Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I forgot Kamina and Kittan. Both of whom will never have a secret to save them per Imaishi's request, from what I understand.

I mean, Kamina forever dying is like Lockon forever dying. It's important for the character growth of others. Kittan though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Inferno-sama posted:

I mean, Kamina forever dying is like Lockon forever dying. It's important for the character growth of others. Kittan though...

kittan dying is important to kittans character growth. Into a corpse.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kamina comes back in Z3.2 as a force ghost or whatever that can only live on the battleship. Kittan does not and stays ultra rip dead forever rip.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gridman looking good. I imagine you get the Max/Borr/Vitt attacks later down the line, but at least the basic/Calibur moves look good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diXNO5UFGJ0

Kind of disappointing that Banpresto is still cutting back on Dynamic Kills, given that not even Grid Calibur End gets one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

EthanSteele posted:

Kamina comes back in Z3.2 as a force ghost or whatever that can only live on the battleship. Kittan does not and stays ultra rip dead forever rip.

How did they handle Nia? Does she die or is she saved like she is in SRW X

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmmm.

So we got SRX for Alpha 1, Cybuster for Alpha Gaiden, and KoRyuOh for Alpha 2. Therefore my guess is that we're getting the Dis-Astranagant in the next DLC.

Weren't both RyuKoOh and KoRyuOh in Alpha 1 too?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Cyflan posted:

They were.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willo567 posted:

She lives.

And if we're talking deaths, Musashi still unavoidably dies in games with the Getter team, if he's even alive in the game in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

She lives.

And if we're talking deaths, Musashi still unavoidably dies in games with the Getter team, if he's even alive in the game in the first place.

To be fair Musashi is basically replaced by Musashi 2

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Willo567 posted:

iirc its just "yeah, without the spiral juice she's gonna disappear, but we have no idea if thats in 10 minutes or 100 years" so she's effectively fine

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Policenaut posted:

Throw some VOTOMS in there and you got a party started

Free Dougram from Omega hell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can save musashi in A

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gimme Dancouga and Dancouga Nova again please

Endorph posted:

you can save musashi in A

yeah but then you've played A and thus sacrificed yourself

or was gba A not as balls nuts as AP?

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Kitfox88 posted:

or was gba A not as balls nuts as AP?
GBA A was a lot easier, yeah

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
A Portable did stuff like import in OG2 bosses into A without changing any of their stats so they were terrifying nightmares.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I do want to play AP someday but when I do I'm going to cheat as much as possible because it just does not sound very enjoyable in its base form

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cyflan posted:

Yes, but also Cybuster was in 1 and Gaiden. This wasn't meant to be taken very seriously.

On a more serious note though, we are 100% getting Might Gaine in the DLC2.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senerio posted:

So question for people who would know this better than me; I'm playing the demo and in games where the Shrike Team is playable, how inevitable is their fate?

In 2G, none of them die so in my LP, I'm letting my viewers vote if they want to kill anyone. So far we've had one casualty.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What I learned from the 30 demo is that you really don't appreciate the anime music until it's gone and every non-OG unit has the same loving generic dramatic orchestral bgm

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
A Portable is really not actually *that* hellish if you're familiar with strategy RPGs in general honestly, it's just that you have to approach it much more like you'd approach a "normal" strategy RPG like FFT or Fire Emblem or something and not like you'd normally approach a SRW game.

Mostly this means that you have to actually care about unit tiers and meticulously make use of mechanics like support attack/defend, commander auras, and EWAC. It's also worth noting that weapon upgrades (which are already really good in most modern SRWs) are dramatically better in A Portable and the vast majority of your money in AP should be going into them. It's still possible to use lower tier pilots/units but expect to need to disproportionately baby them with resources if you want them to hold up, and be prepared to accept that some characters will simply never be boss smashers (but can do a very good job of cleaning up the trash so that your boss smashers don't need to burn resources on it).

