Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Gnarvel

Lol what a horrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey guys didnt you know that Deus Ex Human Revolution has a non existent poster for a Final Fantasy game?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

The Rocky films are referenced so much in all kinds of media that I would think a lot of people would at least know a little about them through social osmosis enough to get the joke. The joke is simply there were five Rockys when that episode aired, and even then people were like “lol there’s a lot of Rocky movies!” That”s all.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna look for Bonestorm for the SNES and some McBain Blu-rays on eBay which totally exist and are totally real.

as i've mentioned more than once by now, there being 7 rocky movies might have been a funny line if that's all it was doing. but i was specifically calling out clarification for the subtitle because "Adrian's Revenge" sounds so specific, and AGAIN, as someone who never saw any rocky films, i wouldn't have any clue what the hell that was referencing

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

as i've mentioned more than once by now, there being 7 rocky movies might have been a funny line if that's all it was doing. but i was specifically calling out clarification for the subtitle because "Adrian's Revenge" sounds so specific, and AGAIN, as someone who never saw any rocky films, i wouldn't have any clue what the hell that was referencing

Babies like you need the most attention.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Shows like the Simpsons especially in the good years always packed in a lot of jokes that aren't necessarily meant to be "gotten" by all of the viewers at all times. Some jokes only make sense once you come back later in life after finally seeing the movies referenced and are very YMMV.

Like kid me had no idea who Ernest Borgnine was, and after seeing the Devil's Rain as a teenager did that cameo start becoming kind of kooky but not quite funny. Seeing it again more recently I appreciate it more for its absurdity as of course kids and boy scouts wouldn't know or care about him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

iamsosmrt posted:

Shows like the Simpsons especially in the good years always packed in a lot of jokes that aren't necessarily meant to be "gotten" by all of the viewers at all times. Some jokes only make sense once you come back later in life after finally seeing the movies referenced and are very YMMV.

Like kid me had no idea who Ernest Borgnine was, and after seeing the Devil's Rain as a teenager did that cameo start becoming kind of kooky but not quite funny. Seeing it again more recently I appreciate it more for its absurdity as of course kids and boy scouts wouldn't know or care about him.

Yeah, or in the Freddy Quimby ep when Bart thinks the court system works “just ask Claus von Bülow.” I had no idea what that meant for years.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, or in the Freddy Quimby ep when Bart thinks the court system works “just ask Claus von Bülow.” I had no idea what that meant for years.

bart, don’t you know who that is? it’s famous defense lawyer alan dershowitz!

hi, lisa!

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

You Are A Elf posted:

Mocky Malmoa

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

Watching Citizen Kane for the first time was like a religious experience, seeing hundreds of Simpsons jokes click into place one after another.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably been said before, but one of the big strengths of Golden Age Simpsons is that there's be rapid-fire jokes and pop culture references they clearly don't expect every audience member to get, and the scenes are still funny if you don't. It makes sense considering they're writing for an audience of various ages and backgrounds, like how the iconic image of the show is the entire family sitting in front of the TV. It's like one of the few shows that really gets that and makes sure there's something for everyone.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tree Goat posted:

alan dershman

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Watching Citizen Kane for the first time was like a religious experience, seeing hundreds of Simpsons jokes click into place one after another.

the cane was my favorite character

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Mr Interweb posted:

Not sure the mockery here is warranted

Maybe not mockery but certainly some light ribbing is in order. I say you should accept it with grace, poise and dignity!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

so i randomly caught a video rec on YT of patrick willems where he talked about his favorite episode, Lemon of Troy, and thought i'd watch that next. great episode of course, but one thing always bugged me since i was a kid. it's that scene where bart's in that room with the tiger cages that have roman numerals on them. now i'll preface this by saying i haven't seen the rocky films, but at the time the episode aired, there were only 5 rocky films. so what the hell is rocky VII: adrian's revenge?

