Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

Otis is definitely an inspiration. There are a number of pretty cool 955/957 builds popping up. This one is local: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a23548529/porsche-cayenne-off-roader/

I can't compete with that. Mine is just a tow beast and rally truck.

Please continue to do very stupid things with this underappreciated platform. I have no idea how I will replace this thing with just one vehicle when it's too old to be worth running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All one needs to acknowledge is that the average Jeep is cheaper but also missing basically everything for even just trail use. A while back my buddy and I were speculating that a Toyota FJ gets more offroad function out of the box than about ten grand dumped into an older Wrangler and is hilariously better onroad too.

Now Cayennes are getting down to where FJs are getting up to. Too bad the Touraeg never got a decent aftermarket that could be cross-fitted.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My 993 is finally perfect! The shop installed PSS10s (currently set pretty close to full soft), replaced all the control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, toe links, lowered the car about half an inch, did a corner balance (1,212lb in front, 1,918lb in back for 39/61 f/r, in case you're wondering about the weight distribution of a 993 cab) and the first alignment the car's had in like a decade. They also put in new hood struts, steel brake lines, and replaced all fluids

I rather like the way she sits now. They swore there would be no durability issues with 21mm spacers in front and 15mm in the rear, and I took them at their word

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Looks very good my guy, time for a nice morning drive!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

H110Hawk posted:

:negative:

Just had to pass up a paid trip to the LA Porsche Experience Center. Our current childcare situation there just isn't a day I can take off for something that frivolous right now and I needed to vent somewhere.

poo poo ill look after your kids

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i don't post much in ai but i should. i wrote up a big post here but this is the porsche thread so i'll trim it down to be more specific. i've always wanted to be a porsche owner but my shitbox proclivities have always kept me away from them. it makes me afraid to think of buying an expensive car and then beating the hell out of it. i bought a first gen rx-7 earlier this year which has an immaculate body and it's been really stressful daily driving it because i want to maintain the exterior paint quality lol.

anyway i'm done with the rx-7 and thinking about the next thing, i'd love to get an old german rear-engined car and swap a rotary into it. something has sort of fallen into my lap, there's a guy i know who linked me up with another guy who collects 914s and has 16 (i think he said 16) of them in his backyard in various states. thinking of grabbing one and pulling the engine and putting a mazda 12a in it. anyone have any experience or insights here? i think it should be pretty straightfoward but i'd like to see if anyone has some firsthand experience

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Interesting idea, and I have zero input with the swap. But from what I understand 914s are very susceptible to rust. They're basically 60s Volkswagens with the associated issues of being such. If this "collector" just had his cars sitting outside in his yard over the years, you could easilt be getting into issues which may make the swap the easiest/least costly part of the job. I've heard of 914 rust horror stories.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Interesting idea, and I have zero input with the swap. But from what I understand 914s are very susceptible to rust. They're basically 60s Volkswagens with the associated issues of being such. If this "collector" just had his cars sitting outside in his yard over the years, you could easilt be getting into issues which may make the swap the easiest/least costly part of the job. I've heard of 914 rust horror stories.

Thanks, I understand them to be that way and have heard the same about them as well. Of all the VW "Porsches", it's my favourite I think because of how weird it is. I plan on taking a close look at the cars before I make a decision, chassis rot is my worst nightmare. I'm totally fine with body panel rust (and even embrace it if it is a surface scale "patina") because I kind of envision a brash, bridgeported and brapping hotrod-esque shitbox feel from this potential project. But yeah I'd prefer to do as little cutting and welding as I can.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Thanks, I understand them to be that way and have heard the same about them as well. Of all the VW "Porsches", it's my favourite I think because of how weird it is. I plan on taking a close look at the cars before I make a decision, chassis rot is my worst nightmare. I'm totally fine with body panel rust (and even embrace it if it is a surface scale "patina") because I kind of envision a brash, bridgeported and brapping hotrod-esque shitbox feel from this potential project. But yeah I'd prefer to do as little cutting and welding as I can.

Take a look under the battery in the engine compartment. It's called "the hellhole" and it's a known design flaw. If someone hadn't addressed it early on it's going to be a disaster and probably not worth fixing. Most 914s that are not currently running and on the road are like this.

