Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1449302257581821952?s=21

I too forgot that this had happened. I wonder where we’d be now if that plot had succeeded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nenonen posted:

It should be obvious that you should never wish murder or rape on anyone, or cheer at it. That's completely and utterly tasteless. If Farage died in a plane crash or a COVID denialist died of COVID then that's on them, but murder is a very serious, traumatizing crime.

As opposed to dying in a plane crash or drowning in your own lung fluid, both famously non-traumatising. Actually pretty good fun if you think about it. Also is Farage secretly against training pilots or proper aircraft safety or something?

Really, where do all these people come from to wring their hands whenever some nasty oval office croaks it? Do you all have an alarm that goes off to tell you you simply must post about how tasteless it is? Bore off, it’s cool when the capitalists and their dogs occasionally suffer for their terrible crimes.

E: ^^^ bloody hell the former chancellor really went off the deep end after Brexit didn’t he

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If he wasn't sure that it was a legitimate constituent he should have walked away.

MPs should talk to each other on the phone to make sure they're safe.

He should consider whether it's really safe to go out in public in a blue rosette.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1449302257581821952?s=21

I too forgot that this had happened. I wonder where we’d be now if that plot had succeeded

A leftwing that paradoxically was more committed to achieving power through violence yet united around the martyring of a mild mannered social democrat dedicated to the Labour Party. I think the net result would be pretty much where we are now but with a higher body count and a more organised leftwing underground.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If he didn't want to be stabbed, he shouldn't have dressed so conservatively.

Just for the record, this is a parody of the way Tories victim blame, and no, I don't think he deserved to be stabbed

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 16, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
"Patel pays tribute to MP as 'man of the people'"

He hated the poors, the gays, and the women who need an abortion, but ~he really cared about animals though~

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jakabite posted:

As opposed to dying in a plane crash or drowning in your own lung fluid, both famously non-traumatising. Actually pretty good fun if you think about it. Also is Farage secretly against training pilots or proper aircraft safety or something?

I assume they were referring to the time that Farage actually did almost die in a plane crash

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Yesterday morning the Tories were on the telly saying the navy should be murdering refugees, as a deterrent. Now they're saying murder isn't a deterrent? This is why people don't trust politicians

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spangly A posted:

Yesterday morning the Tories were on the telly saying the navy should be murdering refugees, as a deterrent. Now they're saying murder isn't a deterrent? This is why people don't trust politicians

Unironically.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nenonen posted:

It should be obvious that you should never wish murder or rape on anyone, or cheer at it. That's completely and utterly tasteless. If Farage died in a plane crash or a COVID denialist died of COVID then that's on them, but murder is a very serious, traumatizing crime.

The dude's dead already, why do you need to masturbate on it? Not saying that you can't be relieved that he's gone, we are all going to go one day and it's probably to the better that some would go sooner... but being glad that they were violently assassinated is not a good thing.

People being tasteless on Something Awful dot com? Dearie me, whatever next? People exhaling Carbon Dioxide, exacerbating the green house effect?

Why is it ok to be relieved but not to be happy? He's dead, he doesn't care. And it doesn't seem like he has family who post here so :shrug: he made the world a worse place to live for a lot of vulnerable people. If finding joy that there's one less Tory in the world makes me a bad person then I'm a bad person. At least I haven't dedicated a career in public service to making life harder for vulnerable people, be they immigrants, LGBT, poor or all of the above, so I'm better than Amess.

Would you honestly have kidded on you were sad if someone had shot Stalin in 1923, before he could take charge of the USSR? Or Mussolini in 1918? Come off it.

The only argument I've seen for why this a tragedy that isn't the weepiest Liberal garbage is what it means for the state of our institutions, and even that is nonsense because this is a symptom of the rot in our institutions rather than the cause.

(Also away & shite, nobody is wanking themselves off to the news, what sort of weirdo conflates happiness with horniness?)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

In lighter news

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1449314301014155268?s=21

Oct 4, 2005

https://medium.com/@edwinhayward/the-brexit-goalposts-just-shifted-e58ccf04ad1d

Interesting read on the Tory pivot from "Brexit will have no downsides" to "Brexit was always going to have downsides and its YOUR fault"

quote:

If they can get Leavers to accept the idea of Brexit-as-a-journey, then the Tories will be able to get them to accept almost any hardship. Why? Sunk cost. The more Brexit damage that Leavers mentally write off because they believe the Tory tale that it’s in pursuit of some higher ideal, the more invested they become in seeing that pursuit through to its conclusion. (The alternative is to recognise the damage, and by doing so admit to themselves that they made a mistake in voting Leave in 2016.)

