Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Omobono posted:

I disagree on something though. While everyone struggles against Herakles because Herakles, knowing he's The Strongest™ skips the recognition phase and considering every engagement with him is a coinflip that's an amazing boon.
In the Fate route, Rider gambles on her own NP being a top tier one and runs headfirst into what is probably the second strongest NP in the franchise because she didn't know who Saber was. Would knowledge have mattered? Probably not because of various reasons, but it couldn't hurt.

Archerkins? He's nominally one of the weakest heroes but his particular brand of BS allows him to punch way above his weight class, up to and including hard-countering a particular top tier rear end in a top hat. He'd be hard to recognize because he's a Nameless* nobody, not because he's from the future.
*capitalization is deliberate, but it's not his actual identity.

Strictly speaking, the reason all the Servants had such an rear end time identifying Archer in Stay Night isn't because he was from the future, because the Throne of Heroes exists outside time. It's because he wasn't in the Throne at all. He was an agent of the planet itself, a Guardian, forcibly inserted into the system to prevent the potential end of the world due to what was festering in the Great Grail. Which has two different potential implications about this particular version of him - either he's different in some way that the game will eventually elaborate upon once we get around to his route... or this story is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better, because the kinds of poo poo Guardians get called upon to handle are real bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Omobono posted:

In the Fate route, Rider gambles on her own NP being a top tier one and runs headfirst into what is probably the second strongest NP in the franchise because she didn't know who Saber was. Would knowledge have mattered? Probably not because of various reasons, but it couldn't hurt.

Rider's NP is pretty top tier, and can take out a large number of people. I don't think it loses to any NP in Extra in pure power, including Gawain's. (Excluding a certain exception)

It's just Saber also decided to trade absolutely nothing for her amazing stats and had an even more top tier NP.

Materant posted:

Strictly speaking, the reason all the Servants had such an rear end time identifying Archer in Stay Night isn't because he was from the future, because the Throne of Heroes exists outside time. It's because he wasn't in the Throne at all. He was an agent of the planet itself, a Guardian, forcibly inserted into the system to prevent the potential end of the world due to what was festering in the Great Grail.

Nah, he's in the Throne. While he is also a Guardian, and serves in that capacity most of the time, he became a Heroic Spirit because he became a Counter Guardian.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

BisbyWorl posted:

You can talk about him as he is in Stay Night, but how he plays out here is a no-go until we're actually on his route.

But yes, good loving luck trying to name a guy who became a hero in the future.

So it's good that I have no idea how he's portrayed in this except that he has a weird loving mullet in the Musou and he's basically the same character with a funny gimmick.

It would be so unfair being on the other side of that guy and having to try and figure out who he is. He's not even a real Heroic Spirit in the traditional sense, so it's not like you can go digging up lore and legends and stories about him. His unique gimmick will also give you completely fake information, to the point where in FGO they actually have him incarnate partially as a famous swordsmith because of his ability to just make a billion weapons. You're not only going to have no information, you're going to have wrong information! At least with the fox girl it feels like your typical nasu bullshit. In a world where King Arthur is actually a girl, her being a Fox Spirit just means she's got to be tied to Japan somehow but then after that ????

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
edit: probably spoilers, nvm

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 14, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Fumbles posted:

So it's good that I have no idea how he's portrayed in this except that he has a weird loving mullet in the Musou and he's basically the same character with a funny gimmick.

It would be so unfair being on the other side of that guy and having to try and figure out who he is. He's not even a real Heroic Spirit in the traditional sense, so it's not like you can go digging up lore and legends and stories about him. His unique gimmick will also give you completely fake information, to the point where in FGO they actually have him incarnate partially as a famous swordsmith because of his ability to just make a billion weapons. You're not only going to have no information, you're going to have wrong information! At least with the fox girl it feels like your typical nasu bullshit. In a world where King Arthur is actually a girl, her being a Fox Spirit just means she's got to be tied to Japan somehow but then after that ????

For an easy example of how this feels, just look at any time Cu Chulainn fights him in Stay Night.

It basically ends in "what the gently caress kind of Heroic Spirit are you" every time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XXI - End of a hero

Music: None

I turn toward the voice coming from behind me. He wears the clothes of a priest, which in the end only makes his snide tongue more jarring.

Come to the first floor when ready. You can do something trifling like stop by the commissary if needed.

Apparently finished, he opens the door and lets himself out. In preparation for the Elimination Battle, I should go to the Chapel and the commissary. Or, I could go to my personal room and sort out my information on the enemy Servant. And then, once that's in order, I'll go to where Kotomine is.

The school is empty, once again.

Music: Down to Dawn

And that means Hakuno will finally be able to put the clues together.

Dan Blackmore. Our opponent this time is a veteran soldier. Since I could never hope to make up decades of experience in a week, he's clearly got the advantage. I'm the inferior Master, but when it comes to Servants... His Servant's class is...

It has to be Archer.

That day in the Arena, the Servant fired a poison arrow at me. That kind of precise marksmanship was enough to tell me the enemy's class is Archer. It's also clear that said shot severed some kind of bond between Master and Servant. Dan forbid his Servant to use his bow to fire poison arrows. That bow is his Noble Phantasm, called... The name of the Noble Phantasm that Dan forbid his Servant from using was...

Fragrant Bow.

...No, that's not right. I mean, that sounds like something they'd have at a spa. Think, think...

This is the first time a wrong answer has a humorous response.

It also has the wrong text color for the question. Remember, blue is always used for names.

Yew Bow.

The name of the Servant's unerring bow is the Yew Bow. After Archer wielded it in the prep period, Dan utilized a Command Seal to disable its further use. Telling him to fight fairly. Fighting face-to-face, with honor and pride. Seeing as how Archer fought so differently in life, of course he doesn't get his Master's values. The girl who helped me deduce that was the sky-gazing beauty from the third floor, Rani. With the remains of the Archer's arrow, she showed me the forest he held dear. The name of that forest was—

Sherwood Forest

Even with his true name, and taking into account the discord between Master and Servant, can I win? Our Servants are pretty evenly matched, so if I can step up my game as a Master...

We got a lot of info during the week, so the only new thing is his true name.