Even if there's not currently a massive hole you really want to look at the right side frame rail with rocker cover removed to see what it looks like. If there is any fiberglass anywhere inside or out you should consider it completely trashed, as that was the hack way of "fixing" this issue. The problem is that the area that rots out is 100% structural. You'll start to see the door gaps go wonky, etc. It's basically gonna break in half if let go/not repaired properly, and actual proper repair may or may not be possible depending on how far it's gone. You certainly aren't going to find any scrap ones to cut that section out of, so I hope you're really good at fabricating complex structural unibody sections.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

I hope you're really good at fabricating complex structural unibody sections.

I'm not, and will be running away from structural rot as fast as possible! Thanks for the heads up about problem areas. Upon talking to this guy further, the cars have been mostly stored indoors but not in a humidity/temp controlled area, so they're not sitting in a grass field at least but still, these cars weren't really rust protected so I imagine they're still going to have problems. I'll be going and taking an in-person look this week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Consider the fact that nobody acquires 16 cheap examples of any car because they're all absolutely mint structurally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'm not, and will be running away from structural rot as fast as possible! Thanks for the heads up about problem areas. Upon talking to this guy further, the cars have been mostly stored indoors but not in a humidity/temp controlled area, so they're not sitting in a grass field at least but still, these cars weren't really rust protected so I imagine they're still going to have problems. I'll be going and taking an in-person look this week.

That's better, but the problem with the hell hole has a lot to do with leaking batteries as well as the stupid weep hole at the bottom of that area (which goes through the right side jacking point lol) being instantly clogged by absolutely anything sitting in the bottom of that pan.

It's very unlikely you'll find one in good shape, but best of luck.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A friend that goes through sports cars really fast is offering to sell me his 2018 Boxster GTS (PDK) with 35k that he bought at auction and did some maintenance/repairs/mods to. He says he doesn't really need the second car and they need to buy a car for his daughter soon.

He told me he would sell it for what he paid for it, $65,000. Doing just a tiny bit of research this seems like a great price in the current market and like it would be a very fun car. But then again, a ND2 Miata would probably also be a lot of fun and about half the price.

He says he's done all fluid changes, spark plugs, new brakes, PPF on the front end, and some Cobb tune although I would have to find out exactly what that entails.

Should I do something supremely stupid with my money and buy this? I suspect I could drive it for a year and still sell it without too much difficulty if I decided it was more costly to maintain than I want to bother with.

Any opinions on the 718 Boxster, in general? Do the modern direct injection Porsche engines get carbon buildup or do they have some secondary injectors to clean the intake valves? Anything else I should be wary of for this generation or mileage?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I personally would not buy a 4cyl Porsche (or any 4 cyl car really) for 65k - If it was the flat 6 4.0 I'd go for it, but I'm surprised the 4 bangers held their value so well! If you are considering an ND2, there is plenty in the range of 30k-70k that would be fun and also brand new (ZL1 camaro, mustang gt350/mach1, stripper c8 vette, supra, TT-RS, loaded ND, the new BRZ/86, or even a scatpack/hellcat challenger if you want something silly). if you are concerned about money at all, do not buy a used modded porsche without a warranty. I would also check out a brand new base boxster if you can get one of sticker.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not surprised at all. A GTS 718 with a PDK is a great high spec cruiser car for a certain kind of buyer. Yeah you can probably drive it for a year on just insurance and gas, but not having a manual in this sort of vehicle is a deal breaker personally. Are you just using this to drive on the weekends? If so, a new ND/GRZ (whichever you can actually get) is probably better if you don't need the nice trappings of a porsche for everyday driving.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Voltage posted:

if you are concerned about money at all, do not buy a used modded porsche without a warranty.

ftfy

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MetaJew posted:

Any opinions on the 718 Boxster, in general? Do the modern direct injection Porsche engines get carbon buildup or do they have some secondary injectors to clean the intake valves? Anything else I should be wary of for this generation or mileage?

afaik they do not have secondary injectors, but the ECU has strategies for burning away the deposits. I don't think that works quite as well, but I've not heard of major issues like with Audi

