Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tree Bucket posted:

Nothing beats the cinematic experience of watching D U N E on a smudged laptop screen while flicking through facebook on a phone and eating noodles with a plastic fork

hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

We bought an entire row of IMAX tickets the millisecond they were available and an hour later the entire theater was sold out.
There's zero consistency with what number is good or bad at the box office these days but I think either way, WB is gonna be happy.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I've got my tickets for the IMAX showing opening night and nothing short of wormsign the likes of which god has never seen will keep me away

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

stratdax posted:

We bought an entire row of IMAX tickets the millisecond they were available and an hour later the entire theater was sold out.
There's zero consistency with what number is good or bad at the box office these days but I think either way, WB is gonna be happy.

Yeah, I only waited like a day to grab tix but the theater was almost entirely sold when I did. Just in under the wire. :wink:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

it's basically Objectivist sci fi. the big bad is a stand in for totalitarian communism. lmao

The funny thing is that it reads as a parody of objectivism since the world depicted is a ridiculous hellscape and the main character fails at literally everything. But I'm pretty sure its 100% serious.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are there any places in the Boston metro area to see it in IMAX? Jordan's Furniture's theaters are closed (non-Boston goons: don't ask what this means).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

Are there any places in the Boston metro area to see it in IMAX? Jordan's Furniture's theaters are closed (non-Boston goons: don't ask what this means).

Wanna see it at the Mugar Omni Theatre and have my dick blown clear off by the sound system

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do they show full-length movies at Omnimax theatres? I've only ever seen like 1-hour nature documentaries in the Ontario Science Centre dome, and I felt like I was gonna throw up.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 16, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

Do they show full-length movies at Omnimax theatres? I've only ever seen like 1-hour nature documentaries in the Ontario Science Centre some, and I felt like I was gonna throw up.

They do at the World Golf Village in St Augustine but I've never been to a cooler theater than at the Boston science museum

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dunc bombing like a stonecutter, wb execs gettin so many dollar signs in their eyes theyre straight up melting

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Wanna see it at the Mugar Omni Theatre and have my dick blown clear off by the sound system

That curved screen though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Do they show full-length movies at Omnimax theatres? I've only ever seen like 1-hour nature documentaries in the Ontario Science Centre some, and I felt like I was gonna throw up.

They converted the omnimax here into just a gently caress off huge second-run cinema where you can have your rear end blown through your mouth by a gigantic screen and roof shaking atmos for like 4 bux a ticket and it owns.

I saw 2049 and Battle Angel on that screen and you have to tilt your head to see corner to corner. It's glorious.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
https://twitter.com/prufrock451/status/1435707951726092299?t=xuVqTxtHR__04wdQhD5TeA&s=19

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

dunc bombing like a stonecutter, wb execs gettin so many dollar signs in their eyes theyre straight up melting

I always thought that "family atomics" sounded so wholesome. Like a Christmas fruitcake passed down the generations. :shobon:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

THE BAR posted:

I always thought that "family atomics" sounded so wholesome. Like a Christmas fruitcake passed down the generations. :shobon:

The logical endpoint of the nuclear family, I guess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kiimo posted:

They are also anticipating those showings to be sold out so this is a way to tap into the market of people who want to see it immediately but couldn't get tickets. I bet Denis signed off on this.

Also regarding the Butlerian jihad, consider casual viewers that are already trying to find current allegory in what they see. Do you really need to include a SECOND jihad for them to think about?

If I knew nothing about Dune and saw this movie and tried to wrap my brain about the lack of robots I'd just assume we're so far in the future that the humans evolved enough to be better than robots or something. After all, Star Wars is a long time ago and Dune is a fuckton in the future. If you told me Butlerian jihad I would just start getting the jihads confused (because I was high as poo poo) and would start thinking about that instead of enjoying what I was watching.

I do wonder if we'll have people going 'Like... a Jihad of butlers?'

