Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you talking about hitler?

Sorry, IDGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I just took it to mean that there isn’t anyone else going around stabbing people at random, and they clearly intended to kill this one person and this one person only, so nobody else in the local area need panic…?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

I just took it to mean that there isn’t anyone else going around stabbing people at random, and they clearly intended to kill this one person and this one person only, so nobody else in the local area need panic…?

But how would they know that? Especially if it's supposedly terrorism?

The police aren't known for worrying about whether people are afraid or not.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it just means that there isn't another person roaming around with a knife. It's said to reassure the public, not to announce the investigation has already ended. If they had the man, and the witness statements, then they it's likely the police would know how many attackers there were on scene.

It's like when a family is found dead in their home and the police say they're not looking for anyone else. It usually means the husband/father has killed everyone and them himself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

i say swears online posted:

this thread was the furthest left on the whole forums like ten years ago, with mccaine posting his morning star articles. it's much more conservative now hth

I missed the halcyon days clearly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

this thread was the furthest left on the whole forums like ten years ago, with mccaine posting his morning star articles. it's much more conservative now hth

My impression is that the threads views are more mainstream and popular than they where 10 or 15 years ago (I've been on SA for 21 years).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Trickjaw posted:

Sorry, IDGI

A man who hated humans, but loved animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler_and_vegetarianism

quote:

noted that Hitler used vivid and gruesome descriptions of animal suffering and slaughter at the dinner table to try to dissuade his colleagues from eating meat.
several eyewitness sources maintain Hitler was a vegetarian because of his concern for animal suffering, noting that he was often distressed by images of animal cruelty and suffering, and was an antivivisectionist.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm *deeply* suspicious about how quickly the police announced that they weren't looking for anyone else. That struck me as very odd, as the announcement came at the same time as the arrest, and *before* the announcement of the death. It's definitely not something they could have said with such confidence with just the evidence they had to hand at the time, IMO.

I can't quite put my finger on it but it just doesn't sit right. Even if you suppose he was under active enough investigation for them to know that he was acting completely alone (and I have to say that would have to be to the level of "They knew he took the bus or walked there so there isn't a loose end to be tied up of whether whoever drove him there knew what was going on", i.e. full-on surveillance) they would surely want to go through his house and electronics to make certain that he wasn't under the control of someone else.

Now the part of my brain that is forever :tinfoil: is thinking "Maybe they know *exactly* who inspired him to do this and are desperately hoping nobody else finds out" but even that doesn't quite line up - like even if you assume he was being provoked by state actors into doing something they could nick him for and it got out of hand, they surely wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do a bit of Clancying about vast underground sleeper cell networks and by the way here's our budget application for next year?

Like I say, it's an odd little detail, but it's preying on my mind.

terrorism generally implies more than one person involved in the act, so it is a bit sus that they’re not looking for anyone else unless they either knew exactly who it was beforehand, or they have absolute no idea what’s going on but want to give the impression to the general public that they do

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah i do recall the previous terrorist incidents leading to 4am raids and a bunch of arrests (which in turn lead nowhere, iirc). so i'm kinda mildly :tinfoil:-ing about the whole thing too. most likely it's just awkward wording though

i guess if you're sufficiently :tinfoil:-inclined you could charitably read their announcement as them engaging in a bit of subterfuge so as not to spook any other possible suspects or whatever before the inevitable 4am raids. but this does seem a bit far-fetched

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

It's like when a family is found dead in their home and the police say they're not looking for anyone else. It usually means the husband/father has killed everyone and them himself.

Smh to think the wife/mother couldn't have offed everyone with a botulism laced beans on toast.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm *deeply* suspicious about how quickly the police announced that they weren't looking for anyone else. That struck me as very odd, as the announcement came at the same time as the arrest, and *before* the announcement of the death. It's definitely not something they could have said with such confidence with just the evidence they had to hand at the time, IMO.

