Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why do small religious villages not ever immediately get extremely suspicious when a new priest comes along and all sorts of unnatural miracles start happening? Like yes, maybe it is the second coming, but at least splash the guy with some holy water, check his resume, at least do something to verify it's not the antichrist before worshipping him. It's not like there aren't any warnings in the bible about this kind of thing. Read the drat manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why do small religious villages not ever immediately get extremely suspicious when a new priest comes along and all sorts of unnatural miracles start happening? Like yes, maybe it is the second coming, but at least splash the guy with some holy water, check his resume, at least do something to verify it's not the antichrist before worshipping him. It's not like there aren't any warnings in the bible about this kind of thing. Read the drat manual.

Bud, I've seen what's happening in our world and it's convinced me that if the devil himself showed up, horns and red skin and everything, and just said what people wanted to hear, then said 'oh yeah and praise jesus', the catholic nuts would be following him so closely they could smell his farts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'd probably go along with it but I'd at least want to know what the catch was. I didn't specify what Tv show/movie I'm talking about and I don't want to spoil it, but like if all I need to do is drink some vampire blood to cure all my ailments and live unnaturally long, sign me up, as long as there is no fine print about eternal damnation or anything.

that said, you should still probably try to kill the vampire priest just to be safe before you accept the deal, because you can't trust a vampire. Hedge your bets.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Oct 15, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Morpheus posted:

Bud, I've seen what's happening in our world and it's convinced me that if the devil himself showed up, horns and red skin and everything, and just said what people wanted to hear, then said 'oh yeah and praise jesus', the catholic nuts would be following him so closely they could smell his farts.

It turns out Childhood's End was a mite optimistic, eh?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Usually the small religious village is too busy preparing the bees and the wicker man for the new priest

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess there is a counterpoint to this show ala wickerman or population whatever the movie is with limp bizkit in it is called or 2001 maniacs. If you are an official doing your job and the remote village is acting weird, just leave at the first sign things might be haunted. Decline the invitation to the jubilee. Even if you have to be rude, just leave, refuse to be haunted by some ghosts.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

My IIMM with Midnight Mass is the fanatical church lady who's so obviously cartoonishly evil that the rest of the characters should have probably tied her to a raft and floated her out to see before the show even begins.

I find the supernatural portion of the show easier to believe that this lady not having been catapulted into the ocean by an angry mob.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My IIMM with Midnight Mass is the fanatical church lady who's so obviously cartoonishly evil that the rest of the characters should have probably tied her to a raft and floated her out to see before the show even begins.

I find the supernatural portion of the show easier to believe that this lady not having been catapulted into the ocean by an angry mob.

There was a point where I swore the cross she was wearing was upside down but was too lazy to rewind to check if it really was. She was pretty clearly evil from the start.

e: i'm on the second to last episode...if the baby storyline was that the vampire blood killed hte baby and it wasn't the antichrist i'm going to be really annoyed, i called it from the first episode that the demon baby was causing all this weird poo poo and the priest was its caretaker. It is highly unusual in a horror movie/show with a pregnancy that is going weird for the baby not to be the key plot point. I liked the vampire twist but this baby better be the antichrist too

e2:

I do appreciate the characters who, when the evil vampire lady said "shoot me and i'll be back in 5 minutes" immediately shot her and recognized they had a 5 minute head start. You rarely see that in horror movies/shows. Don't let the vampire finish their monologue, once the rules are clear just shoot them

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Oct 15, 2021

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I don't get why after everybody gets turned to vampires they just don't attack each other outside of that one fight in the church. I don't care how milquetoast Flanders the community was, surely somebody would have slapped Bev down for burning all their stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I kind of love how the vampire imp thing reacts to being shot. It's just like "can u not, i'm working here".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I do appreciate the characters who, when the evil vampire lady said "shoot me and i'll be back in 5 minutes" immediately shot her and recognized they had a 5 minute head start. You rarely see that in horror movies/shows. Don't let the vampire finish their monologue, once the rules are clear just shoot them

More Midnight Mass spoilers:

It should have been 5 minutes from death. She was shot in the stomach, she should have died very slowly from that. Mostly because gently caress her. They should have had well more than 5 minutes.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

More Midnight Mass:

If you can recover from death in like five minutes with really small doses of vampire blood, the the vampire angel thing should have regenerated its wings much faster.

Also, how did Riley not manage to burn the boat even a little when he flamed out? The vampire blood reacted really strongly in the test tube.

AND ALSO! It was stated that the blood transforms you back to your 'best' age or whatever, but only the priest actually changed age at all.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I mean several other major characters CLEARLY appeared much younger over the course of the show, to the extent that the makeup they started with was distracting as gently caress.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oh, I'm just dumb then, nvm.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
The entirety of Midnight Mass: 100% rational irritation

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
There's a scene in the penultimate episode of Only Murders in the Building where the main characters are evicted from their homes because 8 tenants (out of at least 40, possibly 200) voted that they were annoyed with them. I'm canadian, so I'm not familiar with tenant rights in the U.S., but that seems really far-fetched.

To be fair, there were more than 8 actually voted to evict them, but the board lady said they only needed 8.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

There's a scene in the penultimate episode of Only Murders in the Building where the main characters are evicted from their homes because 8 tenants (out of at least 40, possibly 200) voted that they were annoyed with them. I'm canadian, so I'm not familiar with tenant rights in the U.S., but that seems really far-fetched.

To be fair, there were more than 8 actually voted to evict them, but the board lady said they only needed 8.

A general rule when watching American media portray some outrageous poo poo that destroys people's lives for no real reason is to assume that it's realistic.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CordlessPen posted:

Probably a co-op. They basically have to vote you in so getting voted out might be a thing but I'm not bothering to look it up because gently caress rich people

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

If the last five years have taught me anything, that part's absolutely realistic.

