Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

BraveUlysses posted:

thinking of upgrading from my Shimano a530 pedals to either m540 or xtr8120, any huge benefit to the 8120 pedal platform over the m540 (which doesn't have it)?

It's a nice place to put your foot if you are riding trails and are in a situation where you aren't clipped in yet but still moving. If just for gravel or road riding, I wouldn't worry about the trail pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've signed up for the 240

Post the link

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Hi thread, I have a question. Do you guys think it's safe to ride my Giant Defy 0 2015 on my smart trainer with the seat post clamp having only one bolt in, the upper to be precise? I weigh 73 kg give or take - I believe the clamp takes two bolts because the Defy is tailored towards heavier riders (?). (I added the link as there's a picture of the seat post.)

I wouldn't do it, personally, but realistically your likely failure mode is pretty benign (snapping the clamp from uneven force maybe? seems unlikely. more likely you just can't get it tight enough and the post slips).

Edit: wait, non-round seatpost? Taller clamp with two bolts is probably because they want to make sure you're not clamping it unevenly. I would not try to ride it that way.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 14, 2021

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

After all the road tubeless talk, I was considering making the switch and decided today to make the switch in a big way. I’ve been thinking about getting carbon wheels for my Roubaix but was a little worried I might be too heavy for them as most of them have a total system weight limit of 240lbs. I weigh 215-235 typically and that was just too close for comfort. I was talking to the shop today while they were working on a wheel for me and they said that Roval had gravel wheels with a 275lb weight limit.

After a little research, I had them order me a set of Terra CL wheels. They’re not in stock, but they estimate “early November”, so I should get them just in time to park the bike for the winter.

https://rovalcomponents.com/collections/gravel/products/terra-cl

Since I run GP5Ks on my bikes, I have a brand new set of those on the shelf. I need the TL version for those wheels, correct? Of course the GP5k TLs are difficult to find in 28 width, luckily I have a few weeks to source some. What else is comparable that I could look for?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LordOfThePants posted:

After all the road tubeless talk, I was considering making the switch and decided today to make the switch in a big way. I’ve been thinking about getting carbon wheels for my Roubaix but was a little worried I might be too heavy for them as most of them have a total system weight limit of 240lbs. I weigh 215-235 typically and that was just too close for comfort. I was talking to the shop today while they were working on a wheel for me and they said that Roval had gravel wheels with a 275lb weight limit.

After a little research, I had them order me a set of Terra CL wheels. They’re not in stock, but they estimate “early November”, so I should get them just in time to park the bike for the winter.

https://rovalcomponents.com/collections/gravel/products/terra-cl

Since I run GP5Ks on my bikes, I have a brand new set of those on the shelf. I need the TL version for those wheels, correct? Of course the GP5k TLs are difficult to find in 28 width, luckily I have a few weeks to source some. What else is comparable that I could look for?

IMO gravel wheels are typically built weaker than road wheels since they are wider, shallower and rely on big volume to absorb hits. Stick to road wheels for road applications unless you plan on running 35mm+ tires. I also know plenty of people around 240lbs who ride 24h carbon wheels without much issue. Go 50mm+ for rim depth and you'll be fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What makes the wheel stronger on deeper rims? Improved bracing angle? Less spoke length and strain at a given tension?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://inschrijven.amstel.nl/en/register/?type=personal

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

kimbo305 posted:

What makes the wheel stronger on deeper rims? Improved bracing angle? Less spoke length and strain at a given tension?

Think of the resistance to bending from a flat ruler on both the long and shallow axis. The shallow axis bends, the deep axis is stiff. Extrapolate that to a rectangular extrusion, the deeper the profile, the more resistance to bending from radial forces. This is to say your rim is stiffer.

With spokes, given a profile, the shorter the spoke, the less likely it will buckle.

Edit, DT Swiss GR 1600 Spline 25 wheels are rated to 130kg if you don’t want to mess with custom wheels.

osker fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 15, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

osker posted:

Think of the resistance to bending from a flat ruler on both the long and shallow axis. The shallow axis bends, the deep axis is stiff. Extrapolate that to a rectangular extrusion, the deeper the profile, the more resistance to bending from radial forces. This is to say your rim is stiffer.