I personally would stay far away from the turbo 4 + PDK combo - not because of performance or reliability issues, but because it to me falls below some crucial threshold for driver engagement. I would especially stay away from a Porsche with engine mods and high-ish mileage (for a 3-yr old Porsche). If you must have a Boxster I suggest a 6-speed 987.2 or 981 in the $40-50K range. If you can get one with service records that hasn't been driven hard/put away wet, they are pretty bulletproof

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

got off on a technicality posted:

afaik they do not have secondary injectors, but the ECU has strategies for burning away the deposits. I don't think that works quite as well, but I've not heard of major issues like with Audi

I personally would stay far away from the turbo 4 + PDK combo - not because of performance or reliability issues, but because it to me falls below some crucial threshold for driver engagement. I would especially stay away from a Porsche with engine mods and high-ish mileage (for a 3-yr old Porsche). If you must have a Boxster I suggest a 6-speed 987.2 or 981 in the $40-50K range. If you can get one with service records that hasn't been driven hard/put away wet, they are pretty bulletproof

These are all fair points from y'all. My friend acknowledges it is "high mileage". I will need to ask him what "mods" he did. I think he put on some aftermarket exhaust and did an off the shelf Cobb tune, but yeah buying a used car, out of warranty with mods is generally not something I would do. The caveat being that I know this guy and he has generally offered to sell me any of his previous cars at a discount when he has moved on. His last few were an MS3, Elise, XK-R, Alfa 4c, Fiata, and now the Boxster GTS.

As for the PDK, my wife had a 2016 TTS prior to getting the Model Y, and her stipulation for selling her fun car was that I had to swap my MS3 out for something less practical. So, the DSG was as "fun" as an automatic car could be, but I never had the chance to take it to an autocross or track day. And, I own a motorcycle which I do track days on so as fun as a manual transmission car is, having a fun car that the wife could still drive probably wouldn't be so bad.

Lastly, as far as usage goes, we've worked from home since early 2020 with no sign that we'll be working back in the office full-time anytime soon. In that time we obviously haven't done much driving, and when my office does open back up, it's about a 3-4 mile drive. So it'd be my occasional commuter and weekend car.

Otherwise, I've been browsing for an ND2 Miata club with recaros, possibly a 2021 Supra 3.0 but I haven't had a chance to test drive one, and then I'm looking on craigslist and rennlist for something like a 987.2 boxster s, or something of the sort that either doesn't have IMS issues or has had all the service done.

My gut feeling is that a Miata or Supra would be the most enjoyable per dollar and generally be pretty reliable. While I can probably afford whatever might come along with the 718 Boxster, I still tend to be frugal which is why I've kept my MS3 for ~10 years now. Most of those 10 years has been pretty headache free, as well up until recently as plastic parts have started to deteriorate.

The New BRZ/FRS/86 whatever it's called is not a bad idea, but I am partial to the idea of getting a convertible.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

MetaJew posted:

These are all fair points from y'all. My friend acknowledges it is "high mileage". I will need to ask him what "mods" he did. I think he put on some aftermarket exhaust and did an off the shelf Cobb tune, but yeah buying a used car, out of warranty with mods is generally not something I would do. The caveat being that I know this guy and he has generally offered to sell me any of his previous cars at a discount when he has moved on. His last few were an MS3, Elise, XK-R, Alfa 4c, Fiata, and now the Boxster GTS.

As for the PDK, my wife had a 2016 TTS prior to getting the Model Y, and her stipulation for selling her fun car was that I had to swap my MS3 out for something less practical. So, the DSG was as "fun" as an automatic car could be, but I never had the chance to take it to an autocross or track day. And, I own a motorcycle which I do track days on so as fun as a manual transmission car is, having a fun car that the wife could still drive probably wouldn't be so bad.

Lastly, as far as usage goes, we've worked from home since early 2020 with no sign that we'll be working back in the office full-time anytime soon. In that time we obviously haven't done much driving, and when my office does open back up, it's about a 3-4 mile drive. So it'd be my occasional commuter and weekend car.

Otherwise, I've been browsing for an ND2 Miata club with recaros, possibly a 2021 Supra 3.0 but I haven't had a chance to test drive one, and then I'm looking on craigslist and rennlist for something like a 987.2 boxster s, or something of the sort that either doesn't have IMS issues or has had all the service done.