Its as ingenious as it is infuriating because you just know its gonna work

1965917 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 16, 2021

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

forkboy84 posted:

People being tasteless on Something Awful dot com? Dearie me, whatever next? People exhaling Carbon Dioxide, exacerbating the green house effect?

Why is it ok to be relieved but not to be happy? He's dead, he doesn't care. And it doesn't seem like he has family who post here so :shrug: he made the world a worse place to live for a lot of vulnerable people. If finding joy that there's one less Tory in the world makes me a bad person then I'm a bad person. At least I haven't dedicated a career in public service to making life harder for vulnerable people, be they immigrants, LGBT, poor or all of the above, so I'm better than Amess.

Would you honestly have kidded on you were sad if someone had shot Stalin in 1923, before he could take charge of the USSR? Or Mussolini in 1918? Come off it.

The only argument I've seen for why this a tragedy that isn't the weepiest Liberal garbage is what it means for the state of our institutions, and even that is nonsense because this is a symptom of the rot in our institutions rather than the cause.

(Also away & shite, nobody is wanking themselves off to the news, what sort of weirdo conflates happiness with horniness?)

stuff like this is why only weirdos post in this thread anymore

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

atal posted:

Who the gently caress are you?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Who the gently caress are you?

A drive-by decorumist.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

atal posted:

if this is an example of the level of posting we're somehow missing out on, then actually I think we'll be fine thanks

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

You see killing people via decisions, orders, paper work and bureaucracy is actually fine, good and even cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfeCZ6TpWKs

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

atal posted:

We're all goons here

Mebh
May 10, 2010

As has been pointed out (and ignored in favour of the usual arguing black and white lines in a very grey subject) it is quite possible to hold multiple opinions and have them contrast each other.

Murder is bad.

Tories are bad.

A man was murdered, he was a tory. It is bad that he was murdered but I do not particularly care that he was as he was a bad person as his voting record showed in addition to his propping up of the party.

I feel for people who lost someone they cared about on a human level, but politically he was very clearly a poo poo, as likely his friends were.

The fact that politicians are entirely excused from decisions that cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands because they are sufficiently removed from it and protected by a complicit media is part of the issue of responsibility and "post truth" culture that needs fixing.

They should not be able to get away with it.
They should not be murdered for it either.

Also here's a guardian opinion piece in how hypocritical the royals are regarding climate change to change the subject a bit. News at 11, grass green, rich people propped up by the establishment not.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/15/green-royals-saving-the-planet-helicopter-queen-charles-william-climate

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

atal posted:

wrap it up guys

The council of normies has spoken

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Stanley Johnson live on Sky News right now, and I just tuned on while he was bumbling something about capital punishment.
While talking about Amess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

Stanley Johnson live on Sky News right now, and I just tuned on while he was bumbling something about capital punishment.
While talking about Amess.

"Sack" Kay Burley: Now normally in a crisis we would turn to speak to the Prime Minsiter. But he is on a holiday mandated by his advisors after the last disastrous interview he gave.
So instead we will interview his father.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've heard rumors that the person who killed David Amess was wacked out his bonce on cake. loving criminal.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The Question IRL posted:

"Sack" Kay Burley: Now normally in a crisis we would turn to speak to the Prime Minsiter. But he is on a holiday mandated by his advisors after the last disastrous interview he gave.
So instead we will interview his father.

I remember they trotted him out during the general election campaign too.

loving incredible that the 'prime minister's dad' is given airtime like that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

He's already got a job. Why does he feel the need for another one?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Shyrka posted:

loving incredible that the 'prime minister's dad' is given airtime like that.

He's such a character though! He's a larf!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

There's a deep irony in two days ago the government saying "GPs need to do more face to face meetings, you cannot give proper contact remotely, they just need to suck it up" and 2 days later a conservative MP saying "MPs need to think about their safety and use more online meetings instead of face to face, it works just as well".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sinky posted:

"Patel pays tribute to MP as 'man of the people'"

He hated the poors, the gays, and the women who need an abortion, but ~he really cared about animals though~
Shows you who Tories think of as people.