Kind of like how if I ever watch another zombie movie I'm going to call bullshit on it if it doesn't have hordes of uninfected people walking straight into the zombies while screaming "I refuse to live in fear"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just a bunch of chuds slathering themselves in barbecue sauce screaming "My body, my choice!" as the zombies approach.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Mortal Kombat 2021

What(camera cut) the(shakey cam)gently caress(cut to a completely different scene)is(witty one liner)going(completely unearned fatality)on(horribly greenscreened shot of boring main actor dribbling)in this loving(kabals voice)horribly edited poo poo rear end movie?

Also gently caress you movie you don’t get to use the theme song like you loving earned it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I saw the Kano-only cut and it was brilliant.

Everyone told me not to bother with the rest of the movie and everything I've heard about it since only proves they were right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVaZf3KsXU&t=9s

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Mortal Kombat was basically ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL made into a movie. Steve Harvey's tiny wee mechanical arms were god damned hilarious though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is got an okay goro and also goro bites it so hopefully if there's a sequel they'll give us his unremarkable replacements like kintaro and motaro etc

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Everyone told me not to bother with the rest of the movie and everything I've heard about it since only proves they were right.

"by the way, yer beer's poo poo, and you're almost out of it" is pure gold

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I thought of one driving home today.
In dogma, jay is driving Linda Fiorentino’s car and blows up the transmission because he doesn’t shift out of first because he didn’t know it was a manual. I think his quote was “what the gently caress is first gear!?”

But there’s no way he could have gotten the car going without knowing how a clutch works, everyone knows the hardest part of getting a manual transmission car moving is from a dead stop.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Josh Lawson is a national treasure and we didn't even have to nick him from New Zealand.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The new Mortal Kombat was so frustrating. They had so much raw talent in terms of martial arts in there, some very accomplished actors, and enough of a budget to do some fun things in terms of special effects. But it just completely fell apart due to the shitass script and bad editing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

The new Mortal Kombat was so frustrating. They had so much raw talent in terms of martial arts in there, some very accomplished actors, and enough of a budget to do some fun things in terms of special effects. But it just completely fell apart due to the shitass script and bad editing.

This is so many blockbuster movies nowadays, especially adaptations. Editing seems almost a lost art, so many movies bleed out on the cutting room floor.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

But Christopher Lloyd was in Star Trek!
So was Frasier (and in one of the best episodes to boot!)

Phy posted:

Kind of like how if I ever watch another zombie movie I'm going to call bullshit on it if it doesn't have hordes of uninfected people walking straight into the zombies while screaming "I refuse to live in fear"
Yeah I did not have "all prior zombie movies are now completely unbelievable due to politics" in my 2020 predictions, but here we are.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The three classic Romero zombie films still work just fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I watched Halloween Kills last night and I swear it felt like there were 2 movies mashed into one as the plot lines didn't really converge until the very end.

Also Judy Greer died which is a shame as I liked her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The most bizarre part of the script was the decision to make a Mortal Kombat movie about the big tournament to decide the fate of Earth Realm and then never actually get to the tournament.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mortal Kombat was okay, but it felt like it wasted a lot of potential. A bunch of the fatalities were just "oops you're dead!"

Kano owned though. Nearly everything he did was hilarious

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've only watched clips from the movie, and I get that they'd want to include well-known lines from the game. However, when Kung Lao kills Nitara, I feel someone other than Kung Lao should've said "Flawless Victory".

It'd still be cheesy, but less weirdly own-horn-tootingly so.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Curse of Aurore:

It's a staple of found footage horror trying to hide the low budget effects, but can the camerman at least sometimes not point the camera directly at the floor the instant they see anything spooky? In this one I couldn't even see what they were scared of half the time.

also they definitely deserved what they got, going around stealing poo poo from everyone in town, including some haunted rosary or whatever and using it to do a seance in the spooky basement after finding out the ghost girl is stalking them.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Oct 16, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

I've only watched clips from the movie, and I get that they'd want to include well-known lines from the game. However, when Kung Lao kills Nitara, I feel someone other than Kung Lao should've said "Flawless Victory".

It'd still be cheesy, but less weirdly own-horn-tootingly so.

Also, when shang tsung is killing your bro, and you are LITERALLY the only person who has a long range attack, maybe try throwing a fireball instead of standing there screaming NNNNNOOOOOOO while he dies for a few minutes?

Please note, at that point there is literally nothing stopping him from just walking over and kicking shang tsung in the head, other than drama points.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

I guess there is a counterpoint to this show ala wickerman or population whatever the movie is with limp bizkit in it is called or 2001 maniacs. If you are an official doing your job and the remote village is acting weird, just leave at the first sign things might be haunted. Decline the invitation to the jubilee. Even if you have to be rude, just leave, refuse to be haunted by some ghosts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, when shang tsung is killing your bro, and you are LITERALLY the only person who has a long range attack, maybe try throwing a fireball instead of standing there screaming NNNNNOOOOOOO while he dies for a few minutes?

Please note, at that point there is literally nothing stopping him from just walking over and kicking shang tsung in the head, other than drama points.

The sad thing is I don't even remember Shang Tsung in the new one, which is a travesty considering how loving awesome Cary Tagawa was in the first one. At least the second mortal kombat was legendarily awful, I think being forgettable is way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AFewBricksShy posted:

The sad thing is I don't even remember Shang Tsung in the new one, which is a travesty considering how loving awesome Cary Tagawa was in the first one. At least the second mortal kombat was legendarily awful, I think being forgettable is way worse.

He literally doesn’t do a single thing in the movie,not one punch thrown,no sorcery,no shapeshifting (did he do that in 95?) it’s a toss up between shang and the bad guy from ghost rider as most ineffectual lame-o.