I can't quite put my finger on it but it just doesn't sit right. Even if you suppose he was under active enough investigation for them to know that he was acting completely alone (and I have to say that would have to be to the level of "They knew he took the bus or walked there so there isn't a loose end to be tied up of whether whoever drove him there knew what was going on", i.e. full-on surveillance) they would surely want to go through his house and electronics to make certain that he wasn't under the control of someone else.

Now the part of my brain that is forever :tinfoil: is thinking "Maybe they know *exactly* who inspired him to do this and are desperately hoping nobody else finds out" but even that doesn't quite line up - like even if you assume he was being provoked by state actors into doing something they could nick him for and it got out of hand, they surely wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do a bit of Clancying about vast underground sleeper cell networks and by the way here's our budget application for next year?

Like I say, it's an odd little detail, but it's preying on my mind.

It's the thing that makes most sense to me. The press are saying Somali. He wasn't. he was British Somali, born here, raised here lived in that constituency. If he had mental health problems, and no one committing murder is going to be right in the head, then he will most likely already be known to the local plod.

If only there was someone in that community who could have voted against care in the community, Austerity, and mental health services cuts?!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ooh, I see. No, just David Amess. Wildly homophobic, hater of immigrants and Europeans, voted exclusively to cutbenefits for the poorest, against abortion, etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm *deeply* suspicious about how quickly the police announced that they weren't looking for anyone else. That struck me as very odd....

Yeah but everytime a helicopter flies over you we end up with flight path diagrams and tea leaf readings as to why the Queen is definitely dead.

Trickjaw posted:

Ooh, I see. No, just David Amess. Wildly homophobic, hater of immigrants and Europeans, voted exclusively to cutbenefits for the poorest, against abortion, etc.

surprisingly down to earth though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

I think it just means that there isn't another person roaming around with a knife. It's said to reassure the public, not to announce the investigation has already ended. If they had the man, and the witness statements, then they it's likely the police would know how many attackers there were on scene.

Right and that makes sense in the context of a domestic violence case, but with terrorism - although the trend has definitely been towards self-radicalised lone wolf attacks - you surely can't say with quite such certainty that he was working alone and that there isn't another person (or persons) in a queue at another MP surgery, or the local Tesco for that matter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah but everytime a helicopter flies over you we end up with flight path diagrams and tea leaf readings as to why the Queen is definitely dead.

It wasn't a tea leaf reading, what kind of hack do you take me for?

It was a *dream*. HTH.

(Speaking of helicopters I was riding through the West End at around 1800 and there was a police helicopter at not-much-higher-than-rooftop height buzzing around Piccadilly and Regent's Street but tbh that probably just means someone a bit scruffy was hanging around Fortnums)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

nurmie posted:

yeah i do recall the previous terrorist incidents leading to 4am raids and a bunch of arrests (which in turn lead nowhere, iirc). so i'm kinda mildly :tinfoil:-ing about the whole thing too. most likely it's just awkward wording though

i guess if you're sufficiently :tinfoil:-inclined you could charitably read their announcement as them engaging in a bit of subterfuge so as not to spook any other possible suspects or whatever before the inevitable 4am raids. but this does seem a bit far-fetched

I just think the commonly accepted definition of terrorism has mutated somewhat into a general ‘killing for ideological reasons’. You don’t have to be part of some sort of cell in order to Do A Terrorism these days.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right and that makes sense in the context of a domestic violence case, but with terrorism - although the trend has definitely been towards self-radicalised lone wolf attacks - you surely can't say with quite such certainty that he was working alone and that there isn't another person (or persons) in a queue at another MP surgery, or the local Tesco for that matter.

Generally, with terrorist attacks, it seems like if it's been an hour after the initial incident and nothing's happened, probably nothing else will that's directly related.
I assume this is because with domestic terrorism, the various agencies start looking for relevant info pretty quickly and if there's information about a suspect it won't be long before they start making links to possible collaborators, which would make it harder for the next attack to happen.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Aginor posted:

Love this.

