Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of raids, I just remembered: does the Nier raid spoil anything from it’s home game?

The only thing it spoils is what a few bosses look like, one from the very beginning of the game and one from close to the end (but not important). It certainly doesn't spoil any of the big important plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

CJ posted:

Well the weird thing about what you said is there's 2 expansions between where you are now and Shadowbringers.

Also, if you have fun playing classes at very low level then go wild, but know that once you have finished Heavensward you can powerlevel a level 1 job to 20 in 15 minutes or so which skips some of the most tedious levels where you have no abilities and can't queue for dungeons.

I would like to know more about the powerleveling (for any range, really). My poor googling says like... do hunting logs and potd for non-msq experience jobs early on and then do dungeons after.

I'm finally caught up MSQ-wise, but I have so much other stuff to do which is nice and kinda overwhelming at the same time. Unlocking the ARs and NRs all in a row is a bit of a slog. I won't mind when I can do the individual sets with the patches.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zet posted:

I would like to know more about the powerleveling (for any range, really). My poor googling says like... do hunting logs and potd for non-msq experience jobs early on and then do dungeons after.

I'm finally caught up MSQ-wise, but I have so much other stuff to do which is nice and kinda overwhelming at the same time. Unlocking the ARs and NRs all in a row is a bit of a slog. I won't mind when I can do the individual sets with the patches.

Yeah, hunting logs until you can do first dungeon and then doing dungeons is a good strategy. POTD is somewhat depreciated at this point but if you just want to grind mindlessly it's not the worst option out there (better if you're a DPS who wants to skip dungeon queues).

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

McCloud posted:

God why are there so loving many of the alexander raids

Because it's 2 years worth of raid content.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ah fudge I meant Heavensward - still getting used to the nomenclature! I swear I (sort of) know what I'm doing

I still always mix up Stormblood and Shadowbringers, it's understandable.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Leraika posted:

Yeah, hunting logs until you can do first dungeon and then doing dungeons is a good strategy. POTD is somewhat depreciated at this point but if you just want to grind mindlessly it's not the worst option out there (better if you're a DPS who wants to skip dungeon queues).

15 minutes is probably an exaggeration. It's more like an hour or two. Hunting logs+ class quests are real good until level10/11/12 or so, but probably won't push you over the top to 15 where you can queue for Sastasha. You will have to do some FATEs/Leves, probably. FATEs are generally a better use of your time, but if you are real close to a level and don't see any decent FATEs up a leve probably isn't the worst idea. The area between 10-15 is probably the only part of the game where I'll say battlecraft leves don't suck. Also the 2 level 10 guildhests give decent bonus xp at this level if you do them the first time for that job. Just queue for the roulette as you are doing FATEs, then queue for the one you didn't get afterwards, also continuing to do FATEs.

At level 15 you should run Sastasha, and then you should run Tam-Tara or LDR if you don't have the reward for the day and that should bump you to 20 or beyond.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

sweet geek swag posted:

15 minutes is probably an exaggeration. It's more like an hour or two. Hunting logs+ class quests are real good until level10/11/12 or so, but probably won't push you over the top to 15 where you can queue for Sastasha. You will have to do some FATEs/Leves, probably. FATEs are generally a better use of your time, but if you are real close to a level and don't see any decent FATEs up a leve probably isn't the worst idea. The area between 10-15 is probably the only part of the game where I'll say battlecraft leves don't suck. Also the 2 level 10 guildhests give decent bonus xp at this level if you do them the first time for that job. Just queue for the roulette as you are doing FATEs, then queue for the one you didn't get afterwards, also continuing to do FATEs.

At level 15 you should run Sastasha, and then you should run Tam-Tara or LDR if you don't have the reward for the day and that should bump you to 20 or beyond.

I have no idea why you're quoting me about exaggerating when I said nothing about how long it'd take?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Leraika posted:

I have no idea why you're quoting me about exaggerating when I said nothing about how long it'd take?