My gut feeling is that a Miata or Supra would be the most enjoyable per dollar and generally be pretty reliable. While I can probably afford whatever might come along with the 718 Boxster, I still tend to be frugal which is why I've kept my MS3 for ~10 years now. Most of those 10 years has been pretty headache free, as well up until recently as plastic parts have started to deteriorate.

The New BRZ/FRS/86 whatever it's called is not a bad idea, but I am partial to the idea of getting a convertible.

For what its worth: I would get an ND over a base 981 Cayman (the 718 is much faster and capable, however). I say this because I test drove a base Cayman when wanting to replace my '16 ND. The Cayman did not feel that much faster, and was way less engaging to drive. The ND Miata is an amazing creation. I previous had an E92 M3 Comp (orignal owner; picked up from Germany), and the ND put a gigantic smile on face the day I test drove it, and I never looked back at the M3. The Cayman did not elicit the same feelings (also because it was 2x the price).

Go test drive an ND.

(p.s., I ended up getting a 991.1 C2 7MT to replace the ND).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

King-Kong posted:

For what its worth: I would get an ND over a base 981 Cayman (the 718 is much faster and capable, however). I say this because I test drove a base Cayman when wanting to replace my '16 ND. The Cayman did not feel that much faster, and was way less engaging to drive. The ND Miata is an amazing creation. I previous had an E92 M3 Comp (orignal owner; picked up from Germany), and the ND put a gigantic smile on face the day I test drove it, and I never looked back at the M3. The Cayman did not elicit the same feelings (also because it was 2x the price).

Go test drive an ND.

I still need to drive my friend's 30th Anniversary ND2, but am I stupid to keep seeing 986 Boxster S-es and thinking they look kinda neat? I have bad luck with gas tanks failing, but this looks like it is well maintained.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2001-porsche-boxster-58k-miles/7403542090.html

I was at the Mazda dealership today and from what I can tell there are no new Miatas for sale. The dealership has one RF club allocated, but it's on a boat.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 5, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

King-Kong posted:

For what its worth: I would get an ND over a base 981 Cayman (the 718 is much faster and capable, however). I say this because I test drove a base Cayman when wanting to replace my '16 ND. The Cayman did not feel that much faster, and was way less engaging to drive.

The power difference between Base and S is quite a bit narrower in the 718, especially in torque range. Magic of turbos and whatnot. Base 987s and 981s are wheezy but at least the 981 is ostensibly lighter.

Caymans are cursed to never feel fast and one can appreciate how that affects opinions of them. It goes beyond the 'slow car fast, fast car slow' dichotomy.

MetaJew posted:

I still need to drive my friend's 30th Anniversary ND2, but am I stupid to keep seeing 986 Boxster S-es and thinking they look kinda neat? I have bad luck with gas tanks failing, but this looks like it is well maintained.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2001-porsche-boxster-58k-miles/7403542090.html

Here I was thinking you could do a lot better for $20k, but holy poo poo have things exploded. That was 2010 Boxster prices just over a year ago. The 2001 Boxster S I looked at was $11k and had half the miles (and no cruise control :commissar:).

I have a wicked aversion to soft tops (PNW isn't kind) but that's still a nice one. Maybe a little confused that they would dump a bunch of work into it in January and sell it the next fall. Cashing in on the bubble I guess.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 5, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King-Kong posted:

Go test drive an ND.

Oh that's interesting. I've been lurking here forever since I'm constantly on the edge of looking for a cayman (S). But this is what it always comes down to. Wouldn't an ND2 be just as, if not more fun with less ownership headaches? Maybe.. But then is the ND that much more fun than the NB that I already have? At least in a way that can't be fixed with a few grand of mods? Uhhhh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh that's interesting. I've been lurking here forever since I'm constantly on the edge of looking for a cayman (S). But this is what it always comes down to. Wouldn't an ND2 be just as, if not more fun with less ownership headaches? Maybe.. But then is the ND that much more fun than the NB that I already have? At least in a way that can't be fixed with a few grand of mods? Uhhhh

Sometimes change is just what you need to make things feel new again. Sometimes there's not enough change to be done to scratch that itch.

If you're getting bored with the NB trying something completely different might help you decide what you really want.