Character Background posted:

While the origins of the legends of the chivalrous thief who dwelt in the Sherwood Forest are a subject of constant and spirited debate, it is generally acknowledged that there was an actual person who held the name Robin Hood and that he died at the hands of his aunt, the prioress of Kirklees, who is believed to have bled him to death in the guise of administering aid for his wounds. However, many of the exploits attributed to him are a curious amalgamation of Celtic, Greek, and Druid mythologies.

One of the most persistent of the Robin Hood legends identifies him originally as a faceless hero who was born from the prayers of residents of the British Isles. Weary of the seemingly endless incursions and invasions of their country, they asked the heavens for someone to fight off the foreign invaders. A concurrent legend pegs Robin Hood as a representation of the "Green Man", a spirit of the woods who would carry out the actions and deeds that the common layperson could not. It was this belief that transformed the name into a title assumed by a number of nameless, faceless heroes who took up the mantle of protecting the people.

Those who assume the identity of Robin Hood tend to be very conflicted young men. Incredibly virtuous and honorable, yet always working out of the shadows like an assassin or thief, there seems to be a slight tinge of cowardice to their makeup. To cover the self-loathing that also seems to be part of every Robin Hood's personality, they all uniformly adopt a somewhat combative and derisive attitude. And though every person to adopt the Robin Hood persona truly values life above all else, they have little appreciation for their own.

Like the original Robin Hood, he is under the protection of the fairies and is well-versed in the archaic lore of the Druids. And like all "defenders of the forest" his knowledge of naturally occurring medicines and poisons is second to none.

And this is the Nasuverse justification for all the possible origins of the Robin Hood name over the centuries: all of them were Robin Hood, Dan just summoned a particularly notable one.

I cash in my last bit of SP for the week, netting Caster that last Curse skill and C rank Strength.

Curse: Chaos Heaven is the same as Fiery and Frigid, stunning against Guard, giving Caster the ability to shut down any enemy action with ease. It also has an inherent guard breaking property, making it the best choice for brute forcing a turn, as it will deal full damage no matter what it goes against.

Future Bisby here, turns out that Chaos Heaven has both lower base damage and a chance to whiff the stun, making it worse for brute forcing compared to the other two Curses.

Alright, time to get to work.

Video: Week 2 Elimination Battle

Remember, the only way to leave the Coliseum is to win. If you are ready, I will open the gate.

Enter the Coliseum

The way to the Coliseum is now open, young Master. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will return. Remember: It's kill or be killed.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

It must be too much effort for the grizzled old thing to talk! But I'm bored. Hey Servant, say something.

Huh? What's the point of talking to someone who's about to jump into their grave?

The guy doesn't even fart without a purpose. I've given up trying to make small talk with him. Hey, enemy Master. Why don't YOU try talking to Grumplestiltskin over here?

Ask him why he fights.

A soldier does not need—no, cannot have—a reason to fight. That is how things were when I was a soldier. ...Though my life has changed much since that time, I've never needed a "why."

~

Meet his gaze.

Young one, if there is something troubling you, speak your mind. The gap in our ages is too great for deep thoughts to cross, but you may try.

~

Um... Got any hobbies...?

...Hmm. Never has anyone, much less an opponent, asked me that question on a battlefield. Hobbies... Let's see... My wife is fond of gardening. I had a small, beautiful garden. There is your answer.

~~

He's got nothing on my Master! The old guy is...well, he's decent, but his Servant is plain rotten! He's just a mean-spirited little underling who totally does not deserve to look so hot! You call yourself a Heroic Spirit? Why don't you switch positions with your Master?!

I wish! My Master's so straitlaced that an atypical Heroic Spirit like me gets tied up in knots. I'll let you in on a little secret— not all of us Heroic Spirits were noble in life. That would be boring. Oh, and on that note, careful you don't get nailed from behind AGAIN.

You know, only wretched people think the people around them are wretched. And really, from behind...? That's the position pathetic cowards and hopeless weaklings attack from. Lucky for you my kindhearted Master would never exploit your weak spots with my subterfuge skills! ...Oops, it's a secret that I'm actually better at sneaky stuff.

How far is too far? No foul play? No dirty tricks?

No, I don't.

~

It depends.

That's the spirit. A clever person can turn anything into a weapon. This is gonna be a good fight!

~~

Don't get carried away, Archer.

You call that getting carried away, Master?

...Hmph. You're plundering our enemies for entertainment right before the battle. ...Yes, that is excessive.

Ding! Correct! If you don't like it, then go put on a helmet to match that armor and drown out the sound. But, I WANT to talk to our enemies. Why don't you listen in? Learn what kids these days are into. Cuz if you got any more ancient, they'd have to put you in a museum.

:iceburn:

Haha! You have no idea how to have fun! With all this killing, killing, killing, a guy's gotta unwind. A bowstring that's wound too tight snaps. Isn't that right?

I don't know.

~

I have nothing against having fun.

Right? Life's hella hard, and then you die. If you don't enjoy yourself then you'll just die miserable.

~~

...Will you never gain the proper attitude to fight?

Lighten up, Master! Things would be so much easier for us if you just accepted life has funny parts. I'd go Wh-tsh! on that undefended back of yours. That's how an archer should fight. I have to be nimble on my feet—chivalry and ideology are all stiff and would just slow me down.

Argh, that's my Master for you. He can't keep his chivalry in his pants even with a kid like you around.

Down we go.

Five more trips down this elevator, five more lives to sacrifice to the Holy Grail, and we'll finally be free.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Today's battlefield is the big circular area we saw in the Arena.

You said it, Master! So run back to your hole, fox monster.

It's already been decided that my gorgeous Master will win the war. And I'll be the heroine!

You, the heroine? What kind of lame story is that? Daydream all you want, but in the real world, the strongest wins.

...Let's begin!

Ha! Unfortunately, I'm only human. I'd rather be paid in gold coins.

Don't get careless. The enemy appears to be skilled with poison as well, Archer.

The main thing to note about Robin's combat style is that he likes to open up with a Guard. Not always, mind you, but this means that our new Curse will be very handy here.

Don't get cocky. Keep your finger on the trigger until the very end.

Even without looking at The List, I feel confident that he'll get stunned out of that skill.

Lovely.

Dan steps in next round.

But we've already seen this.

That's two skills Robin's been stunned out of.

We're already about halfway there!

You're looking worse for the wear, Archer.

