Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There was a tornado from the storms in NSW yesterday, it hit near Armidale, a town that's about halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, about 10pm last night and caused some damage there.

https://twitter.com/nswincidents/status/1448639545860186115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
a tornaroooooooo lmao

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm not Australian but "torny" is what I had imagined they would call them

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

probably Torno tbh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tornaderydoos

tornazzowozzos

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lookat that bloomin willy-willy m8

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tornaderydoos

tornazzowozzos

"Aih'da called 'em a Spinnywuzzahdoolie!"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wind doof

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Fuckin great dust devil mate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The other day, I looked up the Australian term for “corndog”, having a hunch it would be something ridiculous. I was not diappointed.

In Australia, a hot dog sausage on a stick, deep fried in batter, is known as a Dagwood Dog, Pluto Pup, or Dippy Dog, depending on region.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Having thought about it over a few glasses of wine I have decided that Aussies would call tornadoes ‘Twisties’

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

twisty ate my dippy dog

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spime Wrangler posted:

twisty ate my dippy dog

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

twisty ate my dippy dog

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

twisty ate my dippy dog

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Spime Wrangler posted:

twisty ate my dippy dog

Thread title.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Spime Wrangler posted:

twisty ate my dippy dog

ZeusCannon posted:

Thread title.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Helith posted:

There was a tornado from the storms in NSW yesterday, it hit near Armidale, a town that's about halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, about 10pm last night and caused some damage there.

https://twitter.com/nswincidents/status/1448639545860186115

Tornadoes happen to an extent in every season but I think the usual pattern during thunderstorms in Australia in September and October is frequent but small (F1 or F2) tornadoes. Like in September 2016 some small but strategically-placed tornadoes took out every single transmission line into Adelaide and caused a large (eventually state-wide) blackout.

quote:

One of the most significant severe thunderstorm outbreaks in recent decades impacted central and
eastern districts of South Australia during the afternoon and evening on 28 September 2016.
Multiple supercell thunderstorms produced damaging to destructive wind gusts, including at least
seven tornadoes, very large hailstones and locally intense rainfall. These supercell thunderstorms
and tornadoes impacted the South Australian power network, contributing to a state-wide power
outage.
https://www.dpc.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/15199/Attachment-3-BoM-Severe-Thunderstorm-and-Tornado-Outbreak-28-September-2016.pdf

So there might be more content like this during the next few weeks

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You guys have to report the post and ask for it to be the thread title

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

I think you mean twisteroos

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Windy wazzers you mean.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I can't get over tornaroo. it's like kangaroos are so integral to Aussie life that any new phenomena is partially Animorphed into one.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
windycunt

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Curlyswooper

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You guys have to report the post and ask for it to be the thread title

I did that yesterday. :colbert:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
do tornados spin opposite like a flushing toilet?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

do tornados spin opposite like a flushing toilet?

Probably. Even in the NH some (~10%) spin anticyclonicly, so probably 10% in the SH spin the correct way.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

fuckin "curlyswooper" is just fun to say

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Not the ARK storm yet but Earth is trying https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/20/weather/atmospheric-river-forecast-california-debris-flow/index.html

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What does this mean for my almonds?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Level 5 atmospheric river

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

smug jeebus posted:

What does this mean for my almonds?

Alfalfa is way worse water wise and no one cares. It's always almonds that are vilified.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Oh almonds are also bad

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just stay away from my pistachios

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just stay away from my pistachios

We curtail California pistachio production and you know where we'll have to get our pistachios? That's right. And I ain't eating no eye-ranian pistachios

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

goodbye all the most usefull growing soil in california lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
You guys act like there's never been heavy rain in California before.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

goodbye all the most usefull growing soil in california lol

what?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Erosion from all the rain they're about to get. Rain in recently burned areas can also cause lethal mudslides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The storms hit the burn areas and then so much poo poo washes down the hill it destroys roads or whatever is downhill. They keep closing the main freeway through the mountains here in Colorado because this has happened a couple times now.

https://twitter.com/lhooqlorenz/status/1421636100611846158