Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

People usually lose one airpod, that’s why it’s priced that way, or they lose the case somewhere. Applecare loss coverage is only going to be available on phones since they can be located on a cell network and have their IMEI blacklisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So sounds like my best bet is to just buy a new pair and get new AppleCare?

I am for sure getting one of those cases that lets you attach an AirTag

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

priznat posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a clampable iPad holder so I can watch my iPad Pro (12.9”) lying in bed? Something that won’t drop it on my face. Most options in amazon seem to go up to 10.5” iPads.

I'm guessing you mean something to clamp to the headboard? I don't have one of those, but if a floor stand would work, I got this one to put next to my recliner and like it: https://www.amazon.com/Height-Adjustable-Rotating-Gooseneck-Attachable-12-9-inch/dp/B00HFRYAGQ/

It looks like the same company does have a clamp version with the same part for holding the tablet: https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-PAD-HGT-Heavy-Duty-Gooseneck/dp/B06X9SFLXB

(I should note I have the 11" iPad Pro so can't speak specifically to using the 12.9" in it, but it says it takes tablets up to 13" so it should be fine.).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this isnt the "Airpod Pro" thread, but Its applecare and I figure you guys probably know anyway.

So I think I lost my Airpods Pro. Which sucks, but, short of upending my house and office, I'm not sure what I can do. I have Applecare+ on them and apparently loss is not covered, but they allow you to buy the case and airpods individually.

The cost doesnt make sense though:

AirPods Pro $ 89 each
Wireless Charging Case for AirPods Pro $ 99

If I buy two airpods and the case, thats $277. A new set of Airpods Pro is $250. The only way I can think of that buying them separate makes sense is if my Applecare+ transfers to the ones I bought individually?

Otherwise it just makes more sense to go buy a new set of Airpods, right?

Do you have an iphone 12/13 and had the airpods firmware updated recently (would have been behind the scenes)? Because the find my device will now show you the exact location with the device, it's pretty neat. I think if it is out of your range if another iphone has passed nearby it might give you an update. Worth a shot if you haven't already tried. It's pretty comparable to an AirTag as far as I know.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I'm guessing you mean something to clamp to the headboard? I don't have one of those, but if a floor stand would work, I got this one to put next to my recliner and like it: https://www.amazon.com/Height-Adjustable-Rotating-Gooseneck-Attachable-12-9-inch/dp/B00HFRYAGQ/

It looks like the same company does have a clamp version with the same part for holding the tablet: https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-PAD-HGT-Heavy-Duty-Gooseneck/dp/B06X9SFLXB

(I should note I have the 11" iPad Pro so can't speak specifically to using the 12.9" in it, but it says it takes tablets up to 13" so it should be fine.).

Oh nice, yeah that brand looks pretty good. Thanks! also will have a look at the music supply option. Definitely would prefer clamping to a headboard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I found my AirPods! It took a lot of looking but I found them!

priznat posted:

Do you have an iphone 12/13 and had the airpods firmware updated recently (would have been behind the scenes)? Because the find my device will now show you the exact location with the device, it's pretty neat. I think if it is out of your range if another iphone has passed nearby it might give you an update. Worth a shot if you haven't already tried. It's pretty comparable to an AirTag as far as I know.

I do have an iPhone 12, but I have no idea if the AirPods firmware is up to date, how do I check/force that?

In the meantime I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Designed-Airpods-Keychain-Protection/dp/B098R823VX

But I'll return it if Apple has added similar functionality. I can definitely say for sure that none of my devices could find the airpods until I found them first and opened the case. Then all my devices lit up with "Airpods found!!" but thats pretty useless because it took me finding them first for my phone and ipad to find them.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 11, 2021

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do have an iPhone 12, but I have no idea if the AirPods firmware is up to date, how do I check/force that?
I don't believe there is a way to force the firmware to be updated, but put your AirPods Pro on and in your iPhone -> General -> About -> click on the name for your AirPods Pro -> Firmware Version is listed. I believe the latest version is 4A400. For the AirPods Pro the new firmware is supposed to allow them to be found via the Find My app, so things like nearby finding, a Lost Mode, and setting a warning where your iPhone will notify you if you leave your AirPods behind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah exactly that, it auto updated on mine then I got a notification I had left them behind (when I left them at home) and was like whoa what happen??