Although Robin gives as good as he gets.

That's with me focusing on Strength and Defense, mind you. If I went all in on Magic, he'd be dealing more to me and taking less, on top of his massive health pool.

The unreliable stun chance on Chaos Heaven bites me for the first time.

Fortunately, his Poisoned Arrow fails to poison me in return.

Unfortunately, getting poisoned is his NP requirement.

So we'll take a quick jump into the Non-Canon Zone to let him show off.

The moment the poison sticks, his NP icon lights up.

And the poison itself takes a good sized bite out of me as well.

It's time. Shoot them down with your magic shot.

You might have noticed that Yew Bow didn't actually deal damage. Instead, Robin now has a shiny tree icon on his side of the screen.

The blue text on top of the main name is part of the Perfect Patch, by the way. In the original release you would only see Holy Bow of Supplication.

That's because Yew Bow instead applies an effect that boosts poison by around 100 damage.

You might have also noticed that Robin's NP icon is still lit.

Unlike Drake, who could only use her NP once, Robin can spam his as long as you stay poisoned.

And he'll happily use it every turn.

With every use, the poison damage gets higher and higher. It still can't actually kill you, same as his poison in the field, but at 1 HP even the chip damage from Guarding will be lethal.

The poisoning will continue until morale improves.

The catch is that there's an easy way to deal with it.

Just cure the poison. It really is that simple.

If you cure it, Yew Bow doesn't give Robin the symbol, as there's no poison to boost.

Calm yourself, Archer. The fight is just beginning.

He'll then go back to his normal patterns, but he'll instantly get back to spamming Yew Bow if Poisoned Arrow procs again.

He also has a buff skill called Faceless King, but I couldn't get him to use it once over half an hour of savestates and resets.

Which is just fine for me, as Faceless King lets him win all clashes for a single round. You counter his Break with your Attack? Eat poo poo, he hits you anyways.

Back to the actual fight, Robin is having a bad time.

A really bad time.

I toy with him on the final turn.

He finally manages to get the poison to stick.

Too little, too late, I'm afraid.

Music: Stops

Caster you are using a mirror how do you impale someone on a mirror?

Dan Blackmore looks dazed. He's staring at Caster as if my Servant is some divine being.

My Master has more ability and more determination than you. So how—?

The barrier comes up.

Music: Game Over

And they start to fade.

It seems having a reason to fight is not the same as truly believing in that reason. I never doubted my desire to be a warrior, but...that life has given me regrets. I wanted the Holy Grail to bring back my late wife— What a silly delusion.

Only at the very end did I dare to have my own goals, and decide to abandon military life. I can't believe I was trying to fight as just a man— It was foolish of me to pit my pride as a knight against my feelings as a person... ...So foolish... I just wanted to get back what I had lost, before the end. But— I wonder which one I wished for? My late wife...or the person I was before I became a soldier...

The elderly knight falls into silence. Both he and his Servant start to disintegrate.

Even though you can't describe what it is yet, there must be something that gives you a purpose.

Though your trials are many, keep living, young one. Your struggles will steel your determination.

Because, for the first time, I am the ground from which a youth with a bright future might grow.

His final smile was beaming. Dan Blackmore's face was no longer stern, but kind and grandfatherly.

You needed someone better than a charlatan like me. ...I'm so sorry. Another Servant wouldn't have failed you like this.

No, I'm the one to blame, Archer. Restricting your actions was selfish and damaging to your dignity.

...Bit late for that now, Master. You have no idea the torment you've been putting me through. Why are you apologizing anyway? You're making me sound like a moron here. And why do you care about me? Whether we win or lose, I still vanish at the end.

Gotta tell you, it's been rather boring to fight for you, Master.

Boring as it's been, playing knight was a healthy thing for me to try, you know? ...Well, although I was never given a chance, I've always wanted to try being a badass knight.

Masters tend to summon Servants with a high compatibility with themselves. They may have argued constantly, but a Master like Dan was just what Robin needed.

Dan's Archer looks down as if in embarrassment. He mumbles under his breath, as if he doesn't want us to hear.

...So, really. Don't apologize. We had a good run, and there's nothing to feel ashamed about. ...Jeez, I didn't even think I'd be able to pull off a single battle in this stupid tournament. In life, I had everything I wanted. Wealth, fame, friendship, success. But... A fair fight was the one thing I never had. So, it's okay. ...I finally did something I was never able to do.

Farewell, Robin Hood.

Like he said, it was the end. Moments later, he vanished. He looked at peace. He lived his life in the shadows, protecting his village without acknowledgment. In his final moments, it seemed that he had found a way to get beyond the bitterness he felt.

From here on out, no matter what enemy you may encounter or who you may have to defeat... Feel it. Think about it. Process it. Accept your doubts, but don't be crippled by them. Above all, accept the consequences of your actions, and turn all you learn and feel into strength. If you wait until the end to think, you'll end up with regrets. ...And, if possible, I'd like you to get meaning from your battles.

It's your responsibility to have the answers when you survive this war.

Farewell, Dan Blackmore.

Next time: The aftermath.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 13, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXI.I - Fall down, your mind

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Alright, ladies, gents, and everything in between, time for a rousing game of:

Fox hunting!

Two hits.

Three hits.

Four hits

An (un)lucky guard keeps Caster alive a bit longer.

But the next does the trick.

Music: Game Over

No, it's like my very life force is leaking out.

Hakuno says the same thing as last week.

If you have any final words, I will hear them out.

Why would I have anything to say, anyway? I have no memory or purpose. I've killed the only friend I knew. How can one lament an empty life?

...Now, it is time to face the next battle.

They walk off.

So says a voice...from far away... My frail, collapsing brain struggles to cling to that voice. The next moment, everything goes black—

And we fade away.

How come all the enemy teams get touching sendoffs, while Hakuno and Caster just instantly die?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Information Matrix: Archer (True Name Revealed)

Yew Bow: Holy Bow of Supplication posted:

The wood used to make the yew bow wielded by this Servant was taken from a specific tree located in the forest he used as his base of operations. It has the power to identify and amplify any impurities (both physical and mental), causing them to explode with incredible force.