Got anything interesting near you on Turo or some other car rental site so you can try something out for a few days at a time?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo ill look after your kids

:v: Thanks! Next time. I can see no problems with this.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Motronic posted:

Sometimes change is just what you need to make things feel new again. Sometimes there's not enough change to be done to scratch that itch.

Especially when a simple guided test drive around three city blocks isn't gonna tell you a damned thing. When I was looking at my 981 they just had me sign a thing and handed me the keys and expected me back in half an hour or so ... right near some of my old back roads.

Coming from pickup trucks and a 1995 2.8 Z3 as RWD references, and the Saturn as my daily, it wasn't power that had my attention, but that the whole drat car would pivot on the rear wheels instead of the front. This was something I already knew I was getting into, as I'd been looking at Caymans and MR2s (and a few Lotuses I guess) and joked that I needed snap oversteer in my life. I had to be on a familiar corner and driving in a way that would kick the rear end right out in the Z3 to appreciate it, and there was still a huge margin of on-throttle cornering to get into from there. It's a different sensation that requires driving in a way that would absolutely hoon a FR car but is just normal carving for the Cayman.

My Cayman isn't fun until one is driving it in a manner normally incompatible with RWD cars. It kinda mutates into a different stance as one pushes past neutral throttle mid-corner, and will squat into the outer rear tire and just turn even harder, and that initial sensation might cause one to lift. I can't imagine it being any fun at all to drive like a live-axle Mustang all the time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ranzear posted:

The power difference between Base and S is quite a bit narrower in the 718, especially in torque range. Magic of turbos and whatnot. Base 987s and 981s are wheezy but at least the 981 is ostensibly lighter.

Caymans are cursed to never feel fast and one can appreciate how that affects opinions of them. It goes beyond the 'slow car fast, fast car slow' dichotomy.

Here I was thinking you could do a lot better for $20k, but holy poo poo have things exploded. That was 2010 Boxster prices just over a year ago. The 2001 Boxster S I looked at was $11k and had half the miles (and no cruise control :commissar:).

I have a wicked aversion to soft tops (PNW isn't kind) but that's still a nice one. Maybe a little confused that they would dump a bunch of work into it in January and sell it the next fall. Cashing in on the bubble I guess.

I feel like I got a steal with my 2001 S for $10,500 just a couple months ago. And, I cleaned out half the garage for storing mine because you are right, the PNW is not nice to convertibles. Mine has a newer top with the glass so I really want to make sure it lasts :)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

My Cayman isn't fun until one is driving it in a manner normally incompatible with RWD cars. It kinda mutates into a different stance as one pushes past neutral throttle mid-corner, and will squat into the outer rear tire and just turn even harder, and that initial sensation might cause one to lift. I can't imagine it being any fun at all to drive like a live-axle Mustang all the time.
My Cayman definitely taught me to be heavy on mid-corner throttle. It was a habit I had to unlearn for other cars

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Little fingers good for polishing 100 spoke wheels!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ranzear posted:

I mean, that is how RWD cars should work. Throttle to negate the need for steering angle and neutralize front push on exit

What you're describing is a car that sounds like it is well balanced for your pace, which is a great feeling

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 7, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Boxsters I have owned drove differently than the RWD cars I have owned being more balanced and hard to throw around. This I assume is mostly due to the engine being in the middle rather than RWD Skylines, Supras and my 392 Hemi Challenger where the engine is in the front so the rear steps out when you give it enough throttle and steering angle.

I feel much more confidence pushing the Boxster into corners. Of course if I wanted to just go around a track as fast as possible with as little effort as possible I would just have a R35 and leave all the driving aids on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

The Boxsters I have owned drove differently than the RWD cars I have owned being more balanced and hard to throw around. This I assume is mostly due to the engine being in the middle rather than RWD Skylines, Supras and my 392 Hemi Challenger where the engine is in the front so the rear steps out when you give it enough throttle and steering angle.

I feel much more confidence pushing the Boxster into corners. Of course if I wanted to just go around a track as fast as possible with as little effort as possible I would just have a R35 and leave all the driving aids on.

