Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cat amazing stuff is pretty good, and it's cardboard so not a massive loss if kitty ends up ignoring it.

I'd start with the classic if you choose them, the big one can frustrate a cat that hasn't figured out how the game works yet. How well either model works depends how motivated by treats they are.

We also got a "Trixie activity fun board" on Amazon that was cat popular. It's not much of a puzzle though, they figure it out extremely quickly. It's a solid product though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any advice/recommendations on pet insurance? I had my cats on Banfield's Wellness Plans for the longest time, but their prices have gotten ridiculously expensive in recent years and any time a cat needed something more than a dental cleaning or a shot Banfield would just say "go to the emergency clinic" where I'd end up paying full price anyways.

pidan posted:

vet called my cat fat and now I'm sad

any tips for a cat that could stand to lose half a pound?

A vet once called one of my cats a "chunky monkey" which was very adorable but not at all helpful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

Any advice/recommendations on pet insurance? I had my cats on Banfield's Wellness Plans for the longest time, but their prices have gotten ridiculously expensive in recent years and any time a cat needed something more than a dental cleaning or a shot Banfield would just say "go to the emergency clinic" where I'd end up paying full price anyways.

Trupanion is well recommended to me here. I still don't know if it's economically wise, the quote I got for Quill was ~$60/mo CAD (~$40 USD). She'll be getting anything she needs, I'd just take it out of my savings anyways, so I was just looking at insurance to see if it was financially smarter.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As far as I understand it pet insurance is never financially worth it if you have substantial savings/income and can afford large medical expenses if they arise, it's only useful if you don't have that safety and need to pay more over the very long run to ensure that you can afford a sudden expense.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Would pet insurance reject you if your pet is already suffering from a pre-existing condition? Like, I figure I’m probably fine not insuring my healthy 3-year-old cat, but what if she’s 17 and is in early renal failure?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ballz posted:

Would pet insurance reject you if your pet is already suffering from a pre-existing condition? Like, I figure I’m probably fine not insuring my healthy 3-year-old cat, but what if she’s 17 and is in early renal failure?

Usually they would insure older pets, maybe not if they're already very sick. But it costs a lot more than insuring a young, healthy pet, so in the end the financial outcome might still not be worth it (which makes sense if you think about it, if everyone got more out than they put in, the insurance would lose money, and unlike human health insurance they're not state subsidized).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat apparently seems to really like crickets. I'm not sure if she would eat them, but she found the plastic bag of crickets VERY interesting!

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

just need the world to know that i gave my cat a vitamin b12 injection yesterday and neither of us died :toot:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold use the water fountain you little rear end in a top hat also eat the urinary food don’t just lick up the gravy then yell for your old kibble!!!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

jimmychoo posted:

just need the world to know that i gave my cat a vitamin b12 injection yesterday and neither of us died :toot:

My vet laughed at me when I asked how I was supposed to give a pain pill after getting fixed.

Just make everything a liquid its so much easier to just squirt in the mouth :saddowns:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Luckily Harold doesn't seem to hold too much of a grudge post pilling but he will fight like hell. Part of how I know he's feeling better is it's getting harder and harder to do the twice a day we need to :argh:

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

drunken officeparty posted:

My vet laughed at me when I asked how I was supposed to give a pain pill after getting fixed.

Just make everything a liquid its so much easier to just squirt in the mouth :saddowns:

they were laughing at me saying that giving a shot is easier than giving a pill and i was like WE’LL SEE. i think they might be correct though. i give my cat a pill every day and now he’ll get weekly injections too. the pill still stresses me out every time even though he is used to it and a very very good boy.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
My 14 year old girl just had 5 teeth extracted that were bothering her, she's recovering well but I have a question. Is it normal for a cat her age to not groom following tooth extraction? It might be an obvious answer but I've never dealt with this before.

She smells pretty bad lol, I made sure the smell wasn't coming from her mouth because I know that can be a sign of infection. Just in general she smells pretty nasty but otherwise she's more or less back to her old self and her last day of pain meds is today. I figure maybe it could also be the buprenox which is an opioid making her too out of it to care about grooming too?

I know the common suggestion would be to bathe her but she is absolutely not the type to allow that. If I forced her to take a bath she'd probably hurt herself fighting back the whole time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's hard to say why for sure, but it's common for older cats to not groom themselves well, or any cat if it's not feeling great. One of our cats started smelling bad and we weren't sure why, and then he got sick with a hairball blockage, so that explained that.