IMO the difficulty level of AP is fairly similar to OG2 or OGMD within SRW, and if you're familiar with SRPGs outside of SRW, the vast majority of Fire Emblem hard modes are harder than SRW AP (regular hard modes, not Lunatic).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Isn't the problem with A portable simply that they just added an extra zero to everything's health, making everything take forever? Or is that MX portable?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Hellioning posted:

Isn't the problem with A portable simply that they just added an extra zero to everything's health, making everything take forever? Or is that MX portable?

I thought they both suffered from that problem

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
Both games have pretty significant HP bloat yes. I think it's actually 1.5x in MXP, dunno about A.

A Portable's bigger problem is that it changed a bunch of underlying mechanics around accuracy without adjusting things in the game which were designed around different assumptions or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Not only that but it'd pair pretty naturally with IBO. I could easily see IBO, 86, and Hathaway's Flash (movie) being the centerpieces of a SRW game. Big recent stuff that provide a lot of material to work with.

Tekkadan providing advice on the conditions where things are lovely enough to justify killing your boss and the best ways to do it would probably be quite useful for Spearhead.

At the same time, the Legion would be on the short list of enemies that would make McGillis and Rustal shake hands and set aside their issues for the duration.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Occasionally I think about the old MS Saga RPG, and how it could be updated. I think you could re-use a lot of it overall, with some changes, despite it being a kind of dumb story.

Like off the top of my head:
-kind of make the setting officially like G-Gen, where you just smashed together a bunch of Gundam universes, and somehow all and none of the official events happened
-take inspiration from Gundam Breaker and let the player upgrade older/weaker MS parts to keep them competitive, even if it cost more than just getting new parts. Make bringing the OG Gundam to endgame viable, if expensive
-The MC doesn't get any skills that imply newtype powers until very late when they pick up the strongest funnel skill. Make it a thing in the plot that he is a stunted newtype who only grows into his power at endgame
-the love interest and the final villain conveniently look a lot like Ribbons and are artaficial humans, lean into that and make them Innovades, and he in particular knows what went down with 00 and Trailblazer and cannot accept that Innovades aren't the next step for humanity
-let the IBO gundams still require the AV system or similar, limiting them originally to one or two of your team, but let Rezner (the lance using military lady) not quite be cleansed of DG cells so she has an excuse to use the Kimaris, pretty much the mech she was made for
-similarly, let the sniper pirate guy get the sniper crossbone gundam.
-maybe change the backstory from 'the G-system went nuts and destroyed the world' (how?) to somebody released IBO mobile armors, and as humanity used the G-system to make mobile suits to fight back somebody released the Moonlight butterfly (not common knowledge) to reset everything to zero.
-Because of that make bad guys getting mobile armors a big thing early in the story, since while the Xamel might not be that scary, people link the words mobile armor to stuff like the Hashmal, and even the smaller baddies are exploiting that for all its worth.
-probably have the Turn X as the final boss, since after everything that has been added to the series since the game was released a black and red Wing Zero Custom is probably not as intimidating anymore, plus it fits better with the endgame threat of the appocalypse kicking off again.
-Let Gundam X and Victory have reps, just let them have reps.

I dunno, this is all just stuff that percolates in my brain when I don't have to think about what I'm doing at work. Random poo poo, but what if X?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I feel like one of the unaddressed implicit question of the "what's the odds of an anime character who died in their source material doing the same in SRW" thing is the question of "am I wasting all my resources if I pump it into someone who I know is going to croak it", in which case the answer is that in the case that it does happen, you usually get either a full refund or whoever the replacement character is usually kinda inherits all of the dead guy's stuff anyway, so you never ever have to worry about "wasted investments"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hellioning posted:

MXP is the one where they made no changes at all besides giving everything shitloads more HP. MX is a very easy game, so making enemies giant bloated HP sacks does nothing to make the game harder, it just makes it longer and more tedious.

A Portable makes more significant system/unit changes and ends up waaaaaay harder because of it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This is Steam only in the US, right? I would prefer it on the console but I'll take what I can get! Lord knows I'll probably buy the whole edition up front because I tend to squeeze every bit out of SRW games when I import them. Least I can do when it's actually out in my region.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Levantine posted:

This is Steam only in the US, right? I would prefer it on the console but I'll take what I can get! Lord knows I'll probably buy the whole edition up front because I tend to squeeze every bit out of SRW games when I import them. Least I can do when it's actually out in my region.

