Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

You'd basically never hit anything with a sub then. More so if firing from underwater.

Unless you catch a ship already under pressure that blew its damage con for fire/flooding from other players. Or if a damage con is used to clear this, then the opposing ship will be vulnerable to fire/flooding from other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

There's no reason they couldn't just be regular torps. You have 2.2km conceal at periscope depth and they go 90 knots.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

There's no reason they couldn't just be regular torps. You have 2.2km conceal at periscope depth and they go 90 knots.

That's a tall ask with how bad the player base can be.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stanley Pain posted:

That's a tall ask with how bad the player base can be.

There's a white line on the screen that tells you where to aim your torpedoes to hit the enemy ship, it isn't rocket science.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

There's a white line on the screen that tells you where to aim your torpedoes to hit the enemy ship, it isn't rocket science.

Pencil in eye, instructions unclear. Please help.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Pencil in eye, instructions unclear. Please help.

This would be valid if we didn't already have regular torpedoes on ships that get used all the time just fine without homing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

This would be valid if we didn't already have regular torpedoes on ships that get used all the time just fine without homing.

I'm just making fun of some of the bad players.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZInqI6Bk6M

The future.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress subs.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzCXhJ8oYo

Flamu's experience. In flamu's experience though, I'm half against everything he is having issue just because those subs were doing exactly as we expected them to do. Ships that can go off alone and gently caress around from the flank. In a way, the lack of support from his DDs to deal with them is part of the trouble for him. But also, knowing there are two subs, digging right in for a brawl like that was just dumb without full intelligence on it. More so on sticking to it after fully aware both of them were on his side.

That said, I do agree that subs have one hosed up flaw in their design. Wargaming removed invisi firing specifically because people were mad at things like zao and many DDs were he spamming them to death. Now we get torps that not only can gently caress you invisibly, but also for some reason can citadel you while at it. I wonder how the gameplay would be with just the single ping mechanic instead of doubles. That would give them firepower lower than a DD technically, but that is offset by the fact they have ridiculous levels of stealth compared to a torp dd.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

JuffoWup posted:

In a way, the lack of support from his DDs to deal with them is part of the trouble for him.

DDs aren't very good against subs. They have zero range and aren't even compensated with very high damage, they didn't get anything new to help them get close to the sub, and they have the smallest hp pools for surviving torpedo damage.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The homing torps also home in best on DDs because :psyduck:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

The homing torps also home in best on DDs because :psyduck:

huh, that changed then. Thought they had the worst tracking on DDs. Then again, from the videos, it never seems like the torps drop homing at a certain range from the target like I remember hearing they were supposed to do.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

JuffoWup posted:

huh, that changed then. Thought they had the worst tracking on DDs. Then again, from the videos, it never seems like the torps drop homing at a certain range from the target like I remember hearing they were supposed to do.

They stop tracking on BBs from a long way away, like 2km. They keep homing in on cruisers and DDs MUCH closer.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Yeah, it's insane how close in torp keep tracking DD's. Played a lot over the weekend as a DD against them, it's... rough. If the subs are smart and hang juuuust outside of caps you really don't have any tools for getting close. If you do get in on a sub you've got no way of forcing vision on them to get the kill.

After 10-12 minutes you can kind of have an impact if the sub has played poorly and doesn't have much battery left, but still, closing in is tough. They're going to get a salvo of torps or two off on you and they'll still dive.

Your reward for somehow getting into a position on top of a sub and miraculously not being deleted by the other surface ships as you get there? You get to fart out some anaemic depth charges while you try to match the turning and movement of an invisible thing that may or may not be below you any more.

I think there needs to be some sort of buff to the DD interaction with subs. If you sacrifice everything to go and hunt them you've got to be given assured spotting of them. That sacrifice may have been pointless too because 90% of subs are played by mouthbreathers who are going to have zero impact on the game so it was better off just completely ignoring them. Bad players in surface ships at least spot, bad subs are ghosts.

Or just remove subs. The biggest and worst impact by far is the matchmaking is giving a lot of 1 or 2 BB only games since it's cramming 2 subs and 1 cv into most mixes. The whole game just doesn't play right with an imbalance of BB's to caps, you get these lemmingtrain whirlpools which are no fun at all.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So I got a weird notification talking about how I'd been compensated for a camouflaged I have on my Moskva (which I got for free having already grinded it) and mysteriously have been given a permanent camouflage for the Nevski as of this patch. Anyone else get this or know why?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

So I got a weird notification talking about how I'd been compensated for a camouflaged I have on my Moskva (which I got for free having already grinded it) and mysteriously have been given a permanent camouflage for the Nevski as of this patch. Anyone else get this or know why?

WG never gave people a perma camo for Nevsky who had bought it for Moskva and decided to credit everyone who had it a free Nevsky one as well, as an act of good will. Being WG, they screwed this up though, and just awarded it to everyone.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Amazing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Nice visual upgrade. Shame about the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWxIsm5Yho

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Yeah, been playing a bit of PTS because there are very few subs there, plus need community tokens for KOTS crates. Game almost looks like a 'WoWs 2', the water and lighting and just general higher detail is super nice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEqQJS_t8w

I did a ranked sprint in a Cleveland and it was an insta-win against DDs, but insta-delete vs BBs. Still my second favorite ship in the game!

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Tip for Brawl if anybody is still trying to complete it solo on the last day: Try DDs. I rotated Lightning & Cossack and was able to get my coal reasonably fast, and the general credits and xp rewards were very good for how the fast the matches are.