Sure, but that provides more leverage for side to side forces on the hub via the spokes, right? Is a stiffer wheel necessarily stronger?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

bicievino posted:

I wouldn't do it, personally, but realistically your likely failure mode is pretty benign (snapping the clamp from uneven force maybe? seems unlikely. more likely you just can't get it tight enough and the post slips).

Edit: wait, non-round seatpost? Taller clamp with two bolts is probably because they want to make sure you're not clamping it unevenly. I would not try to ride it that way.

Thank you! That sucks, but I'll play it safe then :)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
To be less technical

I'm moving house at the moment and the final part of the moving process has been me doing a bunch of trips on my bike + trailer for bulky stuff that won't fit in the car.

I've done about 7 of these runs late into the night and been entertaining the locals with my garden in transit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jestery posted:

To be less technical

I'm moving house at the moment and the final part of the moving process has been me doing a bunch of trips on my bike + trailer for bulky stuff that won't fit in the car.

I've done about 7 of these runs late into the night and been entertaining the locals with my garden in transit

owns

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

VideoGameVet posted:

Bike Friday Tikit?

Fun place to ride:

I've always wanted to bike down to DC, but I've heard that The Road to the South is impassible. Absolutely impossible to pass. Impassible.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

To be less technical

:krad:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jestery posted:

To be less technical

[ERROR] someone has stolen your trees

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

there is something called an "atmospheric river" going on outside

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

thinking of upgrading from my Shimano a530 pedals to either m540 or xtr8120, any huge benefit to the 8120 pedal platform over the m540 (which doesn't have it)?

I have those xtr pedals and I like the extra platform because if I flub clipping in I can easily pedal unclipped for a few strokes. Also it's enough of a platform I can ride in normal shoes if I'm just running to the store or a friend's place down the street.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Polo-Rican posted:

I've always wanted to bike down to DC, but I've heard that The Road to the South is impassible. Absolutely impossible to pass. Impassible.

OMG, thank you for that reference.

Want some rye?

Anyway, at the time I was commuting from San Diego to Baltimore (yeah, not daily ...) so I'd take the Brompton on the flights and spend a week and a half in Ownings Mill. Did rides in DC and the path to Annapolis.

The best was this rail trail that starts in MD and goes up to PA. Nice stuff.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how much fitness do you have that you were able to do this ride inside the time limit, and was there specific training that you found helpful for it? The route and your write-up in the other thread make it sound really fun, and I'd like to build up to doing it, but right now it seems way beyond what I'm capable of.

All I can think of at the moment is lots of endurance miles, and maybe doing the (easier seeming) Ohio to Erie trail as a tune-up / shakeout ride. I did a 107 km ride with 1640 m in elevation in August and I was completely exhausted afterward. The jump to doing that 5 times in a row for the DWR is daunting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bunny Fiesta posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how much fitness do you have that you were able to do this ride inside the time limit, and was there specific training that you found helpful for it? The route and your write-up in the other thread make it sound really fun, and I'd like to build up to doing it, but right now it seems way beyond what I'm capable of.

All I can think of at the moment is lots of endurance miles, and maybe doing the (easier seeming) Ohio to Erie trail as a tune-up / shakeout ride. I did a 107 km ride with 1640 m in elevation in August and I was completely exhausted afterward. The jump to doing that 5 times in a row for the DWR is daunting.

Physically, I’d say I’m pretty fit. I’m at 15,000 miles for the year and competitive in races. However, there were plenty of people who had a lot less miles under their belt who finished the race inside 38 hours. There was actually only one person who finished outside the 38 hour time cut for the belt buckle, but he still made the official “finisher” time of 64 hours. Plenty of DNFs though for a variety of reasons - mechanicals, injuries, and not being prepared, especially for the unexpected heat in September.