I made the mistake of not checking the thread title when I replied originally, now I'm in a hole :v:

I was just trying to say that a properly balanced RWD car acts in the way that was described. You can tip the car into the corner on the brakes and release quickly/slowly enough to get the car rotating how you're comfortable, you can go right back to throttle to maintain some slip and not push the front, and you can start feeding in more throttle early so the car is rotating enough on exit and you're not pushing out wide causing you to lift. I understand what you're saying about the majority of cars out of the box basically push everywhere or easily go from push to a lot of oversteer in a small window via adding throttle or lifting abruptly.

vvv: Ohhhh, my mistake (again), I gotcha :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 7, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I agree, I was just adding my experience of driving something big with an engine at the front compared to how it feels driving a lighter mid engined car. Driving the Boxster at first I was very slow as I had not yet worked out how much more throttle I could use in corners and how my entry speed could be higher as well.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm looking for a long range tourer that's luxurious inside and also hopefully fun to drive. I realized that 2010ish Panamera Ses are in my price range, and wife really wants one. How are they? Ideally, I want a car that's fairly relaxing after 10+ hours on a highway. I'm comfortable with high maintenance costs, but not with high danger of breakdowns. Would a Panamera work for this purpose?

I'm cross shopping it with a fairly wide range of cars: similar age A7, Jag XJ/XF/XK, Mercedes CLS, or newish Kia Stinger, Volvo S60, S90, 3 series, 5 series, A-class, C-class, E-Class, CLA, A3-5

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Parents might be getting a Porsche McCaan because there are no other cars anywhere else apparently. Is it good?

EDIT: Dealership wanted us to put $7500 down, pay $1000 a month, for 12,000m/yr for 39 months for a 2021 v4 when 2022 are coming in January. I guess they didn't want the business.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

H110Hawk posted:

they will learn some new and interesting words!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they will learn some new and interesting words!!

There was a time when I was convinced my kid's first word was going to be ohforfuckssake. I hope you enjoy a challenge.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

Parents might be getting a Porsche McCaan because there are no other cars anywhere else apparently. Is it good?

EDIT: Dealership wanted us to put $7500 down, pay $1000 a month, for 12,000m/yr for 39 months for a 2021 v4 when 2022 are coming in January. I guess they didn't want the business.

They are fine but that is too much to payout to rent a car for 3 years. It would be interesting to see what the purchase price and residual was on the proposal. Near me in Phoenix a base Macan is listed for around $70k which would mean that your parents would be paying $45,500 so for the sake of argument taking into account fees, taxes etc... $38k in depreciation which is about $10k more than I would expect. If they think they can get someone to sign that note given current supply issues they have no reason to negotiate on it since they don't know when they will get another in to replace it on the lot. Someone might bite because they need to have a Porsche to take little Timmy to school and one up all the other Soccer Mums with their Audis but your parents did the right thing by walking.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm looking for a long range tourer that's luxurious inside and also hopefully fun to drive. I realized that 2010ish Panamera Ses are in my price range, and wife really wants one. How are they? Ideally, I want a car that's fairly relaxing after 10+ hours on a highway. I'm comfortable with high maintenance costs, but not with high danger of breakdowns. Would a Panamera work for this purpose?

I'm cross shopping it with a fairly wide range of cars: similar age A7, Jag XJ/XF/XK, Mercedes CLS, or newish Kia Stinger, Volvo S60, S90, 3 series, 5 series, A-class, C-class, E-Class, CLA, A3-5

I had a customer at a previous job who drove from AZ to CA weekly and he loved his A7 for that. Bonus points it looks way better than a panamera of that older vintage. Double bonus points for the lift back, this guy put his whole bicycle in the back with room to spare.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BigPaddy posted:

They are fine but that is too much to payout to rent a car for 3 years. It would be interesting to see what the purchase price and residual was on the proposal. Near me in Phoenix a base Macan is listed for around $70k which would mean that your parents would be paying $45,500 so for the sake of argument taking into account fees, taxes etc... $38k in depreciation which is about $10k more than I would expect. If they think they can get someone to sign that note given current supply issues they have no reason to negotiate on it since they don't know when they will get another in to replace it on the lot. Someone might bite because they need to have a Porsche to take little Timmy to school and one up all the other Soccer Mums with their Audis but your parents did the right thing by walking.

We talked to someone else and my parents ended up buying a Macaan for something they felt they were good with. It may or may not come in February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've now internalized people pronouncing 'Macan' in all the ways they pronounce 'Pecan'.