Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Not that anyone but me cares - but I talked to Microsoft's sales people and they report they have ordered additional runs of the 20th anniversary controllers and will be releasing them on 11/15.

The Forza one is still available at GameStop and I might grab that too. I worked 2 hours of OT last night so the wifey can't complain (much) about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hello how do I get an xbox series s besides financing it for double msrp

wolfs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 15, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

wolfs posted:

Walk into costco and take the little card thing up to the cash register and pay $289 (and presumably tax unless you're one of us cool kids who lives in Oregon).
If you're not a costco member, you can always have a friend who is take you, or buy you a gift card for costco. that works as a day pass for non members. I did that for a buddy so he could buy a tv.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Xbox just put out an update that fucks up your system, so watch out, just called in and as we were going through the steps it was flagged for all of support as more calls came in. No solution yet, but I'll be the first to know:smith:. I'm on insider build, don't know if that matters.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

bushisms.txt posted:

Xbox just put out an update that fucks up your system, so watch out, just called in and as we were going through the steps it was flagged for all of support as more calls came in. No solution yet, but I'll be the first to know:smith:. I'm on insider build, don't know if that matters.

Fucks up how exactly? And what insider ring are you on?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Honestly it still baffles me that people volunteer to be unpaid beta testers for a multi-billion dollar corporation's product. :psyduck:

To each their own I guess.

Edit: is risking your console's functionality really worth it?

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 16, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

relax

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm really looking forward to playing that Crysis Remastered Trilogy...on Black Friday if it goes on sale. No way am I paying $50 for that, especially because I already bought the first one remastered on Switch when it came out last year.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Fanatic posted:

Honestly it still baffles me that people volunteer to be unpaid beta testers for a multi-billion dollar corporation's product. :psyduck:

To each their own I guess.

Edit: is risking your console's functionality really worth it?

It won't be bricked. Generally speaking, if something goes wrong with an update that prevents the console from booting, you can restore the console using a USB drive. It's pretty hard to brick the console from software alone, much like your own PC (and for the same reasons).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rageaholic posted:

I'm really looking forward to playing that Crysis Remastered Trilogy...on Black Friday if it goes on sale. No way am I paying $50 for that, especially because I already bought the first one remastered on Switch when it came out last year.

Does that one have gyro aiming?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Does that one have gyro aiming?

On switch, yep

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

This was posted in the video game deals thread.

DC Murderverse posted:

If you ignore the actual context that this controller spawned from then this is a really good deal on a Something Awful-themed Series X controller

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1449134868474916864?s=21

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Well that's very unfortunate text placement. :effort:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

And why are the buttons not coloured, now I'll be forced to read them.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Too many games default to painfully low stick sensitivity/camera speed and it feels awful. It's especially bad in 30fps titles.

Still better than the ones that rely on camera acceleration, I guess.

I find the default sens too high actually in most game, I always have to turn it down to the minimum or like 2/10. I like a bit of aiming acceleration as it adds some immersive weight to movement in FPS and means you can have slow flick aiming and fast turning by holding the stick longer. My favourite FPS handling was in Killzone 2 though if that tells you anything.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

otter posted:

Not that anyone but me cares - but I talked to Microsoft's sales people and they report they have ordered additional runs of the 20th anniversary controllers and will be releasing them on 11/15.

The preorder in Japan sold out reeeeaaaal quick too, I hope that holds true here too.

wolfs posted:

Where are you located? It sounds like more are in stock than before, but YMMV.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oh nice, I didn't know Evil Genius 2 is coming to game pass next month.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psyman posted:

I find the default sens too high actually in most game, I always have to turn it down to the minimum or like 2/10.

What

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

otter posted:

This was posted in the video game deals thread.

It's a nice looking controller in person. I've taken mine out of its box once and then put it back because I have two other Xbox controllers I use regularly.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I've been enjoying The Good Life well enough, but so help me God if I have to hear "goddamn hellhole" one more time...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

irpoweroutlet posted:

Fucks up how exactly? And what insider ring are you on?

When you turn on the system, it errors and asks you to restart. Ms support says the only option is to remove your account and reset your xbox. But it still doesn't work. Can't even update offline.

I ended up playing gears 5 with my bff via XCloud on my phone, couldn't get the PC to recognize my controller for it specifically, and it was pretty smooth for the most part.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 16, 2021

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/minecraft/status/1449409084810276868?s=21

I didn't expect the Java version to come to Gamepass.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Beaten

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

otter posted:

Walk into costco and take the little card thing up to the cash register and pay $289 (and presumably tax unless you're one of us cool kids who lives in Oregon).
If you're not a costco member, you can always have a friend who is take you, or buy you a gift card for costco. that works as a day pass for non members. I did that for a buddy so he could buy a tv.

Or check Amazon/Walmart, they seem to have them more often than not these days.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As someone who long ago lost their login for the Java version I’m very happy that the weird unstable Minecraft is going on as well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish they put Minecraft ray tracing on Xbox. I haven’t played Minecraft in years but the ray tracing in that game looks awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fanatic posted:

Make sure it's seated correctly.

Mine randomly one day started failing to charge but taking it out, blowing on the connections and jamming it back in fixed it.
Alright, so I've tried this a couple times and the battery has held out for longer, but I've been getting random controller disconnects and the OS displays incorrect battery usage.

Are all these rechargeable battery packs about the same? Like if I pick up Best Buy's house brand one, will that be fine in my Series X controller?

e: Huh, there are multiple Amazon reviews for the battery I have (the official Microsoft rechargeable one + USB-C cable) saying that it stopped charging after a month or a couple months.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 16, 2021

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I would strongly recommend rechargeable AA batteries, like Eneloops. You can still plug the controller in to get power, it just won't charge the batteries.

I've never had great luck with the Xbox 360 or One charge-and-play packs. Very happy with my Eneloops.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought these and just swap them out every week and have never had a problem but also they apparently don't exist anymore so get owned idiots.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

I bought these and just swap them out every week and have never had a problem but also they apparently don't exist anymore so get owned idiots.

I have these too. They work very well.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Blue Raider posted:

I have these too. They work very well.

I also have these and they are great.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

American McGay posted:

I honestly don't see the point of buying this instead of good AA rechargeables such as Ikea's Ladda 2450mAh for less money anyway. I don't see that form factor making it any more convenient to use.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I only have to grab one battery instead of two. Hth OP.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

Bought the same ones for my kid and they've been perfect.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

boz posted:

Bought the same ones for my kid and they've been perfect.

What amperage is your child?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm looking at similar looking battery packs with charger and some reviews for them say they're safety hazards :ohdear: I don't want to buy something like that by accident.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Well now you know, so you're buying them on purpose.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I already got my Goon Squad controller a few minutes ago (what was that, Friday? when I ordered it??)
Looks good, Feels really good (cause it's an xbox controller). The box was a bit mushed, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zat posted:

I honestly don't see the point of buying this instead of good AA rechargeables such as Ikea's Ladda 2450mAh for less money anyway. I don't see that form factor making it any more convenient to use.

The form factor makes it more problematic in all honesty.

I bought a fist-full of "Energizer" brand rechargeable AA cells and a charger 12 months ago and haven't looked back.
I keep a few charged cells ready to go, so when the controller dies the flat cells go straight into the charger sitting two feet away, and the fresh ones are swapped in.

Takes moments, and I'm not stuck with some custom-shelled thing that doesn't work in any other devices and can only be charged with another custom thing.

Genuinely no loving idea why people go out and buy branded charge "kits" and then get surprised when they're poo poo-house, in build quality, function or both. Just don't do it, keep your battery life as simple as possible.