Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

You can blame the court system. For a very long time faxes were given more legal weight than email. Even today, you'll get people saying that they are exempt from a lot of security controls.

Which has led to one of the more disgusting terms I’d ever hear about, and learned here, the “wet signature “.

I’ll need you to sign this, and make it sloppy wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Which has led to one of the more disgusting terms I’d ever hear about, and learned here, the “wet signature “.

I’ll need you to sign this, and make it sloppy wet.

Yelling "slop em up boys" and pouring my water glass all over my mortgage paperwork

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

I absolutely agree with you that phone numbers should be reusable. I apologize that my decision to do it this way has caused such headaches for you and countless others. I’ll go dip into the auth code straight away and get that fixed right up.

Thanks buddy! Y'know, I've always said Agrikk was a pal - a real mensch. He's gonna fix it right up just for me, that's the kind of great service you just don't get these days. Can't wait.

Bob Morales posted:

One place I worked people raged about taking faces away

Most of the fax machines were double digits for the year

One or two were being used regularly but that was it.

Gotta be honest, Bob, I'd rage about someone taking my face away too. I mean you do you, but that falls under "completely unacceptable in a work environment" in my book.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

carry on then posted:

Yelling "slop em up boys" and pouring my water glass all over my mortgage paperwork

:gonk:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
All of our engineering documents are e-signed and emailed at work, I haven't seen a physical engineering copy with a PE stamp since 2018 or 2019. When I need to e-sign a special order, I have a few signatures I did on my phone and have as set up digital signatures. Slap one of those on the relevant line and it e-signs and it's valid for everyone's purpose.

I don't understand the demand for wet signatures these days.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm auditing a training class with our production engineering team/server staff. The trainer just went on a rant about Novell. What decade am I in?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the spyder posted:

I'm auditing a training class with our production engineering team/server staff. The trainer just went on a rant about Novell. What decade am I in?

Novell leaves scars that can take a lifetime to fade. Don't judge.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

e: whoops, wrong tab

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Proteus Jones posted:

Novell leaves scars that can take a lifetime to fade. Don't judge.

Let me introduce you to my network IDs BEADGCF, ABACAB and BAAAD

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Not pissing me off but making me laugh.

We're moving to a completely new EMR system and installing new credit card readers. Well we did an initial setup/test of them a few months ago and I noticed a bunch of Chinese wifi networks were saved in the configs, the team running that side of the project said that's not a big deal. These at their basic form are just android devices running some sort of custom build.

Well today we find out the CC readers were having an issue making connections so our network security team started looking into it and come to find out, all the CC readers were trying to reach out to a chinese server to do a firmware update, which was being blocked because, well China.

Ya guys, I'm sure whatever random company in China you bought these from is totally trust worthy with an entire hospital systems credit card payments..totally.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

carry on then posted:

I'll bet babies cry when you hold them

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

We're moving to a completely new EMR system and installing new credit card readers. Well we did an initial setup/test of them a few months ago and I noticed a bunch of Chinese wifi networks were saved in the configs, the team running that side of the project said that's not a big deal. These at their basic form are just android devices running some sort of custom build.

Well today we find out the CC readers were having an issue making connections so our network security team started looking into it and come to find out, all the CC readers were trying to reach out to a chinese server to do a firmware update, which was being blocked because, well China.

Ya guys, I'm sure whatever random company in China you bought these from is totally trust worthy with an entire hospital systems credit card payments..totally.

Yeesh.

Also, I wish you luck in the days ahead for that EMR swap.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just got rejected for my yearly merit increase (not even Cost of Living increase) because, and I quote "you're on the high end of the pay scale ratio."

What's a pay scale ratio? Well, that's where you take everyone at a particular job level. You figure out what percentage of total wages spent that level are spent on an individual. You then put all those on a spreadsheet, find the mid point, and disqualify anyone over the mid point from getting raises.

So basically I make too much to get raises.

Meanwhile, company is expected to announce record profits for the third quarter in a row.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ConfusedUs posted:

I just got rejected for my yearly merit increase (not even Cost of Living increase) because, and I quote "you're on the high end of the pay scale ratio."

What's a pay scale ratio? Well, that's where you take everyone at a particular job level. You figure out what percentage of total wages spent that level are spent on an individual. You then put all those on a spreadsheet, find the mid point, and disqualify anyone over the mid point from getting raises.

Meanwhile, company is expected to announce record profits for the third quarter in a row.

How many resumes are being submitted elsewhere by the top earners right now?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zil posted:

How many resumes are being submitted elsewhere by the top earners right now?

