Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

No, considering the intro to Metroid Dread suggests how desperate the Federation was to hire her for the current mission.

Even Adam said it wasn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
hopefully we get a side game between fusion and this thats samus aran as an on-the-run bounty hunter from the federation, ending with her inevitably defeating some universe-threatening enemy and having the federation begrudgingly pardon her

open world metroid seems like a real obvious thing and this seems like a good setup to me...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Someone early on said that part of the bounty Samus is getting for the ZDR mission probably includes a full pardon for what she did in Fusion, since their hands are a bit tied by Samus being the only person in the galaxy capable of dealing with the X.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Other M has like 3 unskippable first person pixel hunts and that's a crime.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Curiosity? I've completed most of the Metroid series in one form or another (Zero Mission and AM2R in place of the first two, and I need to get a Switch for Dread) so part of me sees it as something I should do if I'm going to call myself a Metroid fan. That mod sounds interesting though, I'll take a look at it.

in that case you should shun it like the plague

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

in that case you should shun it like the plague

Best post of the day, right here.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Roll up roll up come and see the freak" is a perfectly fine reason to want to play Other M. I mean christ people actually paid money for Daikatana when it re-released on steam

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
If I'm reading these instructions right, it looks like you can submit clear times >1hr45min with just screenshots as proof?

Not sure if I'm obsessed enough to get a sub 2-hour run yet, but I think I can AT LEAST clear in less than 3 hours..

quote:

Complete the game as fast as possible, no restrictions.

Timing starts when you select Continue on your run file. Timing ends when the cutscene starts at the end of the escape sequence.

To set up a run file, watch the intro of the game and then go back to the main menu. This will give you a file that skips the intro every time you do a run. If the file says 00:03:44 IGT, that's normal.

List your IGT and whether you're running on Physical or Digital when submitting a run.

Video proof is required for times under 1:45 RTA. All videos must have game audio and must show the IGT at the end of the run. If you don't have video proof for above the threshold, please show a picture of your IGT at the bare minimum.

Emulators are not allowed.

Use of Amiibos are banned.

Rebinding controls with the Switch menu is allowed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheComicFiend posted:

If I'm reading these instructions right, it looks like you can submit clear times >1hr45min with just screenshots as proof?

Not sure if I'm obsessed enough to get a sub 2-hour run yet, but I think I can AT LEAST clear in less than 3 hours..

You can, but I wouldn't count on them accepting them for serious consideration. If you are taking screenshots you could just use your switch to save a video instead

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Ahhh, so I'd probably be better off just recording the whole thing in one shot anyway. Dang.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheComicFiend posted:

Ahhh, so I'd probably be better off just recording the whole thing in one shot anyway. Dang.

My interpretation, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that that just want a video recording of the scorescreen with music playing, which you can do by using the "record the last 30 seconds of play" feature of the switch. I don't think they want the entire run. It's just to make sure people aren't photoshopping the numbers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As it hasn't been actively purged from the story (merely ignored at worst), Other M has a high-level conspiracy splinter group within the Galactic Federation Army. Nightmare is said (at least in the Japanese text) to be a creation of the "former" Galactic Federation Army. BSL's shenanigans suggest (without having an explicit link) that at least some of the conspiracy may still be extant. Prime 3 also had notes to the effect of the Space Pirates having some plants in the Federation, as well. And Raven Beak likely had his own pull with the Federation and/or Space Pirates. Even so, the ending of Fusion itself also has Adam assuring Samus that someone in the Federation will understand why it was necessary, and Samus is mostly worried that she'll be held accountable after investigations and tribunals, not that there'll be an immediate warrant and bounty on her.

All in all I think there's enough wiggle room for the Galactic Federation as an outward-facing political entity to not have openly called for her punishment post-Fusion, even if it's because enough backroom strings were pulled by various interests. I do expect that it's still a useful dangling thread if they'd like to use it, but the current public relation between Samus and the Federation seems implicitly neutral at worst.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

CuddleCryptid posted:

My interpretation, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that that just want a video recording of the scorescreen with music playing, which you can do by using the "record the last 30 seconds of play" feature of the switch. I don't think they want the entire run. It's just to make sure people aren't photoshopping the numbers.

Y'know what, I'll give it a shot tonight.
If I submit my hard mode clear time I'll be sitting pretty in the #2 spot for a minute loll

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

other m is still canon as it has a poster in the art gallery topic locked

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
you have got to be loving kidding me. crashes with “this software has encountered an error, closing” after the final boss and I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN gently caress YOUUUUU

gotta watch the cutscenes too. insult to injury!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can skip cutscenes? Select

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can skip cutscenes? Select

Start then select, if that doesn't work

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can only skip cutscenes if you have already "watched" them, so if the game crashes or you reload your save to a point before you watched the cutscene you can't skip it