THE BAR posted:

I know, right? And I can't help but wonder if that's the intent, given that's basically implicitly how they maintain their power and authority. Like an ancestral sword.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I get why people say that you can't spoil a 40 year old book, because obviously that's loving dumb to think.
What you can spoil with the reviews and talking about the movie, is all of the the things that make the Denis Villeneuve directed movie different from the David Lynch movie (and even what sets it apart from the mini series), ie. script, cinematography, editing, costumes, and details of that nature as well as perhaps most importantly what's left out of the movie (because before anyone had see it, we all assumed there are something that there was going to be scenes that would be left out, but I'm not sure we agreed on all of them?).

What the solution to this is, I don't have any idea about - nor do I think it's up to me to dictate if spoilers should be used or not.
However that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I get why people say that you can't spoil a 40 year old book, because obviously that's loving dumb to think.
What you can spoil with the reviews and talking about the movie, is all of the the things that make the Denis Villeneuve directed movie different from the David Lynch movie (and even what sets it apart from the mini series), ie. script, cinematography, editing, costumes, and details of that nature as well as perhaps most importantly what's left out of the movie (because before anyone had see it, we all assumed there are something that there was going to be scenes that would be left out, but I'm not sure we agreed on all of them?).

What the solution to this is, I don't have any idea about - nor do I think it's up to me to dictate if spoilers should be used or not.

it's absolutely on the silly end of the spectrum to ask people not to talk about a faithful rendition of the book everyone has read, but putting stuff in spoiler blocks is not a big ask so just roll your eyes and do it imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah my local theatre (Danvers AMC) is showing it in IMAX. I'm still watching it at home.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
not really worried about missing out on the "big screen" experience because all of our movie theaters in vermont suck anyways. Very happy HBO decided on Dune for the masses

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

"the big screen experience" is just a bunch of nonsense anyways, I enjoy movies moreso when I don't have to leave the house and sit with (possibly covid positive) strangers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wat. It’s a way way bigger screen and sound system than I have in my house. Hell yeah I will pay to get blasted by enormous sensory experience

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

wrap it up duncailures

Another example of the Looney Tleilax!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice meltdown

I think it's a stratagem.

Meltdowns within meltdowns....

Hmmm....yes....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster Occultist posted:

"the big screen experience" is just a bunch of nonsense anyways, I enjoy movies moreso when I don't have to leave the house and sit with (possibly covid positive) strangers

Lol

Just because you're a weird antisocial shut-in doesn't mean other people's experiences are nonsense, you goober.

I'll collect my shill check from big Sticky Floors, now

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do it like every movie in CineD, esp since it's gonna be on HBO. Give it the five day weekend then post away

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Can't smoke weed in theaters checkmate villebabies

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

also my chair at home is comfier

Somehow I think cineplex will live on without my patronage

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edibles my dude

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There are absolutely movies that benefit from this

Dune was one, mad max fury road was another

Like I get that loads of stuff either doesn’t need or doesn’t justify it but it exists for a reason

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I'm bummed I didn't see Fury Road or Blade Runner 2 in theatres. If COVID wasn't still runnin wild I'd be seeing this in the picture house.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

"the big screen experience" is just a bunch of nonsense anyways

Yeah and why go to music concerts, I can watch the concert dvd at home!

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Seeing pacific rim in a theater with those rumble seats was pretty fun. Was the only movie where the rumble seats actually improved the experience

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stratdax posted:

Yeah and why go to music concerts, I can watch the concert dvd at home!

Watching fireworks on TV is just like being in times square on New Year's Eve! Also I just walk in place in my closet rather than hiking in the woods. There's bugs and sticks out there!

I kid, but yes some things are better at home in some ways, and other things aren't. loving wild

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a reason we got the "we have X at home" meme.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skasion posted:

Wat. It’s a way way bigger screen and sound system than I have in my house. Hell yeah I will pay to get blasted by enormous sensory experience

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just set up a VR movie theater experience at home

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I personally prefer to close my eyes and just imagine any movie that might be coming out in near future, I am never disappoint :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I'm bummed I didn't see Fury Road or Blade Runner 2 in theatres. If COVID wasn't still runnin wild I'd be seeing this in the picture house.

They were both sublime in theaters, but Fury Road especially simply because of how good it sounds when turned up loud, every single drum smash felt like it was going straight through your body. And with a full theater of people you know they had to turn it up even louder due to all the bodies dampening.