Hydro is kinda meta for Brawl IME and the low RN DD speed mostly doesn't factor in. DDs get a match usually instantly, while my Tirpitz I gave up on early, the queue times were horrible with everybody trying to cram their BB in.

Good luck if you're up against a divved up CV.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Subs Rebalanced/Nerfed:
https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/237

Petro Nerfed,Zao Buffed:
https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/238

Very good changes. Think they could have gone a bit further with Petro nerfs. I would love to see it removed from the game, incredibly unfun to play against.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Petro nerf is to the wrong thing, it needs to sit higher in the water.

Also :laffo: that I don't think the Zao got back all the hp it lost.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Giving the Petropavlovsk longer reload isn't insufficient as much as it completely misses the point. It's already more or less balanced in randoms (but annoying to shoot at), and half a second of reload is irrelevant in clan battles where people are already giving up more than 5% damage by taking a petro instead of another cruiser. If someone who had actually played the game balanced the ship, they could fix the stupid armor layout and compensate by giving it better damage than tier 7 cruisers against people who angle.

But the plan is the same as with apparently every other ship, if it underperforms you make the guns better until people can damage farm and if it overperforms you make the guns worse until it sucks to play in randoms without touching anything else.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Wasnt it proven a few months back that the devs dont actually play the game?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burns posted:

Wasnt it proven a few months back that the devs dont actually play the game?

You know who plays the game? The art department :xd:

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I don't know if WG is big enough to have a lot of design people separate from the code touchers, but I would absolutely never play a game I was a developer on for fun. Any project this size is just a collection of bugs and hacks once you've seen it up close.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Petro nerf is to the wrong thing, it needs to sit higher in the water.

Also :laffo: that I don't think the Zao got back all the hp it lost.

It didn't, the original amount lost was ~4000 so this is roughly half of that. I seriously suspect this is literally just deliberate mockery by the dev team.

go for a stroll posted:

I don't know if WG is big enough to have a lot of design people separate from the code touchers, but I would absolutely never play a game I was a developer on for fun. Any project this size is just a collection of bugs and hacks once you've seen it up close.

The problem is that for a competitive multiplayer game, if your dev team isn't testing/playing it themselves they need to be talking to people who ARE playing it seriously and can identify the problematic aspects. And WG absolutely isn't doing that either.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

go for a stroll posted:

I used to be a developer on EQ2 a long, long, time ago; however, I played the game for fun before I even started working for what was then SOE; and a I kept playing while I worked on the game—at least for a year or so.

I do get it though, and even if the devs don’t spend their free time in the game, I can assure you that the QA team “plays” the drat game all day long.

Whether or not not the actual dev team listens to the QA’s balance feedback is a totally different thing altogether.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I seriously suspect this is literally just deliberate mockery by the dev team.

The image of WG is so bad that people actually believe this - not having a pop, you certainly aren't alone in thinking like this.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

I do get it though, and even if the devs don’t spend their free time in the game, I can assure you that the QA team “plays” the drat game all day long.

Whether or not not the actual dev team listens to the QA’s balance feedback is a totally different thing altogether.

I'm not sure what my point was. Obviously someone there plays the game and whether those people are programmers isn't really the point of "devs don't play the game".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

The image of WG is so bad that people actually believe this - not having a pop, you certainly aren't alone in thinking like this.

The thing is, a few months ago I actually would have been willing to just attribute it to their seeming complete lack of ability to competently balance ships. But between then and now we've had not one but two Q&As where Zao's come up with them going "it's fine" due to completely irrelevant statistics or other reasons - stats you shouldn't even have to play a MP game to understand are utterly worthless - along with that recent incident on the RU side where the CC Tury left and they immediately released a bonus code that included "FKUTURY" in it among other things. And that's on the public side, not even getting into the various poo poo being done internally like what contributed to the mass exodus of CCs on the NA server.

Like, they're not even pretending to be professional anymore on any level.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This past friday i think was my personal breaking point wherein i need an extended break from the game. Something like a 37% win rate with teams seeming to barely put up a fight.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

go for a stroll posted:

I'm not sure what my point was. Obviously someone there plays the game and whether those people are programmers isn't really the point of "devs don't play the game".

Well it’s a fair point because there is a strong separation between the development team—in my experience in the video game industry—and the QA team.

Most of the dev team on any MMO does not actually ‘play’ the game for fun. They come up with concepts, design levels, enter dialogue into hale handlers, etc; then they implement the stuff and push it to QA.

QA are the people who spend up to 12 hours a day ‘playing’ the game, as well as doing more formalized testing, to make sure everything the development team has done works correctly. This includes balance feedback.

A very real problem occurs (and it has happened to some extent on every game I ever worked on), when the development team takes the attitude “the poo poo I designed works just fine, I am not going to listen to those scrubs in QA, or the community, when they tell me something ‘breaks’ balance if it means I have to change the thing I made.”

Given that I don’t know what my original point was, other than there are some exceptions to developers not regularly playing their own games.

The developers that do play their games are definitely in the minority though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, this clip is golden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyEC_KTM3U

Flamu being trolled by Jingles.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Any chance GoonSquid is getting their steelport upgraded?
The oil is there for weeks, just needs someone to click the button.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Any chance GoonSquid is getting their steelport upgraded?
The oil is there for weeks, just needs someone to click the button.

Must be nice. You should try upgrading your port in a clan of one.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else stop or something?
I dont care to be honest, just that steelport sitting there unupgraded bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Boatc is apparently inactive enough there’ve been three weeks of no naval battles - I don’t know the threshold for that but it can’t be huge. No one enjoys subs and they’ve been everywhere lately.

I’m still playing a ton but I’m not in the goon clan. So probably I’m just weird and masochistic.