I'd recommend taking her to a groomer for a bath, if they're good they'll know how to deal with cranky cats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rotten Red Rod posted:

if they're good they'll know how to deal with cranky cats

Or if your cat is a weirdo like mine, they love their groomer. :psyduck:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I always feel awful when a bath is necessitated. Oliver is such a good boy he'll just sit there and take it, but will make the most pathetic, upset, whiny noises the entire time. Just sits there looking wet, defeated, and miserable.

Groom yourself better you little rear end in a top hat! Clean your rear end in a top hat rear end in a top hat!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I’m really worried about one of my older cats. She’s eating and drinking fine (when it’s something she wants), but she threw up at least twice yesterday, including all of her dinner, and a couple of times earlier this week. She doesn’t seem to have any pain or sensitivity when I palpate her stomach, and the vomit is pinkish, since that’s the food color, there’s now brown liquid or black spots to indicate q bleed that I could see. She’s still been really excited every time it’s meal time. I can’t tell if she’s used the litter box because she keeps herself well-groomed and shares litter boxes with a couple of other cats.

Edit: I’m probably just going to take her to the emergency vets after work. Not looking forward to another big bill but better safe than sorry.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
Need some training help with a cat that will not give up going outside.

We adopted a pair of kittens (Ella Kittsgerald and Sweet Emma Purrett) a year ago after our much beloved oldest cat Selene passed away at 23.

As a kid, my family always had cats, some were kept outside, some roamed freely, and some stayed inside. As adult caretakers of cats, we've aimed to keep them entirely inside.

But this little poo poo Ella has not given up on going outside. For the past several months, she's bolted outside, sometimes multiple times a day. When she gets out she wants to escape and won't come back even for treats.

When she comes back, her sister hisses and growls at her, further reinforcing the idea that she belongs outside. They aren't getting along very much lately.

Is there a solution other than locking this baby in a room until she loses interest? We have a lot going on in general right now with doctor's appointments and renovations necessitated by living with an elderly family member.

Obligatory kitten pile--Ella is on the bottom.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have a coworker who’s cat kept trying to escape and their solution was to harness train him and take him on leashed walks outside.

She said he stopped trying to escape. She walks him every morning before work and sometimes after, even in rain and snow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some noise the cat reacts strongly to helps too. For us it was a compressed air can. Every time we opened the door we'd spray some air and she'd bolt off back into the house. Eventually she'd post up about ten feet from the door and just watch us.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Todd used to bolt every so often. Once he got through a hole in the fence into the yard of the house behind us and my wife stepped in a grown-over hole and hosed up her ankle trying to get him. Another time he went under our deck. Both times his dumbass came right back for catnip and treats and got scruffed and tossed unceremoniously back inside

Occasionally Fartie and Elder Boots will now have their curious little noses by the door when we're going in and out but we haven't actually had an escape attempt.

Fartie, however, is extremely curious about the outside. When her dumbass knocked an IKEA crayon light through the kids' window and left a sizable hole (which I put cardboard and copious amounts of duct tape over because replacing it wasn't in the budget at that point), we came home from the store one night to me smelling outside, seeing that cardboard pried and gaped open, and her stupid loving rear end sitting outside and meowing up at me.

I opened the window and she came right back in. A round of Frontline avoided any flea/tick issues she might have picked up from God knows how long sitting outside, and my wife went and bought a piece of Lexan right then and there for me to tape over the hole. No more escape attempts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chasing a cat outside is about the worst thing to do anyways, they're evolved to be really good at getting away. Be chill and calm and it works a little better.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My cat is an outdoor cat at heart. He tolerated a harness and we would go for walks around the street, which helped, but he never stopped scratching at the windows or meowing at the front door. As soon as I was able to, I started letting him go outside and honestly even if it's raining and freezing cold, he woud rather find some shelter outside and sit there rather than be inside.

A harness might help, or a catio if you have the space, but she might never lose interest.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 17, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I could I'd build a giant mesh dome in my backyard for my cat to play around in. I knew someone whose house had like a little "tunnel" with like mesh sides going around the outside of their house for their pets to be able to better experience the outdoors safely.

