s normal. Any fight that involves them is highly likely to drag on too long.

The new weapons are mostly just there. It’s really regrettable that they most just end up being slightly different versions of existing human/covenant weapons with fancy skins. The human and covenant weapons had already become too obviously parallel in function by this point in the series (as opposed to H1 where each weapon truly was a different concept with its own reason for being) and they just went ahead and added a third tranche of pretty much identical stuff. It’s not even that the guns are bad. It’s just that it’s the same pistol, assault rifle, marksman rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher archetypes as already existed in the games, sometimes already existing twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Which halo was it where they made the pistol not the best weapon in the game? 2? 3?