What always concerns me about this forum is how weirdly passive aggressive you all are. A man died today and whether you believed in his politics or not it is not right for someone to walk into a place and stab someone to death.

So, if I was walk in and murder you Skeletone what would you like people to say about you? That you deserved it?

if I vote like this feel free to stab me mate, because it's clear I'm not making the world a better place

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what a oval office :rip:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

terrorism generally implies more than one person involved in the act

It really doesn't have to, actually.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Skeletome posted:

if I vote like this feel free to stab me mate, because it's clear I'm not making the world a better place

ah yes but he liked animals

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As far as I know it wasn't declared terrorism at the time, only after the suspect (who iirc was detained at the scene) was in custody. So presumably (and yes I'm giving the police credit here which they do not deserve) they declared it terrorism after speaking to the guy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aginor posted:

Love this.

What always concerns me about this forum is how weirdly passive aggressive you all are. A man died today and whether you believed in his politics or not it is not right for someone to walk into a place and stab someone to death.

So, if I was walk in and murder you Skeletone what would you like people to say about you? That you deserved it?

A oval office died.

I dunno, I've been on the front lines of care for the last eight years and have watched the cuts happen in real time and have seen people die because of them. I really, really struggle to feel anything at this man's death.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jel Shaker posted:

terrorism generally implies more than one person involved in the act

what about dr no

or that shoe bomber bloke

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
or michael stone

:mcrappe:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Scikar posted:

There's a significant and meaningful difference between using "we" to collectively support one another, and using "we" to try to claim support for your point of view on a contentious topic.

There's an interesting thing called "clusive we" in some languages, and I really, really wish English was into nicking grammar as well as vocabulary.

What they have that we don't is 2 separate pronouns for we. One is "inclusive we" - me and you and possibly other people depending on context. And the other is "exclusive we" - me and other people, not including you.

And once you get the difference it's an interesting exercise to figure out which "we"'s are inclusive and which exclusive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

or michael stone

Didn't he actually try and claim that was terrorism-themed performance art?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

or michael stone

That picture never fails to make me laugh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always think it's steven seagal whenever I see the picture, not familiar with the context though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/hidschow/status/1449359813557751809?t=gct3kAPxrh7-Jj7Y5g0MFg&s=19

quote:

The withdrawal of the offer was welcomed by campaign group Global Justice Now.

The group's director Nick Dearden said: "If Matt Hancock wants to help African countries recover from the pandemic, he should lobby the prime minister to back a patent waiver on Covid-19 vaccines.

"If he'd done that when he was in government, tens of millions more people could already have been vaccinated.

"The last thing the African continent needs is a failed British politician. This isn't the 19th Century."
loving get his rear end, Nick.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I always think it's steven seagal whenever I see the picture, not familiar with the context though.

It's from the popular cartoon series "The Simpsons", and shows one of the main characters, Homer - the father of the titular family - eating a cake.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The snippets of news I've seen on the killing say the chap had been reported to Prevent but wasn't an active MI5 person of interest. God only knows of that's true or not.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

forkboy84 posted:

Or the TL;DR version

What if I said I was a socially conservative but fiscally Marxist militant anti-Zionst who hopes the Tories burn in hell?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

so's the morning star, unfortunately

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

The snippets of news I've seen on the killing say the chap had been reported to Prevent but wasn't an active MI5 person of interest. God only knows of that's true or not.

I mean that would be consistent with apparently every other terror attack in recent history. Except the ones where they were actively being monitored by MI5 lmao.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

crispix posted:

what about dr no

or that shoe bomber bloke

i agree SPECTRE is an issue, but i mean that nobody comes up with a spectacular plot in a vacuum. the days of comic book attacks are gone and we’re just left with random knife stabbing garbage

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

His odds of being Northern Ireland secretary have increased.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

what a oval office :rip:

what a Tory :rip:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm not sure that's true err also who are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aginor posted:

Love this.

Also, who are you?