My personal opinion is if you could do an imperial century without being wrecked I think an ultra is a possibility. To me that would signify a base level of acceptable fitness, and then it boils down to mental toughness and keeping on top of hydration and nutrition. The mental aspect is tough because there’s plenty of times I wanted to quit - when it was around 90 and I was out of water, when I couldn’t see a thing in the dark, etc. Getting into the suck and coming out the other side stronger is definitely a learned trait.

The nutrition and hydration part is crucial and something that requires some practice to refine for really long events. You can half rear end your way through a few hours on the bike, you can even do a pretty poo poo job of keeping up on it and still bang out a century. Do 3 of them though and you’ll absolutely get wrecked if you’re not doing it right. I refined my strategy over centuries and a handful of double centuries I did this year. I still had a real bad time for part of the ride because I went with too many sweet things until I got some salty food in me. If you were feeling wiped after a metric you’re probably not fueling right, pushing too hard (especially if it was hot in August), or some combination of the two.

The Ohio to Erie trail is definitely good practice for long stretches. I will say that Dirty Water has some pretty brutal gravel roads sprinkled throughout, so you’d want to also ensure you’re able to manage class 3 and 4 gravel.

Where are you at? I led some training rides for Dirty Water this year and I’ll probably do some next year. 120 miles/7k type stuff, at night and on gravel, to get an idea of what you’re in for.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If you were feeling wiped after a metric you’re probably not fueling right, pushing too hard (especially if it was hot in August), or some combination of the two.

I think this is definitely right. My average power for the first four hours was about 10% higher than my sustainable zone 2 power and then it cratered and I spent the last hour slogging along, doing what felt like the hardest zone 1 of my life. I thought I had an acceptable nutrition plan going into it, but reading your comment made me realize it was all sweet stuff. I guess it's time to add salty foods to my bike snacks.

Where are you at? I led some training rides for Dirty Water this year and I’ll probably do some next year. 120 miles/7k type stuff, at night and on gravel, to get an idea of what you’re in for.

Unfortunately / fortunately I'm in California. I should be able to find some good gravel routes to develop more technical skills on. I have no idea what next year will be like for travel, I may end up being able to get out to Ohio to see friends, or that might end up feeling reckless. Either way, between building up to an imperial century, better nutrition, and getting comfortable with gravel there's plenty for me to work on for the future. Thanks for the advice!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Bunny Fiesta posted:

I think this is definitely right. My average power for the first four hours was about 10% higher than my sustainable zone 2 power and then it cratered and I spent the last hour slogging along, doing what felt like the hardest zone 1 of my life. I thought I had an acceptable nutrition plan going into it, but reading your comment made me realize it was all sweet stuff. I guess it's time to add salty foods to my bike snacks.

Unfortunately / fortunately I'm in California. I should be able to find some good gravel routes to develop more technical skills on. I have no idea what next year will be like for travel, I may end up being able to get out to Ohio to see friends, or that might end up feeling reckless. Either way, between building up to an imperial century, better nutrition, and getting comfortable with gravel there's plenty for me to work on for the future. Thanks for the advice!

If you're in the Bay Area, riding with the SF Randonneurs is good practice for anything long. All sorts of riders with different skill levels ride with the randonneurs and they do everything from 200k-1200k. There are other randonneur groups in the area as well (SCR (Santa Cruz Randonneurs), DBC, SRC (santa rosa randonneurs), as well as a bunch in the Central Coast and Southern California) They also run an adventure series every year.

https://ridebike.org/sfr/adventure/

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

I just signed up for the 150km Amstel Gold Race for next year. You know what to do which is put my rear end to shame by doing the 200km or 250km!

Unfortunately signing up does not necessarily mean you get to take part, so fingers crossed

Registered also, I think 2x my most recent long ride is enough

Better start cycling some more

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm buying a used bike tomorrow but I haven't been able to find much info about it online. It's 2006 Marin Highway One and the parts all check out with this page:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=93466

Apart from that one page I can't find any sources on it, no reviews or anything like that. Does anyone here know more about it?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm buying a used bike tomorrow but I haven't been able to find much info about it online. It's 2006 Marin Highway One and the parts all check out with this page:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=93466