Yew trees have many mystical and religious connotations attributed to them by Celtic beliefs, and the act of making a bow from the wood of a yew was seen a contract to "become one with the forest." It was also believed the yew trees served as signpost for the deceased to guide them to the afterlife. It was this connection between the yew and death that caused this Servant to remark that he wanted to be buried where his final arrow fell. To nobody's surprise, it landed at the foot of the yew tree where he first got the wood to make his bow.

Sherwood Forest posted:

In the distant past, it was the forest said to be the place where a famous chivalrous thief fought against the tyranny of John, Richard the Lionheart's younger brother and ruler in absentia while Richard was away on the Crusades. It is also a forest that, according to Druid beliefs, is where the fairies dwell.

Faceless King posted:

A king without form who, according to Celtic tradition, appears in the May Day festival that follows the Festival of Beltane. He is also seen as a personification of nature who used copious amounts of green and brown in his clothing in order to completely blend in with his surroundings.

Anti-Magic (D) posted:

Cancels single-action spells. It also bestows magical resistance equal to that normally provided by a physical talisman such as an amulet.

Independence (A) posted:

This ability allows him to remain independent by rejecting any kind of support from his Master. When this skill reaches rank A, he can remain in the world for a a full week, even if his Master were to be defeated.

Subversion (A) posted:

This skill allows one to seriously reduce their enemy's might before facing them in battle. It is an ability used by those who've mastered the art of setting traps. Upon achieving an A rank in this skill, one can disable almost 60% of their enemy's forces before they get the chance to advance. However, the higher the ranking of this skill, the lower one's reputation as a hero becomes.

Character Background posted:

While the origins of the legends of the chivalrous thief who dwelt in the Sherwood Forest are a subject of constant and spirited debate, it is generally acknowledged that there was an actual person who held the name Robin Hood and that he died at the hands of his aunt, the prioress of Kirklees, who is believed to have bled him to death in the guise of administering aid for his wounds. However, many of the exploits attributed to him are a curious amalgamation of Celtic, Greek, and Druid mythologies.

One of the most persistent of the Robin Hood legends identifies him originally as a faceless hero who was born from the prayers of residents of the British Isles. Weary of the seemingly endless incursions and invasions of their country, they asked the heavens for someone to fight off the foreign invaders. A concurrent legend pegs Robin Hood as a representation of the "Green Man", a spirit of the woods who would carry out the actions and deeds that the common layperson could not. It was this belief that transformed the name into a title assumed by a number of nameless, faceless heroes who took up the mantle of protecting the people.

Those who assume the identity of Robin Hood tend to be very conflicted young men. Incredibly virtuous and honorable, yet always working out of the shadows like an assassin or thief, there seems to be a slight tinge of cowardice to their makeup. To cover the self-loathing that also seems to be part of every Robin Hood's personality, they all uniformly adopt a somewhat combative and derisive attitude. And though every person to adopt the Robin Hood persona truly values life above all else, they have little appreciation for their own.

Like the original Robin Hood, he is under the protection of the fairies and is well-versed in the archaic lore of the Druids. And like all "defenders of the forest" his knowledge of naturally occurring medicines and poisons is second to none.

Robin Hood posted:

Just one of the many young men to take up the title, this particular incarnation was a virtual outcast, living on the fringes of the village located near the spot where his parents had died. Almost against his will, he was caught up in a battle to repel and attack by a nearby lord's army and successful led those who fought by his side to victory. As he never identified himself during the course of the fight, he was referred to as the mythical "Green Man" by the villagers he had helped save.

The only child of a wandering Druid, he was orphaned at a very young age when both of his parents died suddenly. As the son of a Druid, he instinctively knew how to survive in the forest and was able to comnunicate with the spirits known as fairies. It was this ability that made him an outcast in his village, as the villagers were suspicious of his powers and accused him of being possessed. Although the villagers held no love for him, nor he for them, he felt obligated to help them in any way he could.

With his successes against the tyranny of the local lords to spur him on and the hopes and wishes of the villagers pinned to his deeds, he took up the bow and mantle and became the latest incarnation of Robin Hood. And like those who came before him, he dressed in clothes of Lincoln green, armed himself with a bow of yew, and surrendered his identity and true self for the good of others.

However, no good deed goes unpunished, and the villagers quickly turned on him in hopes of channeling the anger of the local nobility away from themselves and on to this mysterious rogue who rampaged through the forest, claiming that they had no knowledge of who he was nor did they ever claim to be thankful for his help in preserving the village. Even though the people he vowed to help turned on him, he continued to protect and assist them from the shadows. With every poisoning, every ambush, his reputation as a coward and criminal grew, despite his honorable intentions.

After two years of almost constant fighting, he was eventually betrayed and assassinated by one of the local lords whose ire he had raised. It was this young man, who fought so that others could lead the quiet life he dreamed of, that joined the ranks of Heroic Spirits found worthy to fight in the Holy Grail Wars.

Battle lines

Battle start

Right, guess we can get this show on the road.

Commence battle.

~~

Command select

Ha! This'll be a cinch, Master!

Don't get cocky. Keep your finger on the trigger until the very end. (High health)

~

Let's carefully finish this up. (High health)

~

How pitiful… They're wide open. (High health)

~

Hmm, maybe this'll be a good match after all.

You're looking worse for the wear, Archer. (Low health)

~

Ahh, this isn't working out. (Low health)

~

Are we trapped fighting on the beach? (Low health)

~

Master!

It's time. Shoot them down with your magic shot. (NP ready)

~

You bastard, you survived my trap!

Calm yourself, Archer. The fight is just beginning. (NP survived)

~~

Round start

Leave it to me, master!

~~

Normal attacks

Take that! (Attack)

~

Too obvious! (Guard)

Payback! (Guard)

~

You're too slow! (Extra turn)

~

Well done!

Nothing personal. (Extra attack)

~

That really helped! (Buffed)

~~

Hit reactions

poo poo! (Damaged)

~

Bastard... You've got good instincts.

Get back up, Archer. (Enemy Extra attack)

~

Ugh. They can completely read us, Master.

Do they have us figured out...!? (Consecutive enemy Extra attack)

~

Sorry... Master... (Defeated)

~~

Skills

Living things will die with just this much. (Poisoned Arrow)

~

Here it comes, don't die! (Wall of Thorns)

~

Goddess of the forest, become one with my poison against the tyrants. (Yew Bow)

~

Let my grave be where this arrow falls. (Yew Bow)

~

I'll give you firepower. (gain_str(16))

~

This'll be a long battle. (add_regen(8))

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 16, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I had forgotten the sheer amount of concentrated vitriol between Casko and Robin, she's WAY loving chill in Grand Order.