Sort of.

You can get a console version in English that plays on a Switch since it's not region locked, but it's still an import.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you don't want to import a physical copy you can get an english version on Switch/PS4 digitally if you're okay with loving with making a PSN/Nintendo account for another region.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Sort of.

You can get a console version in English that plays on a Switch since it's not region locked, but it's still an import.

Yeah, I'd rather just buy the official release to show there's a future market for the games here. Vote with my wallet and all that.

e:

Endorph posted:

If you don't want to import a physical copy you can get an english version on Switch/PS4 digitally if you're okay with loving with making a PSN/Nintendo account for another region.

Yeah I still have my asian PSN account for the VXT games, but I'd rather just support the US version so that maybe future installments make it to console as well.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Occasionally I think about the old MS Saga RPG, and how it could be updated. I think you could re-use a lot of it overall, with some changes, despite it being a kind of dumb story.

Like off the top of my head:
(changes omitted for brevity)

I dunno, this is all just stuff that percolates in my brain when I don't have to think about what I'm doing at work. Random poo poo, but what if X?

I dunno, I'd settle for "MS Saga HD: Melee Doesn't Become Worthless Edition." :v:

Victory does have some rep, in that the "Overhand Cannons" (sic) were the Overhang Pack from V Dash Gundam, but I get what you mean with "actual rep" and would love to see Leopard in there myself.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ran through Earth route as Edge, and ultimately I do like Edge's personality better but I'm prob still gonna go around as Az.

Also 100% gonna do the Space Route because of lingering trauma from Ryusei route lmao

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

My biggest reason for going with Edge over Az is that it takes way too long to get to the good part of her theme song.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ethiser posted:

My biggest reason for going with Edge over Az is that it takes way too long to get to the good part of her theme song.

You can offset that in the options by starting a little into her theme I saw but that's fair.

KoB
May 1, 2009
We might be getting Getter Robo Devolution DLC?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KoB posted:

We might be getting Getter Robo Devolution DLC?

Datamining has suggested a lot of interesting DLC. No knowing if it's all accurate, but people have suggested that Ultraman, VOTOMs and Iron Blooded Orphans are going to be in the future DLC packs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Datamining has suggested a lot of interesting DLC. No knowing if it's all accurate, but people have suggested that Ultraman, VOTOMs and Iron Blooded Orphans are going to be in the future DLC packs.

Ultraman would make a lot of sense since Gridman is rife with references.

I'd be less thrilled by VOTOMS and IBO because both really require a specific setting to work and even if they just amount of flashy interdimensional cameos it'd feel weird.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Also, the datamine suggests that for GGG vs Betterman the brave robots will be substituted by the J-Decker characters, but GaoGaiGo, Katetsujin V2, Final GaoGaiGar and Betterman will be units

My guess is that since GGG vs Betterman isn't animated, it would be hard to animate the new brave robots since there's no animated material, and they didn't want to just bring the old GGG units and not have the new ones as well, so they decided to just substitute them with the J-Decker characters

Here's a link to the datamined VA and unit lists if anyone is interested

VA: https://pastebin.com/EHU4GcZA
Unit: https://pastebin.com/34GTUbzV

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Also, the datamine suggests that for GGG vs Betterman the brave robots will be substituted by the J-Decker characters, but GaoGaiGo, Katetsujin V2, Final GaoGaiGar and Betterman will be units

My guess is that since GGG vs Betterman isn't animated, it would be hard to animate the new brave robots since there's no animated material, and they didn't want to just bring the old GGG units and not have the new ones as well, so they decided to just substitute them with the J-Decker characters

Here's a link to the datamined VA and unit lists if anyone is interested

VA: https://pastebin.com/EHU4GcZA
Unit: https://pastebin.com/34GTUbzV

That's really interesting since they mentioned that the J-Decker units are supposed to be the next-gen Super AI after they got banned after GGG. Having them straight up connect the plot would be a really cool bit of crossover.