Presumably, all of them.

Company has been suffering badly from brain drain for a year or so for lovely policies. I expect they'll lose half of what's left.

Some bean counter probably takes this as a win.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

:psyduck:

Don't card readers come from Verifone or Ingenico and your payment provider supply them?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Yeesh.

Also, I wish you luck in the days ahead for that EMR swap.

We're going from Cerner to Epic, across 50+ hospitals. It's uhhh, been a lot of fun so far and we are still 5 months or so from going live.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Time to :yotj:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Agreed .

Orgs are learning they have less leverage now , but not all of them get it . I’ve seen more postings at shittier pay and terms lately - as yeah sure there are more candidates in the pool. Feels like a chicken game though, and some of these places are going to adapt and pay up if they want to attract talent.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

:psyduck:

Don't card readers come from Verifone or Ingenico and your payment provider supply them?

So I looked this morning, these CC readers are from a company called PAX Technology Limited, which is based out of Shenzhen lol

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Has anybody looked in to project management/task management in Office 365 recently? It's a loving mess, and it's pissing me off.

We're looking to get internal departments off of our on-prem Redmine server, and have started looking at the Microsoft tools for replacements. Right now, there's three different versions of Microsoft Project, all with different backends, so they have different feature sets, limitations, quirks and gaps.

Then they have Planner, which does task management and assignment.

But wait! There's Microsoft Lists, which has the same look and feel as Planner, and can do more or less the same thing.

And did I mention you can export Planner data to some versions of Project, but not others?

Did I also mention you can back up and restore the data of one version of Project, but not others? And retention policy isn't supported on Planner?

Goddammit, this such a loving nightmare. Our departments have been resistant to migrating off the current platform already, and with all these half-baked products they're going to raise hell about switching to one of them. There's always a missing feature, which is included in a different O365 product, but THAT product has missing features of its own. Get your poo poo together, MS.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 13, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's poo poo. Use Asana and SSO it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Sounds like they need a good project management tool to help them manage their product development.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Printers printers printers PRINTERS printers printers printers.

The Latest Win10 patch for PrintNightmare (KB5005565) is loving everything. Breaks OneDrive, Office programs, Adobe Acrobat...oh, and our Network morons finally Did Stuff about PrintNightmare from the print server side, so everyone and their brother's uncle is calling in about the DO YOU TRUST THIS DEVICE prompt they get for each and every loving printer.

PLUS we're still trying to get all the bonehead literal farmers and cowboys who moved offices from the burbs to downtown set up on THEIR loving cavalcade of printers. There's literally almost 1 MFP/person!

E: OH AND! The heating for the ENTIRE BUILDING is out and because of 1950s design quirks, despite the building services peeps turning up the supply air temperature, no warm air actually REACHES the fourth floor where I sit. So I'm loving COLD all day.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2021

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It seems cooler heads did not prevail

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dragonshardz posted:

E: OH AND! The heating for the ENTIRE BUILDING is out and because of 1950s design quirks, despite the building services peeps turning up the supply air temperature, no warm air actually REACHES the fourth floor where I sit. So I'm loving COLD all day.

This bit reminds me of when I worked for a company that decided to cram so many people into its office building (by ripping out breakout areas and meeting spaces to shove more desks in, and by telling non front line people like me that I had to work at home at least one day a week) that the air conditioning could no longer actually deal with the heat all those bodies were generating. One morning, during a heat wave, we came into the office to find that somehow it had dumped puddles of water out of the vents and all over the carpet and desks, taking out a few desktops. Facilities management - not a job I'd ever want to do.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

We're migrating from a 5 year old lovely finance system that the entire company depends on to a newer version. We're also building it in Azure this time around.

Consultant from the vendor of lovely system spent about two weeks building it.

We rebooted it today to resize the VM in prep for go-live and it broke, half of it is just loving gone.

Turns out the consultant put some of the DBs, half of the software and a lot of the config onto the ephemeral drive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

This bit reminds me of when I worked for a company that decided to cram so many people into its office building (by ripping out breakout areas and meeting spaces to shove more desks in, and by telling non front line people like me that I had to work at home at least one day a week) that the air conditioning could no longer actually deal with the heat all those bodies were generating. One morning, during a heat wave, we came into the office to find that somehow it had dumped puddles of water out of the vents and all over the carpet and desks, taking out a few desktops. Facilities management - not a job I'd ever want to do.

