Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Are you guys talking about bone tomahawk? I thought it was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

It rules

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Speaking of graphic novels, I just read Fight Club 2 and 3 and I want my time back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

If you're Superman just push the planet away to cool it. Or do astroid mining with your fists or something.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Superman is joining extinction rebellion now?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Speaking of graphic novels, I just read Fight Club 2 and 3 and I want my time back.

Does it continue from the book or movie? Cuz i can see a sequel to the book where the protag has to fight what he created, but the movies ending seems far less able to go anywhere interesting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coathat posted:

It rules

It's a fun genre mixture film (horror movie + western) similar to Ravenous

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tankbuster posted:

Superman is joining extinction rebellion now?

super man painting his hand red so the cops know to arrest him.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

so you think transphobes just attack any lgbt person they see any reference to at any time like bulls seeing a red flag and dont even bother to make a contextual distinction between the ones who are being referenced in such a way to imply they also have antitrans beliefs

Jesus, it's like talking to a four year old. Here, I'll lay it out, and you can point out which step you have a problem with:

a) Dave Chapelle panders to transphobes in his new special.

b) Netflix (while firing the trans employees who complained) justifies airing the special by saying "Well, we also platform pro-queer creators like Hannah Gadsby."

c) Hannah Gadsby says "Hey Netflix, all the people who suddenly love Dave Chapelle are the same people who constantly harass me for creating queer content, so don't loving hide behind me."

With the basic principle here being that you can't compensate for creating bigoted content by creating non-bigoted content. The two aren't equivalent actions, they don't cancel each other out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Jesus, it's like talking to a four year old. Here, I'll lay it out, and you can point out which step you have a problem with:

a) Dave Chapelle panders to transphobes in his new special.

not true as has been noted chapelles bit is mainly critical of cancel culture which among other things drove a trans friend of his to suicide for having the termity to defend him on twitter

quote:

b) Netflix (while firing the trans employees who complained) justifies airing the special by saying "Well, we also platform pro-queer creators like Hannah Gadsby."

also not true hannah gadsby was mentioned in an internal memo from the netflix ceo not a public statement from netflix at large and hardly anyone even noticed the memo at all until gadsby filed a response

quote:

c) Hannah Gadsby says "Hey Netflix, all the people who suddenly love Dave Chapelle are the same people who constantly harass me for creating queer content, so don't loving hide behind me."

also not true and ill simply post the tweet again since you appear to have a reading comprehension problem

https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1449027747452436484

gadsby is clearly saying theres a direct correlation between new dave chapelle specials getting released and her having to deal with more hate and anger whatever that means she actually goes out of her way to avoid contextualizing the issue in terms of larger societal homophobia this being the premise of my original joke her phrasing was really dumb

quote:

With the basic principle here being that you can't compensate for creating bigoted content by creating non-bigoted content. The two aren't equivalent actions, they don't cancel each other out.

i agree with this and if hannah gadsby had actually said that i wouldnt have made a post making fun of her

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I've seen many, many people struggle w/ this including myself. You can't erase lovely behavior w/ good actions (especially if they're performative), coincidentally this is I think the thesis of the Sopranos movie except it was buried under a lot of forgettable scenes.

I also think it's dumb to compare individuals' actions to that of a corporation like Netflix, but yea lots of people out there trying to undo harm w/ mutual aid or fundraising for good causes. The misstep is not holding yourself accountable for the bad stuff and trying to ignore or erase it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

not true as has been noted chapelles bit is mainly critical of cancel culture which among other things drove a trans friend of his to suicide for having the termity to defend him on twitter

he did not have a trans friend. he let a trans comic open for him, they bombed, then he mocked her for it. fine. happens in comedy. well, then he brings her up in the special and talks about her death, using her as a shield. they were not friend.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

"As has been noted" by who? You? Because I watched the special and he's either a piece of poo poo, or pretending to be one for clicks. He's just doing the now-standard bigot tactic of attacking others while also playing the victim, talking about how persecuted it makes him feel when people (correctly!) tell him to shut the gently caress up about poo poo he doesn't understand.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/MCUPerfectGifs/status/1448933958373228545 "this looks good" - several freaks and psychopaths who post in this thread

whenever something like this shows primordial neolithic people as living in rags in a flat barren wasteland (because those are the few non-builtup, non-recognizable landscapes left on earth to film in) i just think about our sliding perceptions of nature and how obviously a landscape like we see here is hostile to human life

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Does it continue from the book or movie? Cuz i can see a sequel to the book where the protag has to fight what he created, but the movies ending seems far less able to go anywhere interesting

I got as far as Tyler Durden being an immortal spirit of chaos that has harried humanity for generations, and who was going to try and possess the narrator' and Marla's son like he was Chuckie looking for a new body. I then returned the book to the library.

