Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just curious, in Heavensward, when do we normally get gear that’s stronger than the Augmented Ironworks Gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The man called M posted:

Just curious, in Heavensward, when do we normally get gear that’s stronger than the Augmented Ironworks Gear?

Vault-ish

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Level ~56.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah all the tomestome gear becomes out ilvl’d around lv X6 of the next expansion.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FrenchBen posted:

Oh thank everything for that, CT was a painful ride near the end; will check the rest out after the regular story for Heavensward is completed

Just be warned, it can really drag on because each and every boss has their own individual raid and prerequisite quests. The ending is pretty good, but hoo boy does it take a while to get there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Just be warned, it can really drag on because each and every boss has their own individual raid and prerequisite quests. The ending is pretty good, but hoo boy does it take a while to get there.

I think CT was the worst with that, barring one awful quest in the SB alliance raids. It's usually just one or two quick quests between each one.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

The man called M posted:

To be even more exact, the 54 HQ crafted gear at IL133 and the 55 dungeon gear at IL136 are the first potential upgrades to the 50 tomestone gear. That pattern repeats for Stormblood and Shadowbringers.

It's rare that anyone touches the crafted stuff. The 57 dungeon is likely the first place where Augmented Ironworks will start to feel a little out of date, although it's still perfectly doable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This is also why folks basically point to the relic weapon grind as being useful for glam gear, and for access to whatever side content they create that ties into it (a few trials in ARR, and Eureka and Bozja for SB/SHB), and not for actual long term utility of the weapon itself. It's great getting a weapon that's the highest ilevel possible for that level range! It's also going to be replaced with a dungeon drop 5 levels into the next expansion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tortolia posted:

This is also why folks basically point to the relic weapon grind as being useful for glam gear, and for access to whatever side content they create that ties into it (a few trials in ARR, and Eureka and Bozja for SB/SHB), and not for actual long term utility of the weapon itself. It's great getting a weapon that's the highest ilevel possible for that level range! It's also going to be replaced with a dungeon drop 5 levels into the next expansion.

Good gear only lasts 6 months, at most, but a good glam is forever.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Is there any information on what the Eureka/bozja equivalent relic grind area will be for Endwalker?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mainwaring posted:

Is there any information on what the Eureka/bozja equivalent relic grind area will be for Endwalker?

Not as of yet. Outside of Ishgard Housing/housing lottos, Island Sanctuary, and the new Ultimate, the trajectory of content in 6.1 and beyond is generally unknown.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FrenchBen posted:

Oh thank everything for that, CT was a painful ride near the end; will check the rest out after the regular story for Heavensward is completed

I would still recommend doing the Alexander raid series though, it has a pretty good story and some fun bosses and soundtrack. Also, its actually a 12 part series where each part deals with a single short section and boss, cut up with story quests and plot, so its fairly bite sized to progress through at your leisure.

Imho, Crystal Tower was a bit of a slog overall but I thought the last raid part in the void was pretty kickass.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I am so freaking addicted to this game it's not even funny

I just finished ARR and I'm working on getting every single job up to at least 30 so I can start on shadowbringers afterwards

At least I got my Regalia Mount :woop: but what's funny is I almost want to play Triple Triad more than the actual game. I don't know why but it's such a good mini game

Anyway hi fellow players! :) I'm on Cactuar because it's my favorite character in the FF series

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I just finished ARR and I'm working on getting every single job up to at least 30 so I can start on shadowbringers afterwards

At least I got my Regalia Mount :woop: but what's funny is I almost want to play Triple Triad more than the actual game. I don't know why but it's such a good mini game

Anyway hi fellow players! :) I'm on Cactuar because it's my favorite character in the FF series

TT is a great rabbit hole to fall down, because they add cards to a huge variety of content; if you want to get all the cards, you'll be directed into quite a bit of content along the way.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it really is something. I started in May and just finished Stormblood. It scratches every itch. JRPG craving? Nailed ( I've spent like 250 hours in this game). MMORPG Dungeon diver? Pff. Done. RPG class/alt builder? Yup, no talent trees or w/e but new job every time I get bored.

If they add 1/5 of Stardew/AC to the Islands I dunno. I guess I'll still buy and play some action games? Maybe? Like GoW, Bayonetta 3, but this is such a fulfilling game.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 16, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

I would still recommend doing the Alexander raid series though, it has a pretty good story and some fun bosses and soundtrack. Also, its actually a 12 part series where each part deals with a single short section and boss, cut up with story quests and plot, so its fairly bite sized to progress through at your leisure.

Imho, Crystal Tower was a bit of a slog overall but I thought the last raid part in the void was pretty kickass.

I love Alexander's soundtrack, I highly recommend it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Would you mind explaining this sentence? It implies to me a few incorrect assumptions that might stand to be corrected.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lmao Heavensward ending

"Oh no, the ascians are escaping again, what do we do? I know!
Chucks crystal at them

Also lol that the final boss was the knights of the round summon

Also also, the PC is kind of a dumbass. Like, why would you let the guy who has severe problems controlling one eye hold both of them?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

McCloud posted:

Lmao Heavensward ending

"Oh no, the ascians are escaping again, what do we do? I know!
Chucks crystal at them

Also lol that the final boss was the knights of the round summon

Also also, the PC is kind of a dumbass. Like, why would you let the guy who has severe problems controlling one eye hold both of them?