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

other m is still canon as it has a poster in the art gallery topic locked
I take it as a token gesture because Sakamoto is still producer

the one good thing I have to say about Other M is that the game and story is so pointless that it's really easy to just completely ignore it without affecting anything else in the canon or in the series as a whole.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can only skip cutscenes if you have already "watched" them, so if the game crashes or you reload your save to a point before you watched the cutscene you can't skip it

yeah it was this. to the games credit, i beat him first try no problem. the bosses are very good

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Roll up roll up come and see the freak" is a perfectly fine reason to want to play Other M. I mean christ people actually paid money for Daikatana when it re-released on steam

i'll have you know i bought it on gog or something just because it was part of a pack where if you took daikatana out of the pack, the price of the pack went up dramatically

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.anaitgames.com/articulos/mercurysteam-empleados-condiciones-trabajo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr. Maggy posted:

i'll have you know i bought it on gog or something just because it was part of a pack where if you took daikatana out of the pack, the price of the pack went up dramatically

The "John Romero's bitch" tax

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
okay, finally finished, something like 10.5 hours and 52% items. this is a great metroid game, and while super metroid is one of my favorite games ever, this surpasses it in every way. it's a beautiful successor that i'm excited to watch speedruns of

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i cant play Other M without my buddy Superfly

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Party Boat posted:

Curiosity? I've completed most of the Metroid series in one form or another (Zero Mission and AM2R in place of the first two, and I need to get a Switch for Dread) so part of me sees it as something I should do if I'm going to call myself a Metroid fan. That mod sounds interesting though, I'll take a look at it.

It's definitely not a great game, and the story is somehow even worse than can ever be put into words, but you can still have fun with it. If it weren't a Metroid title it would have gotten a much better reception because as an action platformer it's decent. People like to poo poo on the control scheme, and yeah it's super goofy, but it's totally responsive and I give them credit for trying something original. I would encourage anybody who likes Metroid to play it, especially if they're going to start referencing it in future titles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it wasn’t a Metroid game I doubt anyone would have played it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I honestly kind of liked what they were going for with the Other M control scheme but then I'm one of those weirdos that thought it was great that No More Heroes played phone calls through the lovely Wiimote speaker. I just can't be bothered with digging my Wii out and setting it up.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
hell yeah controller speakers, blowing on the DS, I love weirdo poo poo like that

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it wasn’t a Metroid game I doubt anyone would have played it

People would have bought it purely for being a Team Ninja game back then.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
This game was so loving good. Just cleared at 9 hours and about 58%. Not sure I understood the end, the X helped her and controlled her Metroid DNA? or?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

This game was so loving good. Just cleared at 9 hours and about 58%. Not sure I understood the end, the X helped her and controlled her Metroid DNA? or?

The Chozo it possessed had the ability to control Metroids. Based off its mannerisms it somehow either took over or guided the X to Samus, who then absorbed it, unlocking the ability to control Metroids and thus herself.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Game is okay. It's only difficult because it controls like a butt. Would be more enjoyable if Samus didn't win a 100 meter dash every time I press a direction.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that would suck actially

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

a.p. dent posted:

you have got to be loving kidding me. crashes with “this software has encountered an error, closing” after the final boss and I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN gently caress YOUUUUU

gotta watch the cutscenes too. insult to injury!!!

I watched this happen live to a big name Metroid Speedrunner last night, over halfway through a run on a good pace lmao

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Human Crouton posted:

Game is okay. It's only difficult because it controls like a butt. Would be more enjoyable if Samus didn't win a 100 meter dash every time I press a direction.

haven't seen an opinion this wrong in ages

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wonder if the cut bosses would've replaced most of the Chozo encounters.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Renegret posted:

I watched this happen live to a big name Metroid Speedrunner last night, over halfway through a run on a good pace lmao

ouch lol

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just entered the 4th area but I've only got 2 health container bars or whatever they're called.

Should I be able to get a lot more by now? I feel like the game is linearly pushing me on and throwing power ups at me quite frequently so the idea of backtracking to only get so far before having to go back again seems a bit off putting. Is that generally what you're expected to do or is there a certain point it's recommended to go back? Like after you've picked up a certain upgrade?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

The Human Crouton posted:

:wtc:

Samus's silky smooth speed is actually the best part of this game, I love bouncing around like a demented pinball.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 16, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/metroid-dread-developer-leaves-names-out-of-credits-ex-staffers-say/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got to Ferenia and I'm not sure what to do against this first encounter, nothing seems to work against him unless I'm missing some visual cues...

Also, I love the game a lot but there's certain things that are just bothering me: Don't care for the EMMIs and their OHKO QTEs, I just don't find them to be any fun to encounter or run from. The controls are both great and baffling, Samus feels really good to control but then there's dumb poo poo like having to hold a button then press fire just for a missile or grapple beam... those should have just been stand alone buttons. Why do I need a "hold to toggle?" Aiming to grapple when I'm on a mag wall requires me to hold two shoulder buttons and then press fire. Really could have simplified it. The D-Pad being useless (so far) is weird, could of placed toggles on that as well or a Weapon Switch.

edit: The way Samus melts like butter makes her feel so bitch-made, they turned Samus into a weird-rear end glass cannon.

sigher fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 16, 2021