Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1448989301690220566
You see, it's your fault for living in an area vulnerable to the climate change disasters we've caused.

lol i heard this story on the radio the other day. in typical NPR style it's "middle income" americans complaining that their bougie property has to be insured and it's somehow an absolute shock to them that as climate disasters increase so do their insurance premiums.

in any case the funniest part is the lady explaining that they bought this house in like Key West or some stupid place through Habitat (which is lmao in itself), and they had no idea! that the flood insurance would be through the roof. at one point she says something like "we got our dream house and we never would have been able to afford it if it wasn't a total remodel after being gutted by Irma. oh it's still not ready to be habitable."

just laughs all around really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1449222272116568066?s=21

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This comic from 2011 fails to predict Bitcoin, which would easily outpace Superman's power-generating capacity if he made electricity free for everyone

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lmfao that this thread fell for a junk paper that was a stealth ad for some grifters published in a predatory journal that accepts anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shipon posted:

lmfao that this thread fell for a junk paper that was a stealth ad for some grifters published in a predatory journal that accepts anything

this happens any time anything gets put online that reinforces the worldview like that one dumb twitter user

it’s because the new supermen is also gay, now, suddenly, which kinda bugs me

so ofc he’s doing all the socially cool causes

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1449343995268714497

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/Peters_Glen/status/1448899413951266819

Rectal Death Adept posted:

have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

0_0

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lol those nerds still think we are "almost too late" to prevent 1.5c with their stupid carbon graph which buys them another decade to rationalize that the 1.5c world won't be too bad and those miracle reductions 20+ years from now keep us at that miraculous dotted line of carbon emission that then fixes and stabilizes everything

lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

lol those nerds still think we are "almost too late" to prevent 1.5c with their stupid carbon graph which buys them another decade to rationalize that the 1.5c world won't be too bad and those miracle reductions 20+ years from now keep us at that miraculous dotted line of carbon emission that then fixes and stabilizes everything

lmao

There's a surprisingly large industry springing up that consists of scientists and other public figures just trying to rationalize their way into some kind of hope because it's not fashionable yet to recognize how we're already locked into maximum catastrophe

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

but the curve starts going back down in 2060!
i guess because everyone is dead

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

r u ready to WALK posted:

Or at the very least, industrial society has collapsed. Which would take out most people

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it’s even better than that

CDR is carbon dioxide removal. the line goes back down because of the necessity to assume a large increase in carbon dioxide removal.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

Wonder if all those wells leaking methane are enough to keep things at a high plateau for awhile.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shipon posted:

Which one was that

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the truly important thing now is the complete verification of the veracity of every link posted about the climate.

Any specific academic paper is not automatically a trustworthy source simply by being published in a journal and we need to investigate each paper's authors and journal acceptance standards and publishing history

if we do not do this then our shitposts might be inaccurate

That is definitely our main concern right now

This is definitely what someone should spend more than a single second thinking about

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

T-Paine posted:

There's a surprisingly large industry springing up that consists of scientists and other public figures just trying to rationalize their way into some kind of hope because it's not fashionable yet to recognize how we're already locked into maximum catastrophe

i attended a virtual seminar about climate change where it was interactive, and you got to post a word that output as a word cloud from all the responses. one question was, “in one word, describe how you feel about climate change.” i chose “doom.” he called me out later and said doomsaying is just as bad as climate change denialism, lol. sure, buddy. let’s talk about making campus carbon neutral some more.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

its the skeletons in the bar joke

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"doomsaying is just as bad as climate change denial"

even our evil twin thread over in the semantics walled garden still thinks this way even if they are burning in the fires of trying to grapple with how hosed we are already

I'm sure someone at some point will figure out that meaningless climate change mitigation is more harmful than climate change denial as it just distracts the people most willing to do any actual mitigation and that the best possible course is to make those people understand the severity of the situation so it can be accurately assessed

That's still lightyears away from realizing none of that even matters anymore

lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Rauros posted:

i attended a virtual seminar about climate change where it was interactive, and you got to post a word that output as a word cloud from all the responses. one question was, “in one word, describe how you feel about climate change.” i chose “doom.” he called me out later and said doomsaying is just as bad as climate change denialism, lol. sure, buddy. let’s talk about making campus carbon neutral some more.

if you live in a world where recognizing the truth has zero value, then he's correct in a stupid way because either one could plausibly motivate someone to stop doing something to mitigate climate change. unfortunately some of us care about seeing things how they really are independent of what that does to our psyche

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and what a loving curse that is

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shipon posted:

Oh noes. Whatever will we do when this thread then produces incorrect climate policy regulations! Why then it will be our fault Biden listens to fossil fuel lobbyists and not us. What fools we have been.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

if you live in a world where recognizing the truth has zero value, then he's correct in a stupid way because either one could plausibly motivate someone to stop doing something to mitigate climate change. unfortunately some of us care about seeing things how they really are independent of what that does to our psyche

even if recognizing the truth has zero value to these people mitigating climate change itself has zero value so no one person is better or worse than another

if you live in a world where climate mitigation actually mattered then these pointless, non-emergency, meaningless steps of "Acceptance" in their mind are more harmful as it isolates the only group willing of actually doing anything and makes them do the wrong thing because it's a more comforting state of mind for them.

even if it wasn't a meaningless argument now it'd be a selfish one where every climate change advocate gets to decide their own personal metrics for success while the vast majority of them consider it doing literally loving nothing constructive and the rest of them are mad if you try to explain this to them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember kids, because Biden’s policies are race and ethnicity neutral in their wording it means no matter how many people those policies kill, it can’t be a genocide! So even if Biden’s policies cause the deaths of hundreds of millions of people it isn’t as bad a genocide.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh noes. Whatever will we do when this thread then produces incorrect climate policy regulations! Why then it will be our fault Biden listens to fossil fuel lobbyists and not us. What fools we have been.

I still think my business idea of somehow minority report style predicting when endangered animals would die naturally without interfering with their life and then eating them before they rot would work but I need Joe Biden to sign off on quite a few things.

No one in this thread make Joe Biden angry by not thoroughly researching the citations in every academic report posted to verify that we are actually talking about the ocean dying in 50 years instead of 25 when it's more like right now.

I'm sure once politicians get involved there will be no corruption in my business that causes James Bond Villains to geoengineer climate disasters to "naturally" kill targeted animals for high class dinners to make billions catering to the 1%s sheer glee at consuming the corpse of our planet

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Oct 16, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Shipon posted:

So far no one has refuted any of the papers claims, just the author's and journals motivations. I'm sure the fact that they're publishing out of self interest makes their findings untrustworthy, unlike *real* scientists who are publishing out of *checks notes* self interest? Huh.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

So far no one has refuted any of the papers claims, just the author's and journals motivations. I'm sure the fact that they're publishing out of self interest makes their findings untrustworthy, unlike *real* scientists who are publishing out of *checks notes* self interest? Huh.

Didn’t someone point out they attributed all of the whale deaths to climate change and didn’t account for the whaling industry?

I mean it is a junk paper, but like who cares. If we’re having fun nitpicking let’s do that. If we’re having fun lmaoing let’s do that.

Actually nitpicking would require reading the paper which I haven’t gotten the effort to do yet.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Whale's dead Jim

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Oh no we forgot that people kill whales too

Oh what's that were killing all their food

I'm sure it's fine they'll find something else to eat

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember kids, because Biden’s policies are race and ethnicity neutral in their wording it means no matter how many people those policies kill, it can’t be a genocide! So even if Biden’s policies cause the deaths of hundreds of millions of people it isn’t as bad a genocide.

At least I'm not racist meme except the white guy is the one with the knife.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kaxman posted:

Oh no we forgot that people kill whales too

Oh what's that were killing all their food

I'm sure it's fine they'll find something else to eat

Now I'm imagining what's left of the Orcas banding together to capsize cruise ships so they could devour the tasty fattened-up humans that fall out of the piñata.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/10/14/american-bumble-bees-disappeared-8-states-face-extinction/8448637002/

quote:

Dwindling populations of the American bumblebee and their complete disappearance from eight states has led to a call for the bee to be placed under the Endangered Species Act before they face extinction.

Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Oregon each have zero or close to zero American bumblebees left, according to a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity and Bombus Pollinators Association of Law Students.

"The American bumble bee was once the most common bumble bee species in North America, but without immediate action to protect it under the ESA, it will continue its alarming decline towards extinction," the petition authors wrote.

Over the last two decades, the American bumblebee population has decreased by 89% across the U.S. New York had a decline of 99% and they disappeared from the northern part of Illinois that has seen a 74% decrease in population since 2004, the petition said.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Let's all clap really hard for Tinkerbell, everybody!" :sigh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
bee mass deaths is so last decade. i want my doom to be fresher than that

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bumble bees should be protected

every time i've encountered one in my life we have a stand off and it just stares for a while and floats off so I feel like I owe it to them at this point

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

bee mass deaths is so last decade. i want my doom to be fresher than that

gently caress you I love bees

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I let my yard go totally wild this summer for the first time and the number of bees and butterflies was insane, you could hear them buzzing all over. It was cool so I'm going to continue that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
what about carpenter bees? those fuckers keep drilling holes in our house and deck

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

jisforjosh posted:

what about carpenter bees? those fuckers keep drilling holes in our house and deck

Your error was having a house and deck, rookie mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
has anyone actually figured out what’s killing them yet

last theory I heard was mutations from long term pesticide exposure or something