I added that part later after I'd written the whole thing, the part directed towards you was the part about hunting logs getting you to 10/11/12.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
my fav trick for levelling over 30 is pvp swap. I'm a decent hand at MCH, but suck rear end at melee so queue as say a new 30 drg and swap classes in the setup room pre fight - you get your roulette + base exp for the original class. You cannot cheese exp amounts this way though

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Zet posted:

The fastest way to get to 20 is to go to the beach on Kholusia once you unlock Shadowbringers and pull the enemies there and have a level 80 kill them for you. They don't have a ranged attack so you can pull them and soak the XP. This is very fast but requires you to get to 70 and unlock Shadowbringers at the least.

This video says it's also possible in the final zone of Heavensward but i've never tried it myself and i don't know how long it takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYClNUfMCs&t=149s

The other low level strategy i know of is to go to Camp Tranquil in South Shroud and run the Adamantoise TEars Guildleve over and over. It's a level 30 Guildleve where you don't have to fight anything so it gets you to 15 to unlock dungeons relatively quickly if you don't have anyone to powerlevel you.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

CJ posted:

The fastest way to get to 20 is to go to the beach on Kholusia once you unlock Shadowbringers and pull the enemies there and have a level 80 kill them for you. They don't have a ranged attack so you can pull them and soak the XP. This is very fast but requires you to get to 70 and unlock Shadowbringers at the least.

This video says it's also possible in the final zone of Heavensward but i've never tried it myself and i don't know how long it takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYClNUfMCs&t=149s

The other low level strategy i know of is to go to Camp Tranquil in South Shroud and run the Adamantoise TEars Guildleve over and over. It's a level 30 Guildleve where you don't have to fight anything so it gets you to 15 to unlock dungeons relatively quickly if you don't have anyone to powerlevel you.

I do this for my friends at Ondo. The dagons there have an activation animation so they're super easy to intercept.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CJ posted:

At that point you're not leveling character fast, your friend is.

Might as well buy the lvl 70 boost from mogstation at that point. It is the fastest way to level.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of raids, I just remembered: does the Nier raid spoil anything from it’s home game?

There's a couple things that are technically insane spoilers but if you've never played Automata you would have 0 context and probably wouldn't remember them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Added this to the start of the thread for the benefit of the WoW refugees.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Bland posted:

Because it's 2 years worth of raid content.

This is a key point and why you don't have to do entire raid series all at once! There's usually 6-8 months between each 24 man raid or set of 4 8-mans. If it's burning you out then spread them across multiple sessions. CT is the only mandatory raid and i don't suggest waiting until the game forces you to do them to start those either.

adhuin posted:

At that point you're not leveling character fast, your friend is.

Might as well buy the lvl 70 boost from mogstation at that point. It is the fastest way to level.

There's a middle ground between "bump up to a level where I can play jobs in content that gives me more than three buttons" and "buy a job skip".

The beach in SHB is amazing for powerleveling BLU but they get a world exp bonus so that's fast. Other jobs are going to take a lot longer. But if a friend wants to down mobs for you for a job that has roulette options, cool. Buy them dinner or something.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Approximately how much money do you need to set aside for a house? I'm trying to save up to have enough to enter the lottery for Ishgard housing once that opens up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pobrecito posted:

Approximately how much money do you need to set aside for a house? I'm trying to save up to have enough to enter the lottery for Ishgard housing once that opens up.

Depends on what you want. Small plots are like 1.5-3.8 million gil, mediums are like 8 to 20 million, and large are 20 to 50 million. And then you have to buy a permit for a small, medium, or large house for 450k, 1 million, or 3 million gil respectively.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Pobrecito posted:

On top of that you need to buy the house itself, which cost quite bit extra.

Arists low end prices are for plots that nobody bought and have depreciated in price multiple days.
Currently plots are going as fast as they are buyable even on the smallest servers.
Mediums/Larges are snagged within minutes of them coming available.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pobrecito posted:

The absolute maximum you need for Any Small Plot is 4.2 million - that gets you a 1st class small plot (3.75 million) and the small house construction permit itself (450k).

Of course, then you're gonna be spending $$$texas on furniture and stuff but that's the entry point.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I just resubbed and I'm level 60 something whm. I've never played XIV with friends, usually just solo, and I burn out from the msq. I'm digging it again but I'm still solo. Do most people who play this find themselves isolated? Do I need to get to the max level before I start trying to establish myself with a group in-game? Most of my mmo playing was back with EQ1, a little bit with City of Heroes and FFXI but I fell off around when wow came out. I think I'm more used to needing to rely upon others? I feel essentially anonymous when I do duties or am out and about

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

There are some crafted houses on the market board that cost way more.