To be fair GO is "after"* EXTELLA, which ends with Hime married to Umu and Mikon (nobody is really clear on how that can even work considering the personalities but Hakunon be Hakunon) so as I said getting a loving husband that unconditionally accepts her must have done wonders to Caster.

*in theory each new incarnation of a Servant should be reset to factory defaults without remembering past summons and games. In practice no writer cares.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 16, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'm really surprised you pushed Str to C and are still neglecting Mag.

I've also never seen Faceless King used across three runs. Apparently it's on a timer, now that I'm looking it up?

Omobono posted:

I had forgotten the sheer amount of concentrated vitriol between Casko and Robin, she's WAY loving chill in Grand Order.

To be fair GO is "after"* EXTELLA, which ends with Hime married to Umu and Mikon (nobody is really clear on how that can even work considering the personalities but Hakunon be Hakunon) so as I said getting a loving husband that unconditionally accepts her must have done wonders to Caster.

*in theory each new incarnation of a Servant should be reset to factory defaults without remembering past summons and games. In practice no writer cares.

There's actually an answer to that but it's pretty late-game spoilers, I think. On multiple fronts.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

In other words, you have to stall to see Faceless King activate - something Caster is exceptionally bad at doing.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cyouni posted:

I'm really surprised you pushed Str to C and are still neglecting Mag.

Footage-wise, I already have all of week 3 done.

I have yet to put a single point into Magic.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

This Caster is clearly a muscle wizard

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXII - Light-hearted promise

The worst part about being young is having old people lecture you! Who needs to hear lectures about motives or being prepared? The only person who gets to decide about having a motive is you. Maybe you have a noble cause and maybe you don't. Actually, it is more freeing to have none at all!

Although Caster may not like it, I think it's a good idea to have goals and be prepared. To crush another person's motive, dreams and life is what it means to take part in this war. To kill those who don't want to be killed.

Hey, Master, you listened to what that old guy had to say. I have no idea what he was saying. Did you learn anything?

Caster always gets... weird whenever we start thinking about how we killed a man.

Did I learn anything from my fight with Dan?

I don't know.

Each one gives the same result.

You and I think alike, Master. We won't have any trouble with the next battle at this rate!

The next battle... Right, there's a third round, and then a fourth, and so on. I'm still kind of lost. But if that's the path before me, then I owe it to the lives lost so far to keep fighting. Right or wrong, that's one way to think about things.

Music: School III

The rest of Robin's Info Matrix has filled out.

Faceless King posted:

A king without form who, according to Celtic tradition, appears in the May Day festival that follows the Festival of Beltane. He is also seen as a personification of nature who used copious amounts of green and brown in his clothing in order to completely blend in with his surroundings.

Subversion (A) posted:

This skill allows one to seriously reduce their enemy's might before facing them in battle. It is an ability used by those who've mastered the art of setting traps. Upon achieving an A rank in this skill, one can disable almost 60% of their enemy's forces before they get the chance to advance. However, the higher the ranking of this skill, the lower one's reputation as a hero becomes.

Robin Hood posted:

Just one of the many young men to take up the title, this particular incarnation was a virtual outcast, living on the fringes of the village located near the spot where his parents had died. Almost against his will, he was caught up in a battle to repel and attack by a nearby lord's army and successful led those who fought by his side to victory. As he never identified himself during the course of the fight, he was referred to as the mythical "Green Man" by the villagers he had helped save.

The only child of a wandering Druid, he was orphaned at a very young age when both of his parents died suddenly. As the son of a Druid, he instinctively knew how to survive in the forest and was able to comnunicate with the spirits known as fairies. It was this ability that made him an outcast in his village, as the villagers were suspicious of his powers and accused him of being possessed. Although the villagers held no love for him, nor he for them, he felt obligated to help them in any way he could.

With his successes against the tyranny of the local lords to spur him on and the hopes and wishes of the villagers pinned to his deeds, he took up the bow and mantle and became the latest incarnation of Robin Hood. And like those who came before him, he dressed in clothes of Lincoln green, armed himself with a bow of yew, and surrendered his identity and true self for the good of others.

However, no good deed goes unpunished, and the villagers quickly turned on him in hopes of channeling the anger of the local nobility away from themselves and on to this mysterious rogue who rampaged through the forest, claiming that they had no knowledge of who he was nor did they ever claim to be thankful for his help in preserving the village. Even though the people he vowed to help turned on him, he continued to protect and assist them from the shadows. With every poisoning, every ambush, his reputation as a coward and criminal grew, despite his honorable intentions.

After two years of almost constant fighting, he was eventually betrayed and assassinated by one of the local lords whose ire he had raised. It was this young man, who fought so that others could lead the quiet life he dreamed of, that joined the ranks of Heroic Spirits found worthy to fight in the Holy Grail Wars.

You may have noticed that the timer hasn't reset to 6 days yet.

Occasionally, we'll have a small interlude between weeks. Week 3 will officially begin after we find a cutscene trigger and the interlude ends.

Ah gently caress, Kuzuki is at it again.

Music: Breach

We got hit so hard we ended up all the way back in the tutorial zone!

Where am I...? Instead of colliding with a wall, I suddenly find myself in unfamiliar surroundings. My head's spinning trying to keep up, but it seems like I was somehow teleported elsewhere. Wait, I'm getting deja vu. This is the Coliseum that was used twice— The details are different, but the framework is the same. If this really is the Coliseum, there must be an enemy nearby. My thoughts freeze and my breath hitches when I realize this.

Someone else is here.

When I look around, I see a sinister man with piercing eyes who's wearing clothing that looks aflame. I go numb with fear. He intends to kill me, that much is unmistakable.

He's like Death personified. I've only heard of Assassins, but I have no doubt he is one. If I take my eyes off him for one second, I'm a goner-!

I've grown tired of strangling cormorants. For once, I wanted to feel what I was doing...

Caster with the save!

What a shame, we've run out of time. The system's limits saved your life.