This seems familiar to me. Was that the place where they decided no one could have a permanent desk either? And there was some half finished floor they wanted people to start using or something?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Proteus Jones posted:

This seems familiar to me. Was that the place where they decided no one could have a permanent desk either? And there was some half finished floor they wanted people to start using or something?

No half finished floors but yeah, hotdesking was absolutely a thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lum posted:

We're migrating from a 5 year old lovely finance system that the entire company depends on to a newer version. We're also building it in Azure this time around.

We rebooted it today to resize the VM in prep for go-live and it broke, half of it is just loving gone.

Turns out the consultant put some of the DBs, half of the software and a lot of the config onto the ephemeral drive.

At least you found out at the right time

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah and it wasn't my problem either so I'm just finding it hilarious.

In other news I skipped the work night out a few weeks back, but apparently my bosses boss got drunk and then went full Karen on the bar staff at a craft beer bar because they didn't have Heineken

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Lum posted:

went full Karen on the bar staff at a craft beer bar because they didn't have Heineken

There's so many things wrong with this, it's amazing. :allears:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lum posted:

I remember hearing about a bitcoin exchange that completely disappeared after a reboot for the same reason.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

capitalcomma posted:

Has anybody looked in to project management/task management in Office 365 recently? It's a loving mess, and it's pissing me off.

We're looking to get internal departments off of our on-prem Redmine server, and have started looking at the Microsoft tools for replacements. Right now, there's three different versions of Microsoft Project, all with different backends, so they have different feature sets, limitations, quirks and gaps.

Then they have Planner, which does task management and assignment.

But wait! There's Microsoft Lists, which has the same look and feel as Planner, and can do more or less the same thing.

And did I mention you can export Planner data to some versions of Project, but not others?

Did I also mention you can back up and restore the data of one version of Project, but not others? And retention policy isn't supported on Planner?

Goddammit, this such a loving nightmare. Our departments have been resistant to migrating off the current platform already, and with all these half-baked products they're going to raise hell about switching to one of them. There's always a missing feature, which is included in a different O365 product, but THAT product has missing features of its own. Get your poo poo together, MS.

There is only one project management software in 365 and it’s called project 365. Lists is not a project management platform, it’s a low complexity data storage platform. Planner is a cheap task manager which is fine if you don’t ever need to go beyond simple kanban boards or simple items. Given that redmine seems to be designed around code developing I would suggest you trial azure devops which include tasks/issues management.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: cutesey animations in mandatory trainings.

Why yes, I do want to be lectured about how not to sexually harass people by an animated plant named Phil O'Dendron. Who wouldn't? Hahahahhakillme

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Oh man, I sure love getting thrown under the bus.

We have a couple of SSID's pushed on our APs, one of them is a sponsored portal that will approve a device for a year. That is usually to help less technically minded people connect.
A new director wants me to remove it, he says its too slow and people don't like it. He doesn't say who has this problem, just he doesn't like it. But he's my boss's boss, so I put in a change order and do it.

Today I get some asking why its gone, and I say "this person had me remove it" they ask him and he emails me "Did we remove this?" I respond with yes, and asks why it wasn't communicated. I mean, it when the change management group, and managers and such are on there.

So yay, incoming bus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Oh man, I sure love getting thrown under the bus.

We have a couple of SSID's pushed on our APs, one of them is a sponsored portal that will approve a device for a year. That is usually to help less technically minded people connect.
A new director wants me to remove it, he says its too slow and people don't like it. He doesn't say who has this problem, just he doesn't like it. But he's my boss's boss, so I put in a change order and do it.

Today I get some asking why its gone, and I say "this person had me remove it" they ask him and he emails me "Did we remove this?" I respond with yes, and asks why it wasn't communicated. I mean, it when the change management group, and managers and such are on there.

So yay, incoming bus.

Please tell me you have an email document chain of his command to remove it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Please tell me you have an email document chain of his command to remove it.

Yep. He just came back an hour later "Well, put it back, we'll take this off when we figure out how to communicate it" and has not mentioned it again.

Did get asked how I'd communicate this out, I told him I didn't have a way really. I just keep it running.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My boss gave me a Mini Displayport to Display Port cable back...said it was 'for a printer'. Confusing MiniDP with USB-B I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The batteries in my Cyberpower UPS are like 3.5 years old right now, I'm loosely looking for new ones (among other reasons reports that they poo poo the bed around that age), except I can't find them anywhere here in Europe, and the very verrrry few shops that have them listed are all out of stock. Awesome.

I'm about to rage buy an APC. But the next best sinewave one of theirs with the same capacity is nearly 500 eurobux.