If you want a Chocobo-house or a smithy, you have to pay some premium prices :getin:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

derra posted:

I do this for my friends at Ondo. The dagons there have an activation animation so they're super easy to intercept.

Good tip. I just tried it on my paladin as they don't start with ranged abilities. It took 5 mins to get to 15, and 12 mins total to get to 20.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gay_crimes posted:

I just resubbed and I'm level 60 something whm. I've never played XIV with friends, usually just solo, and I burn out from the msq. I'm digging it again but I'm still solo. Do most people who play this find themselves isolated? Do I need to get to the max level before I start trying to establish myself with a group in-game? Most of my mmo playing was back with EQ1, a little bit with City of Heroes and FFXI but I fell off around when wow came out. I think I'm more used to needing to rely upon others? I feel essentially anonymous when I do duties or am out and about

It's definitely better social, even if social things in any game can be a little double edged. Just having some FC (guild) conversations and activities going on can make things lively, and especially as a healer you might find the dungeon content a bit more engaging if you know another person or two in the group. They might be doing stuff well out of your level reach at the moment, but there are a ton of people levelling right now so there's a good chance you can find a group that works in your level range. There's also minor buffs, like more exp or cheaper teleports, that can smooth out the experience.

Most of the MSQ is and will forever be a solo experience, though. You'll never need to rely on anyone, aside from doing duties with random players,

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

gay_crimes posted:

Are you in an FC? How about the Novice Network for your server? FCs are much more social than the equivalent in most other MMOs I've played, and you can search for ones recruiting in-game to find one that looks like a good fit. The one I'm in does events, like running old raids for mounts and glams, parties at the FC's house, and other stuff. Novice Network is another social aspect you might not be taking advantage of - it's a global chat channel for sprouts and mentors and while it's ostensibly for newbies to ask questions, it basically just ends up being general chat most of the time.

Be warned, though, that Novice Network on some servers is apparently a toxic cesspool full of all kinds of terrible people. The one on Adamantoise wasn't too bad, but some can apparently be absolutely awful.

The MSQ overall is pretty isolating, this is true, but there's plenty of social aspects to be found in other parts of the game. Joining an FC you vibe with is a big one, so don't be afraid to "shop around" until you find a group you like.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I think my problem is that I haven't intentionally sought out an FC. I'm in one right now, but it was a rando invite and it appears to be dead (I'm the only one online). In past mmos, I'd find guilds more organically through teaming up with others on the server, but I can go shopping if that's the drawback for the rest of the QOL stuff in this game

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Leraika posted:

sweet geek swag posted:

It's more like an hour or two. Hunting logs+ class quests are real good until level10/11/12 or so, but probably won't push you over the top to 15 where you can queue for Sastasha.

Basically that. It's easier once you get to 50 to fly (or at least to 30 to get the chocobo battle buddy), but after that point? Just do the job quests and the first two hunting logs plus any FATEs you run into enroute and you're set. You'll be running with the armory bonus (100%) + Brand New Ring (30%) + Well Fed buff (3%) and probably The Road To 70 (100%) - so +233% xp gains. It blasts by extremely fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chillgamesh posted:

There's a couple things that are technically insane spoilers but if you've never played Automata you would have 0 context and probably wouldn't remember them

Yeah, those are less spoilers and more PTSD triggers for survivors of the games.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lugubrious posted:

FCs are much more social than the equivalent in most other MMOs I've played, and you can search for ones recruiting in-game to find one that looks like a good fit.

This is absolutely true and took me way too long to discover. I was in the mindset of guild = raid group as it is in WoW and other MMOs, but it’s not the case here.

FCs are all about just chatting, doing roulettes and other random group content together, fun events, decorating the FC house, etc. Raid groups are organized separately by most people, called a “static”, as in a static party you do hard content with instead of a matched or Party Finder group.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Since almost all content in the game is level synched and folks are usually leveling or running *something*, this game suffers much less from "folks are going to ignore me until level cap" syndrome. Find an active FC and use it to find folks to run stuff with.