Of course Kuzuki was the one to pull an Assassin.

Without a sound, the black-clad teacher appears just a few meters in front of me. Sinister eyes from under a mop of black hair direct a piercing gaze my way.

Either way, you managed to survive the Demon's Fist.

The man's aura changes. It sharpens, honing into a point as if it were a wicked blade. One directed straight at me.

It's ideal to dispatch you here.

He's looking at my neck. A bead of sweat drips off my chin. He takes a step toward me—

Music: Stops

The girl in red clothes appeared out of a classroom where none should have been.

Rin with the save!

Music: Duel of Fate

My reputation precedes me. I see the intelligence network of the Harway Foundation has been busy. Although I'm pretty hard to miss. You tell me, Julius Berkisk Harway. Since you're from the foundation's counter-terrorism unit.

And we finally have his actual name!

Kuzuki answers to the name of Julius and smiles thinly.

How absurd. They've got nothing to do with this. In fact, why haven't you killed them yet?

—I'll be laughing when you end up stabbed in the back, terrorist.

A cruel smile plays over his lips as he continues walking toward the end of the hallway. He sends a cold glance my way.

...I shall remember this.

His predatory pupils still trained on me, the man disappears into the wall as if melting away.

With an unscrupulous enemy like that, I better be on my guard at all times in the school.

The girl starts talking to herself after the man has faded away. Then she turns toward me. She has a cold look in her eyes... not all that different from the look in that Julius' eyes.

You're my enemy, too. It's not like I care if you died now. ...I'm impressed you made it past the second round. I didn't think you had it in you. I mean, you've kind of had a rough time of it. That's why I—

Rin will be Rin, no matter what timeline she's in.

Be careful not to lose the life that just got saved for you in the third round!

And a second voiced speech in the same update!

Music: School IV
Sound: Phone ringing

Time to go meet our next opponent.

Oh no.

My next opponent is dramatically younger than the one before. She can't be more than ten years old.

Not really, actually. Newshound was the one to talk to you during the prelims. Hakuno has had all of one day to say hi to you, and that was easily missable.

Alice thinks you and I can be friends, lady. Finally Alice will have a friend of her own.

That's why when you left, lady, I was so sad and lonely.

...eh?

What???

This is going to be one of those weeks, isn't it?

But you are my next playmate, so I guess I'll have to play with you.

She's like a doll only seen in a dream. I don't feel threatened like I did with Dan Blackmore.

Don't let her looks fool you. She's already killed two Masters so DO NOT let your guard down.

That's right. Only the strong survive here. It's possible that she's much stronger than Dan was. But the question remains: Can I fight without holding back? My opponents up until now had an aura of power. It was easy to see them as worthy foes. ...But things are different now. Can I do to this little girl what I did to the others? I know that if I don't, I'm as good as dead, but still...

Sound: Phone ringing

Regardless of who my opponent is, time in the SE.RA.PH passes at the same measured pace for all. The message I received informs me I'll be erased if I fail to find my Triggers and gather info on my foe. I shake off the effects of the girl's stare on my state of mind and try to focus on gathering information. I should talk to a few people first, but those acquaintances I've made are probably of dubious reliability.

Alice's Matrix page has opened up, and I can already tell that this will be a confusing one to fill out.

I think I'm better prepared for the possibility that we might get paired now.

The other girl is gone... :ohdear:

~

Your attacks will be meaningless if your enemy sees them coming. I realized this during the second round.

A pity, that. The fact that this one hot guy I had my eye on got eliminated so quickly makes me a sad vixen.

And the less said about those who are still around, the better. As the old saying goes, "Ill weeds grow apace."

Well, no matter whom they may be, they're no match for us! There is no way that we can possibly lose to Masters and Servants whose relationships aren't based on love! Master, I will protect you with my awesome powers of heroine-ism! Bet on it!

I might have to re-categorize you.

I guess I'll have to consider you a serious threat now.

~

I've seen that girl in the frills trouncing about since prelims. It's hard to believe she's a Master. On top of everything else, turns out she's shy. She ran away when I tried to talk to her.

The serious guy is gone... :ohdear:

Sorry I haven't introduced myself. I'm Arina Savoy, the manager NPC of the Arena. But do not become complacent, lest you be denied glory when next you fight.

~

It's the third round already, so you should already be aware that information is key to winning. I mean, sure, you can muscle your way to victory, but why risk it? Our lives depend on these fights, so don't you think we should all adopt the surefire approach?

May the Holy Grail continue to illuminate your path. Oh, my name is Sharon Tips... And I'd like to strangle whoever gave me that oh-so-clever name.

Don't let up now. The next fight has already begun. You should head to the Arena immediately.

The stars must be whispering their blessings to you.

A cutscene starts when we go talk to Rin.

Lucky or not, you've managed to keep winning. I guess I'll have to start taking you seriously.

...Even after that backhanded compliment, Rin continues talking, albeit in a much friendlier tone. I'm not sure if it's because she finally sees me as a worthy adversary, but she seems...nice. It's like her thought patterns are infinitely different from normal girls.

Is that little girl your next opponent? You keep getting the problematic Masters, don't you?

It's not like I got a choice.

Yeah, but having Matou, Blackmore, and now this Alice creature all in a row...? Honestly, your luck well and truly...sucks.

~

Better her than you.

Why do people dislike me so...? Well, were we to face each other it'd be an easy victory for me.

If the time ever comes where we have to fight, don't expect me to hold back.

~~

As this is the third round, I hope you've learned by now not to judge your enemy by their appearance.

I don't plan on letting my guard down now. Both Dan and Shinji were far more capable than me. —And now my current opponent. I didn't need Rin to tell me how difficult this fight will be. When the time comes, will I be able to kill this little girl?

We get a quick scene on 1F.

The little girl in front of me is supposed to be my enemy, but her innocent smile holds no malice. Though I can't shake the feeling that her naivete is a ruse, I find myself lowering my defenses.

I flat out can't refuse Alice.

There's no way this can backfire.

Sure, why not?

She is me, and I am her! We are ourselves! Let's start now! Tag, you're it! Alice will be waiting for you in the Arena. Hurry up and come get me!

I said I'd play with her, so I should probably go to the Arena and chase her down.

It seems like Caster really wants to play. If we can learn more about Alice, I'll play along, too. Whatever the case, we should go chase down Alice.