It's a textbook example of an author completely misunderstanding why people enjoyed a book, and leaning heavily into the "You can't edit me anymore, I'm successful!" portion of their career

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I got as far as Tyler Durden being an immortal spirit of chaos that has harried humanity for generations, and who was going to try and possess the narrator' and Marla's son like he was Chuckie looking for a new body. I then returned the book to the library.

It's a textbook example of an author completely misunderstanding why people enjoyed a book, and leaning heavily into the "You can't edit me anymore, I'm successful!" portion of their career

What the gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1445317684913115137?t=iEDIGrfitZEUePOYcCuxVA&s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

oh god james gunn got his girlfriend a job again

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/MCUPerfectGifs/status/1448933958373228545 "this looks good" - several freaks and psychopaths who post in this thread

fingerguns

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mameluke posted:

whenever something like this shows primordial neolithic people as living in rags in a flat barren wasteland (because those are the few non-builtup, non-recognizable landscapes left on earth to film in) i just think about our sliding perceptions of nature and how obviously a landscape like we see here is hostile to human life

Apparently this is supposed to take place in mesopotemia. You know the place known as the Fertile Crescent.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

how come they didn't stop the holocaust?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Farm Frenzy posted:

gently caress yeahj... dope...

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how come they didn't stop the holocaust?

I think the story is that if they meddle in human affairs that much, an omnipotent
intergalactic space god comes and passes judgement, destroying everything. But now they're coming anyway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1449422941142196224?t=P8-AtVPUIQbme8cBbNOhMw&s=19

I'm personally excited for the various JSA characters. I just hope they are done well and not just cannon fodder.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Suleman posted:

I think the story is that if they meddle in human affairs that much, an omnipotent
intergalactic space god comes and passes judgement, destroying everything. But now they're coming anyway.

Should have passed that debt ceiling bill sooner.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
how long has this black adam movie been in the works? it feels like a decade

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Judakel posted:

how long has this black adam movie been in the works? it feels like a decade

Almost 2 decades.

I think it will be borrowing heavily from the JSA vol 1 which ran from 1999-2006.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hey guys it's me, cool black adam

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1448299360526163973

[Poop Culture] Amazon's upcoming "Lord of the Rings" to feature Maori-type Hobbits

what im getting here is that libs want to inject minorities into everything so they can return to the womb of never having to feel guilt or engage with complexity- so they can be white again like they used to be.

like i honestly learned a lot of important but weird things about racism (like the influence of wagner on racism and fantasy) by engaging with the fact that there are racist elements in a story about elves by a guy who told nazi fans that he wished he were part Jewish so he could tell them to gently caress off even harder.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Oct 16, 2021

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Judakel posted:

he did not have a trans friend. he let a trans comic open for him, they bombed, then he mocked her for it. fine. happens in comedy. well, then he brings her up in the special and talks about her death, using her as a shield. they were not friend.

I haven't watched it personally but read he also repeatedly misgenders her as a joke, saying she'd have thought it was funny. I'd be interested in watching it to form my opinion if I thought this was at all valid but it doesn't seem worth it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I haven't watched it personally but read he also repeatedly misgenders her as a joke, saying she'd have thought it was funny. I'd be interested in watching it to form my opinion if I thought this was at all valid but it doesn't seem worth it.

i have no idea if it is her or they so i used both. i just know a story was passed on from a friend

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh anybody who likes cool south korean action poo poo but isnt a big fan of the capitalist discourse stuff should probably check out my name on netflix which just dropped yesterday its a pretty straightforward gangster story where the lead chick joins her dads gang to avenge him becomes a cop mole when she finds out he was merced by a cop and just beats the poo poo out of people

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

https://twitter.com/blaze_casual/status/1448140844301578240?s=21

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Judakel posted:

i have no idea if it is her or they so i used both. i just know a story was passed on from a friend

What you described is also exactly what I heard, seems bad and not good.

^^^^thank you.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

With the recent addition to Netflix I'd just like to mention that Jerry Seinfeld thinks that foreign accents are the funniest poo poo and he fought hard to make sure his hit show would age poorly in that particular way.

ive been surprised at how much jerrys standup loving sucked. im halfway tru season 3 and not a single standup bit has been the least bit funny

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the bits that set up episodes in the early seasons are easily the worst aspect of the show

beyond that he's the weakest cast member by miles, outdone by a half-dozen background characters like George's parents

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The formula of the seemingly random plot lines coming together in the end is what people usually talked about while it was airing, I think the earlier seasons were still working it out. Larry David carried this over into CYE as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

the bits that set up episodes in the early seasons are easily the worst aspect of the show

beyond that he's the weakest cast member by miles, outdone by a half-dozen background characters like George's parents
If you were a true connoisseur of comedy, you'd know he was deliberately playing an unfunny comedian, to round off the gang of failures/idiots that was everyone else.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

what are you talking about I love how he is a poo poo actor who can't avoid ruining any scene with his clearly superior cast mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked how the scripts in later seasons deliberately write jerry as an emotionally stunted weirdo to disguise his inability to act