It is really cool now it can locate them to 1m even individual earbuds by using the directional finder.

I think only iPhone supports that and not any iPad though (for thread content :haw:)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there a thread suggestion for third party keyboard/mice that don't require AAA/AA batteries?

I don't want to buy a magic keyboard or whatever because I want to be able to set up my 2020 iPad Air separately on a mount, and have the keyboard/mouse be a separate entity.

In a few weeks/months I might want to get a dock/plug on the cheap so I can charge the ipad from the mount and hook up an external hard drive to it as well.

The Logitech K380 is available almost everywhere around for like $30, and I'm loving it with my iPad Mini 6. I don't know what another $70 gets you for the MX Mini, but, uh, yeah. Anyone have suggestions for BT mouses for an iPad? I see bestbuy has both the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S for $40... seems like that could be a good deal?

Re: Pencil 2 holder
I was initially going to get a second case for one, but that magnet is really strong, and I'm not throwing my iPad anywhere where it would get jostled anyways. I also kinda don't want anything unnecessary in my hands when I hold my iPad. I do worry about losing the Pen. If there was an emergency ringer like Find My Phone or an airtag-y thing on it that'd rule, but.... yeah. Idk

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The case I use for my Air4 has a slot on the edge for the magnetic pencil holder/charger, but it also has an elastic pocket on the back that you can slip the pencil into. Doesn't charge there, but it's held more securely and there's less risk of it getting knocked loose.

It's this one here: https://www.amazon.com/ZUGU-CASE-Model-Alpha-Case/dp/B08LF2PYV7. A bit expensive, but I really like the adjustable angles of the stand and the overall construction.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I lost my AirPods Pro. I looked for two days, even re-tracing my steps at the grocery store I was at earlier in the day. Couldn't find them. I purchased another pair along with AppleCare. Later in the day, after I purchased them, I found them in the pocket of some jeans sitting on my dresser.

I was able to return the AirPods but not the AppleCare. I considered the $30 bucks lost as my idiot tax. Hopefully now that the Find My stuff is more useful this kind of thing won't happen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A cool side note is that the dumb little coin pocket on a lot of khakis/chinos fits the AirPods case perfectly, it rules.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

The Logitech K380 is available almost everywhere around for like $30, and I'm loving it with my iPad Mini 6. I don't know what another $70 gets you for the MX Mini, but, uh, yeah.
Well there's this part:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there a thread suggestion for third party keyboard/mice that don't require AAA/AA batteries?
Not a huge deal as mentioned cause the battery life and all, but still, the K380 uses AAAs. Otherwise the main thing is better feeling keys/switches. Not that the K380 is bad or anything though, it works pretty well for a relatively mushy feeling keyboard.

But yeah it's a big price premium. Alternatively there's a bunch of other random brand keyboards that might feel solid, although I have questions about support and quality control and such with them.

quote:

Anyone have suggestions for BT mouses for an iPad? I see bestbuy has both the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S for $40... seems like that could be a good deal?
Probably fine? I got the M270 for like $20-30 way back from Costco, it works, although iOS mentions it can cause interference...might explain the weird keyboard issues I have every once in a while where it lags like hell until some keyboard power cycles. I'd guess a newer mouse is fine.

Main issue is that the ideal for iPad is a multitouch trackpad. Like you can map various stuff to a mouse to make it more useful (beyond left/right click and scroll), but only if you also turn on Assistive touch, which leaves a little virtual home button like thing on screen. Are any third party trackpads usable like the Magic Trackpad? Does Logitech make a standalone one that works like it, or just in their iPad keyboard+trackpad thing?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't want to buy a magic keyboard or whatever because I want to be able to set up my 2020 iPad Air separately on a mount, and have the keyboard/mouse be a separate entity.