Along the lines of being a huge moron, I only recently realized that Marges line "You don't want something that overshadows the pencils" did not literally refer to giving the pencils too much shade

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

I took my friend to see Citizen Kane in theaters a few years back and it was amazing to see him experience all the little moments that they put in The Simpsons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this is why they've replaced all the parodies with just 'Mapple' and 'The Revengers' or whatever

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Das Boo posted:

Was not expecting this being the reason for 20 posts.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
part of the reason the Rocky movies were a common joke at the time is that movies generally just didn't have sequels like they do now. or good and/or popular movies didn't.

things like Star Wars and the Godfather were relative outliers. it wasn't unheard of or anything, but it was still a fairly novel idea that there'd be enough story and enough interest to fill out 8 hours of Rocky or whatever that boils down to.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Empty Sandwich posted:

part of the reason the Rocky movies were a common joke at the time is that movies generally just didn't have sequels like they do now. or good and/or popular movies didn't.

things like Star Wars and the Godfather were relative outliers. it wasn't unheard of or anything, but it was still a fairly novel idea that there'd be enough story and enough interest to fill out 8 hours of Rocky or whatever that boils down to.

yes and the other joke is that, as the writers would make more and more sequels, they would be increasingly strapped for ideas and the resulting products would be increasingly outlandish and poor quality. so having a “rocky vii: adrian’s revenge” would be as wacky as, say, having a “the simpsons dcxvi: a made maggie (guest starring joe mantegna as fat tony),” for instance

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I genuinely thought Moe was reading the actual ending of Little Women and the only joke was that he was secretly a big softie until I was very old

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Karma Tornado posted:

I genuinely thought Moe was reading the actual ending of Little Women and the only joke was that he was secretly a big softie until I was very old

Wait, what's the joke then?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

No wonder this forum had a giant "that's where I'm a viking" derail

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Skrill.exe posted:

Wait, what's the joke then?

The joke is both that Moe is crying reading the book, and that it would end on such a preposterously cheap, hamfisted sentence - "And then they realized they were no longer little girls, they were little women"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Someone's going to have to explain the viking thing to me.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

It's not?!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The ending of Little Women has all of the main characters die and become ghosts, forever trapped in an abandoned mansion overgrown with vines

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don't see Adrian's Revenge anywhere?????

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Someone's going to have to explain the viking thing to me.

There's a scene where Ms Hoover tells Ralph to take a nap. He says "Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" There are two popular interpretations of this controversial line:

1) Ralph thinks he literally becomes a viking while he's asleep, not realizing that it's just a dream.

2) Ralph thinks he's very skilled at sleeping, and the term "<verb> is where I'm a viking" is either an obscure term to mean being skilled at something, or Ralph thinks it's a term when it's not.

This has led to several derails and arguments on this forum and others.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

I don't see Adrian's Revenge anywhere?????

That's Rocky VII, a whole XXXI Rockys ago!

E: Ralph doesn't say "I'm a viking", he says "I'm viking" that's the whole reason for the confusion.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Ohh, so it's basically the ever seen a man say goodbye to his shoe dilemma?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

That's Rocky VII, a whole XXXI Rockys ago!

E: Ralph doesn't say "I'm a viking", he says "I'm viking" that's the whole reason for the confusion.

What no there's a clearly pronounced 'a' in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thvhUSmXfAg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

what? is this some new meta-trolling version of this stupid debate, because he definitely doesnt

e:multijoe was more viking at posting I guess

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He said get their clones

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

multijoe posted:

What no there's a clearly pronounced 'a' in there

Nice deepfake.

(ok i thought the language/audio was ambiguous, hence the debate, but hearing it again the debate seems even dumber)

multijoe posted:

He said get their clones

Gallant salute/gay little salute.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Ohh, so it's basically the ever seen a man say goodbye to his shoe dilemma?

It was a boaking accident

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'll explain how wrong you are but first I need to grab something out of my car hold

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember when goons thought for the longest time that the lyrics for the family guy theme song were "effing cry"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a player for the Chiefs named Sneed and I always think of The Simpsons whenever the announcers mention him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Calaveron posted:

Remember when goons thought for the longest time that the lyrics for the family guy theme song were "effing cry"?

When Family Guy first aired when I was 9, I thought Stewie said "Poop and Cry"