Apart from that one page I can't find any sources on it, no reviews or anything like that. Does anyone here know more about it?
It looks like an above average spec but otherwise unremarkable hybrid. As long as it is in good shape I don't think there is anything special to worry about.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I refined my strategy over centuries

this mf has been riding bikes since the revolutionary war :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I recently moved house and as a thankyou present to my mate I scored this from a local bike coop, cost me next to nothing but an hour of my time. Clearly a pet project that someone forgot about

He has seen my recent bike adventures and wanted one for himself

And now I have riding buddy

It needs some more work but it's ridable enough to get to the bike coop together and do up our lovely road bikes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Last rode my road bike on Wednesday and got up to do a ride this morning, only to find that my front tire was almost completely deflated. That's probably a flat, though I don't see anything obviously piercing it so I'm wondering if the tire/tube is just worn out. Roughly how much time or mileage is acceptable on a set of tires + treads before it's a good idea to replace them?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

C-Euro posted:

Last rode my road bike on Wednesday and got up to do a ride this morning, only to find that my front tire was almost completely deflated. That's probably a flat, though I don't see anything obviously piercing it so I'm wondering if the tire/tube is just worn out. Roughly how much time or mileage is acceptable on a set of tires + treads before it's a good idea to replace them?

I’d take the tube out then scrape the inside of the tire with a cotton ball to see if it snags on anything in the tire. I’d then take note of the orientation of the tube when you pull it out, over inflate it to see if you can fins a hole. If so, patch it or replace the tube then double check the part of the tire it was next to. Install tube and then ride on.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

C-Euro posted:

Tubes don’t really wear out or or degrade inside a tire because they aren’t exposed to UV (among other things.) Like, you could literally use 10 year old tube, no problem.

Tire wear rates vary depending on the type of tire. An armored commuter or touring tire might have a tread cap that is 6mm thick made of a hard wearing rubber compound. A race tire might have a tread cap that is 2.5mm thick made out of a soft rubber. Wear rates are also influenced by contact patch…If you ride a 28mm road tire at 60psi, it will wear more evenly on a wider section of the tread. If you pump that 28mm tire to 90psi, then only the center of the tread will come in contact with the road and it will “square off” faster. If you simply ride a larger tire like a 32mm@45psi vs a 25mm@80psi with roughly the same amount of tire sag, the wider tire’s tread will last longer.

And of course practice good braking habits. Your rear tire should never skid in the final few inches before stopping.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TobinHatesYou posted:

Your rear tire should never skid in the final few inches before stopping.

Yeah, you should get at least 5-6 feet out of a skid or you just look like a scrub.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TobinHatesYou posted:

And of course practice good braking habits. Your rear tire should never skid in the final few inches before stopping.

Don't destroy the hopes and dreams of 10 year olds everywhere!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

If there isn't a hint of fishtailing when you stop then your business is too serious

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Practicing braking is a real thing, but you tend to forget what being bad at braking is like after riding for a few years. I was very happy to have practiced a few times when I had to do an emergency endo to avoid getting hit. One time I swear I pulled the tail end of the bike up sideways next to me like a flatland trick to not get hit by a car.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

quote:

And of course practice good braking habits. Your rear tire should never skid in the final few inches before stopping unless that's what you a trying to do.

FIXED OK?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I had to repair a broken brake lever yesterday with a slightly shorter one and the lack of leverage is really noticeable

Workable, but Ill be fanging for a better lever soon enough

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jestery posted:

lack of leverage is really noticeable
Sounds like you put a v-brake lever on caliper or cantilever brakes.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

CopperHound posted:

Sounds like you put a v-brake lever on caliper or cantilever brakes.

It is quite possible, the bike kitchen is full of spare parts, and my expertise is not thorough, thank you for the input, I will make appropriate changes next time I am in

though the function is significantly improved over having a broken pivot point and pushing the brake lever forward to get tension on the brakes

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've signed up to the etape and i'm not sure i'd even get over galibier in the state i'm in at the moment. Excited to use it as an excuse to spend loads of money on bike stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So if you have a flat tube due to a puncture, does that necessitate also replacing the tire? Or can you still bike on the same tire if you remove the offending debris?