In a few weeks/months I might want to get a dock/plug on the cheap so I can charge the ipad from the mount and hook up an external hard drive to it as well.

Take a look at Keychron keyboards, maybe the K2 would suit you?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Keychron’s new K7 is probably going to be the closest thing to the MX Keys Mini and/or Magic Keyboard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I lost my AirPods Pro. I looked for two days, even re-tracing my steps at the grocery store I was at earlier in the day. Couldn't find them. I purchased another pair along with AppleCare. Later in the day, after I purchased them, I found them in the pocket of some jeans sitting on my dresser.

I was able to return the AirPods but not the AppleCare. I considered the $30 bucks lost as my idiot tax. Hopefully now that the Find My stuff is more useful this kind of thing won't happen.

So I tested this out yesterday and it works but not like you’d want it to.

What find my AirPods does is note the last place you opened your airpod case. Which is somewhat useful if it’s still in the same place where you opened if, but if you open it and then move it, it’s pretty useless

I tested it by using them at my office, then when I went home (AirPods in my pocket) and used Find My, it said they were at my office when in reality they were two feet from my phone in my pocket

That AirTag AirPods case should deliver today and I think that’s what I’m going to rely on to find them should I lose them again.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That AirTag AirPods case should deliver today and I think that’s what I’m going to rely on to find them should I lose them again.

Got a link for the case?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I tested this out yesterday and it works but not like you’d want it to.

What find my AirPods does is note the last place you opened your airpod case. Which is somewhat useful if it’s still in the same place where you opened if, but if you open it and then move it, it’s pretty useless

I tested it by using them at my office, then when I went home (AirPods in my pocket) and used Find My, it said they were at my office when in reality they were two feet from my phone in my pocket

That's the old Find my functionality. Pros and Maxes are getting a new feature that alerts you if you leave them behind or a lost mode that works like an airtag

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrOnBicycle posted:

Got a link for the case?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098R823VX

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's the old Find my functionality. Pros and Maxes are getting a new feature that alerts you if you leave them behind or a lost mode that works like an airtag

I do have pros on the latest firmware and iOS 15 on my iPhone 12, and it seems to sort of work, sort of not

Do they work like airtags where other iPhones can find them?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Got the iPad Pro, magic keyboard feels great, pencil is fun, haven't done anything major productivity wise yet, but so far I am very happy

e: oh holy poo poo pdfs look gorgeous on this

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm half debating getting an ipad pro 12.9" but I just can't justify the price but for a mini-fake laptop/art tablet and use my phone as a hotspot makes me HRMMM

Oh that's a good question:

Can you hook up a controller to the ipads?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a logitech k780 and I think I bought it July 2020? I use it all day every day and I’ve never replaced the batteries so that seems like a lot of drama for nothing

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It's a little convoluted but you can install emulators on them as well without jailbreaking. They honestly make great gaming devices.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How long are replacement gift cards supposed to take to be e-mailed?

I traded in an 8th gen iPad to the Apple Store, ordered a new Mini, cancelled it because I noticed it was the wrong storage, now I'm waiting on that card and I've been told 1-2 days, called Apple on day 2, got told 3-5, called on day 5 and then told "wait until day 6". Kinda driving me insane and not great CS... Should I just go back to the store or something or does it take 5-7 days?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Is there a calendar app besides Fantastical that has a widget that shows month calendar + calendar events + reminders? I didn't think this would be some obscure thing, but other ones I've tried seem to at most do 2 of the 3 on one widget.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Got the iPad Pro, magic keyboard feels great, pencil is fun, haven't done anything major productivity wise yet, but so far I am very happy

e: oh holy poo poo pdfs look gorgeous on this

update: i am very tired and frustrated at how hard it is to get a handful of folders to sync from my desktop computer to my ipad. i would literally like itunes to just take my files and sync them to the ipad, but apparently that's too much to ask. drag and drop file storage has to be configured on a per app basis, and doesn't seem to sync automatically. my best effort so far is using readdle's documents app to sync a google drive folder, because lmao apple won't let you store files for offline use from icloud to the ipad in case you don't live in a major city's downtown 24/7.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Arivia posted:

update: i am very tired and frustrated at how hard it is to get a handful of folders to sync from my desktop computer to my ipad. i would literally like itunes to just take my files and sync them to the ipad, but apparently that's too much to ask. drag and drop file storage has to be configured on a per app basis, and doesn't seem to sync automatically. my best effort so far is using readdle's documents app to sync a google drive folder, because lmao apple won't let you store files for offline use from icloud to the ipad in case you don't live in a major city's downtown 24/7.

Why don’t OneDrive, Google drive etc work well for you?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Arivia posted:

Install iCloud for Windows, drop files into that folder, now you’re done?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bobfather posted:

I might be wrong but I don’t think the iPad pulls those files for offline use until they’ve been accessed?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the iPad Air 4 is my first iPad I've ever used, coming from Android, and I'm really grumpy about each app being sandboxed from everything else. I've never got any viruses or malware on the android ecosystem. It grinds my gears since I consider myself in general a "power user" and don't end up liking it when software keeps me from doing what I want.

But, I still like the ipad, it's just kind of backwards to me for things I consider "normal"

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use onedrive when i want to be 100% sure a cloud file moves to other devices - icloud drive is for "i'll look at in a few days"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a coloring app for use with the pencil that isn't in-app-purchase hell, or "tap to fill in the whole section" easy?

There was an app for the Microsoft surface that I loved that was literally just traditional coloring, pick your colors, fill in the shapes. Super relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Everything on the app store I can find doesn't seem to fit the bill, either being IAP central, or weirdly simple. I'm willing to pay for an app, but I can't seem to find one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a coloring app for use with the pencil that isn't in-app-purchase hell, or "tap to fill in the whole section" easy?

There was an app for the Microsoft surface that I loved that was literally just traditional coloring, pick your colors, fill in the shapes. Super relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Everything on the app store I can find doesn't seem to fit the bill, either being IAP central, or weirdly simple. I'm willing to pay for an app, but I can't seem to find one.

As an artist, Procreate is 100000% worth it.

Yes, 100,000%.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

As an artist, Procreate is 100000% worth it.

Yes, 100,000%.

Does it give you images to color in, that's what I'm looking for, not colorizing my own art or something

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 16, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hmm I haven't used my laptop since I got my iPad Pro. :/

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it give you images to color in, that's what I'm looking for, not colonizing my own art or something

It does not come with any, but you can download coloring pages for it. I googled "free procreate coloring book pages" and got a ton of hits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bobfather posted:

Again, iCloud doesn't let you mark folders for offline use on the iPad (that functionality is in the Windows application though). I want to be able to get things done when I don't necessarily have internet access.

Google Drive would technically work, but I'd rather not pay $15 a month to put 300GB of PDFs for personal/academic use in the cloud when I really just need them on my desktop and my ipad.

I found an iPad app called FileBrowser Pro that connects to SMB shares and syncs that way. It's slow, but it fits my use case perfectly. Most of this only needs to sync once and then just watch for additions thereafter, anyway.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Erm, the "Files" app can connect to smb shares. I use this feature to manually copy my keepass database to my phone every so often. It's a simple copy/paste operation into a folder on the phone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HungryMedusa posted:

It does not come with any, but you can download coloring pages for it. I googled "free procreate coloring book pages" and got a ton of hits.

Hmm I’ll check it out. I’ve heard lots of good things about procreate

Also I’d like to think that the open source copy of procreate would just be called “fuckin”, sort of like The GIMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comatoast posted:

Erm, the "Files" app can connect to smb shares. I use this feature to manually copy my keepass database to my phone every so often. It's a simple copy/paste operation into a folder on the phone.

Right, but I'm not trying to manually copy and paste things. I want to sync these folders. The app I found does that.