I dunno about my current apartment, I might do that for the next one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Just today we put in a sliding glass door insert that has a magnetic flap (3 flaps actually, I got the more energy efficient double paned model) so the cats can go out onto our lanai whenever they want. So far we just put a coolaroo and a little planter full of catnip out there, but there's a little tree and a little house coming over the next few days as well.

Our bengal, Khan, is gonna live out there once she notices; half the reason we got it is that she screams at us to let her out there all the time. Rexie was already out there investigating the plants a little while ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Organza Quiz posted:

As far as I understand it pet insurance is never financially worth it if you have substantial savings/income and can afford large medical expenses if they arise, it's only useful if you don't have that safety and need to pay more over the very long run to ensure that you can afford a sudden expense.

It wasn't worth it for me even without savings. The insurance available in my area didn't pay the vet directly, I would have to pay the vet at the time of service and then apply for insurance to reimburse me weeks later. There was also an annual deductible and a lifetime payment cap.

Instead we set up a savings account. Deposit what you would be paying in premiums into a savings account instead and after a while you'll have a nice buffer.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I was looking at insurance for my cats and doing the math it was going to be $1800 a year for all of them (while kittens!), with ratcheting premiums as they got older. It would only make sense at 10% deductible if they fell off a window and broke like three legs. So it's basically a bet whether they'll have unforeseen medical expenses and whether you'll have the money to cover other typical expenses as they arise. Setting aside that money in lieu of insurance is a good idea, but you also have to be realistic that if you do get the situation where a cat breaks three limbs, and you only have $500 in the tagged account, whether you can feasible cover another $1000 at a moment's notice. Insurance works because most of the time because most insureds won't make a claim in a given period, spreading risk. I'm assuming the risk in my case because I believe I can minimize hazards, but it can't control for things like cancer or undetected genetic diseases or even lapses of attention. If that sort of thing keeps you up at night, or you can't honestly say that you'll have more in the budget for pet care health care than what you'd pay monthly for a premium, then insurance may be worth it for that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have a cat who needs digest sensitive cat food and the stuff we normally get, royal canin, is completely gone everywhere. Petflow, chewy, local stores, etc. It's honestly scary. She vomits if she eats anything else! Had anyone else noticed this?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

redreader posted:

We have a cat who needs digest sensitive cat food and the stuff we normally get, royal canin, is completely gone everywhere. Petflow, chewy, local stores, etc. It's honestly scary. She vomits if she eats anything else! Had anyone else noticed this?

Supply chain issues are spiraling up everywhere, yeah. People who can afford it should definitely stock up a bit on things like these if they can. Heating oil too, it’s predicted to shoot up like 50% in costs this winter :(

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

redreader posted:

Yeah, wet kitten food for my buddies has been hard to get by. I'm starting to stock up to be on the safe side.

My little grey lady has regressed a little after I had to take her to the vet on Friday. She's hiding more and won't let me pet her. She will accept treats from me and let me pet her while she ate earlier today. I just feel a little bad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

redreader posted:

That sucks, I have to give one of mine that stuff (and he still pukes it up sometimes) but luckily we just bought one of those massive vacuum sealed bags. Kinda thinking about getting another now just to be safe.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Perfect Prin eyes! This is her "good morning, Mommy, can you please pet me now that I've spent seven hours with my paw up your nose?"

And here's a pathetic Boots the Younger, soaking up the little bit of sun filtering through the plantation shutters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whats the trick to get a cat to use a new scratching post?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I held my cat's paw and showed her that you can scratch the post.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That and hope!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

How long has it been? Generally they'll figure it out.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Have they used other scratching posts before? Some cats are picky and only like certain ones. My cat has no interest in cardboard scratchers or carpeted things, but she loves the sisal rope ones.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pidan posted:

How long has it been? Generally they'll figure it out.

Less than a day, I ask in case there's a trick I could try to do to speed it up.

Khizan posted:

Have they used other scratching posts before? Some cats are picky and only like certain ones. My cat has no interest in cardboard scratchers or carpeted things, but she loves the sisal rope ones.

Dunno, she's a recently adopted cat and I didn't see a post in her kennel at the rescue place.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You could try rubbing some catnip on it to catch their interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I find scratching posts unpopular, and cardboard scratching floor pads a lot more popular.