Paperhouse posted:

I assume they were referring to the time that Farage actually did almost die in a plane crash
Also that the crash in question was a vanity project, he didn't need to be on the plane, and it crashed specifically because of the UKIP banner they were trailing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/crash-pilot-who-threatened-ukip-leader-nigel-farage-found-dead-8989517.html

The pilot did not end up so lucky.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you do want something fun to watch to lighten your mood, there's this video from the ongoing 25 Years of Doom Let's Play from these same dead forums.

It takes a few minutes to really get going, and apparently isn't great if you get motion sick watching vidya games, but I thought it was a hoot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Shows you who Tories think of as people.

Also that the crash in question was a vanity project, he didn't need to be on the plane, and it crashed specifically because of the UKIP banner they were trailing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/crash-pilot-who-threatened-ukip-leader-nigel-farage-found-dead-8989517.html

The pilot did not end up so lucky.

I'd never heard the story of the pilot, that's pretty sad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

atal posted:

That's genuinely good to know. I didn't realise "not weeping over dead dirtbags" was the only thing it took to keep awful people out of the thread but I'm glad it's that easy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it was an emimently reasonable post to be honest.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thankfully there’s always the bastion of sanity of the other U.K. thread where you can celebrate the glory of gulags and pogroms

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Schadenfreude is linked with low self esteem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Thankfully there’s always the bastion of sanity of the other U.K. thread where you can celebrate the glory of gulags and pogroms

A thing nobody has argued for. Dinnae be a dafty

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So some elderly bigoted pro-life shitbag got murdered by a British-Somali man, who just gave Patel and the rest of her racist fash ilk an excuse to grab more power and rights away from the rest of us. gently caress that guy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Interesting thing.

Last month a longstanding C-SPAM poster (with an 06 reg date) in the USA got himself charged with attempted murder after apparently shooting at some Proud Boys.

His post history for his original and his alt account is fully available, and if you go back far enough, you can see him slowly radicalising himself over time. It's all just jokes and shitposting, until suddenly it wasn't.

If this thread continues going the way it has been for the last several years, then sooner or later we'll have someone who's either posting or lurking here, who crosses the Rubicon and starts to think they should act on some of the sentiments being thrown around here ten-a-penny ha-ha-only-serious, and that really isn't going to end well.

On a completely unrelated note, combating what they call "self-initiated terrorism", particularly involving use of the Internet, is already a hot button issue for the police, and will likely become even more so in the wake of yesterday. I also vaguely recall that some people ITT back in the dim and distant have had door knocks from Dixon of Dock Green after some particularly uncharitable posting in close proximity to major events.

By the way, encouraging or glorifying acts of terrorism is an offence contrary to section 1 Terrorism Act 2006. The offence is potentially triable at Crown Court, where the maximum sentence is seven years in prison.

If we're not comfortable with all this, then we really need to take a long hard look at ourselves, and what we say ITT, and what we tolerate being said.

On the other hand, if we've successfully run off the outside world and we're only left with genuine true revolutionary believers, or at least those who are happy to hang around with people who are, then I'd want to at least be expressing myself somewhere a little more discreet than the internet equivalent of the public bar at the Red Rose Club.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The slope is slippery and the boot tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Interesting thing.

Last month a longstanding C-SPAM poster (with an 06 reg date) in the USA got himself charged with attempted murder after apparently shooting at some Proud Boys.

His post history for his original and his alt account is fully available, and if you go back far enough, you can see him slowly radicalising himself over time. It's all just jokes and shitposting, until suddenly it wasn't.

If this thread continues going the way it has been for the last several years, then sooner or later we'll have someone who's either posting or lurking here, who crosses the Rubicon and starts to think they should act on some of the sentiments being thrown around here ten-a-penny ha-ha-only-serious, and that really isn't going to end well.

On a completely unrelated note, combating what they call "self-initiated terrorism", particularly involving use of the Internet, is already a hot button issue for the police, and will likely become even more so in the wake of yesterday. I also vaguely recall that some people ITT back in the dim and distant have had door knocks from Dixon of Dock Green after some particularly uncharitable posting in close proximity to major events.

By the way, encouraging or glorifying acts of terrorism is an offence contrary to section 1 Terrorism Act 2006. The offence is potentially triable at Crown Court, where the maximum sentence is seven years in prison.

If we're not comfortable with all this, then we really need to take a long hard look at ourselves, and what we say ITT, and what we tolerate being said.

On the other hand, if we've successfully run off the outside world and we're only left with genuine true revolutionary believers, or at least those who are happy to hang around with people who are, then I'd want to at least be expressing myself somewhere a little more discreet than the internet equivalent of the public bar at the Red Rose Club.

shut the gently caress up