All else fails, transfer to a server with goon FCs. They're incredibly busy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

How do you make money in this game, i wanna become a land owner

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best way to make money is to play the marketboard, find stuff that's being sold for very little in comparison to its actual value, buy it, and resell it for a higher value that will still get sold.

Other than that, find a demand that needs supplying and supply it. Raid consumables are generally in demand but those also have a lot of supply, plus we're currently in a progression lull. Furniture can be sold for a lot, but it generally has less of a buyerbase. Everything else is kind of server/data center dependant. If nothing else, get your daily treasure map with the most expensive map you can get with your gathers and sell it for quick cash, or run it for larger rewards at the expense of time.

For non marketboard ways of making money, make far too many coffee biscuits/dwarven steel files and do the levequests associated with them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McCloud posted:

How do you make money in this game, i wanna become a land owner

Sell a map daily if you have a high level gatherer.

Do the Coffee Biscuit levequest until your brain leaks out if you have a high level CUL, or just buy them off the MB in bulk when they're cheaper than the turn in rewards.
Selling crafted housing items is usually steady income if you're careful.

Rare items from deep dungeons, eureka, bozja, etc. can bring in a big windfall, but it's mostly trash.

Send your retainers on the quick ventures constantly and sell rare dyes and stuff when they come in.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you have no interest in crafters and gatherers, run maps. A couple of hours in a group clearing Zonureskins is still profitable. Map profits are far better at the start of patches though.

Long-term, retainer ventures are a lot of free gil, but it will be less profitable with only combat jobs. Ideally you want desynth for some of the gear they bring, which takes some crafting. The highest value targeted material explorations tend to be the gatherer ones as well.

I really recommend leveling a gatherer job or three if you can be arsed. Maps alone are 300k+/week, gathering lets your retainers do the more profitable ventures, and you can gather reasonably profitable HW and StB materials at no gear investment.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

CJ posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even know this! Thanks :)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Finally figured out not being to use aetherflow/lustrate etc. - it was due to me being an idiot and not reading tooltips. :cripes:

Anyway, done with ARR and onto HW now!

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

If you have no interest in crafters and gatherers, run maps. A couple of hours in a group clearing Zonureskins is still profitable. Map profits are far better at the start of patches though.

Long-term, retainer ventures are a lot of free gil, but it will be less profitable with only combat jobs. Ideally you want desynth for some of the gear they bring, which takes some crafting. The highest value targeted material explorations tend to be the gatherer ones as well.

I really recommend leveling a gatherer job or three if you can be arsed. Maps alone are 300k+/week, gathering lets your retainers do the more profitable ventures, and you can gather reasonably profitable HW and StB materials at no gear investment.

For 2 retainers, do you ideally want both gatherers or should you go 1 combat / 1 gather? Either way, does the combat job you pick matter besides the retainer's level cap on that job?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I generally go 1 combat 1 gatherer because it's generally easier to find gathered materials than hunted ones.

The choice of combat job does not matter except for what gear your retainer uses and the level cap.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bragon posted:

For 2 retainers, do you ideally want both gatherers or should you go 1 combat / 1 gather? Either way, does the combat job you pick matter besides the retainer's level cap on that job?

Combat job doesn't matter, make them whatever.

I think it's really worth having a combat one because they can gather stuff that drops from enemies and those sorts of things can be obnoxious to farm yourself. Gathering 100 logs as a botanist doesn't take much time at all if you want to do it yourself, but getting twenty skins to drop from something can take a while. Fishers are also good retainers since specific fish can be annoying to farm due to time restrictions, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does it matter to have retainer ilvl/gathering higher than that needed for the mission? (Perception helps gatherers get HQ stuff, I think, but I don’t care about that.)

E: specifically, am I more likely to get dyes and rare stuff from quick exploration with even higher ilvl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Subjunctive posted:

Does it matter to have retainer ilvl/gathering higher than that needed for the mission? (Perception helps gatherers get HQ stuff, I think, but I don’t care about that.)

E: specifically, am I more likely to get dyes and rare stuff from quick exploration with even higher ilvl?

Yes. You will get a notification that the retainer's gear has allowed them to find better rewards.

I don't know how much it affects things, but I see the notice.