Re: the last part, this gets a lot easier to understand when you realize the Warrior of Light is literally Goku - a big dumb idiot who only cares about using their phenomenal power to fight other powerful people. They just stand by with a gormless look on their face while the bad guys chew scenery and power up, then punch their open palm while smiling and nodding before kicking their rear end. It happens multiple times.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

FrenchBen posted:

You'll be grateful you went through it eventually. There's a reason they made it mandatory.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Lmao Heavensward ending

The WoL is a reactive protagonist, not a proactive one. It’s no different from how in Prae we let Gaius monologue and casually stroll off to the Ultima Weapon.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
In the scene just prior, (3.0 ending) WoL stands there with a stern look on their face while Thordan monologues and completes his transformation to god-king. That fight would’ve been so much easier if we stepped in one minute sooner.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Nibble posted:

In the scene just prior, (3.0 ending) WoL stands there with a stern look on their face while Thordan monologues and completes his transformation to god-king. That fight would’ve been so much easier if we stepped in one minute sooner.

I could at least see the argument of ”screw it, let him do it now, and use up all of that stored up prayer energy instead of leaving it lying around for the next archbishop who gets delusions of grandeur to become an even harder battle”. Still no defense for not immediately squishing Nidhogg’s other eye, though.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lugubrious posted:

Re: the last part, this gets a lot easier to understand when you realize the Warrior of Light is literally Goku - a big dumb idiot who only cares about using their phenomenal power to fight other powerful people. They just stand by with a gormless look on their face while the bad guys chew scenery and power up, then punch their open palm while smiling and nodding before kicking their rear end. It happens multiple times.

Oh yeah (first Stormblood ending spoiler) Zenos has the WoL loving pegged in his "we're not so different, you and I" monologue. The WoL just loves to fight. Any other motivations are secondary to that.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well, I finished 5.0 last night so it'll be on to the epilogue stuff next.

I'm really enjoying this game, and the plot/writing is such a breath of fresh air after the last 10ish years of WoW's fumbling around.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So i did the alexander raid and got some precision gordian bolts? I did some light googling but still cant figure out what they're used for

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

McCloud posted:

So i did the alexander raid and got some precision gordian bolts? I did some light googling but still cant figure out what they're used for

Unlike most of the Alexander items, those are traded in for materials as part of the Anima weapon questline. Sabina in Idyllshire will give you one unidentifiable bone for three bolts. Those weapon require a lot of different materials along the way that can be bought in many different places. You can also get the unidentifiable bones/ores//etc with beast tribe currency, or for hunt currency, or just with poetics tomestones.

I think they used to be a Diadem thing, but that got completely reworked for the Ishgardian Restoration and doesn't have them anymore.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Peachfart posted:

I love Alexander's soundtrack, I highly recommend it.

Playing the Alexander (why are we spoilering that?) raids first will also make one of the post-Shadowbringers dungeons a lot cooler

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

God why are there so loving many of the alexander raids

I do like the cat the head gobbo has, though. I like the goblins in this game. They're very cute and likeable

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Are these anima weapons worth getting?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

McCloud posted:

Are these anima weapons worth getting?

If you like the look, yeah, I guess. Don't get them just for the stats, they're very marginally better than Poetics weapons. It is a lot of work and something you should try to do over a long period of time rather than grind out all at once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting news, I'm watching a streamer's coverage of Yoshi-P's interviews in recent stuff, and he highlighted something I haven't seen talked about : according to Yoshi-P, from the start of April to the start of October, FF14 has grown by two million accounts. And that this is why they're struggling so hard to cope with server issues and population: had someone suggested to the team in March that they'd grow by 2,000,000 accounts over six months, they would have been laughed out of the room. So bear that in mind when taking into account how hard they're working to cope with such unprecedented success.

Edit: Wrong FF14 thread, but gently caress it, it stays.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 16, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jesus there's no end to the alexander raids, i've done like 7 and they just. keep. going

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

Jesus there's no end to the alexander raids, i've done like 7 and they just. keep. going

You’re at the halfway point.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

McCloud posted:

There's 12. Every expansion has a twelve raid series (except ARR which has 13 one of which doesn't have a boss so it is also 12 really) and Alexander is it. They released in 4 raid segments originally.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Would you mind explaining this sentence? It implies to me a few incorrect assumptions that might stand to be corrected.

So basically what I want to do is at least get the soul crystals for the main jobs like conjurer, gladiator, etc because I want to find be able to explore different classes in the future and find which one I like the best. My "main" job is Black Mage, which is fine and I like it, but it can be a bit boring at times

Does that make sense? Please correct me if I've made any weird assumptions!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So basically what I want to do is at least get the soul crystals for the main jobs like conjurer, gladiator, etc because I want to find be able to explore different classes in the future and find which one I like the best. My "main" job is Black Mage, which is fine and I like it, but it can be a bit boring at times

Well the weird thing about what you said is there's 2 expansions between where you are now and Shadowbringers.

Also, if you have fun playing classes at very low level then go wild, but know that once you have finished Heavensward you can powerlevel a level 1 job to 20 in 15 minutes or so which skips some of the most tedious levels where you have no abilities and can't queue for dungeons.

CJ fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 16, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That's fine. I was just wondering about the "so" since that implied you thought you needed to do that, and "Shadowbringers" since you're still 2 expansions away.

But if that's what you wanna do to try them all out then go for it. Just keep in mind that you won't have THAT good of an idea how they play by 30.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of raids, I just remembered: does the Nier raid spoil anything from it’s home game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ah fudge I meant Heavensward - still getting used to the nomenclature! I swear I (sort of) know what I'm doing