Yes ma'am.

Very good. I will now brief you on your upcoming mission. I have received word that a student has smuggled an illicit magazine onto school grounds. Your responsibility is to track down this miscreant and take possession of said magazine. This mission will be valid for three days. On the fourth day, I expect a full report. Dismissed!

Said miscreant is just outside.

Well, I'll do it, but only under one condition. My Servant wants a large cauldron. Bring me one and I guess I'll part with my beloved comic book.

In an absolutely phenominal move, this sidequest isn't just a simple fetch quest, it's a chain of deals that's also a fetch quest!

You got three guesses where this cauldron is, and the first two don't count.

I was hoping to challenge him with my archery someday.

It might only be sentimentality on my part, but by doing so it'll allow me to keep moving forward.

The third round awaits, as do the Masters strong enough to survive the preceding round. Be sure to buy everything you'll think you'll need for the trials coming in the week ahead.

~

Well, the thing is... Humans get hungry just by...you know...being. That dull ache of hunger in your belly lets you know you're alive! That's why I let gluttony be my guide. Because that's what it means to be human.

The new item for this week is the Ether Fragment. 1500 is a bit steep, but it heals for 500 HP a pop.

On the Mystic Code side of things, the Silver Earrings finally give us a worthwhile buff skill. The Old Rusty Sword trades the Magic buff for a Strength buff.

While the Mermaid Robe has the next tier of heal.

I buy the Sword for now.

It's obvious that only the strongest Masters have made it this far... Which makes you reasonably strong...I guess?

It's not like I wanted to, you know? It was either him or me, and I didn't want to die. So, who's the next to die? I can kill anyone now...

:ohdear:

Let's... uh... go play with Alice. Get our minds off things.

Next time: Tag, hidden paths, and new friends.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 13, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's always one of those weeks here.

IIRC blue text Alice refers to the master while red text to the servant.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

A Master named Alice.... with a Servant named Alice.... oh this is gonna get weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hakuno's intelligence is confusing at times. She was utterly unable to realize Robin Hood was an archer despite seeing him with a bow and arrow, but here she can tell Mr. Flame Clothes is an Assassin because...he looks threatening?

Also Kuzuki was not Kuzuki at all, unsurprisingly considering he doesn't look even remotely like the original Kuzuki even if both are/were assassins.

And we have Alice and Alice. Is this a Shirou situation and she managed to summon herself from the future as a Servant? I feel there's more going on...she looks weirdly doll-like to begin with.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hakuno's intelligence is confusing at times. She was utterly unable to realize Robin Hood was an archer despite seeing him with a bow and arrow, but here she can tell Mr. Flame Clothes is an Assassin because...he looks threatening?

If there's one universal constant to Assassins, it's that they're either completely unassuming or they make it utterly clear in seconds. There is zero middle ground.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Kuzuki was not Kuzuki at all, unsurprisingly considering he doesn't look even remotely like the original Kuzuki even if both are/were assassins.

And we have Alice and Alice. Is this a Shirou situation and she managed to summon herself from the future as a Servant? I feel there's more going on...she looks weirdly doll-like to begin with.

Given how often games love referencing it, my guess is Alice summoned a heroic spirit based off "Alice in Wonderland" (and hey, Caster immediately made a mad tea party reference).

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ZCKaiser posted:

Given how often games love referencing it, my guess is Alice summoned a heroic spirit based off "Alice in Wonderland" (and hey, Caster immediately made a mad tea party reference).

Same, when I first played this game back when it was new. My immediate next thought was "and since it's this series, I bet the last two people thought that too."

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

She really just determined he's an Assassin off the fact that she was about to be assassinated.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Cyouni posted:

She really just determined he's an Assassin off the fact that she was about to be assassinated.

But Robin tried to assassinate her multiple times and she determined that he was an Archer, so...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Little trivia about our new red Assassin friend acquaintance murderous stalker.
While there are two versions of him in GO, neither of those is this one in Extra (and Extella I think).

Materant posted:

If there's one universal constant to Assassins, it's that they're either completely unassuming or they make it utterly clear in seconds. There is zero middle ground.

You forgot Gramps.
Making it clear in seconds is the middle-ground compared to Gramps.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think it's less 'he looks threatening' and more 'I can literally feel the killing intent coming off of him'. Which makes sense- most Heroic Spirits have killed people, but only Assassins are specifically known for killing people. It's a fair assumption to make.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Hime also being surrounded by the corpses of masters probably also clued her into the fact this was an assassin. Caster did give her a quick rundown of the classes.

Also on the Robin thing, they immediately pegged him as an archer, they just didn't know which archer.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Snipers/marksmen are one of those edge cases where they can probably be classified as either Assassin or Archer and can fill either class container, or might steal some class skills from the other class (An Assassin with Independant Action, or an Archer with Presence Concealment)

Archer is probably Robin's good class but he can probably also be called as an Assassin.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I haven't played GO so I don't know if he's ever shown up, but I imagine Lu Bu could be summoned as any of Lancer, Rider, Archer or Assassin (as he was known for his martial prowess, horseback archery, having, like, the best horse, and also murdering his masters repeatedly). I can only imagine the confusion of finding out the guy who just shot you with a bow from horseback is actually a Lancer.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Crasical posted:

Snipers/marksmen are one of those edge cases where they can probably be classified as either Assassin or Archer and can fill either class container, or might steal some class skills from the other class (An Assassin with Independant Action, or an Archer with Presence Concealment)

Archer is probably Robin's good class but he can probably also be called as an Assassin.

there is actually a pseudo-class meant for firearm users, which is a natural evolution of archer, it's called "Gunner." And Billy The Kid qualifies for it. Also, despite how F/GO does it, most class skills are class exclusive unless there's a special circumstances.

ZCKaiser posted:

I haven't played GO so I don't know if he's ever shown up, but I imagine Lu Bu could be summoned as any of Lancer, Rider, Archer or Assassin (as he was known for his martial prowess, horseback archery, having, like, the best horse, and also murdering his masters repeatedly). I can only imagine the confusion of finding out the guy who just shot you with a bow from horseback is actually a Lancer.

Lu Bu was a launch servant in F/GO, but we can't talk about him. Not yet anyway.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZCKaiser posted:

One good example: Heracles. He qualifies for everything except Caster, as I recall. That said, every variation has a different focus, so they're still quite identifiable as their class.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

ZCKaiser posted:

One problem is that a Servant can be limited by the class they are in with regards as to what they can use from life. King Arthur can be summoned as a Saber or Lancer but she ain't gonna be swinging Excalibur around as a Lancer. Diarmuid Ua Duibhne dual-wielded a sword and spear in battle and had another sword and spear for less dangerous times. As a Lancer, he uses both spears instead and both swords as a Saber.

Draga fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2021

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Draga posted:

One problem is that a Servant can be limited by the class they are in with regards as to what they can use from life. King Arthur can be summoned as a Saber or Lancer but she ain't gonna be swinging Excalibur around as a Lancer. Diarmuid Ua Duibhne dual-wielded a sword and spear in battle and had another sword and spear for less dangerous times. As a Lancer, he uses both spears instead and both swords as a Saber.

In fact, there's one Servant who seems custom-made to point out the limitations of the summoning system: Diarmuid. His legends state that he owned a pair of cursed spears and a pair of cursed sword, and depending on the adventure he was going on, he would either take his stronger spear and his stronger sword or his weaker spear and his weaker sword. But because of how the summoning system works, you can only summon him as a Lancer dual-wielding his spears or as a Saber dual-wielding his sword, no mixing and matching allowed.

EDIT: Beaten by the very post I was quoting.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Cyouni posted:

One good example: Heracles. He qualifies for everything except Caster, as I recall. That said, every variation has a different focus, so they're still quite identifiable as their class.

Knowing Grand Order, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Caster Heracles (with Medea on his shoulders, probably??) rather than any of his other likely variations such as the Archer featured in Fate/Strange Fake. Granted, FSF is its own...really, really weird setting in the Nasuverse.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Servants are at once greater and lesser than when they were alive.
The heroic spirit package is a strong template, granting them strong conceptual defenses and buffs. At the same time though, heroic spirits aren't really humans anymore; they're the "crystallization" of their legends and myths and they're far less capable of change as a result; in addition, this can cause weird things to happen:
Example 1, Vlad Tepes can be summoned as Dracula the vampire despite the fact he never was a vampire, even in the Nasuverse;
Example 2, Antonio Salieri in GO is torn between the knowledge he did NOT murder Mozart and like half of humanity believing he did, and thus Mozart's murder is part of his myth and thus of him.

And that's for heroic spirits, Servants are mutilated* copies shoved inside ill fitting standardized containers (the classes) because actually resurrecting the dead is True Magic/Sorcery (depending on translation) so that's the best the Fuyuki Grail war creators could do; everyone else (including the Throne) is stealing that system for their own Murder Death Kills because it is proven to work and creating a different one is fukken hard.

*Berserker Herakles should be far more prone to fits of rage than usual, even before Berserker class' defining feature is accounted; Saber Herakles would have problems even thinking of using bows, despite the fact he was (also) a deadly archer in life etc. Etc.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 20, 2021

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Verant posted:

Knowing Grand Order, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Caster Heracles (with Medea on his shoulders, probably??) rather than any of his other likely variations such as the Archer featured in Fate/Strange Fake. Granted, FSF is its own...really, really weird setting in the Nasuverse.

If anything, despite him qualifying for everything but Caster, the Herakles variant we might eventually get is his Archer version, since most of the Trials that he's most famous for were completed with his long bow and Hydra poisoned arrows, since his only known offensive Noble Phantasm, "Nine Lives: The Shooting Hundred Heads" was a technique he developed with his bow first, then cross trained it for the other class weapons( as in he can use a Nine Lives variant with *any weapon he picks up*). also Fate/Strange Fake.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 20, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Fate/Strange Fake Herakles is complicated by the fact that Archer Herakles existed for like a minute before being corrupted into another servant using a different name and splitting the archer class with avenger.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Omobono posted:

Servants are at once greater and lesser than when they were alive.
The heroic spirit package is a strong template, granting them strong conceptual defenses and buffs. At the same time though, heroic spirits aren't really humans anymore; they're the "crystallization" of their legends and myths and they're far less capable of change as a result; in addition, this can cause weird things to happen:
Example 1, Vlad Tepes can be summoned as Dracula the vampire despite the fact he never was a vampire, even in the Nasuverse;
Example 2, Antonio Salieri in GO is torn between the knowledge he did NOT murder Mozart and like half of humanity believing he did, and thus Mozart's murder is part of his myth and thus of him.

And that's for heroic spirits, Servants are mutilated* copies shoved inside ill fitting standardized containers (the classes) because actually resurrecting the dead is True Magic/Sorcery (depending on translation) so that's the best the Fuyuki Grail war creators could do; everyone else (including the Throne) is stealing that system for their own Murder Death Kills because it is proven to work and creating a different one is fukken hard.

*Berserker Herakles should be far more prone to fits of rage than usual, even before Berserker class' defining feature is accounted; Saber Herakles would have problems even thinking of using bows, despite the fact he was (also) a deadly archer in life etc. Etc.

It's kind of funny to think of how scary some of them must have been in real life. Like FSN Saber would have been incredibly ridiculous between having a dragon core that gave near limitless mana, all the tools/NP she wasn't able to get under the Saber class, being able to use magic etc etc. On top of how ridiculous the KotR were. It's kind of hilarious that she actually had any enemies at all, or that she spent all that power just in the britains.

But yeah, the actual Heroic Spirits are the accumulation of all fact/legend and powers they had in life or in legend. And when summoned it basically takes a mold and put it over the servant, which mostly cuts away excess stuff that doesn't fit in the servant class mold but can also give them some new appropriate powers to fit in other places.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Zeron posted:

but can also give them some new appropriate powers to fit in other places.

See Medusa's sisters who iirc are actually super weak but ended up getting a buff from becoming servants.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Marluxia posted:

See Medusa's sisters who iirc are actually super weak but ended up getting a buff from becoming servants.

They were still massively nerfed, since they died still as physical goddesses. which should have prevented them being summoned at all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As goddesses they had literally zero combat capability. Putting them in servant containers made them actually able to fight things and not just charm people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
For example Euryale is an Archer and uses a bow despite never touching a bow in her life. She is extremely confused about it.